• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating Through Tonsillectomy with a 15 Year Old

In summary, my daughter had her tonsils and adnoids removed today. Well, her tonsils at least, the doctor came out and said she had no adnoids just scar tissue as though they had been removed earlier. They had not...and something else shrunk so her nasal cavity would be larger for breathing. All went well...other than the adnoid thing...and she is home safely in the recliner. Bless her heart. She is extremely cranky, does not want to take
Shawnna
Gold Member
My daughter...15...had her tonsils and adnoids removed today...well, her tonsils at least, the doctor came out and said she had no adnoids just scar tissue as though they had been removed earlier...they had not...and something else shrunk so her nasal cavity would be larger for breathing. (I can never remember what it is called...makes me feel like such a good mother.) Anyway, all went well...other than the adnoid thing...and she is home safely in the recliner. Bless her heart. She is extremely cranky, does not want to take her meds because "she doesn't like liquid medicine...it tastes nasty", she wants me to wait on her yet she wants us to leave her alone and let her sit in the recliner and watch tv. She hasn't had any real food to eat since 9 last night. She did drink 2 apple juices, ate a popsicle, an icecream, 2 bowls of sherbert and 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Says she is hungry but can only have liquids to "eat". DH is bring her home SlimFast late this evening...doctor says it has good nutrition.

Even after her pain med she still says her throat hurts...thats why she wants the icecream. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I know she is hurting, but I don't want her to eat too much icecream and get sick.

Thanks.

Look for sugar free popsicles. Way better than ice cream. And even if the medicine tastes nasty, it will help her. Tell her she can have a little ice cream or popsicle after she takes her medicine. At 15 she shouldn't be acting like that (sorry if that sounded harsh, I couldn't figure out any better way to say it).

Hormones mixed with misery...not a good mix. She'll get better. It may be more mental misery than pain. A protein shake type thing is probably good. I love some of the Bolthaus drinks. They have protein is some and great vitamins in all. Several are thicker too so it more like a smoothie. That might be special for her. Also let her know that you know it sucks, but it'll get better. Even if she doesn't act like it, simply knowing that you agree that it stinks and you love her, WILL help.Of course, as my 4 year old would say, pray for her pain to go away.Maybe get a movie that she's been wanting to see that could be distracting. I know that it's indulging, but I remember getting my tonsils out when I was a kid and I was so miserable I didn't even WANT ice cream! Crazy...I know!!

Thanks for the advice. Yes, she should act better at 15, but she has really had lots of problems since Christmas...I feel like I'm in an episode of House. First she had "girl" problems for 3 months straight...after a cancer scare from an ultrasound, and lots of blood tests it was determined that she has hypoactive thyroid (underactive thyroid). She has always been slow to learn at school and in the past 8 months she has gained 50 pounds. So then her doctor tested her for sleep apnea...not sure how thats spelled...and it was determined that her oxygen levels get down to 82 at night. So it has been an ordeal and the treatment is now...remove tonsils and adnoids, take thyroid medication and birth control pills. At one time she was having to take 3 bc pills every day until we got it under control. Thankfully now it is just one. But I am not happy to have my 15 year old taking bc pills.

So, yes she has been miserable and all those hormones do not help. Oh yea...and to top it all off, she wears a 40D and could go probably go up to DD. That doesn't seem like a problem to me...34B...but to her it is a disaster.

dump the medicine in a smoothie! :) frozen berries, vanilla yogurt, milk, and a banana and the med's and she'll be in heaven! :)

thanks Kacey...I guess I'm too tired to think straight.

Mom made me mashed potatos when i had mine out... it really satisfied that "real food" craving I had

You can never have too much ice cream!!

I had mine out 2 years ago at 26 and it was painful. I can totally relate. The problem with taking the medicine or "eating" anything is it hurts to swallowbpretty darn bad (and just to warn you my second day out was by far the worst). Let her know that from someone who completely understands the unlike of liquid meds, to just take them...I had liquid lortab and it really, really helped the pain (but tasted really, really nasty). I stayed with my parents when I had mine out and my mom made me carnation instant breakfast shakes. They have a decent amount of protein (she made them with milk) and she added some ice cream, so they were cold and felt really good on my throat. Egg drop soup was good to (if she likes it). The protein in the eggs helps with healing. After a few days I did the mashed potatoes and other "mushy" foods. Tell her to hang in there!! I was a few weeks out before feeling 100%. The end result was sooo worth it though :)

Seriously, about the ice cream. It has some good nutrition and if that's what she wants and it helps her throat I'd go for it. Unless she normally can get a tummie ache from too much ice cream. I didn't mean to make light of her situation. We all like to get waited on when we're sick and I think a lot of that goes a long way to making one feel better.

Good luck and I hope she feels better soon!

I appreciate all the advice. Yes, it is liquid lortab...and amoxacillon.

Julie I didn't think you were taking her situation lightly. I gave her a protein shake and she seems to be calm right now. She likes to be babied...who doesn't...and I am sure she is taking full advantage of the situation, but it will only last a short time.

She loves to eat and mashed potatoes are her favorite, so I'm sure tomorrow she will be wanting to try and eat something besides ice cream. The doctor said she could have mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and any mashed up veggie except green beans. So, I will be a good mommy tomorrow and make sure she gets some mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese. I am going to give her some more medicine and put her to bed.

thanks for the help.

Shawnna said:
thanks Kacey...I guess I'm too tired to think straight.
That's okay, I'm too neurotic to think straight! :) So I think crooked!;)

Didn't have tonsils taken out, but had all four impacted wisdom teeth removed four days before Christmas when I was a junior in high school... (brilliant planning on my mother's part)

Applesauce, KFC's mashed potatoes and egg nog... lots of egg nog... helped EVERYONE get through it!

You could also try pudding & jell-o or any flavor baby food. Make some slushies w/fruit juice (v8 splash) or make milkshakes w/ovaltine or some other "breakfast" drinks.

My 12 year old daughter had tonsils, adnoids removed and a sinus flush two months ago. Her ENT told her that she could eat anything that didn't have a crust or was crunchy. Of course, no chips. She ate a grilled cheese sandwich the night of her surgery and chicken nuggets with the outside removed so it was just the chicken. He told her he wanted her to drink nonstop day and night. That keeps the area that was removed from getting soo dry and when the scabs start coming off it won't be soo painful. He also said he wanted her talking the next day because that keeps everything moving and would keep her from getting the pain in her ears when the scabs start drawing the skin together.
It worked, we never knew when her scabs came off. I had to look after 2 weeks to see if they were still in there.
She only had the day after that was painful. We gave her the pain med. on time around the clock. Her dr. wanted her to take it for 4 days but she backed off after the 3rd day.

A fruit shake---yogurt, ice, and whatever fruit she likes. Blend in blender.

Thanks again for all your advice. She is better this morning. She slept in the recliner last night...suppose to stay propped up. At 6 this morning she got in the floor and propped herself up...I am letting her sleep where she wants. She did have a nose bleed between 6 and 10...she was asleep again. I was asleep too...I am exhausted and the phone keeps ringing. She woke up at 11 and wanted chocolate gravy. After she ate she took her medicine without fussing...just an ugly look on her face. She is drinking juice.

Her daddy brought her Carnation Instant Breakfast, jello, malt-o-meal and juice when he came home last night.

Our biggest problem today seems to be that the water is turned off for repairs and will be off tomorrow too. They are so sweet to inform you of these things...NOT. So, no bath for her today...maybe they will turn it back on this evening so people can take a bath.

Thanks again for your help.

1. What are some recommended tools for preparing soft foods after a tonsillectomy?

Some recommended tools for preparing soft foods after a tonsillectomy include a blender, food processor, and an immersion blender. These tools can help make smooth and easy-to-swallow meals for your 15-year-old.

2. How can I make sure my 15-year-old stays hydrated after their tonsillectomy?

It's important to encourage your 15-year-old to drink plenty of fluids after their tonsillectomy. You can try offering them cold drinks, such as water or juice, and using a straw to make it easier to sip. You can also try giving them ice chips to suck on to help with hydration.

3. What are some tips for easing the pain and discomfort after a tonsillectomy?

Some tips for easing pain and discomfort after a tonsillectomy include using ice packs on the neck, taking pain medication as prescribed by your doctor, and avoiding rough or spicy foods. You can also try using a humidifier in your 15-year-old's room to help keep their throat moist.

4. How long does the recovery process typically take for a 15-year-old after a tonsillectomy?

The recovery process for a tonsillectomy can vary for each individual, but for most 15-year-olds, it takes about 1-2 weeks for the throat to fully heal. During this time, it's important to follow your doctor's instructions and take it easy to allow for proper healing.

5. Are there any specific foods that should be avoided after a tonsillectomy?

It's best to avoid rough or hard foods that can irritate the throat and cause discomfort after a tonsillectomy. Some examples include chips, nuts, and spicy foods. It's also important to avoid dairy products, as they can increase mucus production and make swallowing more difficult.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Crystal Patton
  • ChefJoyJ
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Ann F
Replies
Views
Ish