• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Minnesota Consultants: Driving from Wave 1 to Chicago for NC?

In summary, Amtrak is a good option if you're in the 6-8 hour range from Chicago. Driving is also an option, but it's a longer drive and there's not much to see.
etteluap70PC
Gold Member
I was wondering if there were any MN cons. here in Wave 1 who were thinking of driving to Chicago for NC? A bunch of gals in my Hosp. Group did last year and loved it. It took them about 8hr from the cities. They are wave 2 this year so I can not hook up with them. My upline is in Very Northern MN and usually fly.

Thanks!

You might just consider Amtrak. The Empire Builder departs MSP about 8 in the morning and gets into Chicago in the middle of the afternoon. I take the Hiawatha from Milwaukee to Chicago quite often because... The train takes you right into the Loop in Union Station, about a six dollar cab ride from headquarters. You also have the advantage of not paying 30 bucks a night to store your car that you can't use while you're there. No tollways, no battling Chicago traffic (unless you ride the bus to the HO tour and then you're riding anyway) and the whole group can party on the train.[shrug] Just a suggestion. [/shrug]Edited to add: Check for deals on fares. Between AAA and other programs, you can often wrangle some pretty good fare discounts on groups and companion tickets.

Last edited:
Yeah I thought of that too... My hosp. group did that a couple years ago and loved it. Was just considdering all my options. The gals I talked to that drove (I think 4 together in a mini van) spent less to drive (split 4 ways) including parking than most did to fly.

since it is only an 8 or nine hr drive I thought it might be a good idea.

I am over an hr from MSP (airport) so I figure 1 1/2 hrs to drive, drop my car off at park-n-ride. Get to the airport 2 hrs before flight. 1 1/2 hr flight. An hour to get to my hotel. All of this most likely by myself. All together 6 hrs. Or just a little more time and make some new friends and maybee have some fun....

Milwaukee to Minneapolis is one of those strange distances for travel. In the time it takes me to get to the airport, get through security, fly to MSP, retrieve my bags, rent a car and get to a hotel, in that same amount of time, I can almost drive from my home to the same destination in Eagan. Check amtrak.com and you may find that the Empire Builder stops close to you. Maybe not, but I think it's worth looking into.Actually, anyone in that 6-8 hour driving range from Chicago (Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin) should at least consider Amtrak. While not exactly romantic travel, it's not as crummy as comics and politcal wonks would have you believe. (That's not exactly a ringing endorsement, is it?) The Hiawatha service from Milwaukee to Chicago has improved greatly over the last several years, including major track repairs that make the route smoother and quieter - and they've actualy shaved a few minutes from the travel time.

I think driving with others is fun. You'll have the whole car ride home to talk about what you learned and develop action plans.

We do the train trip, as well. We're about 4 hours south of Chicago & just don't feel like the headache of driving. Plus, the train stops in our town, with no parking fees. It's like a great big party car with the whole cluster! :)

I have to ditto the Amtrak suggestion. I recently took the train from Michigan to Chicago via Amtrak. The tickets (round trip) cost less than $50. Nobody frisked me, nobody told me I couldn't carry my toiletries aboard, I didn't even have to share my seat. The staff aboard the train were a bit surly, but no overly so. Union Station was brightly lit and even pretty in places. The people my sister-in-law and I asked for assistance were friendly and courteous. I will *always* consider Amtrak from now on.

My cluster has always had fun when we took the train to conference. You don't have to worry about someone putting miles on their car (with all the folks who lease nowadays), don't have to park, can get up and use the lavatory without having to stop, can walk around and stretch your legs, and we would "debrief" and share ideas from workshops on the ride home. Or snag a table in the club car and play Uno. :D

Kinda brings new meaning to the term "training" at national conference, doncha think?

Oh, Kitchen Guy...you're so funny!
I've taken the Empire Builder MANY times from Grand Forks, ND back home to Chi-town. Taking the train takes longer than driving, but it's nice because you can read a book or knit a scarf or whatever instead of worrying about driving. You also have much more room than on the airlines. People are generally friendly (though I always manage to find the weirdos...then again maybe I AM the weirdo...) and you get to see some pretty scenery!

speedychef said:
Oh, Kitchen Guy...you're so funny!
I've taken the Empire Builder MANY times from Grand Forks, ND back home to Chi-town. Taking the train takes longer than driving, but it's nice because you can read a book or knit a scarf or whatever instead of worrying about driving. You also have much more room than on the airlines. People are generally friendly (though I always manage to find the weirdos...then again maybe I AM the weirdo...) and you get to see some pretty scenery!
I didn't realize you were ever on the train with me!

speedychef said:
People are generally friendly (though I always manage to find the weirdos...then again maybe I AM the weirdo...) and you get to see some pretty scenery!
OMG! There was a woman in the row ahead of us the last time we took the train who had her nasty bare feet hanging over the armrest into our row. And she stunk, too. bleah

1. How long is the drive from Minnesota to Chicago for the National Conference?

The drive from Minnesota to Chicago for the National Conference is approximately 6 hours and 30 minutes.

2. Are there any recommended stops or rest areas along the way?

Yes, there are several recommended rest areas and gas stations along the route. We suggest taking a break every 2-3 hours to stretch and refuel.

3. Can we carpool with other consultants to save on travel expenses?

Yes, we highly encourage carpooling with other consultants to save on travel expenses. Please reach out to your team leader or fellow consultants to coordinate carpooling arrangements.

4. Is there a specific route that we should take for the drive?

We recommend taking I-94 East towards Chicago for the most direct route. However, you can also use GPS or map apps to find alternative routes based on your starting location.

5. Can we expense gas and toll fees for the drive?

Yes, gas and toll fees can be expensed for the drive to Chicago for the National Conference. Please keep all receipts and submit them for reimbursement following the event.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Janice Stroud
  • PamperedChefDebi
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PamperedChefDebi
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U