• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating Chicken Pox with a 3.5 Year Old

In summary, both of the parents' daughters got chickenpox, but their daughters' cases were milder than their sons' cases. The daughters painted each other's spots to make them feel better.
yummybytes
Silver Member
My 3.5 year old daughter has chikcen pox :/ Poor little thing. She's not complaining at all about it but this is not going to be fun for her.

I have a 16 month old, too. I hope he dosent get it :(

Both have had their first round of vaccination, but the doctor said they don't get the seocnd round until they are ready to start school. Until then I guess they have a good chance of getting it, but it should be milder on the whole.

So -- for now, Princess Pookie is livin' it up and working mom for every extra cookie and sticker she can. I even made her cinnamon sprinkle cinnamon rolls today.

What can I say, I'm a sucker... :)

I am so sorry your daughter got chicken pox sometimes I just wish my kids got them before thier immunizations cause then you dont really need to worry about all the booster shots.

Well, at least she's a trooper! I was just thinking the other day about my 3.5 year old and when he would get the chicken pox. I hope he will do just as well! Good luck! Oh and your not a sucker- your a mom!:p

Hey, Jenn...I had chicken pox like 28 years ago and I'm still suffering. Will you pwetty pwease make me some cinnamon spwinkle cinnamon wolls?

BTW--You're no sucker! You're a mama!

DS had chicken pox last year at 2 yrs old......it was a mild case (because of the 1st vaccination) and it didn't seem to bother him much. The hardest part (for both of us) was not being able to go anywhere while he was contagious!

BTW - he got his from the neighbor girl who came over to play with him.....and then broke out in the CP the next day!

I have no idea where her's came from, but while I was at conference her daddy took her all sorts of public play places and it was likely from there. He's not a sanitizing freak like I am either so -- take that for what it's worth. I'm sure she would have gotten them anyway.

I'm thinking this might be a blessing in disguise -- this way she won't be at any risk of getting them when she goes to school and have to miss school at that point. A couple days of seclusion might stink for now, but it's only a few days in the end.

And ... SURE Danielle!! I'd love to make you some cinniminni rolls to help you cope with that 28 year long burden. :) Come on over!

When my kids had them we bought the inexpensive water color paintbrushes and let them dip them in the pink stuff (is it calamine lotion) & paint each other.
My Dr. told us not to let them have a bath (& since they weren't going anywhere or doing anything it was ok) for 5 days. None of the 3 have a single scar.

I'm on my way!

Oh the good ole days of chicken pox - remember the big hype over Y2K? On New Year's Eve 1999 - my 5 year old son woke up with the chicken pox - the very next day Happy New Year - my 2 1/2 year old son woke up with it as well. They had caught it at my older one's preschool right before Christmas break had begun. So, of course, I took pictures of them getting oatmeal baths and with calamine lotion all over - they did fine with it - no complications - 3 weeks later - (probably the last day of incubation - my poor sister who was 26 at the time came down with chicken pox as well) I have one child (my daughter who was born in 2001 - we only just got her the vaccine last year before kindergarten) - luckily it doesn't seem to go around as much and the cases seem milder (my boys had never had the vaccines because they were still relatively new).

Good luck - at least it doesn't last forever!

Teresa Lynn said:
When my kids had them we bought the inexpensive water color paintbrushes and let them dip them in the pink stuff (is it calamine lotion) & paint each other.
That is SO cute!! I will have to remember that idea if my kids ever get them.

That is a great idea for her to paint her spots. Perfect combination for her really since she tells me she's going to be a doctor AND a painter. :)

1. What are the best ways to alleviate the discomfort of chicken pox for a 3.5 year old?

There are a few ways to help ease the discomfort of chicken pox for a young child. First, try giving them a lukewarm bath with oatmeal or baking soda added to the water. This can help soothe the itching. You can also use calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream on any particularly itchy spots. Keeping your child's nails trimmed can also prevent them from scratching and causing more discomfort.

2. How can I prevent my 3.5 year old from spreading chicken pox to others?

The best way to prevent the spread of chicken pox is to keep your child away from others until all of their blisters have crusted over. This usually takes about a week. Make sure to wash your child's hands frequently and avoid sharing personal items such as towels or toys. It's also important to let anyone who has been in contact with your child know that they have chicken pox, so they can take necessary precautions.

3. Should I be giving my 3.5 year old any specific foods or drinks while they have chicken pox?

It's important to make sure your child stays hydrated while they have chicken pox, so be sure to offer them plenty of fluids. Foods that are easy to swallow and won't irritate any sores in their mouth are also good choices. You can also try giving them foods high in vitamin C to help boost their immune system.

4. Can my 3.5 year old still go to daycare or school with chicken pox?

No, it's important to keep your child at home until their blisters have crusted over. Not only can they spread the virus to others, but their symptoms may also become worse if they are around other children who are sick.

5. Is there anything I can do to prevent my 3.5 year old from getting chicken pox again in the future?

If your child has already had chicken pox, they are unlikely to get it again. However, it is possible for the virus to reactivate and cause shingles in the future. The best way to prevent this is by making sure your child receives the chicken pox vaccine, which is typically given at 12-15 months and then again at 4-6 years old.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• peichef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • Shawnna
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Shawnna
Replies