• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Repent! Repent! the White Death Is Coming! - the Sequel

In summary, the National Weather Service is issuing a winter storm watch for the Midwest. They are predicting 6 to 13 inches of snow, with the highest amounts possible in southeastern Wisconsin. Strong winds may cause blowing and drifting snow. Those with travel plans Sunday and Sunday evening should keep up with the latest forecasts.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Almost exactly a year ago, I started a thread with this title because the weather service was making a dire prediction about a giant snowfall that was supposed to inundate the midwest. It did snow, but not as bad as they told us it would be.

Well, they're at it again.

"The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch which is in effect from Sunday morning through Sunday evening.

Snow amounts generally in the 6 to 13 inch range are possible Sunday into Sunday evening with the highest amounts over southeast Wisconsin, slightly lower amounts are possible to the northwest. In addition...strong winds with the low may cause blowing and drifting snow. Those with travel plans Sunday and Sunday evening should keep up with the latest forecasts."

Thirteen inches? YIKES! (Totally tasteless joke about spam deleted.)

Just like last year's thread, I probably shouldn't make light of it because maybe it will snow. But...maybe not. I wonder how long it will be before the church cancellations start coming in - based entirely on the forecast.

Well, off to the store again to stock up before the hoarders get it all.

(You can do a search to find last year's thread if you want to see the origin of that silly phrase.)

I have so much running to do this weekend, but so much to do at home that I really wouldn't mind an excuse to have to stay at home, inside ALL weekend! Let it snow, let it snow, let it SNOW!:sing:

We don't have white death predicted, we have rain in the forecast. With accompanying dire predictions of flooding because the ground is still frozen and the rain will have no place to go.

I'm so sick of this white CRAP!!!:grumpy: :yuck:
Going to Florida next month with my mom & 3 kids (I'm paying for it with PC $$!!) and I keep looking on the weather site. Looks like I should expect 80's & sunny.....I SOOOOOO can't wait!!!!:p :D :p

We've only had the following so far:February Total Snowfall: 8.5 inchesFebruary Total Liquid Precipitation: .68 inches2008 Precipitation: 1.68 inchesSnow Depth: 19 inches2007-2008 Snow Total: 49.80 inchesETA: 21.7" YTD (2008)VERY different than all of those south of us!!!!Have fun with all of it......and KG - I hope you didn't put up a new mailbox yet...it's bound to be hit again!

Last edited:
Are you kiddin'? I already need the jaws of life to open the mailbox.

We have a couple days reprieve, and then Sunday, rain/freezing rain...turning to snow Sunday night - which, if it happens like that, means no school AGAIN on Monday.....:grumpy: It makes me grumpy because DS only has 2 days of school a week to begin with, but has had a cancellation of 1 day for the last 4 weeks. Although it is part of the public school system, we have to pay tuition - and they won't have make-up days, so I feel like it's a waste of money. I'm paying the same amount, but he is only going half of the time for which he is enrolled!:grumpy:

THAT would make me mad, too! Why do you pay tuition... is DS in pre-school?

Yes, her DS would be in preschool.My DD had off yesterday and today for teacher training. It was good though because we are all sick. We pay for her to go to a private school but there is no tuition, just fees so we only pay about $350 for the entire year.

janetupnorth said:
Yes, her DS would be in preschool.My DD had off yesterday and today for teacher training. It was good though because we are all sick.

We pay for her to go to a private school but there is no tuition, just fees so we only pay about $350 for the entire year.
Are you home sick today, Janet?:yuck: To bad you aren't closer.....I'd bring you some chicken soup!:chef:And yes, Katie - he's in preschool.....I guess all of our property taxes don't cover preschool.

ChefBeckyD said:
We have a couple days reprieve, and then Sunday, rain/freezing rain...turning to snow Sunday night - which, if it happens like that, means no school AGAIN on Monday.....:grumpy: It makes me grumpy because DS only has 2 days of school a week to begin with, but has had a cancellation of 1 day for the last 4 weeks. Although it is part of the public school system, we have to pay tuition - and they won't have make-up days, so I feel like it's a waste of money. I'm paying the same amount, but he is only going half of the time for which he is enrolled!:grumpy:

Yeah, I'm getting pretty irritated with that too. My DS goes M,W,F, and it seems like lately she only goes 1-2 days a week. Yet I still have to fork over ALOT of $$:grumpy: :mad: :cry: :yuck: She loves it, but geesh, it's really getting expensive!!:eek:

ChefBeckyD said:
Are you home sick today, Janet?:yuck:

To bad you aren't closer.....I'd bring you some chicken soup!:chef:

And yes, Katie - he's in preschool.....I guess all of our property taxes don't cover preschool.

No, I'm working sick since I went home early yesterday and I never do that!!!!

My annual review is today - a month late...if I feel up to it. I told my boss yes but I'll be coughing through the whole thing.

I've already used 1/2 box of kleenex and 1/2 bottle of Purell today!!!!

At least I'm not out cold like yesterday with chills/hot flashes, aches and pains and a horrid headache...

Today I'm just coughing bad...

I have a show on Sunday afternoon with 18 guests so far. I'm praying the snow takes a nice little detour, or at least waits until I'm done!

Janet, sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Maybe a review with a nice huge FAT raise will make you feel better!

I feel bad, but when I hear that you're predicted to have 13 inches and freak out make me laugh hysterically! I know, I know, you're not used to getting that much there, but my husband left for a training a week ago, and since then we've had over 2.5 feet and it's falling again. And that's only because it turned into rain most of the day yesterday.

I'm just praying it stops because my husband keeps getting stranded in Anchorage and can't make it home. :(

The Kat Lady had a phone tech into her office yesterday. He's from Sault Sainte Marie. There's not much going on there this time of the year, so he takes reassignments to keep working. He was laughing at us, too.13" of snow doesn't freak me out - while I've never been in a place as snowy as Alaska, let alone Sault Ste. Marie or even Houghton, Michigan (you gotta really want to live there to live there) it just doesn't scare me.And, for the record, I get really annoyed at places that start cancellations a day or two in advance, based on a prediction.

dianevill said:
I have a show on Sunday afternoon with 18 guests so far. I'm praying the snow takes a nice little detour, or at least waits until I'm done!

Janet, sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Maybe a review with a nice huge FAT raise will make you feel better!

That would make me feel better, but for the last 4-5 years, although I've gotten "top scores" on my review, we only get 3-4% increase at the most. :(

Oh well, it is something.

Today, I widened my driveway back to the original width. I figured I better get it ready for the next snow. I'm sure I'll be feeling it tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be recovered by the time I have to dig out on Monday. I may take my neighbor up on her offer to let us use the snow blower. I hate noisy things like that, but my body may not be able to take the shoveling any more. I even dug out my mailbox so the mail carrier could drive up to it and I could too. I was out there with a pointed shovel, the kind I use to dig up big weeds and dig holes for planting bushes and trees. After the big storm, we are supposed to get more lake affect snow. Surprise, surprise. Had it today, too. It was clear and sunny about a 40 minutes east of here while we were getting an inch or two of snow, just enough to cover the dirty stuff and give me something to shovel for exercise. I wish I didn't have to wait until spring break to go south. That's almost 2 months away!

Anybody want to stop for tea at my house?? Ha, you want snow I understand where Tanoi is coming from we have a TON this year. Monday was a blizzard and it hasn't stopped snowing yet. It's now past my hips in the yard and that's with out the snow drifts. I am so sick and tired of it!!

JAE said:
Today, I widened my driveway back to the original width. I figured I better get it ready for the next snow. I'm sure I'll be feeling it tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be recovered by the time I have to dig out on Monday. I may take my neighbor up on her offer to let us use the snow blower. I hate noisy things like that, but my body may not be able to take the shoveling any more. I even dug out my mailbox so the mail carrier could drive up to it and I could too. I was out there with a pointed shovel, the kind I use to dig up big weeds and dig holes for planting bushes and trees. After the big storm, we are supposed to get more lake affect snow. Surprise, surprise. Had it today, too. It was clear and sunny about a 40 minutes east of here while we were getting an inch or two of snow, just enough to cover the dirty stuff and give me something to shovel for exercise. I wish I didn't have to wait until spring break to go south. That's almost 2 months away!

Wait! 40 minutes east of you? I'm about 40 minutes east.....well, maybe 30 minutes east.....and it snowed here too. Enough so that I couldn't see the tracks DH's truck made this morning when he left - the driveway was covered in snow again when I left at 11am.....of course, I didn't shovel, I just drove through it, and I'll let DH use the snowblower tonight!:D

JAE said:
Around here, it's okay to call a spade a spade. ;)

You could always go to Benton Harbor - that's south.

ChefBeckyD said:
Wait! 40 minutes east of you? I'm about 40 minutes east.....well, maybe 30 minutes east.....and it snowed here too. Enough so that I couldn't see the tracks DH's truck made this morning when he left - the driveway was covered in snow again when I left at 11am.....of course, I didn't shovel, I just drove through it, and I'll let DH use the snowblower tonight!:D

Ahh snowblower, good investment. I need one!!! And a pump for all the stupid stinking flooding this Spring:( Every year it's pretty bad around here cause we live next to a lake. I can't even imagine how bad it's going to be this Spring.:eek:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Around here, it's okay to call a spade a spade. ;)

You could always go to Benton Harbor - that's south.

And they tend not to get as much snow. . .they are too close to the lake.

Now where I live (approx. 25 miles southeast of BH) is just far enough away from the lake to get dumped on big time. I don't want to watch the weather news. I have 3 shows next week (and the week after). I don't want to drive through awful stuff or reschedule.

My SIL told me that in Grand Rapids, which is 40-45 minutes northeast of me, it was clear and sunny while it was snowing here. I was just trying to say that it seems to always snow here more than east of me. I'm 1 mile from Lake Michigan, and it seems we always have more snow here than even 10 or 15 minutes east.

Becky, you need to visit your mom. You can see the piles of snow surrounding my driveway. Most of it, I threw up there. Wanna feel my muscles?

JAE said:
My SIL told me that in Grand Rapids, which is 40-45 minutes northeast of me, it was clear and sunny while it was snowing here. I was just trying to say that it seems to always snow here more than east of me. I'm 1 mile from Lake Michigan, and it seems we always have more snow here than even 10 or 15 minutes east.

Becky, you need to visit your mom. You can see the piles of snow surrounding my driveway. Most of it, I threw up there. Wanna feel my muscles?

That's funny, because often when I talk to my mom, we actually have more snow here then you do there....you're close enough to the lake that it passes over you and hits us! I think this year, there is plenty of snow for everyone though!

The piles of snow.....Today, I was washing dishes during the time when kids were walking home from school...my kitchen sink faces the street, and I was watching the kids walk by my house, walking on top of the snow banks! It just looked funny - they were higher than the cars!

JAE said:
My SIL told me that in Grand Rapids, which is 40-45 minutes northeast of me, it was clear and sunny while it was snowing here. I was just trying to say that it seems to always snow here more than east of me. I'm 1 mile from Lake Michigan, and it seems we always have more snow here than even 10 or 15 minutes east. Becky, you need to visit your mom. You can see the piles of snow surrounding my driveway. Most of it, I threw up there. Wanna feel my muscles?
EEEEEEEyyyyyyyeeeewwwwwwww.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
EEEEEEEyyyyyyyeeeewwwwwwww.
Very funny! I can't even find things in my posts that you would "read into", even when I'm looking!

Nice, KG, nice.

Sarcasm and annoyance - just two more services I graciously provide.

At least you know you provide a valuable service for us!;)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Sarcasm and annoyance - just two more services I graciously provide.

Oh I feel another T-shirt idea coming on........

Ann are you listening?? You could be making a pretty penny here!!!

Of course you have already thought of this cause you know everything.

And another CS t-shirt..."Ask Ann"

<giggle>
I'm not trying to make money off Cheffers.

He! He! oh no Ann, didn't mean that way of course!!!!!

Oh and Jae that's another good one................

How about an advice column? Ann Chefders?

We need to make a button for Ann... black with white, lowercase letters... "got questions?"

dianevill said:

I have a show Monday night w/18 people coming! I so hope it doesn't get as bad as they say it will!:cry:

pampchefrhondab said:
I have a show Monday night w/18 people coming! I so hope it doesn't get as bad as they say it will!:cry:

I just got off the phone w/ my host, and we're going to play it by ear. We both sooo want this show! If it looks like we have to cancel, she already has enough for a small catty, so she can still get her 2 60% off pieces, and then we'll rebook for March.

The forecast keeps changing, so I'm not going to worry about it right now. I'm packed and ready to go.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, too, Rhonda!

dianevill said:
I just got off the phone w/ my host, and we're going to play it by ear. We both sooo want this show! If it looks like we have to cancel, she already has enough for a small catty, so she can still get her 2 60% off pieces, and then we'll rebook for March.

The forecast keeps changing, so I'm not going to worry about it right now. I'm packed and ready to go.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, too, Rhonda!

Thanks Diane! I have to pack for mine tomorrow! I so want the sales from this show! I'm not counting on it being huge since many of the people just came to a show about 3 weeks ago, but it still should be OK w/that many people!

We are playing it by ear too. I told the host I would let her decide if she wants to re-schedule (unless I can't get out of my drive way!!) I'll still send the show in as a February even if we go into March.

Unfortunately our weather looks better for Sunday then it does Monday. I have my own show at my house Sunday (Close to My Heart). I hope it's okay for that too!

Good Luck with your show and let us know how it goes!

The best way to face a big snow storm is plowed.

ChefBeckyD said:
That's funny, because often when I talk to my mom, we actually have more snow here then you do there....you're close enough to the lake that it passes over you and hits us!

That's what I'm talking about! My sister lives in St. Joseph and we routinely have more snow in Niles.

Still can't make myself turn on the weather channel.

Niles? Really? I spent an eternity there one night.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Niles? Really? I spent an eternity there one night.
...and....

If I had realized that South Bend wasn't that far away, I wouldda gone south. I don't remember the name of the place, I just remember it was...extremely average.

I'm gonna take the blame for all the snow this winter.

I'm being punished for buying a driveway......

Nah, the driveway didn't do it.It was the new lawn mower.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The Kat Lady had a phone tech into her office yesterday. He's from Sault Sainte Marie. There's not much going on there this time of the year, so he takes reassignments to keep working. He was laughing at us, too.

13" of snow doesn't freak me out - while I've never been in a place as snowy as Alaska, let alone Sault Ste. Marie or even Houghton, Michigan (you gotta really want to live there to live there) it just doesn't scare me.

And, for the record, I get really annoyed at places that start cancellations a day or two in advance, based on a prediction.
Yeah, hubby and I have agreed that the Great Lake states will NEVER be on our wish list. I think their weather is worse than Alaska's! Thus why I live in the snow capital of AK, not the snow capital of the US. That's definitely got to be in one of those states. Ugh!
But I do get a laugh out of places that pray for a snow day due to a prediction. When we lived in Kodiak a couple of years ago, they were on a 33 year streak of no snow days. I almost felt bad watching those little kids literally being blown down the icy roads to the busttop.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
If I had realized that South Bend wasn't that far away, I wouldda gone south. I don't remember the name of the place, I just remember it was...extremely average.
That sounds like the place we stayed in Niles on an overnight car club trip a couple of years ago. It was actually a little less than average, but was across the street from a restaurant with awesome breakfasts!

Well, here we have only had snow 2-3 times all winter with no real accumulation!! It has gone back and forth between hot and cold all winter trying to make up its mind what it wants to do. And here when they get the first flake of snow they cancel everything too!!! I am from WV and am used to lots of snow and it just kills me when they start cancelling everything. In WV they just put chains on the school bus tires and go on!! LOL

Around here they don't cancel school at the first sight of show, but it isn't unusual for a 1 or 2 hour delay to be called the night before. Most of the time, this is even more obnoxious than just cancelling school. Oh well.

chefann said:
That sounds like the place we stayed in Niles on an overnight car club trip a couple of years ago. It was actually a little less than average, but was across the street from a restaurant with awesome breakfasts!
I bet it's the same place - kinda back off the street, next to a big warehouse or some large, industrial building. I don't know about the breakfast place, though. I can't eat on an empty stomach.

<h2>1. What is the National Weather Service predicting for this upcoming storm?</h2><p>The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch for Sunday morning through Sunday evening, with snow amounts ranging from 6 to 13 inches and strong winds causing possible blowing and drifting snow.</p><h2>2. How does this forecast compare to last year's prediction?</h2><p>Last year, a similar dire prediction was made, but the actual snowfall was not as severe as expected.</p><h2>3. What areas will be most affected by this storm?</h2><p>The highest snowfall amounts are expected in southeast Wisconsin, with slightly lower amounts possible to the northwest.</p><h2>4. How should people with travel plans prepare for this storm?</h2><p>Those with travel plans on Sunday and Sunday evening should stay updated on the latest forecasts and be prepared for potential road closures and delays due to snow and strong winds.</p><h2>5. When did the original thread with the "Repent! Repent!" title start and what was its purpose?</h2><p>The original thread was started almost exactly a year ago and its purpose was to mock the overly dramatic prediction of a giant snowfall by the weather service. The title of the thread is a reference to a popular phrase used by doomsday preachers.</p>

1. What is the National Weather Service predicting for this upcoming storm?

The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch for Sunday morning through Sunday evening, with snow amounts ranging from 6 to 13 inches and strong winds causing possible blowing and drifting snow.

2. How does this forecast compare to last year's prediction?

Last year, a similar dire prediction was made, but the actual snowfall was not as severe as expected.

3. What areas will be most affected by this storm?

The highest snowfall amounts are expected in southeast Wisconsin, with slightly lower amounts possible to the northwest.

4. How should people with travel plans prepare for this storm?

Those with travel plans on Sunday and Sunday evening should stay updated on the latest forecasts and be prepared for potential road closures and delays due to snow and strong winds.

5. When did the original thread with the "Repent! Repent!" title start and what was its purpose?

The original thread was started almost exactly a year ago and its purpose was to mock the overly dramatic prediction of a giant snowfall by the weather service. The title of the thread is a reference to a popular phrase used by doomsday preachers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates