• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Wedding Dessert Bar Help Needed

I know this product has been around a while, but it's become my new favorite and I am bonkers over the cookie press right now!
cookingwithhart
My daughter is getting married in June and decided she wants to have a dessert bar instead of a wedding cake. She said she loves dessert way too much to limit herself to just one! She so takes after her mom!!!

Being the crazy control freak that I am I want to make the desserts myself, or at least as many as possible. Here's a list of the what we are having:

Chocolate fudge cake

Carrot cake (recipe said better the 2nd day)

Lemon cake (I forget the name, it's a PC recipe with cool whip on top)

Strawberry cheesecake trifle

Chocolate peanut butter trifle

Strawberry banana trifle

Banana cheesecake

Double chocolate cheesecake

White Chocolate Raspberry cheesecake

Turtle cheesecake

NY cheesecake with toppings

Marble square brownies (Jacquelyn)

Sugar cookies (Sharon)

Fresh fruit and dip

I know I can make the cheesecakes ahead of time and freeze them, that's one reason there's so many, how far in advance can I make the trifles and cakes? I think this looks like enough to serve 150 people.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I've never taken on anything this big!

Thanks,
Bonnie

I don't think I would make the Trifles until the very day. The cakes you can make in advance and freeze with no problem.

That looks like a lot!! I think I would narrow the selections down a little - like 6-7 max. I understand having a bar concept but the more options you have the more people are going to eat... just to sample them. Plus if you are doing this yourself you are going to be exhausted and you want to enjoy your daughters wedding... not spend the entire reception restocking the deserts. I helped my mom cater my sister's wedding and you really want to focus on what is important... and it isn't the desert - it is the people that are there to celebrate the day with your family. Just make sure you aren't overdoing and will have time to hang out and enjoy the people.

the old lime mousse cake recipe (old SB) is incredible and great made ahead of time

Actually you can freeze the trifles. A team member has done it and the taste is just the same, and travels well!

Also, I know it isnt PC but what about a Chocolate Fountain?

Teresa Lynn said:
the old lime mousse cake recipe (old SB) is incredible and great made ahead of time
I'll have to try to find this recipe.

I don't know how to get more than one quote in a post.

"Actually you can freeze the trifles. A team member has done it and the taste is just the same, and travels well!
Also, I know it isnt PC but what about a Chocolate Fountain?"

Really...I would not have guessed that. I thought I could make them the day before, but that would be it.

I had a chocolate fountain at my wedding a couple years ago, so she wants something different.

"The cakes you can make in advance and freeze with no problem."

Do you freeze them unfrosted?

Thanks all

Last edited:
My cousin had a fondue fountain and fresh fruit...it was great! If you do a fondue fountain make sure you have someone with it at all times. It can get a little messy.

I just got the cookie press for the first time - make some VERY ELEGANT looking little cookies and very easy to use! I made Chocolate Chip Spritz cookies, and then dipped half of the cookie in chocolate and sprinkled some chopped pecans... I wish i had a picture I would post it! You can also color the dough with some food coloring and tie it in with the wedding colors if you like, or add other edible decorations to the cookies.

bsaxman said:
I just got the cookie press for the first time - make some VERY ELEGANT looking little cookies and very easy to use! I made Chocolate Chip Spritz cookies, and then dipped half of the cookie in chocolate and sprinkled some chopped pecans... I wish i had a picture I would post it! You can also color the dough with some food coloring and tie it in with the wedding colors if you like, or add other edible decorations to the cookies.
What a cute idea! And cookies freeze very well.

cookingwithhart said:
What a cute idea! And cookies freeze very well.

Yes they do freeze well.And if you go to a cake decorating store, you can get very cute and elegant decorations that are edible sugar! silver, pearl, rock sugar... Most of all its easy and so elegant.... I know this product has been around a while, but it's become my new favorite and I am bonkers over the cookie press right now!

bsaxman said:
Yes they do freeze well.And if you go to a cake decorating store, you can get very cute and elegant decorations that are edible sugar! silver, pearl, rock sugar... Most of all its easy and so elegant.... I know this product has been around a while, but it's become my new favorite and I am bonkers over the cookie press right now!
I've never tried the cookie press, seems like I could really make a mess of things. But I'm willing to give it a try for my little girl. I can even see giving the cookies as a wedding favor. I have a show on Wednesday, I think I'll order myself a cookie press and give it a try.

There was a great thread on here that had some GREAT recipes and tips, try doing a search for it. Just make sure it is a "spritz" recipe. Some customers swear by the cookie dough you buy premade at the store, but I haven't tried that yet.

I'd be leery of serving trifles at all, just because they're gorgeous when served, but as soon as a couple people have helped themselves, they become a mess. Items that are pre-portioned (even if that's just cut into small squares and left on the tray with a serving spatula) will stay neater and allow you to control the number of servings from each recipe. And as someone pointed out above, the more variety you have, the more you'll need to make total because everyone will want a taste of each. I think 3-4 recipes will be plenty.The Profiterole Puffs from the theme shows a couple of years ago (recipe still on CC) are easy and tasty, and can be frozen, even after they're filled.

chefann said:
I'd be leery of serving trifles at all, just because they're gorgeous when served, but as soon as a couple people have helped themselves, they become a mess. Items that are pre-portioned (even if that's just cut into small squares and left on the tray with a serving spatula) will stay neater and allow you to control the number of servings from each recipe. And as someone pointed out above, the more variety you have, the more you'll need to make total because everyone will want a taste of each. I think 3-4 recipes will be plenty.

The Profiterole Puffs from the theme shows a couple of years ago (recipe still on CC) are easy and tasty, and can be frozen, even after they're filled.
Oh gosh, you make a really good point! I just love trifles and they are so easy to make. But they really do look kinda gross after people start digging in. I'll have a talk with my daughter about that and see what she wants to do.

I haven't tried the Profiterole Puffs, I'll give them a try.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I agree about no trifles. I would focus on less than 10 "finger" desserts.

Profiterole puffs
petit fours
Chocolate fountain w/fruit & marshmallows or choc. dipped strawberries
Lemon & chocolate tartlets
chocolate truffles (rolled in coconut, almonds, cocoa, etc)
cheesecake tarts (mini-muffin pan)
lemon spritz cookies w/powdered sugar

With that many people you will want to keep it someone finger food friendly - or small stations - you can do a bunch of little things or stations that have different themes - a cheesecake theme (diffferent toppings for slices) a chocolate theme - (need I say more??) a fruit theme (for those who are watching calories) or candy station - filled with tons of assorted candy .

Yeah definitely no trifles...that could be a disaster with 150 hands in them. Can you make mini versions of the cakes? Like Carrot cake cupcakes instead of the actual cake, mini cheesecakes and so on. I think that would be a nicer presentation.

I did a "Welcome" Tea for a new staff member at church a couple years ago, and it was a Profiterole Puff Sundae Bar.

We had a couple plates piled high with mini profiterole puffs, and then bowls of strawberries, pineapple, chocolate, caramel, nuts, whipped cream, sprinkles, and cherries. It was very pretty, and everyone just made their own Profiterole Puff Sundae.

I know you're getting so many ideas and different desserts to try right now that you're probably a bit overwhelmed, but if you do decide to go with more finger foods, Oreo Balls are GREAT!! It's not a PC recipe, I did find it on here though. There is a link from one of the threads on here to a different site and I found them there. You just crush up a bag of oreo's (minus 7) in a food processor, add a block of cream cheese (I do with hands, but could do in processor as well) then chill. Scoop into balls and roll in Almond Bark or Chocolate. You could even get candy melts in your daughter's wedding colors. Anyway, they are to die for!!!! And, great finger dessert.:D

Similar to Shawna's idea are the cake balls that were mentioned in a thread on here awhile back. You bake a cake, crumble it and mix it with cream cheese frosting, scoop into balls and chill, then roll in melted chocolate.When I made them I forgot to chill them so I skipped rolling them in chocolate, and they were still yummy! It was a small bite of cake and frosting I could eat with my fingers...

Oh my gosh you guys are full of wonderful ideas! You've convinced me about the trifles. I love all the ideas about finger foods. I'll have to show all the ideas to my daughter and we'll decide together. We both love cheesecake, so I don't see that leaving the table. I can easily make the carrot cake into cupcakes. I think she'll want one cake to cut to be somewhat traditional, so it'll probably be the chocolate one.
Keep the wonderful ideas coming!
Thanks!!!

Now that I think about it, we did Profiterole Towers as the dessert at my sister's wedding rehearsal dinner. We just stacked them up high on platters and then drizzled fudge ice cream topping over them. hmmm.... other good finger desserts...
brownies cut into small squares (you can get 150 1" squares from a single pan of the Caramel Nutty Brownies)
mini cheesecakes (in foil cups in muffin pan) - top with fruit or have fruit topping available so people can top their own
lemon bars
Pecan TassiesI also suggest that you have several flavors represented: vanilla, nut, chocolate, fruit, etc. If all the desserts are chocolate and someone doesn't like chocolate, then they won't see anything they like. And if you can make things that freeze well and only have to be placed on serving trays to thaw, then that frees up your time on the wedding day.

What about cupcakes and cookies? I wouldn't do too many desserts, it would be too hard on you. You can always make several different flavors/types/icing etc and they can be made ahead of time. They have some great cake and cupcake stands to make them look great. That way, you wouldn't have to worry about it. Just have someone keep an eye on them and keep them stocked and then you can enjoy the wedding. I made my own wedding cake (which served 375) and working on that the day before and the day of the wedding had me so stressed!!!

Yes you can freeze the cake already frosted. I made individual cakes for my wedding about 2 months in advance and froze them. Just go to the local bakery and get some cake boxes and freeze them like that. Then just get them out on the way to the wedding and they are ready!!

Wow, the wedding is in 17 days!!! I know you guys are going to think I'm crazy, but I've enjoyed baking for my daughter's wedding. Here's our final dessert menu.

Banana Cheesecake
Double Chocolate Cheesecake
Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake
White Chocolate Cheesecake
Lemon Cheesecake
New York Style Cheesecake
Brownie Truffle Cups
Pecan Tassies
Peanut Butter Chocolate Bites
Sugar Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Marble Square Brownies
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Brownies
Double Frosted Bourbon Brownies
Snowballs
Fresh Fruit
And 300 Lemon Cheese Spritz Cookies for favors

My aunt and 4 sisters are each making either one of the brownies or cookies, so I haven't made everything! I don't have to serve the desserts, there are friends that will do that.

I have 4 of the cheesecakes in the freezer and all but one batch of the favor cookies. I used the flower mold on the cookie press for the cookies and sprinkled them with either purple or silver sugar glitter and put icing in the center and topped that with the sugar glitter too. They look really cute.

Abbie wants to use Pampered Chef platters for the desserts...she's such a little PC pimp! I got her a nice cake platter at one of her showers that we will serve one of the cheesecakes on.

I plan to cut the cheesecakes into small squares so they will be more sample size. I know I'll want to try more than 1 flavor! My DH insisted I make the PB Cup one to be sure it was ok since I've never made one before. He was very satisfied!

My daughter's darling future MIL still thinks they need a wedding cake...it's tradition! Not sure what I'll do if she shows up with a store bought wedding cake!

Ok, do you think I missed anything? LOL I guess it's a little heavy on chocolate, but...

cookingwithhart said:
My daughter's darling future MIL still thinks they need a wedding cake...it's tradition! Not sure what I'll do if she shows up with a store bought wedding cake!

Well... as long as they have something to cut- maybe that's the tradition the MIL is really wanting. That is usually a big kodac moment, and of course the bride and groom need to have the opportunity to smoosh cake in each others face. Makes everyone laugh and have a good time :D So have them cut the cheesecake or... go to Michaels or your local craft store, buy the small cake pan that would normally go on the top layer, and make them a mini-cake to cut. Maybe that will satisfy the MIL. After all, you are merging families here... :)

My daughter doesn't want the cake smashing tradition. It wasn't my idea to not have any cake, I personally love cake, but my daughter doesn't want it. I had cake in my original menu and she cut them out...I even tried cupcakes.

what does the hubbie-to-be think? As long as it doesn't bother him :D

Um... the tradition is cutting cake and feeding it to each other, not smashing it. That's a recent, rude, variation that should be stopped.

bsaxman said:
what does the hubbie-to-be think? As long as it doesn't bother him :D
My daughter has said that they don't want cake and I know he loves cheesecake. I think he's more interested in the beer to tell you the truth. ;)

Um... the tradition is cutting cake and feeding it to each other, not smashing it. That's a recent, rude, variation that should be stopped.
I think my daughter is a little afraid of this new variation on the tradition and she isn't a fan of it!

Can't say I blame her. My SIL complained at my wedding that DH and I didn't get cake all over each other. You know what, though - she wasn't the one who had to (potentially) walk around with frosting on her face, or remove a bunch of makeup trying to get it off.My sister had layered cheesecake and chiffon cake for her wedding. It was really good. And because we didn't get a decorated traditional wedding cake (we got sheet cakes and boxed them up the night before the wedding in individual boxes as favors), it was a lot cheaper.

chefann said:
I'd be leery of serving trifles at all, just because they're gorgeous when served, but as soon as a couple people have helped themselves, they become a mess. Items that are pre-portioned (even if that's just cut into small squares and left on the tray with a serving spatula) will stay neater and allow you to control the number of servings from each recipe. And as someone pointed out above, the more variety you have, the more you'll need to make total because everyone will want a taste of each. I think 3-4 recipes will be plenty.

The Profiterole Puffs from the theme shows a couple of years ago (recipe still on CC) are easy and tasty, and can be frozen, even after they're filled.

I am totally with Anne on this one. Trifles are beautiful, but the mess factor creeps in real quick!!

With all the cake ideas, have you considered cupcakes??? You could make mini cupcakes. As for all your options, I agree with another Cheffer... way too many options. Everyone will want to take one of each. Narrow the options to now more than five, hitting the major dessert groups: nuts, chocolate, fruit and cheese(cake)

chefann said:

Here! Here!

When we got married, there were people actually waiting for us to smash cake - and we had agreed way before the wedding that it would not happen! What is the purpose of smashing cake all over each other? It takes a beautiful symbolic gesture of taking care of each other, and turns it into a mockery.

Sorry it that sounds feisty.....:eek: I guess you struck a nerve.

cookingwithhart said:
Wow, the wedding is in 17 days!!! I know you guys are going to think I'm crazy, but I've enjoyed baking for my daughter's wedding. Here's our final dessert menu.

Banana Cheesecake
Double Chocolate Cheesecake
Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake
White Chocolate Cheesecake
Lemon Cheesecake
New York Style Cheesecake
Brownie Truffle Cups
Pecan Tassies
Peanut Butter Chocolate Bites
Sugar Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Marble Square Brownies
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Brownies
Double Frosted Bourbon Brownies
Snowballs
Fresh Fruit
And 300 Lemon Cheese Spritz Cookies for favors

My aunt and 4 sisters are each making either one of the brownies or cookies, so I haven't made everything! I don't have to serve the desserts, there are friends that will do that.

I have 4 of the cheesecakes in the freezer and all but one batch of the favor cookies. I used the flower mold on the cookie press for the cookies and sprinkled them with either purple or silver sugar glitter and put icing in the center and topped that with the sugar glitter too. They look really cute.

Abbie wants to use Pampered Chef platters for the desserts...she's such a little PC pimp! I got her a nice cake platter at one of her showers that we will serve one of the cheesecakes on.

I plan to cut the cheesecakes into small squares so they will be more sample size. I know I'll want to try more than 1 flavor! My DH insisted I make the PB Cup one to be sure it was ok since I've never made one before. He was very satisfied!

Ok, do you think I missed anything? LOL I guess it's a little heavy on chocolate, but...

WOW! Lots of LOVE and work!

Kitchen2u said:
WOW! Lots of LOVE and work!
It's been fun doing it for her...she's my only daughter. But my heart stopped when one of her friends started talking about needing someone to make cakes for her wedding. Thankfully my neice was there and she told her that her mom made her wedding cake and I kept my mouth shut!
I should get most of the baking finished this weekend. That will give my back a little time to recover!

The wedding was beautiful!!! It turned out to be a perfect day for an outdoor wedding in the mid-west. Everyone raved about the dessert bar, which was a site to behold! A tasteful homemade cake joined the dessert bar... without a topper. My sisters and my daughter's wonderful friends took over at the wedding and I was able to sit and enjoy the occasion. Thank you all for you suggestions and well wishes.

cookingwithhart said:
The wedding was beautiful!!! It turned out to be a perfect day for an outdoor wedding in the mid-west. Everyone raved about the dessert bar, which was a site to behold! A tasteful homemade cake joined the dessert bar... without a topper. My sisters and my daughter's wonderful friends took over at the wedding and I was able to sit and enjoy the occasion. Thank you all for you suggestions and well wishes.

That is AWESOME to hear that, I've been looking for an update to the dessert bar. Will you please share some pictures when you get the chance, I would LOVE to see it!!!

cookingwithhart said:

I don't know why....your post brought tears to my eyes! I guess I cry at every wedding!! I am glad that it turned out the way you all wanted it!

1. Can I make the desserts myself?

Yes, you can definitely make the desserts yourself. It's a great way to save money and add a personal touch to the wedding.

2. How far in advance can I make the trifles and cakes?

The trifles and cakes can be made a day or two in advance and stored in the refrigerator. However, if you are making a larger quantity, they can be made up to a week in advance and stored in the freezer. Just make sure to thaw them in the refrigerator before serving.

3. How many desserts should I plan for 150 people?

It's always better to have more desserts than not enough. It's recommended to have at least 1-2 servings of each dessert per person, so for 150 people, you should have at least 150-300 servings of desserts.

4. Any suggestions for making this task easier?

One way to make the task easier is to enlist the help of family and friends. You can also make some of the desserts ahead of time and freeze them, as well as preparing the fruit and dip the day before. And don't forget to delegate tasks and ask for help if needed!

5. Is there anything else I should consider when planning a wedding dessert bar?

Make sure to consider any dietary restrictions or allergies of your guests when choosing the desserts. You can also add a variety of desserts, such as gluten-free or vegan options, to accommodate all of your guests. And don't forget to have fun and enjoy the process!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Brenda.the.chef
  • babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • heat123