• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Advice! Hostess Is Hard to Deal With, She Booked Again!

In summary, a consultant is dealing with a difficult host who has caused numerous problems and changes for a catalog show. Despite these challenges, the consultant was able to make some sales and bookings. However, the host is now requesting to do three recipes instead of the usual one for a cooking show. The consultant is advised to firmly explain that she is not a caterer and to only do one recipe as per the company's format.
buckeyefan08
I need to know how to deal with this woman! The first thing you need to know is that she is a consultant with another company. She called me wanting to do a catalog show in Feb. She was supposed to do one in Nov. that turned in to a Dec. show then she quit returning my calls when I was trying to get her to close in order to get her stuff in before Christmas. I gave up! Then she calls out of the blue and wants to do it in Feb. So I told myself "one last chance!" She calls on Feb. 5th and says she would like to turn her show into a cooking show ON THE 10th! I wanted the double points so I bit the bullet and did a Sunday show. She wanted to do the quick turkey chili in the DCB and the new choc. strawberry cake in the fluted pan. She insisted on two recipies! I get all packed up on the morning of the show and she calls... She doesn't want to do the cake, no one thinks chocolate and strawberries will taste good together!:eek: She now wants to do the Taffy Apple Pizza. OK, fine, whatever! I told myself to suck it up and make it the best I could.
I get there and I kid you not she had the smallest microwave I've ever seen. I had already given her the measurements of the baker and she said it would fit, well it didn't. Then her niece who wanted her to have the show so she could see the DCB said she wouldn't buy it b/c she didn't see it in action!
This woman was supposed to ready to close that day even before it turned into a cooking show and she of course wasn't. She closed the 15th of Feb. so after all that I didn't even get the double points! She called me everyday at least three times a day with little questions about the products that were answered in the description in the catalog. Then she calls me mad because she didn't have this or that when she was separating orders... she had only gotten 3 of 6 boxes!! I told her that could happen!
Anyway, She had a four hundred dollar show and three bookings! One of which is a catalog show in March while I'm on "maternity leave" so that is great! The others are in May when I come back to doing cooking shows. One of the shows is hers, she wanted to book again.:thumbup: The problem is now she wants to do three recipies! How do I deal with someone this difficult but is still has such great shows?

Sorry for the length, venting a little too! Third trimester hormones get the best of me these days:cry:

Have her prepare two of the recipes and you demo one of them... if she's insisting on all those recipes. You're not a caterer... I'm sorry you've got a difficult host... that can't be fun to deal with. I'm always wary about appliances now though. I went to a show and forgot (my own friend no less) didn't have a microwave... thankfully I came prepared but it got me in the habit of assuming nothing and asking for specifics... like if there is a microwave how old, what the inner dimensions are... I went to one show I was glad I didn't do a micro recipe on... the thing was older than any I'd seen in a long time and had to nuke the chocolate chips for twice the recipe length just for that... couldn't imagine if I had to cook with it. LOL...

Just tell her the cooking show format changed with PC, and you'd like to follow it and it does only ONE recipe.She is more than welcome to make and serve other PC recipes on her own.You are not her caterer...

Put your foot down! Tell her that if she wants to do more than 1 recipe you would be happy to supply her with the recipes and she can make them herself before the party.

buckeyefan08 said:
She doesn't want to do the cake, no one thinks chocolate and strawberries will taste good together!:eek:

Are you kidding me?? Those 2 make one of the best flavor combinations ever! Has she never heard of chocolate covered strawberries or a sundae with strawberry ice cream and hot fudge?? :confused:

Ugh - sorry you have to deal with her! :grumpy:

wadesgirl said:
Put your foot down! Tell her that if she wants to do more than 1 recipe you would be happy to supply her with the recipes and she can make them herself before the party.

And depending on how forceful you feel like being... you could tell her, "I will be submitting your show on [date] and will need all orders and payments - including your own - that day."

redsoxgirl said:
Are you kidding me?? Those 2 make one of the best flavor combinations ever! Has she never heard of chocolate covered strawberries or a sundae with strawberry ice cream and hot fudge?? :confused:

Ugh - sorry you have to deal with her! :grumpy:

Yeah that confused me too.... I mean, neopolitan ice cream.. hello, strawberry, chocolate and vanilla.... chocolate covered strawberries.... I can think of very few fruits that chocolate wouldn't compliment, geesh. LOL

I had a difficult host as well last year in November. She used to be a PC consultant and because of that she was very bossy. When I mentioned though I only do one recipe because I don't want to hold her guests hostage for hours she laughed and asked for the recipe and made it herself before the party. I thought she was going to be upset but now she's a great host to work with! Her party closed out at $718 (my highest show) and she rebooked.

Just tell her how you run YOUR business. I'm absolutely sure she will understand why you only do one recipe.

Thats what I said!! But hey I'm 3 1/2 weeks away from having a baby there isn't much I won't eat right now!!
The other thing that blows my mind is she is a consultant for another company. How does she do her shows? When I closed her show with her she actually handed me stuff for me to do a catalog show for her! I'd never said a nything about doing a show for her, she called me to do her PC show, I didn't ask her!

What did you say when she handed you catalogs?

Have you tried the new interactive show? Might want to on her show, that way you only have time for one recipe.

What does she sell?:confused:

Maybe you should return the favor:D

I mean it seems she alone has givin you lots of trouble, I mean advice, on how to be a "wonderful" hostess.

I can't believe she is being so difficult. Surely no matter what she sells, she should have a clue as to how rude she is being.

I personally would try and convince her to have only catalog shows, then maybe your headaches would be fewer.

You could always recuit her.....:cry: then I'm sure she would really drive you crazy with phone calls.

I'm not much help, sorry

My DH said to recruit her to!!! LOL I'd have to be nuts!
She sells Princess House. I have a 2yr. old a4yr. old and a baby on the way, crystal is not what I need to spend my money on right now! I didn't know what to say when she gave me the stuff. I just put it in my bag and left! (how rude am I?!? LOL)

buckeyefan08 said:
She sells Princess House. I have a 2yr. old a4yr. old and a baby on the way, crystal is not what I need to spend my money on right now! I didn't know what to say when she gave me the stuff. I just put it in my bag and left! (how rude am I?!? LOL)
I've heard some bad stories about PH from here! No wonder!

Ugh people like that drive me nuts.

I agree, tell her she could prepare the 2 recipes ahead of time, but PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN!! you are not the caterer.

Some people are so rude ... dont get me started. LOL

I had a show like this on Sunday--the woman had 15 coming, and wanted to have her daughter help cook along with a few friends. I told her no problem, was it a kids show or an adult show? She assured me that the kids just wanted to make one recipe and go play. So we did the ind. cakes in the prep bowls with the kids--then they wanted to go play--except the host's dd, who wanted to stay and cook. Well, it wasn't my kid, wasn't my show, so I looked at the hostess and she does nothing--so I send the kids to go play and tell them I'll let them eat their cakes in a few minutes. Literally every 2 minutes the dd is running out asking me "are the cakes done yet? Can I cook?" while the other little girls are in her room playing. I kept gently telling her "in a minute". I get the adult microwave cake in the microwave, get the girls out to eat their cakes, and start the Italian Pasta Stir Fry. The girls are all over the kitchen, mothers are oblivious. I finish the demo, the girls are back in the bedroom playing, I'm thinking everything is going smoothly. Finish the show, pack up, and the mom is all over me "the girls really wanted to cook more! You should have had them help more". I mentioned that they seemed to want to play...all except her daughter. She snaps back "then she should have been allowed to help--the others could have stayed in her room". Um, HUH? Who's the mommy here? Shouldn't YOU have stepped in at that point? Then she gets all over me because they had met me at a boutique back in November and the dd LOVED the juicer and I was supposed to bring her one to the show as a gift. i honestly didn't remember that conversation. I told her I would be happy to add that to her order, my treat, and she tells me "well, ok,, but I am P**sed that you didn't hold up your end of the deal. She really wanted that juicer and she really wanted to help cook". My feeling was, um, it's YOUR home, YOUR daughter, perhaps you should have mentioned that and maybe even helped direct the kids a little better for me???

I've got a better idea....

Tell her you're now doing Interactive shows only!! Have her and her guests do the work!! This way you can only offer as many recipes as they want to do!! LOL

i would definitely put down my foot and let her know now you do one recipe per show, and that it is locked in 48 hours before the show. i would also set a firm time limit on closing the show.

if she wants to prepare other recipes she is on her own. perhpas that will drive her away and you won't have to abused by her anymore.

good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Sometimes 2 recipesbut that's the limit. When I do 2 recipes one is interactive and one is really quick, like the micro cake or the Bries from Fall/Winter 2007. But more than that and that's silly! I did one with 3 at christmas just because i wanted to do one, not because the host insisted. Get lots of rest and don't worry about it.

muffetts said:
Get lots of rest and don't worry about it.
Thank you I will.
I'm done with cooking shows for now. Cattys are going pretty well so far. I thought about just telling her for her show in May that while I was on "leave" I readjusted how I run my business and I only do one recipe. I got in this business so that I could spend time with my family and four hour long shows are not an option. Firm but honest.

buckeyefan08 said:
Thank you I will.
I'm done with cooking shows for now. Cattys are going pretty well so far. I thought about just telling her for her show in May that while I was on "leave" I readjusted how I run my business and I only do one recipe. I got in this business so that I could spend time with my family and four hour long shows are not an option. Firm but honest.

You really should switch to the new interactive shows. If you pick the right recipes you can be out of there in around 2 hours.

Well that show was supposed to be interactive but I ended up making the chili in her PH pot and only had three people (not even my hostess) that would come into the kitchen. It was an interactive show for those three people and almost half her sales came from those three plus the one lady that was in the kitchen booked two shows! One catalog show for Mar. and a cooking show for May. The interactive shows do work!!!

buckeyefan08 said:

Lisa, I think her evil twin sister lives near me!!! I call this woman a "serial consultant". She has done Party-Lite, now she is doing Creative Memories and Tastefully Simple. She thinks she is going to drop one of those and go to Home Interiors!!! YIKES!!!

My advice....as all others have said...put your foot down (if you don't put your foot down at least aim it good when it flies up!!!)
YOU set the criteria for your business. I used to do 2 recipes and now some of my repeat hosts are a little disappointed at first that I don't do two but I explained to this host that the parties are too long and guests really aren't interested in sitting that long. They would rather see one recipe and then be able to shop and socialize.

I randomly will pick up a whole chicken on my way to a party (if I have time and I think that the host will have a big enough microwave.) I get the chicken rinsed, take out the "stuff" and pat it dry. I then have the chicken ready to oil and spice up. Also, I put the spices, etc. in a prep bowl and with the lid on, I shake it to mix it. That sucker goes in the microwave and if by the time it comes out of the microwave, I or now WE have finished a recipe. That is the ONLY way I will do two recipes.

She'll either get over it or she will move on. Bottom line...are her parties worth it? I don't mean to sound harsh or that I encourage being rude to hosts, just that they need to know that they can not walk all over us. Luckily, these are the few and not the norm!

Now, go put those tooties up, put on a video for the kids and tell DH that you want to have reservations for dinner!!!:D I like his idea for recruiting!!

Thats the beauty of this business... you can run it how you want! You work with who you want! I wouldn't work with her again. If she wants to do another party tell her your booked and see if another consultant can take her (please warn them though).

Just had to say that the best and worst part of working in a people business is the people. Take that from a gal who loves everyone, I probably would just say I can't do her show, I'm booked solid all year...

1. What should I do if my hostess is difficult to work with?

Dealing with a difficult hostess can be challenging, but it's important to remain professional and communicate openly with her. Try to understand her concerns and address them calmly. If necessary, involve your manager for support.

2. How can I prevent this from happening again?

To avoid future conflicts with a difficult hostess, make sure to set clear expectations and boundaries from the start. This includes discussing the party details, sales goals, and any other important information. Be sure to follow up with her after the party to ensure everything went smoothly.

3. Can I cancel the party if the hostess is causing too much stress?

While it's not ideal to cancel a party, sometimes it may be necessary if the hostess is being unreasonable and causing excessive stress. Talk to your manager about the situation and come up with a plan to cancel the party in a professional manner.

4. Should I offer any incentives to the hostess to make things easier?

Offering incentives to a difficult hostess can be a great way to motivate her and improve the overall experience. Consider offering a discount on products or a free gift for reaching certain sales goals. Just make sure to set clear expectations so she doesn't take advantage of the situation.

5. How can I maintain a positive relationship with a difficult hostess?

Even if your hostess is difficult to deal with, it's important to maintain a positive and professional relationship. This not only reflects well on you as a consultant, but it also increases the chances of her booking another party in the future. Stay calm, listen to her concerns, and try to find a solution that works for both of you.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kittychef
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • Chef.Wanda
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • byrd1956