• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help Side Dish Suggestions for Tonight!!!

In summary, the conversation was about planning a birthday dinner and looking for side dish suggestions. Some suggestions included Twice Baked Potatoes, Glazed Carrots, Stuffed Mushrooms, Festive Scalloped Corn, Baked Parmesan Risotto, Mike's Favorite Side, Broccoli Salad, and Tortellini bake. The conversation also included a discussion about different types of peas and corn. The original poster tried the Tortellini bake from the Celebrate cookbook and it was a hit.
heat123
Silver Member
We are having Steak, shrimp, salad with potatoes for my hubbies b-day dinner and I wanted to make a yummy Side dish to go along with... any suggestions out there!?

TIA!

Yummy!!!
heat123 said:
We are having Steak, shrimp, salad with potatoes for my hubbies b-day dinner and I wanted to make a yummy Side dish to go along with... any suggestions out there!?

TIA!

Here are my suggestions:

Twice Baked Potatoes my favorite.

I also would like to try those artichokes wrapped in phyllo dough in the new Season's best.

Glazed Carrots

10 to 12 small carrots (or small bag of baby carrots)
2 T. margarine
1 T. brown sugar
2 T. honey
2 T. mint or parsley (optional)

Cook carrots; when tender, drain a colander, set aside. Melt margarine; add sugar and honey. Add carrots. Cook over low heat 5 minutes; stir. Sprinkle with mint or parsley.

Stuffed Mushrooms

2lb. med. to lg. fresh mushrooms
2.5oz. processed ham, chopped
1/2c. plain dry bread crumbs
1/4c. chopped green bell pepper
1 clove garlic, pressed
3tbs. Italian salad dressing

Preheat oven to 400º. Remove stems from mushroom caps. Set aside. Place caps, stem-side up, on baking sheet. Chop enough mushroom stems to measure 1/2 cup. In medium bowl, combine chopped stems, ham, bread crumbs, bell pepper, garlic and dressing. Mix well. Spoon filling into mushroom caps, gently pressing filling into caps. Bake 18-20 min. or till mushrooms are tender and filling is golden brown. Yield 24-30 mushrooms

I'm hungry!! :p
Debbie

Thanks! But does anyone have any good casserole like dishes they have tried and loved?

How about

Festive Scalloped Corn (Celebate Cookbook - page 61) Oval Baker

Baked Parmesan Risotto (Stoneware Inspirations - page 29) Mini Baker

If you need the recipes let me know

This isn't a PC recipe but it is awesome (and I use all PC products to make it). My son hogs the whole thing - we have to pass it around the table with him getting it last so everyone gets some - I AM NOT KIDDING! :eek: And BTW, he doesn't like most side dishes - especially vegetables.

Mike's Favorite Side

Combine in small sauce pan:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar

Bring to a boil, cool slightly.

Prep vegetables:
15 oz. can early peas
15 oz. can field peas
15 oz. can peg corn
Drain and rinse thoroughly.

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup red bell pepper
Chop to about the size of the corn and peas and combine with drained and rinsed vegetables.

Pour oil/vinegar marinade over vegetables. Refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours. Before serving drain excess marinade (liquid) from vegetables.

This one is a PC recipe (I don't know the PC name for it)

Broccoli Salad

1 lb. broccoli flowerets (2 bunches), chopped
1 lg. Spanish Onion, diced
1/2 cup raisins
1 lb. bacon, fried crisp and crumbled (or chopped)
1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped

Dressing:
1 cup mayo
1/2 cup sugar
3Tbsp. vinegar
1 tsp. water

Combine dressing ingredients. Mix salad ingredients except bacon. Add dressing to salad, chill 2-3 hours. Top with crumbled bacon just before serving.

BethCooks4U said:
Prep vegetables:
15 oz. can early peas
15 oz. can field peas
15 oz. can peg corn
Drain and rinse thoroughly.

Beth, What in the world are early peas, field peas and peg corn? I've never heard of those terms before!!!

rebeccastt said:
Beth, What in the world are early peas, field peas and peg corn? I've never heard of those terms before!!!
Early Peas are tiny "new" peas.

Field Peas are more like beans - little beans. They usually come with pieces of green beans in them they call them "snaps" - I know not why - I always pick them out after I rinse them.

Peg Corn - I'm not sure what the difference is from regular corn - maybe a little sweeter? Usually are in smaller cans so I use two cans.

All of them can be found in the vegetable isle. The Early Peas and Peg Corn are with other peas and corn.

The Field Peas are found with the canned beans. I like Luck's brand. Other brands the field peas are larger. They taste the same but the smaller ones look better.

Thank you....I learn something new everyday!

heat123 said:
Thanks! But does anyone have any good casserole like dishes they have tried and loved?
Hi Heather,
It's probably too late, but that Baked Parmesan Risotto that was mentioned in another post is AWESOME!! I made this with the Portobello Chicken Paninis one night and it was great. Yum!

How did the birthday dinner turn out???:D

Thanks for all your replies. I tried the Tortallini bake thing in the celebrate cookbook I think it was. Everyone loved it! That baked risotto sounds good too!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that felt a little "vegetably inadequate"!

Related to Help Side Dish Suggestions for Tonight!!!

1. What are some easy side dishes I can make tonight?

Some easy side dishes you can make tonight include roasted vegetables, quinoa salad, garlic mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, and corn on the cob.

2. Can you suggest some side dishes that pair well with chicken?

Some side dishes that pair well with chicken are roasted sweet potatoes, green beans almondine, wild rice pilaf, roasted Brussels sprouts, and Caesar salad.

3. I'm looking for a healthy side dish option, any suggestions?

For a healthy side dish option, you can try a kale and quinoa salad, roasted asparagus, grilled zucchini, cauliflower rice, or a mixed green salad with homemade vinaigrette dressing.

4. Are there any vegetarian side dish options available?

Yes, there are plenty of vegetarian side dish options available. Some examples are grilled vegetable skewers, caprese salad, roasted root vegetables, ratatouille, and garlic roasted mushrooms.

5. I'm in a time crunch, what are some quick side dishes I can make?

If you're short on time, you can make couscous with roasted vegetables, garlic bread, a simple cucumber and tomato salad, steamed edamame, or a quick sautéed spinach with garlic and lemon.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • 1PamperedMommy
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
cookingwithlove
  • chefheidi2003