• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Conference Changes: Cost-Cutting & Time to Explore Chicago

In summary, Colleen's upline told her that there will be no exec banquet this year, and that instead there will be just an exec meeting. There will also be four hotels (McCormick Hyatt, other Hyatt, Sheraton, and Hilton), and the conference will be shorter and more expensive. Colleen has already booked her flights and is considering staying at the Double Tree by the Hilton to save money. She is also considering going to Navy Pier.
finley1991
Monday I was on a conference call with my upline. She went over the agenda for Conference and some of the changes for this year. There are going to be 4 hotels (McCormick Hyatt, other Hyatt, Sheraton and Hilton). HO has *promise* there will be plenty of room for everyone so no worries there (I'm a little worried!). Also, no exec banquet... just an exec *meeting* and ALL dinners are on our own. Also, I have a feeling there might be a few more changes to come... but nothing major.

Part of the reason for this is, she told us, is cost-cutting on HO's part (in addition to not having Leadership) as well as giving people more time to explore Chicago which has been a common item in the feebdback... people felt too tied up and not enough down time to explore, shop, etc.

VENT WARNING --> I know (okay... saying that is already setting myself up for difficulties) that I will have a hard time encouraging my team to go... and to be honest... some of them are so needy that I don't always enjoy conference because I feel like I am babysitting them most of the time. I mean seriously, they can't just get on the bus to go back to the hotel... we ALL have to meet and ride together. I'm just not into that much togetherness and honestly, if I have a free moment, I want to spend it with my friends here that I don't get to see any other time!

Last year, unexpectedly, a friend of my family's was in Chicago and I had one afternoon to see her (the afternoon after closing session). I hadn't seen her in 3 years and opted to meet her for lunch. One of the consultants I was with wouldn't speak to me since I opted to meet my friend instead of having lunch with her and some other consultants to debrief and goal set from conference. I did ask her why we couldn't do it during the 5 hour bus ride home and she said that the *plan* was to do it at lunch.

I guess I'm just tired of them acting like babies and then feeling guilty about not giving them what they want when they whine about it.

So my question, I guess, is how do we promote conference and promote independence while they are there???? At this point, I really don't feel like encouraging any of them to go and I really hate having this attitude!!! Any thoughts or suggestions are more than welcome!!!!

No exec dinner?! That sucks! Cost cutting?! They should be saving tons with no Leadership! Stop all the freakin monthly consultant specials!! I LOVE THEM, don't get me wrong, but I would rather have a wonderful conference. Just saying.

I will have a hard time promoting this conference because it is longer!!! And more expensive because of the extra day.

We have booked our direct flights...$400 per ticket:bugeye: Last year it was around $365 so it is not that far out of line.

Will miss the Exec. Banquet, but truthfully, we did stupid activities and the night was just too darn long. I am at the age where sleep is needed. The last day I would drag through and then have to get on a flight and not kill people by the time I got home, I would be so tired and ugly.

We also tried to book at room at the McCormick hotel and they are booked solid. (not sure if rooms to reserve were booked by PC already or not). We wanted 2 bathrooms so we have already booked in at the Hilton across from Grant park. So with meals, etc. it is going to run us between $1100 and $1200 not counting registration!

We would have to travel 4 to 5 hours to get cheaper flights...and if we were to drive...that is over 1/3 of the distance. We have tried to drive, but there is one consultant and I that room together. The hotel stay is long enough.:rolleyes:

Interesting information Colleen. And do not worry about those that are not speaking...how childish!!

My team is so excited for attending their first national conference I am I excited to go with them. I am pondering staying at the Double Tree by the Hilton to save a little money, has anyone stayed there, it is within 1/4 mile of the Sheraton so we can just walk to get the buses. Also close to sightseeing/dining at navy pier..

I will miss the recognition at exec banquet, but really not the dinner etc. and It provides another night for us to go do something fun in Chicago.

finley1991 said:
Last year, unexpectedly, a friend of my family's was in Chicago and I had one afternoon to see her (the afternoon after closing session). I hadn't seen her in 3 years and opted to meet her for lunch. One of the consultants I was with wouldn't speak to me since I opted to meet my friend instead of having lunch with her and some other consultants to debrief and goal set from conference. I did ask her why we couldn't do it during the 5 hour bus ride home and she said that the *plan* was to do it at lunch.

I guess I'm just tired of them acting like babies and then feeling guilty about not giving them what they want when they whine about it.

So my question, I guess, is how do we promote conference and promote independence while they are there???? At this point, I really don't feel like encouraging any of them to go and I really hate having this attitude!!! Any thoughts or suggestions are more than welcome!!!!

Oh Colleen- Don't even get me started. This happened to me at our Spring Launch meeting. I'm too lazy to type it all, but I just can't deal with the neediness. UGH! :yuck:

My Director paired me up with people in her downline, but not local for the first time I went to NC. We "bonded" but I was still on my ownish. Maybe connecting your team with others in sister-director teams or something.She also has an invite-only get-together in her room, usually on the night before NC or the first night. Very casual with wine, sodas and usually chocolate. Maybe if you plan something special like that and letting them know that this is the time to hang out.I have also seen people with scavenger hunts where they had to find one Director or above and ask a question, find an Excellence Awards winner and ask a question, etc. Give them something to do that isn't with you.

Great ideas Kate! Thanks! :)

I think the reason for no exec dinner, there are now 21 NED's, there used to be 12, and not to mention how many new EDs and SEDs, where on earth would they put them all for the dinners, since it's one combined conference? I don't think it's just cost, it's also the logistics of it all. Registration should be opening soon, along with the hotels they have blocked off (April 12th or so, from what she could remember), what I heard from a retreat with Robin Shilling, yesterday.

I'm anxious to see how they are going to make a mega-huge conference work. I'm sure lots of stuff will be different. I'm also sure it will be a great time. Conference is always amazing!! I'm looking forward to it.

I am looking forward to it, as well. Always a good time! Where are you all staying/planning on staying?

I can't wait to see all of you! :)

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My understanding is that the will have half in a general session while the other half is taking classes. I'm not sure if it was my SED or someone else who told me this.

Ann: I love the Chicago Hilton, it's always been my favorite...how much did you reserve your room for? I haven't seen it for less than $225/nite.

I like to be in General Session with my team, but I like taking the classes on my own. This year I think it will be be and may 2 or 3 team members : ) That makes it easier. I will be promoting so that will be fun for me! : )

Nanisu said:
Ann: I love the Chicago Hilton, it's always been my favorite...how much did you reserve your room for? I haven't seen it for less than $225/nite.

It figures out for three of us staying July 11th and checking out the last day to $400 and something. Not cheap but the 2 bathrooms will be good for 3 of us.

$400 each???

I am guessing...I am not at home. Our airfare was $400 and I know our room with a roll away, 3 people and what, 4 nights? And remember...this is not conference rate.

What changes are being made to the annual conference?

As a cost-cutting measure, the annual conference will now be held in Chicago instead of its usual location. This will also provide an opportunity for attendees to explore a new city.

Why was the decision made to move the conference to Chicago?

The decision was made to move the conference to Chicago in order to reduce costs and make the event more accessible to a wider audience. Additionally, Chicago is a vibrant and diverse city that offers a variety of attractions and experiences for conference attendees.

Will the conference still have the same content and activities?

Yes, the conference will still offer the same valuable content and activities as in previous years. In fact, the change in location may provide new opportunities for networking and learning.

What are some ways that attendees can save on travel and lodging expenses in Chicago?

Attendees can save on travel and lodging expenses by booking their accommodations in advance, utilizing public transportation, and taking advantage of any conference discounts on hotels and transportation. Additionally, Chicago has a variety of affordable lodging options such as Airbnb and hostels.

Will there be any changes to the conference registration fees?

Yes, there may be changes to the conference registration fees due to the cost-cutting measures. However, the conference organizers are committed to keeping the fees as affordable as possible while still providing a valuable and enriching experience for all attendees.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• imported_iteachurkid
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
finley1991
  • quiverfull7
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
Chef Kearns
  • Chef Bobby