• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Plus Size Consultants and Insurance

In summary, Carol is looking for health insurance for herself. She has been turned down by three different companies and is not sure what to do. She recommends trying Pampered Perks.
cwinter474
Gold Member
I'm searching for health insurance for myself. My husband and daughter are covered thru the state due to disabilites. I'm 46yrs old, 5'2 and weigh .... well let's just say I'm over weight. I have NO medical conditions, other than my weight and I'm not on any medications.

I've been turned down by 3 differant companies. Told I need to lose 40pounds and one of them would cover me. OR pay $530 a month for insurance.

I know some of you are plus size. Who carries your insurance?

Help!

feel free to email or PM me if you'd rather not post here. I need insurance, I'm not getting any younger.

Yes, I've gone thru the insurance listed on the Pampered Perks, though maybe I didn't pick the right company.

Thanks

Carol

Hmmm...that was going to be my suggestion. I haven't had insurance in over 10 years myself because of my employment/unemployment record. I am 5'8" and plus size as well!

Try Pampered Perks company. My husband is in the Navy so I'm covered automatically but I do have life insurance through USAA. I too am 5'7 and plus size but have good blood pressure and cholesterol.

I'm sorry, I'm no help. I am plus size as well, but my husband is in the Army so I am automatically covered - and thankful for it everyday. I know that I had trouble getting life insurance at one point because of it and it's more expensive and not as high as I would like it to be. I did speak with the Pampered Perks vendor at conferece about what they offer but he was simply an agent who finds the insurance for you. Give them a try and see what they can do.

cwinter474 said:
Yes, I've gone thru the insurance listed on the Pampered Perks, though maybe I didn't pick the right company.

Carol

Been thru Pampered Perks..... The two companies I chose thru them denied me.

pcchefjane said:
Hmmm...that was going to be my suggestion. I haven't had insurance in over 10 years myself because of my employment/unemployment record. I am 5'8" and plus size as well!

If I were you, I'd try to get some sort of health insurance. Medical care is soooo darn expensive!

When I was 24, I left my current teaching position and began to work at a non profit organization teaching pre-K for at risk kids. I meant to sign up for their insurance, but completely forgot and missed the deadline, so I had to wait a year. Signed up for it the next year, although I almost missed the deadline again, b/c I just hadn't made it a priority. I was 25 at that time, in good health, no prior conditions...well, you get the idea. I'm lucky I signed up for it when I did. About a month later, I began to have vertigo for no reason...got to the point I couldn't turn my head, or tilt it, or even sit still for fear of the world tipping upside down and spinning out of control. The dr just discounted me. Then I developed excruciating headaches first thing in the morning...which turned into all day...which eventually included neck pain. I was taking 4 advil, every 4 hours, and it didn't touch it. The dr. just prescribed me pain pills, but blew me off, I guess b/c I was an otherwise healthy 25 year old. Then I began to have intermitten naseau and bouts of vomitting, once a day, that eventually turned into all day every day. I lost 10 pounds in 3 days b/c I couldn't eat, I was in debilitating pain, I was vomitting constantly, etc. Finally, my husband (who was my fiance at that point) went with me to the dr b/c he couldn't believe that I had been begging for a CT and they wouldn't order me one, esp. with my condition. He saw them try to blow me off again. I looked at this dr (different than my usual), told him I was on 6 different meds, including 3 different pain meds, I had never been in an accident, I had no reason to be in such pain, and I wanted a CT. I needed him to get me an appt. I didn't care if I had to pay for it out of pocket.

After my CT, while I was on my way home, the drs office called and sent me to the hospital for an emergency MRI. After my MRI, the neurosurgeon on call came in, told me they found the cause of my problems, but I needed emergency surgery. Turns out I had a large lemon sized cyst growing rapidly in my cerebellum. It had closed 3 of the 4 major ventricles in my brain and my 4th was dangerously close to closing. I was in surgery the next day. After he drained it, I had immediate relief (well, after the side effects from brain surgery wore off).

All that to say that, just from beg. symptoms to surgery (and subsequent time in the neuro ICU, then the step down unit), totaled to over $65,000. If I hadn't had insurance, I would have had to pay for that out of pocket. :eek: :eek: :eek: Luckily, I only had to pay $2000, then insurance covered it all, b/c that was my max out of pocket amount.

At my 6 month follow up MRI, they noticed it growing again, so I had to have another surgery to implant a shunt for continuous drainage. Then at another follow up MRI, they noticed a spot that is either a tumor or a cluster of blood vessels. That warranted a trip to a major hospital over 1 1/2 away that could do a nuclear test. I have to get an MRI once a year, follow up with my nuerosurgeon, and am looking at another surgery sometime in the next few years (when the shunt fails/breaks and needs a replacement, plus to remove or biopsy the mysterious spot).

I haven't even begun to add up those costs yet.

So, it is scary to me...when I hear of people going w/o insurance...b/c I know how quickly something so serious (and random) can hit.

ChefJoyJ said:
If I were you, I'd try to get some sort of health insurance. Medical care is soooo darn expensive!

When I was 24, I left my current teaching position and began to work at a non profit organization teaching pre-K for at risk kids. I meant to sign up for their insurance, but completely forgot and missed the deadline, so I had to wait a year. Signed up for it the next year, although I almost missed the deadline again, b/c I just hadn't made it a priority. I was 25 at that time, in good health, no prior conditions...well, you get the idea. I'm lucky I signed up for it when I did. About a month later, I began to have vertigo for no reason...got to the point I couldn't turn my head, or tilt it, or even sit still for fear of the world tipping upside down and spinning out of control. The dr just discounted me. Then I developed excruciating headaches first thing in the morning...which turned into all day...which eventually included neck pain. I was taking 4 advil, every 4 hours, and it didn't touch it. The dr. just prescribed me pain pills, but blew me off, I guess b/c I was an otherwise healthy 25 year old. Then I began to have intermitten naseau and bouts of vomitting, once a day, that eventually turned into all day every day. I lost 10 pounds in 3 days b/c I couldn't eat, I was in debilitating pain, I was vomitting constantly, etc. Finally, my husband (who was my fiance at that point) went with me to the dr b/c he couldn't believe that I had been begging for a CT and they wouldn't order me one, esp. with my condition. He saw them try to blow me off again. I looked at this dr (different than my usual), told him I was on 6 different meds, including 3 different pain meds, I had never been in an accident, I had no reason to be in such pain, and I wanted a CT. I needed him to get me an appt. I didn't care if I had to pay for it out of pocket.

After my CT, while I was on my way home, the drs office called and sent me to the hospital for an emergency MRI. After my MRI, the neurosurgeon on call came in, told me they found the cause of my problems, but I needed emergency surgery. Turns out I had a large lemon sized cyst growing rapidly in my cerebellum. It had closed 3 of the 4 major ventricles in my brain and my 4th was dangerously close to closing. I was in surgery the next day. After he drained it, I had immediate relief (well, after the side effects from brain surgery wore off).

All that to say that, just from beg. symptoms to surgery (and subsequent time in the neuro ICU, then the step down unit), totaled to over $65,000. If I hadn't had insurance, I would have had to pay for that out of pocket. :eek: :eek: :eek: Luckily, I only had to pay $2000, then insurance covered it all, b/c that was my max out of pocket amount.

At my 6 month follow up MRI, they noticed it growing again, so I had to have another surgery to implant a shunt for continuous drainage. Then at another follow up MRI, they noticed a spot that is either a tumor or a cluster of blood vessels. That warranted a trip to a major hospital over 1 1/2 away that could do a nuclear test. I have to get an MRI once a year, follow up with my nuerosurgeon, and am looking at another surgery sometime in the next few years (when the shunt fails/breaks and needs a replacement, plus to remove or biopsy the mysterious spot).

I haven't even begun to add up those costs yet.

So, it is scary to me...when I hear of people going w/o insurance...b/c I know how quickly something so serious (and random) can hit.

Believe me I know how scary it is not to have insurance. That is why I posted here trying to find out where people are able to get covered. Seems like most are covered with their hubbies.

I know you're looking. I just wanted to put that out as a cautionary tale to people who don't think they need health insurance.

Good luck! I'll keep my ears open for you...

Thanks Joy, I really appreciate it

Does your state have a health & human services department? I don't know your income but perhaps there is a program through the state?

crystalscookingnow said:
Does your state have a health & human services department? I don't know your income but perhaps there is a program through the state?

Hubby and daughter are covered. I would only be covered if I was pregnant, which ain't happening! No factory here.

Thanks for the idea

What about a major medical plan? That wouldn't cover dr. visits & things like that but should you end up in the hospital, the plan would kick in. I have no idea if that would even work for you or not, but I've heard of it.

Did you ask the agent why the plan for you was so high? If it's group coverage, they would be basing it off of others your age. An individual plan shouldn't be so bad though.

I would recommend major medical coverage also especially if you are finding a normal plan too expensive. If you don't go to the doctors very often you could just pay out of pocket for those, but have the insurance in case, god forbid, you have to be hospitalized for some reason.

It is true that you just never know when something might happen, my husband had a gallbladder attack and ended up with pancreatitus and was hospitalized for almost a month because of it and they billed our insurance over 80,000 for all of his expenses. It is crazy what medical expenses are nowadays.

Like most others we are covered through my husbands work policy and I am so thankful for that every time I have to take the kids to the doctors. I really hope you can find something that will work for you, I'll keep you in my prayers.

Hadn't really thought of major medical. I will certainly look into it.

They wouldn't accept me due to my weight. I'm 40 pounds overweight according to them, to be covered on their medical, yes, they were group policies. I'm 5'2 and weigh 188, and have NO medical problems, I've had my gallbladder out, and a hystorectomy (not splet right, removal of baby factor) and I'm not on any prescriptions.

Geeze, what more do they want.

Last edited:
I don't think they are as picky so to say with major medical because you aren't going to be using it on a day to day basis if that makes sense. I know when my husband switched jobs we had a 6 month waiting period for the insurance to kick in and I got major medical for both of us for that time being. I don't remember having to go through any physicals or what not.

The other thing to is a lot of times doctors will give you a discount if you are a cash paying customer if you ask. They might charge 150 for a visit but insurance doesn't pay them that much, I think our insurance pays about 60 per visit so they are only getting a percentage of their fee. Since they take reduced amounts from insurance companies it is worth asking if they will reduce the fee for you since you are paying cash.

PCMomto4 said:
I don't think they are as picky so to say with major medical because you aren't going to be using it on a day to day basis if that makes sense. I know when my husband switched jobs we had a 6 month waiting period for the insurance to kick in and I got major medical for both of us for that time being. I don't remember having to go through any physicals or what not.

The other thing to is a lot of times doctors will give you a discount if you are a cash paying customer if you ask. They might charge 150 for a visit but insurance doesn't pay them that much, I think our insurance pays about 60 per visit so they are only getting a percentage of their fee. Since they take reduced amounts from insurance companies it is worth asking if they will reduce the fee for you since you are paying cash.

We have been doing that for years, doctors, even labs and hospitals will/can drasticly reduce your bill if you can pay in full. Saving add up

Carol

I'm way more plus sized than you and I have coverage through work.

I'm not sure what to tell you. I've never had to shop for insurance. The coverage I get through work is pretty cruddy.

After my divorce 9 years, I had to deal with the whole insurance issue (along with everything else). I started working for the school dist., mainly to be on my children schedule...but also for the benefits for myself. There have been times over my 8 years with PC that I wished I could do this full-time...but I can't give up those outside benefits. Have you thought of getting another job...just for the benefits???

I have, thought of going back to work, but I've not been able to find one where I can work enought hours to get benifits and be able to take my daughter and hubby to doctors and therapy, I am thinking more and more of a night shift somewhere, don't know when I would get to sleep.

1. Can plus size individuals become consultants for Pampered Chef?

Yes, Pampered Chef welcomes consultants of all sizes and body types, including plus size individuals. We believe that anyone can be successful in our business, regardless of their size.

2. Will I need to purchase special insurance as a plus size consultant?

No, as a consultant for Pampered Chef, you do not need to purchase any special insurance based on your size. Our insurance coverage is the same for all consultants.

3. Do you offer any accommodations for plus size consultants at events or parties?

Yes, we strive to make all of our events and parties inclusive and comfortable for all consultants, including those who may be plus size. We provide chairs of various sizes and have no weight restrictions for our products.

4. Are there any size requirements for plus size consultants to join Pampered Chef?

No, there are no size requirements to become a consultant for Pampered Chef. We welcome individuals of all sizes to join our team and grow their own successful business.

5. Is there any support or training specifically for plus size consultants?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers support and training for all consultants, regardless of their size. Our training programs and resources are designed to help all consultants succeed in their business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• buzz26
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
caynreth
  • kcmckay
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
kcmckay
Replies