• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

New Year’s Day Gathering: Dish Suggestions Needed

In summary, the mandaran pasta salad didn't get eaten and the asian meatballs on the cover of last year's consultant planner looked tastey but I haven't tried them. The recipe for the asian pork and noodle skillet from the Spring 2004 SBRC was a hit at my shows. The Asian-style wontons were a hit with my husband being from Japan. The crab rangoon dip was popular at my family's new year celebration.
heat123
Silver Member
I need to bring a dish to our New Years day gathering and wondered if any of you had any recommendations? I tried the mandaran pasta salad and no one really ate that one..last time so onto the next. Has anyone tried those asian meatballs on the cover of last years consultant planner? Those looked tastey? TIA

I haven't tried the meatballs, but how about the Asian Pork and Noodle skillet?

Here's a recipe from the Spring 2004 SBRC that was a hit at my shows:

Asian-Style Wontons

24 square wonton wrappers
1 can (5 oz) chunk white chicken, drained and flaked
½ c fat-free mayonnaise
1 ½ t Pantry Asian Seasoning Mix
1 1” piece peeled fresh gingerroot, pressed
1 can (8 oz) sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
¼ c grated carrot
¼ c finely diced red bell pepper
1 T snipped parsley or cilantro
Additional cilantro or parsley leaves (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Press one wonton wrapper into each cup of Deluxe Mini-Muffin Pan using Mini-Tart Shaper. Lightly spray wontons with vegetable oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown; remove from oven. Remove wonton cups from pan to Stackable Cooling Rack; cool completely.
2. In Classic Batter Bowl, combine chicken, mayonnaise, seasoning mix and gingerroot pressed with Garlic Press; mix well using Small Mix ‘N Scraper. Chop water chestnuts using Food Chopper. Grate carrot using Deluxe Cheese Grater. Finely dice bell pepper using Chef’s Knife. Snip cilantro using Kitchen Shears. Add water chestnuts, carrot, bell pepper and cilantro to batter bowl; mix well.
3. Using Small Scoop, fill each wonton cup with chicken mixture. Garnish with additional cilantro leaves, if desired.

Yield: 24 appetizers

Main dish, appetizer, or salad?My husband is from Japan, so I have a lot of "Asian tested and approved" PC inspired recipes for cooking at home. :)However, pot luck/party food ideas are a different issue.Check the CS posts for "Asian Spring Rolls", from the Good For You PC cookbook. Tasty, especially if you can find the thin Vietnamese style rice wrappers.DH's golf club (Asian guys) are fond of tiny meatballs. I make a classic meatball recipe with bread crumbs or oatmeal and egg as binder. Add chopped water chestnut, green onion, PC Asian seasoning, soy sauce. Bake in the oven to brown. Serve w/ picks and assorted dipping sauces. If you have a server to keep them warm, very tasty.Hmmm...Wish PC had a 'keep warm' serving dish.

Main dish, appetizer, or salad?

My husband is from Japan, so I have a lot of "Asian tested and approved" PC inspired recipes for cooking at home. :)

However, pot luck/party food ideas are a different issue.

Check the Chef Success posts for "Asian Spring Rolls", from the Good For You PC cookbook. Tasty, especially if you can find the thin Vietnamese style rice wrappers.

DH's golf club (Asian guys) are fond of tiny meatballs. I make a classic meatball recipe with bread crumbs or oatmeal and egg as binder. Add chopped water chestnut, green onion, PC Asian seasoning, soy sauce. Bake in the oven to brown. Serve w/ picks and assorted dipping sauces. If you have a server to keep them warm, very tasty.

Hmmm...Wish PC had a 'keep warm' serving dish.

The noodle skillet is actually a good pot-luck dish. I took it to a picnic once. Made it as directed, then poured it into the rectangular baker, which I popped into a warm oven (250F) for about 12 minutes - just long enough to heat the stone. The stoneware kept it reasonably warm - and it's pretty good at room temp, too. :)

OMG!!!! Every time I made the Mandarin Pasta Salad there is never a morsel left!!!!WOW!I agree with the noodle skillet... a little salty for my linking... but a good one!

Do not know if this is Aisan enough, but the crab rangoon dip is awesome!!

CookingwithMary said:
Main dish, appetizer, or salad?

My husband is from Japan, so I have a lot of "Asian tested and approved" PC inspired recipes for cooking at home. :)

However, pot luck/party food ideas are a different issue.

Check the Chef Success posts for "Asian Spring Rolls", from the Good For You PC cookbook. Tasty, especially if you can find the thin Vietnamese style rice wrappers.

DH's golf club (Asian guys) are fond of tiny meatballs. I make a classic meatball recipe with bread crumbs or oatmeal and egg as binder. Add chopped water chestnut, green onion, PC Asian seasoning, soy sauce. Bake in the oven to brown. Serve w/ picks and assorted dipping sauces. If you have a server to keep them warm, very tasty.

Hmmm...Wish PC had a 'keep warm' serving dish.
Thanks! My family is 1/2 Japanese (all married to caucasions LOL) so there is all that authentic funky food for the traditional new year celebration. Those meatballs sound good except I don't have the asian seasoning (go figure but then again, I never make asian meals at any given time :rolleyes: ) .

Maybe instead of assorted dipping sauces maybe just putting them in terriyaki sauce (like ones that are in bbq sauce) would go over well??

Thanks everyone!

1. What are some easy appetizers to serve at a New Year's Day gathering?

Some easy appetizers to serve at a New Year's Day gathering could include cheese and cracker platters, vegetable trays with dip, mini quiches, or deviled eggs. These can be prepared ahead of time and require minimal effort.

2. What are some healthy options for a New Year's Day dish?

Some healthy options for a New Year's Day dish could include a salad with a variety of toppings and dressings, a fruit platter, or a vegetable stir-fry. These dishes are nutritious and can help balance out any indulgent dishes at the gathering.

3. Do you have any suggestions for vegetarian or vegan dishes for a New Year's Day gathering?

For vegetarian or vegan dishes, you could try a lentil or vegetable soup, roasted vegetable skewers, or a quinoa and black bean salad. These dishes are flavorful and satisfying for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians.

4. What are some popular dishes to serve for a New Year's Day brunch?

Some popular dishes for a New Year's Day brunch could include a breakfast casserole, French toast bake, or a make-your-own omelette station. These dishes are hearty and perfect for a late morning gathering.

5. Are there any traditional New Year's Day dishes that you would recommend?

Some traditional New Year's Day dishes include black-eyed peas, collard greens, and cornbread. These dishes are said to bring good luck and prosperity in the coming year. Other popular dishes include pork, which symbolizes progress and moving forward, and round or ring-shaped foods, which represent continuity and a full circle of good fortune.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Tropicalburstqt2
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
kam
  • heat123
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
heat123
  • heat123