• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

So, to Go With the Gardening, How About Composting?I'm Still

In summary, the individuals in this conversation are discussing composting and sharing their experiences and tips. Some are new to composting and are still learning, while others have been doing it for a while. They discuss what materials can and cannot be composted, how to deal with pests, and different methods for composting. Some are hesitant to start composting, while others are enthusiastic about it.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
So, to go with the gardening, how about composting?

I'm still learning...we have a pile of grass/leaves in our back yard "processing" from last year...I dug into it yesterday and it still has steam coming from it...

Rather than burning the paper coming in the PC boxes, I should run it through my shredder and add that to the pile...

Anyone well-versed in composting to give some tips?

Re: Composting...
janetupnorth said:
So, to go with the gardening, how about composting?

I'm still learning...we have a pile of grass/leaves in our back yard "processing" from last year...I dug into it yesterday and it still has steam coming from it...

Rather than burning the paper coming in the PC boxes, I should run it through my shredder and add that to the pile...

Anyone well-versed in composting to give some tips?

I'm new to composting too. We had a pile like that, and DH spread it over the garden area last week...but then it rained, so it hasn't been tilled in yet...

Re: Composting...Well, we'll just keep learning together! :)

Re: Composting...We have a compost pile where we put organic kitchen waste. However, it never gets a chance to compost. It's become a take-out joint for the local vermin.

raebates said:
We have a compost pile where we put organic kitchen waste. However, it never gets a chance to compost. It's become a take-out joint for the local vermin.

Too funny, and I bet they love you for it!

Re: Composting...Yes, we're very popular among the local raccoons, opossums, cats, dogs, foxes, groundhogs, voles, mice, rats, and such.

Re: Composting...DH and I don't compost, but we do feed the local critters when we have bread that's gone stale (or green), stale chips/pretzels, etc. We put them on the picnic table and watch the squirrels and birds come partake.

Re: Composting...We compost. We use all of our left over vegetables, bread, nut shells, grass clippings, and paper without ink on it. We do not compost like garlic and onions due to the odor. We have a garbage can with an lid that we drilled holes in so the air can break down the stuff inside.

It is sort of neat that one week the can will be pretty full then a few weeks later the can will be down to a half.

This part sounds gross. Any time there are fruit flies or ants you need to add water to the top of the compost to get rid of these. They are not water lovers.

Let me know if you have any questions.

julia.poe said:
We compost. We use all of our left over vegetables, bread, nut shells, grass clippings, and paper without ink on it. We do not compost like garlic and onions due to the odor. We have a garbage can with an lid that we drilled holes in so the air can break down the stuff inside.

It is sort of neat that one week the can will be pretty full then a few weeks later the can will be down to a half.

This part sounds gross. Any time there are fruit flies or ants you need to add water to the top of the compost to get rid of these. They are not water lovers.

Julie - thanks for that info!

Re: Composting...[shrug]Compost Occurs.[/shrug]

Re: Composting...Interesting!!!

I want to start composting!

Re: Composting...I've had a composter sitting in my back yard for a year now....I don' tknow what to do with it! I've had people telling me I have to put a "foundation" of wood at the bottom and treat it and blah blah...can't I just start throwing stuff in there?!?!

PamperedK said:
I've had a composter sitting in my back yard for a year now....I don' tknow what to do with it! I've had people telling me I have to put a "foundation" of wood at the bottom and treat it and blah blah...can't I just start throwing stuff in there?!?!

Is it a compost bin, a tumbler, or what?

If it has an open bottom, it is meant to go in your yard somewhere...from what I've been reading in the last week or so...

You can put starter or accelerator in it, but I'd just start heaping stuff in. :D

etteluap70PC said:
Interesting!!!

I want to start composting!

Why? There's already a lot of it around here.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Why? There's already a lot of it around here.

Ha..ha..ha... :D

Re: Composting...We just started throwing food in, you can put a little dirt in their if you like but if you put wood in the bin, it will take forever to break down.

janetupnorth said:
Is it a compost bin, a tumbler, or what?

If it has an open bottom, it is meant to go in your yard somewhere...from what I've been reading in the last week or so...

You can put starter or accelerator in it, but I'd just start heaping stuff in. :D

It's just a big bin with an open bottom.

Re: Composting...I recently bought materials to build a compost bin, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I have a flyer I got from an earth day festival I went to with directions for composting on it. I know some people use worms in there bins to help speed up the compost process. You just start layering things in there, you can use lots of organic materials as long as it's not meats or oils. They said to start by putting some dirt in the bottom and then throw the other stuff on top. Just make sure you turn it every once and a while and the hotter it is the faster it will compost. That's all the info I recieved anyway, I still need to do it myself!

Re: Composting...I would love to compost to but am worried about not doing it correctly. We also have had a real bad mouse problem in our yard in years past! (Thank God for Moth balls)

So with the farm crates that we get delivered weekly we receive a composting bucket that we put all our scraps in and the next week the bucket is returned with fresh compost. Yayyyy!

Re: Composting...Rennea, that's much faster than making your own.

raebates said:
Rennea, that's much faster than making your own.

I think so and so much easier :) Every 2 weeks we get a little bucket back and I think that should be more then enough.

Re: Composting...Wow, that's a nice service Rennea.On the worm composting, do a little reading before you try it...it is a little different that just composting in a bin and you have to give them air and adequate "stuff" per amount of worms.

Re: Composting...we have a pile, I'm thinking about enclosing it somehow

I add mostly kitchen waste-
fruit/veggie peelings and waste
egg shells
coffee grounds/filter

dont add meat or dairy products

then I just cover w/ leaves,grass clippings

rennea said:
I would love to compost to but am worried about not doing it correctly. We also have had a real bad mouse problem in our yard in years past! (Thank God for Moth balls)

So with the farm crates that we get delivered weekly we receive a composting bucket that we put all our scraps in and the next week the bucket is returned with fresh compost. Yayyyy!

Wow, just like the old milkman!

Well, sort of.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Wow, just like the old milkman!Well, sort of.
My parents still have the door in their house... :)Nothing like milk in a cold glass bottle...same with Coke...not the same in plastic...
Yes, I FAINTLY remember that...

Last edited:
janetupnorth said:
My parents still have the door in their house... :)

Nothing like milk in a cold glass bottle...same with Coke...not the same in plastic...

Yes, I FAINTLY remember that...

My great-uncle was the milkman in our town. I still remember getting milk in glass bottles, and leaving the empties for him to pick up!

Re: Composting...Both of my sisters have milkmen and dairy delivery. Which is quite a coincidence since they live several states apart (CO and WI).

Re: Composting...We get our milk in glass containers, just not delivered.

chefann said:
Both of my sisters have milkmen and dairy delivery. Which is quite a coincidence since they live several states apart (CO and WI).

That's a pretty big route!

janetupnorth said:
My parents still have the door in their house... :)

I wouldn't recommend using it as a compost chute.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
That's a pretty big route!

He probably knows this guy whose truck hit 1M miles last year:

http://www.local2209.org/million/defaultmillion.asp

Of course, Frank delivers seafood, not milk...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I wouldn't recommend using it as a compost chute.

That'd be a pretty crappy use of it...

Re: Composting...HA! And I didn't say they had the SAME milkman. :)

julia.poe said:
We compost. We use all of our left over vegetables, bread, nut shells, grass clippings, and paper without ink on it. We do not compost like garlic and onions due to the odor. We have a garbage can with an lid that we drilled holes in so the air can break down the stuff inside.

Do you have any holes drilled in the sides? How do you get the "stuff" out of the bottom of the can when it's ready? Do you stop for a while and then use it all at once or do you pull from the bottom?
:confused:I'm confused, can you tell?!:blushing:
I want to start doing this but I live in town so I need a bin to compost in. I looked at them on-line and they are kind of pricy. I don't want to spend $50-100 on a bin if I can just get a plain old garbage can.

Re: Composting...I went to a seminar yesterday on composting by our local cooperative extension (I don't know if they are nationwide or just local to NYS). They had 3 different bins -- the black type you buy (if you use this, take the lid off in the summer), a large one made out of fencing (cover in the winter, at least for us in "snow country" and the third was three bins of wood (move compost from bin 1 to 2 to 3, etc. All 3 take about one year to compost down materials.They did say to crush egg shells. Basically in the layering of the piles (like lasagne they said) to use a 2 to 1 mixture. Always start with sticks on the bottom (for ventilation I guess), then layer food products (veggie cuttings, etc.) spread out with 2 times as much brown materials (wood chips, paper shreads, sticks, etc.). I know I'm not good at explaining all of this, but it seems pretty easy to do and you can pick a variation that fits your needs and neighborhood. They even showed us one type to keep under your sink with worms in it (covered). Yuck. I guess it is good for apartments they said. If you use a garbage can, I'd definitely put a lot of holes in t he sides and bottom for drainage. They said we do need the summer rains to help the process, but not to let too big a pile of snow accumulate.

Re: Composting...Thanks for the tips!

1. What is composting and why is it beneficial for gardening?

Composting is the process of decomposing organic materials, such as food scraps and yard waste, into a nutrient-rich soil amendment. Adding compost to your garden can improve soil health, increase plant growth, and reduce the need for chemical fertilizers.

2. How do I start composting?

To start composting, you will need a compost bin or pile, a mix of green and brown materials (such as food scraps and yard waste), and water. Layer your materials in the bin, keeping the pile damp but not too wet. Turn the pile regularly to aerate it and speed up the decomposition process.

3. How can I use paper from PC boxes in my compost pile?

Instead of burning the paper from your PC boxes, you can shred it and add it to your compost pile. The paper will provide carbon, which is essential for a healthy compost pile. Just make sure to mix the shredded paper in with other materials to prevent clumping.

4. Can I add meat or dairy products to my compost pile?

No, it is not recommended to add meat or dairy products to your compost pile. These materials can attract pests and create an unpleasant odor. Stick to adding plant-based materials, such as fruits and vegetables, to your compost.

5. Any other tips for successful composting?

To ensure successful composting, make sure to balance the ratio of green and brown materials in your pile, keep it moist but not soggy, and turn it regularly to aerate. You can also speed up the process by shredding larger materials and adding a compost starter or some finished compost to your pile.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Bren706
  • RaggedyAunt