• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Pie Baking Tips for a Newbie Pie Maker - Seeking Advice!

In summary, making a delicious pie as a newbie can be intimidating, but it doesn't have to be. Remember to use cold ingredients, avoid overworking the dough, and chill it before rolling. Blind baking the crust and experimenting with different fillings can make for a tasty and unique pie. And don't forget to let it cool before slicing for the best results. Happy baking!
tpasto
Hey All
I searched but did not find. Any pie bakers out there? i am looking for tips for a newbie pie maker.

Please send me your tips for making pies!!

thanks
teri

A couple of us from my cluster made apple pies one Friday morning. If you are going to make your crust, I would recommend using crisco (makes it flaky), and do not over work your dough. It will fall apart (happened to me, but it came out ok). If you do over work the dough put it in the freezer for a bit, to get cold again...

When you add water to the dough make sure it is ice cold.

HTH!

Hi Teri,I love making pies and have a few tips to share with you as a fellow newbie pie maker:1. Start with a good recipe: There are plenty of pie recipes available online, but make sure to choose one from a trusted source. I personally like to use recipes from food bloggers or well-known cooking websites.2. Use cold ingredients: When making pie crust, it's important to use cold ingredients, including cold butter and water. This will help create a flaky crust.3. Don't overwork the dough: When making the pie crust, handle the dough as little as possible. Overworking the dough can make it tough and less flaky.4. Chill the dough: After making the dough, let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out. This will make it easier to work with and will prevent shrinking during baking.5. Blind bake the crust: If your pie filling is on the wetter side, it's a good idea to blind bake the crust before adding the filling. This means baking the crust without the filling for a few minutes before adding the filling and baking it again.6. Use a pie shield or foil: To prevent the crust from burning, cover the edges with a pie shield or foil during baking. This will also help the crust bake evenly.7. Experiment with different fillings: Don't be afraid to get creative with your pie fillings! You can use a variety of fruits, nuts, and even savory ingredients like cheese and vegetables.8. Brush with egg wash: For a shiny and golden crust, brush the top of the pie with an egg wash before baking.9. Let it cool before slicing: It's tempting to dig into a freshly baked pie, but it's important to let it cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing. This will allow the filling to set and prevent it from oozing out.Hope these tips help! Happy pie baking!

Related to Pie Baking Tips for a Newbie Pie Maker - Seeking Advice!

What are the essential tools I need for pie baking?

The essential tools for pie baking are a rolling pin, pie dish, pastry blender, pastry brush, and a sharp knife. These tools will help you roll out the dough, shape it in the dish, and add finishing touches.

What type of flour should I use for making pie dough?

All-purpose flour is the most commonly used flour for making pie dough. It has enough gluten to hold the dough together, but not too much to make it tough. You can also use pastry flour or a combination of all-purpose and cake flour.

How can I prevent my pie crust from getting soggy?

To prevent a soggy crust, you can blind bake your crust before adding the filling. This means partially baking the crust before adding the filling. You can also brush the crust with an egg wash before adding the filling, or sprinkle a layer of breadcrumbs or crushed cookies on the bottom of the crust.

What is the best way to roll out pie dough?

The best way to roll out pie dough is to start from the center and roll outwards in all directions. This helps to evenly distribute the dough and prevents it from tearing. You can also rotate the dough a quarter turn after each roll to ensure an even thickness.

How do I know when my pie is done baking?

The best way to tell if your pie is done baking is to insert a toothpick or knife into the center of the filling. If it comes out clean, the pie is done. The crust should also be golden brown and crisp. You can also use a digital thermometer to check the internal temperature of the filling - it should be between 175-190 degrees Fahrenheit.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedbecky
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
candiejayne
  • chefmoseley
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
karens.kitchen
  • chefmoseley