• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Pumpkin Pie Help Needed - Thanksgiving Bakers Unite!

In summary, the Cook's Illustrated article recommends adding mashed sweet potatoes to the pumpkin to make the flavor more complex.
pamperedbecky
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Hey everyone. Here's a question for those bakers out there. I'm doing the pumpkin pie today for our big dinner at my parent's house. I'm just following the directions from the Libby's pack pumpkin can. I'm confused though. It calls for 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell. I bought the Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust and was just going to use that and use my stoneware deep dish pie plate. I'm confused!! Do I pre-bake it? Many pumpkin pie recipes say to stick the pie crust in the pie plate in the freezer for a while before filling it and baking it. But I don't want to do that with stoneware because I'm afraid it would crack.

Any suggestions? Maybe I just would bake the pie crust for a little bit without anything in it?? I'm not a baker and thought the directions would make more sense!! Any help would be appreciated! Have a GREAT day!

pamperedbecky said:
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Hey everyone. Here's a question for those bakers out there. I'm doing the pumpkin pie today for our big dinner at my parent's house. I'm just following the directions from the Libby's pack pumpkin can. I'm confused though. It calls for 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell. I bought the Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust and was just going to use that and use my stoneware deep dish pie plate. I'm confused!! Do I pre-bake it? Many pumpkin pie recipes say to stick the pie crust in the pie plate in the freezer for a while before filling it and baking it. But I don't want to do that with stoneware because I'm afraid it would crack.

Any suggestions? Maybe I just would bake the pie crust for a little bit without anything in it?? I'm not a baker and thought the directions would make more sense!! Any help would be appreciated! Have a GREAT day!

You don't have to do anything with the crust except put it in the stone, then pour in the pumpkin filling!

You can do it, Becky!:thumbup:

Oh - and I made one yesterday in my pie stone using the Pillsbury crust - it looks good enough to eat! :)

Awesome, thanks!! I'll just pour it all in the "raw" crust. Yummy. Thank you! :D

Did mine with the Pillsbury crust and just dumped the Libby's recipe filling inside and baked. Looks yummy! Also made pumpkin pie cake (have had a craving for that for weeks now) and Janet's PB Cup Trifle! (might have to skip the turkey and just eat dessert!)

straitfan said:
Did mine with the Pillsbury crust and just dumped the Libby's recipe filling inside and baked. Looks yummy!

Also made pumpkin pie cake (have had a craving for that for weeks now) and Janet's PB Cup Trifle! (might have to skip the turkey and just eat dessert!)

That's a good idea!!!

Did you guys use the pie crust shield? If so, at what point and for how long??? Thanks!

pamperedbecky said:
Did you guys use the pie crust shield? If so, at what point and for how long??? Thanks!

I put the pie shield over it for all but the last 5 minutes. Pumpkin Pie has to bake for a long time, and I don't like well-done (dark brown) crust!:yuck:

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Thank you! :D

Heehee, looks like we were all busy makin pumpkin pies!
I don't have the shield so mine did brown the crust :(.
This was my first pumpkin pie, so I hope it is a crowd pleaser? I used a slighlty different recipe than what my family is used to (Libby's). I used DH's mom's recipe. I hope they like it!
Hope yours turns out FAB Beck! ;)

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

mmm... I :love: love pumpkin pie. I've got one from Costco in the freezer.The current issue of Cook's Illustrated recommends adding some mashed sweet potatoes (from a can) to the pumpkin to make the flavor a little more complex.

heat123 said:
Heehee, looks like we were all busy makin pumpkin pies!
I don't have the shield so mine did brown the crust :(.
This was my first pumpkin pie, so I hope it is a crowd pleaser? I used a slighlty different recipe than what my family is used to (Libby's). I used DH's mom's recipe. I hope they like it!
Hope yours turns out FAB Beck! ;)

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Thanks! I bet yours will still be yummy despite a brown crust.

Mine seems to be taking longer than the amount of time the Libby's can said it would. Hope it's ok!:confused::confused:

pamperedbecky said:
Thanks! I bet yours will still be yummy despite a brown crust.

Mine seems to be taking longer than the amount of time the Libby's can said it would. Hope it's ok!:confused::confused:

Yep, same here. I made two, the one with a glass pie plate took the time according to the recipe. Our deep dish however took 10-15 minutes longer! But it did state that a deep dish had a longer cook time in the recipe I have.

I'm more worried about what everyone thinks of the flavor than the crust lol.

His mom's recipe called for 1/2 brown sugar instead of all white sugar and she added pumpkin spice (which I used our cinn+) on top off all the spices that go in it! Will see?

Good luck!

mmmmm...baked mine yesterday and they look good. I used the PC recipe from the old pastry cutter (pie crust). That crust turns out good for me every time! I made 2 punkin' pies in the foil pie plates and a nice looking pecan in my PC DDPP stone....it's FAB looking and can't wait to dig in! Just as mentioned above, recipe in regular pie plates were right on the mark as far as time...my pecan too about 10 mins longer to get done and I used the PCS the whole time and it browned nicely.

Gobble! Gobble! Happy Thanksgiving fellow cheffers:chef:

if you don't have the shield you can use a bit of tin foil - just fold it into strips and fold over the crust!

That is good to know. I am going to (attempt) baking my 1st semi homemade pumpkin pie next weekend. I normally just buy the frozen kind. I love it!

I made one yesterday and had enough pumpkin to make another but not another can of milk. My husband picked up a can of milk today, so I'm making another one tomrrow. Pumpkin pie is easy for those of you who have never made one before. Key- if you can put a knife in the center and it comes out clean, it's done, don't overcook. Enjoy! Yum!!! I'm making whipped cream for the top of mine today.

I made 80+ pumpkin pies this year! Of course I made them in the stoneware muffin pans! They were a huge hit at dinner today!!! I found out this year that you should bake them on the bottom rack of the oven so the bottom crust will get done & not over-bake the top crust. It seemed to help a lot. Usually I have the extra brown crust but not this year!!

And don't forget about the Pumpkin Pie ala Easy recipe!! This is great for pie novices, but regular Pumpkin Pie is pretty un-screwupable!!

My pie turned out great.:) Everybody liked it. I feel like making another one!

Chef Kearns said:
And don't forget about the Pumpkin Pie ala Easy recipe!! This is great for pie novices, but regular Pumpkin Pie is pretty un-screwupable!!

LOL!
If this isn't a word, it should be.

myinnerchef said:
LOL!
If this isn't a word, it should be.

I tried to add a smiley of "W" spouting one of his famous quotes. But I couldn't figure out how to attach it.

Totally made up word!! You like it? You can have that one!;)

More tips for you. I watched DH do a pie for Canadian Thanksgiving last month. He mixed the filling in the large batter bowl. Then he put the stoneware pie pan containing the crust in the preheated oven, pouring the filling in right there. He didn't have to move a really full pie plate into the oven this way! :)

yankeeinontario said:
More tips for you. I watched DH do a pie for Canadian Thanksgiving last month. He mixed the filling in the large batter bowl. Then he put the stoneware pie pan containing the crust in the preheated oven, pouring the filling in right there. He didn't have to move a really full pie plate into the oven this way! :)

Great idea to put the filling in while the crust is waiting in the oven! All these years, I have never thought to do that. :love:Thanks!
Deb

Chef Kearns said:

then you never seen my ExMIL make a pumpkin pie.... ewwwww! I'd even watch her follow the recipe, I could do it, but she could not... dunno why though!

1. How do I make a perfect pumpkin pie crust?

To make a perfect pumpkin pie crust, you will need 1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 cup of cold unsalted butter (cut into small pieces), 1/4 cup of ice water, and 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, and sugar. Using a pastry cutter or your hands, cut the cold butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Slowly add in the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, and mix until a dough forms. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before rolling it out and using it for your pumpkin pie.

2. How do I prevent my pumpkin pie from cracking?

To prevent your pumpkin pie from cracking, make sure to not overmix the filling. Overmixing can cause air bubbles to form, which can lead to cracks in the pie. Also, avoid overbaking the pie as this can cause it to crack as well. To check if your pie is done, gently jiggle the pan and if the center is slightly wobbly, it is done. The residual heat will continue to cook the pie as it cools, so do not leave it in the oven for too long.

3. Can I use fresh pumpkin instead of canned for my pie?

Yes, you can use fresh pumpkin for your pie, but it may require a few extra steps. To use fresh pumpkin, start by cutting it in half and removing the seeds. Place the pumpkin halves on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 375°F for about 45 minutes or until the pumpkin is fork-tender. Once cooled, scoop out the pumpkin flesh and puree it in a blender or food processor until smooth. Use this puree in place of canned pumpkin in your pie recipe.

4. How can I make my pumpkin pie more flavorful?

To make your pumpkin pie more flavorful, you can add in some extra spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. You can also enhance the flavor by using brown sugar instead of white in the filling. For an extra boost of flavor, try adding a tablespoon of bourbon or rum to the filling. You can also top your pie with whipped cream or a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice for added flavor.

5. How should I store my pumpkin pie?

To properly store your pumpkin pie, first let it cool completely at room temperature. Once cooled, cover it loosely with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Before serving, let the pie sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes to allow it to come to room temperature. This will help prevent the crust from becoming soggy. If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • ragschef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
vwpamperedchef
Replies
Views
annew