• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Dessert Idea for My Book Club Tonight

In summary, the author is trying to decide what to make for dessert and is undecided. She tries two recipes and one suggestion. The first recipe is too sweet for her taste and the second recipe is too complicated. The author recommends a recipe for smores cups that she tried and liked.
babywings76
Gold Member
So it's my turn to host our Book Club. We read a book called "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie." I'm trying to decide what I want to make for dessert. I thought maybe I should make some sort of pie. But I really don't like pie. I'm not a big cooked fruit lover and I don't like a lot of sugary sweet goo that comes along with most pies. Anyway, I do have the new Mini Tart Pans, so I thought maybe I could make something in them. I love cheesecake type things, or chocolate, or peanut butter type things. Oreo crusts, graham cracker crusts, I really do like. So...any recipe ideas out there that might fit with this idea?

Or...I could make something in the Brownie Pan or DCB, and scrap the whole pie idea. So any other ideas for just well-loved desserts woud be great, too! I could do a trifle.... :D (I'm such an indecisive person! :blushing:)

How about one of those recipes for key lime pie with the new margarita mix? Or, my favorite, are the smores cups. They look like bite sized pies with their graham cracker crust:D and the "sweetness at the bottom of the pie" certainly pertains!

I tried the Key Lime Pie with the margarita mix and it was a bit too sweet for my taste. I'd have to play around with it and see how I could tone it down. I agree, the S'More Cups are amazing! I was majorly addicted to them last spring/summer and made them at least once a week. I took them everywhere and made them for everyone. :D YUM! I could make those, they certainly are easy! OH! That reminds me...maybe I should try that new PB S'Mores recipe someone posted in the I Love My Brownie Pan group on FB. I'll go grab it and post it here so you guys can all see it. BRB!

http://melssweetlife.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/peanut-butter-cup-smores-bars/

Peanut Butter Cup S’mores Bars (adapted from Pinch of Yum and Sprinkle Some Sunshine)

yield: 16 large/20 small squares

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
16 peanut butter cups, regular size
1 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 baking dishing with parchment paper; coat lightly with cooking spray.
In a large bowl of the bowl of stand mixer, beat butter and sugars until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Scrape down the sides. With the mixer on low, stir in the flour, baking powder, salt, and graham cracker crumbs until mixed.
Spread 2/3 of the dough on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Lightly press the peanut butter cups into the dough, then spread marshmallow fluff on top. Press the remaining dough on a non-stick surface into the shape of an 8×8 square. Place the square on top of the fluff and press down lightly.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown. Allow to cool for at least two hours* to give the bars a chance to set, then remove from the pan and cut into squares with a large, sharp knife.
*Originally I said the bars needed to cool for 8 hours, but after making them again I’ve realized they’re ready to go after only about 2. I also bet they are DAAANG good straight from the oven

Attachments

• dsc_0465.jpg
    dsc_0465.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 581
I vote for straight out of the oven for those babies! And I can see how you could make them in the brownie pan! YUMMMM

banana supreme- make them in the bp

Last edited:
I made the PB S'mores and they turned out great! They were gobbled up really fast! I took them out of the oven and let them rest 5-10 minutes and then flipped them out. They were perfect! Next time I'm making them for an event, I will double the batch and do 2 pans of them. They go quick! It's funny, too, because I cut a lot of them in half in case they were too rich and people didn't want a whole one. Everyone came back for more.

Have you seen the new square marshmallows???? i can't wait to try them in the brownie pan!!!!!

carlajanes said:
Have you seen the new square marshmallows???? i can't wait to try them in the brownie pan!!!!!

No I haven't!! Cool! I'll have to look for them. The Fluff was a little tricky to work with. It might be easier with a marshmallow. I'll have to try it to compare and let you know which way is better.

I have a recipe that isn't PC, but it's great this time of year. I call it:YOGURT PIE1 container of raspberry yogurt with fruit on the bottom
1 small box of raspberry jello (not sugar free)
1 8 oz container Cool Whip
Fresh raspberries
graham cracker crustMix together yogurt and powdered jello in a bowl. Fold in Cool whip and most of the fresh raspberries Pour mixture into graham cracker crust and top with remaining berries.Refrigerate and enjoy an hour later.You can substitute any fruit and match it with a jello and yogurt flavor.Variations would be to not fold in the berries, but keep them in a bowl. Fill the EAD with the fluffy mixture and let them squeeze some onto vanilla wafers or graham crackers and top with a berry.It's a huge hit at my house!

and I just realized I'm a day late! HAHA! Glad your smores turned out! They sound yummy

babywings76 said:
I made the PB S'mores and they turned out great! They were gobbled up really fast! I took them out of the oven and let them rest 5-10 minutes and then flipped them out. They were perfect! Next time I'm making them for an event, I will double the batch and do 2 pans of them. They go quick! It's funny, too, because I cut a lot of them in half in case they were too rich and people didn't want a whole one. Everyone came back for more.

Did you do these in the brownie pan?

Brenda.the.chef said:
and I just realized I'm a day late! HAHA!

Story of my life!!! A day late and about $100 too short.

Did you do these in the brownie pan?

Yep, I did them in the brownie pan. The recipe made one pan full. I used the small scoop to put in the bottom layer, but saw that they could use a little more, so I added a bit to each. So you probably could use the medium scoop for that 1st step. Then I did the PB cup (regular size). I tried using the medium scoop to do the Fluff, but it was sooooo sticky and only worked well for the first 3 blobs. So then I had to use a knife, but it was hard to not make a mess. The medium scoop I also think was too much. So I didn't put the same amount on the others. I put some parchment paper on the counter and then used the small scoop to divy up the rest of the dough to form into the 12 tops. I just flattened them out and made them square-ish and then put them on the tops. I made sure that they had good contact with the fluff and then made sure all the edges went down into the wells and didn't sit on the outside edges of the pan. The released great after they cooled for 5-10 minutes.

Brenda.the.chef said:
I have a recipe that isn't PC, but it's great this time of year. I call it:

YOGURT PIE

1 container of raspberry yogurt with fruit on the bottom
Fresh raspberries
graham cracker crust

Mix together yogurt and powdered jello in a bowl. Fold in Cool whip and most of the fresh raspberries

Pour mixture into graham cracker crust and top with remaining berries.

Refrigerate and enjoy an hour later.

You can substitute any fruit and match it with a jello and yogurt flavor.

Variations would be to not fold in the berries, but keep them in a bowl. Fill the EAD with the fluffy mixture and let them squeeze some onto vanilla wafers or graham crackers and top with a berry.

It's a huge hit at my house!

This sounds so good! I think I'll be making these soon! :) Thanks for sharing it!

babywings76 said:
Yep, I did them in the brownie pan. The recipe made one pan full. I used the small scoop to put in the bottom layer, but saw that they could use a little more, so I added a bit to each. So you probably could use the medium scoop for that 1st step. Then I did the PB cup (regular size). I tried using the medium scoop to do the Fluff, but it was sooooo sticky and only worked well for the first 3 blobs. So then I had to use a knife, but it was hard to not make a mess. The medium scoop I also think was too much. So I didn't put the same amount on the others. I put some parchment paper on the counter and then used the small scoop to divy up the rest of the dough to form into the 12 tops. I just flattened them out and made them square-ish and then put them on the tops. I made sure that they had good contact with the fluff and then made sure all the edges went down into the wells and didn't sit on the outside edges of the pan. The released great after they cooled for 5-10 minutes.

I bet you could flatten the top dough with a brown scraper to make the size of the scraper-they are the exact size of the brownie pan! I am soooo making this recipe this weekend. Going to try finding the big marshmellow someone mentioned! If I get it to work, I'm taking them to my shows next weekend! Thanks for sharing:D

Brenda.the.chef said:
I have a recipe that isn't PC, but it's great this time of year. I call it:

YOGURT PIE

1 container of raspberry yogurt with fruit on the bottom
Fresh raspberries
graham cracker crust

Mix together yogurt and powdered jello in a bowl. Fold in Cool whip and most of the fresh raspberries

Pour mixture into graham cracker crust and top with remaining berries.

Refrigerate and enjoy an hour later.

You can substitute any fruit and match it with a jello and yogurt flavor.

Variations would be to not fold in the berries, but keep them in a bowl. Fill the EAD with the fluffy mixture and let them squeeze some onto vanilla wafers or graham crackers and top with a berry.

It's a huge hit at my house!

Hi again! I'm going to make this tonight, but wanted to double check with you on the amount of yogurt. Is it just one of the regular small ones (single serving)? Or is it one of the larger containers. I bought 5 small ones in case because I couldn't find a fruit on the bottom large one. Also, how much does this make? I was going to use the mini tart pans. Do you think one batch would be enough to just do the 6 tart pans, or do you think there will be extra that I can make a few extra or another 6?

Amanda
Buy the single serving size yogurt. I apologize for not making that clear. It makes enough to fill one graham cracker crust, so I would think it would be enough for the 6 tart pans. You can always purchase a 12 oz container of cool whip if you want to make it stretch. It won't be as intense a flavor, but it is still good.

Okay, great! Thanks for the quick reply! I bought some fresh strawberries from a local farm and can't wait to make this! :)

Strawberry is my favorite, with raspberry being a close second!
Let me know what you think!

What are some easy dessert ideas for my book club tonight?

Some easy dessert ideas for your book club tonight could include no-bake cheesecake, fruit platters with a chocolate dipping sauce, or mini fruit tarts made with pre-made pie crust.

What desserts pair well with wine for a book club meeting?

Desserts that pair well with wine for a book club meeting could include chocolate truffles, raspberry white chocolate tartlets, or a variety of cheeses with fruit and crackers.

Are there any gluten-free dessert options for my book club?

Yes, there are plenty of gluten-free dessert options for your book club. Some ideas could include flourless chocolate cake, fruit sorbet, or gluten-free cookies.

What are some make-ahead dessert options for my book club?

Some make-ahead dessert options for your book club could include a fruit crumble that can be reheated, chocolate mousse cups that can be assembled in advance, or mini fruit pies that can be made the day before.

Do you have any healthy dessert options for my book club?

Yes, there are plenty of healthy dessert options for your book club. Some ideas could include fruit skewers with a yogurt dipping sauce, dark chocolate covered strawberries, or frozen banana bites.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AJPratt
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • wadesgirl