• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Smoking Excuses at NC: My Journey to Quitting

In summary, the conversation revolves around smoking and quitting. The speakers share their personal experiences with quitting and the challenges they face while trying to quit. They also mention that there are smokers at a conference, but they are not harassed or judged for their habit. The conversation ends with a joke about being harassed for overeating and the speaker's tendency to harass everyone equally.
krzymomof4
Silver Member
My trip down the non smoking road didn't work out too well.
I know I need to quit, but I have alot of excuses not to right now.
I am sure there are smokers that attend NC, but are they browbeat while they are there?

No - you'll actually see quite a few of them standing outside between workshops and general sessions.

krzymomof4 said:
My trip down the non smoking road didn't work out too well.
I know I need to quit, but I have alot of excuses not to right now.
I am sure there are smokers that attend NC, but are they browbeat while they are there?

I've seen smokers at conference, but I've never seen them harassed.....anyway, you've hung out here long enough to know that browbeating isn't they way we do things!

When you are ready to quit - we will encourage and support you.....but don't think we are going to shun you now! Silly girl!:p

I am sure there are smokers at NC. But it is getting harder and harder to find places to do it in. I quit in 1988, after 15 years of smoking and it was difficult but it can be done if you want to do it. But you have to commit to becoming a non smoker. I have had several friends quit recently and one told me that it wasn't the lifestyle that she wanted to live. I felt that way.

Now, with people having to go outside at all times of year, well, I couldn't handle that for a minute. Going outside in the winter to smoke, no way was that going to work for me. I'm cold when it's 85 degrees outside. I don't even where short sleeves until it gets 80 and above!

Just keep trying. It's like the phone, you get alot of rejections on the way to 1 yes!

There was one gal in our group last year that smoked. We went out with her a couple times and didn't hear anyone say anything.

Quitting can be tough. You really have to want to do it. I was a pack a day smoker for over 6 years and quit almost 6 years ago. You can do it!

wadesgirl said:
There was one gal in our group last year that smoked. We went out with her a couple times and didn't hear anyone say anything.

Quitting can be tough. You really have to want to do it. I was a pack a day smoker for over 6 years and quit almost 6 years ago. You can do it!
This is a lot like me! I smoked for about 6 years close to a pack a day and sometimes more..... then I got pregnant with my daughter and the smell of them made me ill..... it worked, I still don't smoke and sometimes feel nauseated by the smell! I stopped smoking with my son, but went back after I quit breastfeeding, but I never got sick with him like I did her! I have been smoke free for almost 9 years now! I wish my DH would quit!! I wish he could get pregnant, get sick and be done! LOL!!! I'd take another kid, just so he could experience it and be sick and not ever want to smoke again! LOL! My luck would be that he would still smoke after and then I'd have another baby to boot! I love kids but I'm done and have accepted the fact that I won't have anymore, and I'm good with that!!
I don't bug him very much, because I think that would be a hypocrite.... but he knows for his health he should.... He's working on it..... I just pray for him, that the best and only thing I can do!:angel:

But I don't think you will be shunned on!

Last edited:
Don't worry- you do what you need to do! Its just like if people saw me eating more than I needed to- Okay i know I'm overweight....are people at NC going to beat me up and take my food? NO! So its ok!;)
Like others have said- we are here for YOU!!! When you are ready, you will do it and succeed!!!:balloon:

jbdowd0798 said:
....are people at NC going to beat me up and take my food? NO! So its ok!;)

:eek: LOL ...but maybe if they did, I wouldn't be overweight anymore....we could start a trend :p

I will harass only if you want me to ;)

then again I harass everyone.. my nature.. :)

I treat everyone equally..

Never, never, never...has anyone harrased us smokers at conference. There are a lot more of us than people realize who are PC people.
There is an area on the second level on the west side and the east side, outside and covered even if it rains, you won't get wet.
So unless they changed the rules, there are ashtrays and places to sit.
I know what you mean about quitting. I have been trying for two years and just can't do it. I have quit about 30 times for about a week and then, well, you know the rest of that story.

MissChef said:
This is a lot like me! I smoked for about 6 years close to a pack a day and sometimes more..... then I got pregnant with my daughter and the smell of them made me ill..... it worked, I still don't smoke and sometimes feel nauseated by the smell! I stopped smoking with my son, but went back after I quit breastfeeding, but I never got sick with him like I did her! I have been smoke free for almost 9 years now! I wish my DH would quit!! I wish he could get pregnant, get sick and be done! LOL!!! I'd take another kid, just so he could experience it and be sick and not ever want to smoke again! LOL! My luck would be that he would still smoke after and then I'd have another baby to boot! I love kids but I'm done and have accepted the fact that I won't have anymore, and I'm good with that!!
I don't bug him very much, because I think that would be a hypocrite.... but he knows for his health he should.... He's working on it..... I just pray for him, that the best and only thing I can do!:angel:

But I don't think you will be shunned on!

I quit smoking right before I met DH at the ripe old age of 21! I had been smoking for 8 years (yes I started at 13) and like I said above a pack a day smoker for the last 6 years. I just got to the point where I was so disgusted about smoking I didn't want to do it any more. And this was after several unsuccessful attempts. I just had to finally have the will power to say no. Well, DH smokes but so little that he shouldn't even smoke! I let him smoke at home and it doesn't bother me at home but I HATE it when he smokes in the car. Grosses me out! I told him that when we have kids, no smoking except outside. And I don't care how mad he gets. He just needs to quit. He barely smokes and I think he does it out of habit. He smokes one or two in the morning, sometimes one in the evening and one before bed. It doesn't seem worth it to me! Plus they are so darn expensive. I see the price sometimes or I have to pick up a pack (yes I am enabling him for now!) and cannot believe how much they cost. I will never smoke again but my sister who quit 10 years ago when she was pregnant with her third daughter says she would love to start smoking again but knows better. She still craves it!:yuck:

Kathy's_Kitchen said:
:eek: LOL ...but maybe if they did, I wouldn't be overweight anymore....we could start a trend :p

Yeah that might actually help. That and getting off my rear and exercising more! lol

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...try to get as far away from the door and the walking paths as possible! I cannot stand to walk out a door and be assaulted by the smoke first thing. I will not harrass (never have), but please give that courtesy.

Thank you!

jbdowd0798 said:
Yeah that might actually help. That and getting off my rear and exercising more! lol

Yes...will you chase me for a mile before you slug me for eating too much?!?!:eek:

One of my top consultants smokes so if you are in Wave One, you may run into her.

No one shuns her. She and I have had some disagreements..hear me out, however, I NEVER harass!

She will want me to stand with her outside the hotel while she has a couple cigarettes. It is usually at night and I am so tired I could lay down next to the L tracks and sleep soundly!!! I have said no. She understands, but doesn't like it. I don't like being put in that situation.

We drove last year and brought her vehicle and she smoked. I was having such a hard time and then eventually got frustrated and felt like I had my head in a smoke chamber:yuck: . I had to speak my peace and tried to do so on an adult basis. We came to an understanding but she does not realize how much it bothers me and just doesn't understand that I do not like having these conversations because she takes them personally at first and have to explain that out too.

I have a father and two brothers that have smoked. Dad quit 21 years ago when he had 1/2 a lung removed from cancer (this is NOT a lecture, just a fact of what happened to him). My one brother has struggled for years to quit and I think with the new medicine he is doing well. My other brother will not quit until he can no longer take a breath.

Everyone is on their own journey. Me...I eat far too much and don't excercise. Don't think Tim Russert's death hasn't made me stop and think. It hasn't made me start exercising either. Tim Russert did have a daily exercise routine too.

Ok...I am rambling, but NO you will NOT get harassed unless you are in a non smoking area but I see many outside smoking between sessions.

Last edited:
Glad to know you guys still want to be around me.
I have been a pack + a day smoker. I started when I was 12 as a social smoker and been an addict since I was 14...so that has been over 20 years.
Shoot...I just showed my age!!

What a young whipper snapper you are!! I got you beat by 14 years:eek: now THAT is old!!!!:)

The only smoker that bothers me is one that feels that I should tolerate their smoke. This is SO gross, but what if I passed gas and said that you should tolerate it...it's just a bodily function!! You sound like you are coming down on yourself more than anyone.

It IS an addiction and the nicotine has increased over the years making it that much more difficult for smokers that want to quit to be successful. When you are ready...just keep trying. Many of my co-workers have stopped but it was not easy and I admire their strength for not returing to it. So keep trying and sometime, it just may stick!

Then you will have to find another thing to beat yourself up over!!!:D I don't smoke, but I have a grocery list of things I could suggest to beat yourself up over!!!:eek:

baychef said:
What a young whipper snapper you are!! I got you beat by 14 years:eek: now THAT is old!!!!:)

The only smoker that bothers me is one that feels that I should tolerate their smoke. This is SO gross, but what if I passed gas and said that you should tolerate it...it's just a bodily function!! You sound like you are coming down on yourself more than anyone.

I used to work with someone who couldn't force me to tolerate her smoke, but did force me to tolerate that. Like I said, I used to work with her.

Smokers who are considerate of others don't bother me. Non-smokers who aren't considerate of others do bother me.

Dh read this book that says by the time you get to the end of this book you will have quit smoking. His brother and SIL tried it and it worked for them- they were 1-2 packs per day for over 20 years.... anyway I'll get the name of the book for you if you are interested. :)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1402718616/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There is the link to that book I mentioned- but only if you are interested. It's like everyone said- when you are ready it will happen for you!

Dh said that for him (but I think he was ready when he tried the drug) Chantix worked better. He only took it for about 3 weeks- but they've taken it off the market because it made people want to kill themselves. !?!

Didn't we have a thread a while ago about quitting? AnyHoo... I too smoked on and off between pregnancies etc - I finally quit for good when preggo with #4 - my best defense was water - I drank it like I would never see it again - and - I made new habits - less coffee, walking or water after eating etc - Leslie, don't worry about what others think of you, think of yourself and your needs and just be polite and courteous to those who don't ( which I am sure you are already!) smoke.

Both my parents smoke like they are on fire!!:yuck: Needless to say I DON'T :)

They spend $900.00 a month on smoking:eek: What I couldn't do with an extra $900.00 every month;)

baychef said:
Yes...will you chase me for a mile before you slug me for eating too much?!?!:eek:

One of my top consultants smokes so if you are in Wave One, you may run into her.

No one shuns her. She and I have had some disagreements..hear me out, however, I NEVER harass!

She will want me to stand with her outside the hotel while she has a couple cigarettes. It is usually at night and I am so tired I could lay down next to the L tracks and sleep soundly!!! I have said no. She understands, but doesn't like it. I don't like being put in that situation.

We drove last year and brought her vehicle and she smoked. I was having such a hard time and then eventually got frustrated and felt like I had my head in a smoke chamber:yuck: . I had to speak my peace and tried to do so on an adult basis. We came to an understanding but she does not realize how much it bothers me and just doesn't understand that I do not like having these conversations because she takes them personally at first and have to explain that out too.

I have a father and two brothers that have smoked. Dad quit 21 years ago when he had 1/2 a lung removed from cancer (this is NOT a lecture, just a fact of what happened to him). My one brother has struggled for years to quit and I think with the new medicine he is doing well. My other brother will not quit until he can no longer take a breath.

Everyone is on their own journey. Me...I eat far too much and don't excercise. Don't think Tim Russert's death hasn't made me stop and think. It hasn't made me start exercising either. Tim Russert did have a daily exercise routine too.

Ok...I am rambling, but NO you will NOT get harassed unless you are in a non smoking area but I see many outside smoking between sessions.
This just reminds me that when my brother and I went together to family things I would always ask if he minded if I smoked in the car. He would always say yes but I would smoke anyway not realizing how much it bothered him. Well, now that I'm not smoking it does drive the nonsmoker crazy. It's really bad and stinky but as a smoker you don't realize that and are quick to stand up for yourself as a smoker.

I do remember standing in a long line for a movie once where the guy ahead of us told us his daughter was allergic to the smoke. My best friend and I immediatley put our cigarettes out. I don't know if it was true but once you hear that it sort of sticks with you! I didn't want to harm a little child.

I also started when I was 13 & smoked a pack a day for 38 years before I quit. The day I quit, was my day off & I was planning to go to "The Rez" to get cheaper smokes and I just changed my mind! I had thought about it for a long time being a nurse, seeing some of my patients dragging around oxygen tanks & stuggling to breathe. I was starting to get winded on stairs & knew sooner or later that would be me. Frankly, the biggest reason I didn't quit for so long, was because I was afraid of going through being deprived.:rolleyes:

When I think back, it wasn't that big a deal for me. You have to have it "right" in your head.

These are some of the things I did that helped:

1-I bought a box of 5000 coffee stirrers at BJ's. I had a stash in my purse, in the car, by the phone, all my smoking places. So much of my smoking was habit generated. I still went on smoke breaks with my friends but just second hand smoked with my little prop that I would chew on in my hand. When the weather got nasty, I didn't go & eventually was weaned from that scenario.

2-I made lists of why I would smoke and why I wouldn't smoke.

3-I kept the most disgusting full ashtray around and when I wanted a cigarette, would get down close & take a big deep breath. :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: That would move me past that moment and when I recovered from gagging, would treat myself to a big glass of water. Helps to flush the system.

4-Instead of the old dialogue of do I want a cigarette/I really shouldn't have one.....which by the way was actually an exercise to give myself permission to cave, I replaced with: Oh, I forgot, I don't do that anymore, THEN, most importantly, went on to the next thought/task, whatever & put it out of my head.

I hope I am making sense. This is what worked for me and I celebrated 7 years smoke-free on 3/21/08. I have never even had a drag.

I still have thoughts of smoking and sometimes dream I do. I'll even go on smoke breaks & second hand smoke.

But all in all I really don't miss it.

When you're ready, go for it. You can do it!!!

Know what cured me? A huge bottle of red wine and a pack of camels in a 10 hour stretch. Huge as in mammoth.....hungover for two days huge. At that point I was just social smoking when I drank. Needless to say that was the last ciggy I had and the thought of even lighting up makes me queasy.

Anyway... I think most people are tolerant as long as others are respectful and that goes both ways!

Related to Overcoming Smoking Excuses at NC: My Journey to Quitting

1. What is "Don't Browbeat Me Please!"?

"Don't Browbeat Me Please!" is a line of kitchen tools and gadgets designed to make cooking and baking easier and more enjoyable. The name comes from our commitment to providing high-quality, user-friendly products that eliminate the need for excessive force or effort in the kitchen.

2. What types of products are included in the "Don't Browbeat Me Please!" line?

The "Don't Browbeat Me Please!" line includes a variety of kitchen tools and gadgets, such as knives, cutting boards, measuring cups and spoons, baking pans, and more. All of our products are made with durable materials and designed to make cooking and baking tasks easier and more efficient.

3. Are "Don't Browbeat Me Please!" products safe to use?

Yes, all of our "Don't Browbeat Me Please!" products are safe to use. We prioritize safety in the design and production of our products, and they are all made with high-quality materials that are food-safe and free from harmful chemicals. We also conduct thorough testing to ensure the safety and durability of our products.

4. Can I purchase "Don't Browbeat Me Please!" products in stores?

Yes, "Don't Browbeat Me Please!" products are available for purchase both online and in stores. You can find our products in select retail locations or on our official website. We also have a network of independent consultants who can help you with your purchase and provide personalized recommendations.

5. Are there any special care instructions for "Don't Browbeat Me Please!" products?

We recommend following the care instructions provided with each "Don't Browbeat Me Please!" product to ensure their longevity and optimal performance. In general, our products are dishwasher safe, but we recommend hand washing for best results. You should also avoid using sharp knives or metal utensils on non-stick surfaces to prevent damage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • gailz2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • sillylittlechef
  • General Chat
Replies