• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do I need to prick or fill prebaked pie crusts for mini chocolate pudding pies?

In summary, prebaking a pie crust is necessary for pies with wet fillings to prevent it from becoming soggy. It involves partially or fully baking the crust before adding the filling. To prebake, prick the crust with a fork, line with parchment paper or foil, and fill with weights or beans. It is important to thaw a frozen crust before prebaking and using weights or beans is recommended for best results.
babywings76
Gold Member
Just got a call from a friend. She wants to make little chocolate pudding pies and prebake the Pillsbury Pie crusts (cut out and made in the MMP). She's wondering if she needs to prick the dough or fill it with something so that when she bakes them empty, the dough stays down and keeps the shape.

Any advice?

bumping.....My friend needs to know by 3pm, so I'm hoping someone has some advice. I haven't done just a crust in the pans before to know if there's anything special that needs to be done to them to get them to stay nice and keep shape. She's just going to experiment and see how it goes if no one has any advice, but she's nervous about it because it's for a special event she's hosting tomorrow.

I would put some beans in the cups just to weigh them down.

I think anytime you cook a crust empty, a few pricks won't hurt- and I've not tried the beans, or yes- I'd put something in them and I'd think dried beans would work.Otherwise, it will likely puff up some.

a ball of alum. foil might work too if she doesn't have dried beans on hand.

What is the purpose of prebaking a pie crust?

Prebaking a pie crust is when you partially or fully bake the crust before filling it with the desired filling. This is done to ensure that the crust is fully cooked and flaky, and to prevent it from becoming soggy once the filling is added.

Do I need to prebake a pie crust for all types of pies?

No, not all pies require prebaking. It is typically necessary for pies with a wet filling, such as pumpkin or custard pies, to prevent the crust from becoming soggy. However, for pies with dry fillings, such as fruit pies, prebaking may not be necessary.

How do I prebake a pie crust?

To prebake a pie crust, first preheat your oven to the desired temperature. Then, place the crust in a pie dish and prick the bottom and sides with a fork. This will prevent the crust from puffing up during baking. Next, line the crust with parchment paper or foil and fill it with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for about 10 minutes, remove the weights and parchment/foil, and then bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until the crust is lightly golden.

Can I prebake a frozen pie crust?

Yes, you can prebake a frozen pie crust. However, it is important to thaw the crust completely before prebaking. Thawing the crust will prevent it from cracking or breaking during prebaking.

Can I prebake a pie crust without weights or beans?

Yes, you can prebake a pie crust without weights or beans. However, the crust may puff up and shrink during baking, resulting in a less even and flaky crust. It is recommended to use weights or beans for the best results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedlinda
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefLoriG
  • chef131doreen
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ragschef