• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Chicken Pox!! I Need a Good Laugh Right Now!!

In summary, the conversation revolves around a mother's hectic week and her plans to get things done. However, her day takes a turn when one of her twins wakes up with a fever and the other has a rash that turns out to be chicken pox. The mother seeks advice and words of encouragement from others who have gone through a similar experience. Some suggest using calamine lotion and giving the children distractions, while others share their own experiences with chicken pox. The conversation ends with a funny video shared by one of the participants.
peichef
God has a great sense of humour, I guess....

So after a CRAZY 2 weeks, basically volunteering at my kids' school full-time, 4 Christmas concerts, etc, etc, today was supposed to be my day to get things done (errands, house work, maybe some Christmas shopping).

Go to wake my twins for school. #1 wakes up, very feverish (103 F)& disoriented. Immediately pukes 2 times. #2 sits up " I'm so itchy", scracthing frantically.

So after dealing with #1 & gettinghim back to bed I feed #2 & DD breakfast. Fter breakfast I check #2 for a rash. (wanted ti give his skin time to recoup after the wicked scratching he was doing earlier). Some of his welts look like hives, other are round dots -- just as I remembered my own chicken pox 29 yrs ago.
So #2 doesn't seems sick & I'm debating whether or not to send him to school. When I went to the office to let them know #1 isn't going to be there today, I ask what they want me to do with #2. The principal comes over & looks at DS's back & says "chicken pox".
Don't know whether to laugh or cry. Plus DSs are good friends with a little girl whose mom is preggers with her 4th. She can't remember if she had chicken pox as a child.

Anyway, now #1 won't go near #2 for fear of getting his rash -- which he'll likely have tomorrow regardless.
AND YES.... they were vaccinated.

Words of encouragement, advice appreciated. Also anything that would give me a good laugh

Oh Charity - I feel for you - been there! My two sons had the chicken pox back in 1999 - one awoke on New Year's Eve with them and the other got them the next day - New Year's Day 2000. I always say Y2K was nothing - they were 2 1/2 and 5 at the time. They actually were troopers and weren't too bothered by them. Give them oatmeal baths to relieve the itching and calamine lotion applied to the pox afterwards. They never had the vaccine since it was still relatively new back then. We had a really long Christmas break that year - I don't think they left the house for another 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. You have to make sure all the pox have erupted and scabbed in order for them not to be contagious. My sister ended up getting them about 3 weeks later and she was in her 20's then.

I still laugh at the pictures I took of them in the tub that I scrapbooked later on! It was an inconvenience and luckily they didn't have any major problems with them.

Last edited:
Yuck! DS got them after being vaccinated too. It was a mild case though - I've heard that if they do get them after the vaccine, it's almost always milder, so hopefully that is the case for your kiddos too!

Calamine lotion is a blessing from above! This also may be a good time to give them a new DVD they've been wanting - it will keep their minds off from the itching.:D

The bright spot in this is that at least it will all be over before Christmas!

Rescue remedy creme works well also.

thanks, guys. I'll have to get DH to pick up calamine lotion for them on his way home tonight.

OK, so you wanted a laugh... :)

http://adage.com/brightcove/single.php?bcpid=1370868150&bctid=3130509001

It's about 5 mins, but I thought it was hilarious! :)

I do hope that they get a mild case though, like Becky said. My DD was exposed to chicken pox when she was 5 months old, it was a few days before we were moving from MI to OH. DH had already left because his job started before our new house was ready, so I had to do the last part on my own and then drive to OH with DD. My friend and her 2 year old had come from Ontario to see us before our move and keep me company. The day after they arrived the 2 year old came down with Chicken pox. I thought for sure my DD would get it, but miraculously she didn't. I was so thankful! It was hard enough moving without a crabby baby!

My boys were 18 months apart, and one got the chicken pox in school, and 2 weeks later the one at home got them. Calamine lotion was a life saver (this was about 20 years ago and I still remember the fun!

AnnieBee said:
OK, so you wanted a laugh... :)

http://adage.com/brightcove/single.php?bcpid=1370868150&bctid=3130509001It's about 5 mins, but I thought it was hilarious! :)

I do hope that they get a mild case though, like Becky said. My DD was exposed to chicken pox when she was 5 months old, it was a few days before we were moving from MI to OH. DH had already left because his job started before our new house was ready, so I had to do the last part on my own and then drive to OH with DD. My friend and her 2 year old had come from Ontario to see us before our move and keep me company. The day after they arrived the 2 year old came down with Chicken pox. I thought for sure my DD would get it, but miraculously she didn't. I was so thankful! It was hard enough moving without a crabby baby!

thanks, Annabel. That was great. i think I'll forward it to DH, though his presents are pretty good, lately.

Oh that sucks! But, just think, you're getting it over with. Hopefully, it won't last long.

To cheer you up, I have a beautiful poem that someone sent me today.

Winter
by Abigail Elizabeth McIntyre

"SHIT, It's Cold!"

The End

PChefPEI said:
Oh that sucks! But, just think, you're getting it over with. Hopefully, it won't last long.

Winter

"SHIT, It's Cold!"

The End

Don't know if it cheered up Charity - but it sure made me laugh!:D

PChefPEI said:

Winter

"SHIT, It's Cold!"

The End

ROFLMAO!!! My DH will love this one!

i was watching the news this morning & a bunch of schools in seattle are having chicken pox outbreaks. if kids arent vaccinated by monday, they arent allowed to come to school until they have their vaccination form in hand. :eek:

its been 15 years since i had chicken pox & ive got a lovely scar in between my eyes as a reminder haha. for your sake, i hope your DD has already had them since it seems like your other twin might have them soon...

DD hasn't had the pox yet. I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I figure #1 boy (sick but not welts) will have spots tomorrow.
They've all been vaccinated, but apparenlty they still get the virus, just a milder version.

The one without the spots could still be having them but just having the fever and upset tummy from them....My nephew brought them home to my girls and exactly 7 days they both broke out, It was 15 years ago but will never forget them...they had them everywhere...Todays milder cases sounds great!!!!!! Not sure about the vacine deal sounds like it is not perfected yet, and if I had a girl I would worry about they later effects when carry thier own kids and maybe getting them....

Well when my brother and I had chicken pox it was the last day of school!! Can you imagine?? My brother I remember had them so bad on his feet and could not walk! I had them all over and I remember hearing my mother say "Don't pick it you'll have a scar" Ohhh and oatmeal baths, ick! Thank goodness its a once in a lifetime experience!

When I was in the 4th grade, I went to the hospital to have my tonsils out. They sent me home with a fever, and a few days later I got the chicken pox.

So, a few weeks later when I went back to the hospital again to get my tonsils out, guess who popped out with the chicken pox?

Yep, all three of my brothers and sisters.

And my dad was out of town on business. Three kids under 7 with the chicken pox, one in the hospital with her tonsils out, and no husband in sight.

She did what all good mom's would do....called her mom.

Good luck with the twins!

Look on the bright side Charity...the chicken pox could have appeared on Dec 22 (I'l be 50 :D that day!!) ...just in time for Christmas! This way, it will be over by then for you!

Chicken pox vaccine wasn't around when my kiddos were younger. Ryan got it twice, thanks to Robyn...she came home from preschool with it. The second time around for Ryan was REALLY bad.

Somewhere I've got pictures from when I was little, and all 3 of us girls got Chicken Pox at the same time, we've got spots and itched all over. Ugh!!

My neice and nephew got them really really bad and nephew even got them in his mouth, he was a mess poor little tyke.

I don't know whether to say Praise God or not, but so far nothing for my girls, but they've all had the vaccine, as our middle DD has kidney disease and they've told us to try and prevent everything, I've got to run everyone for flu shots too, waiting for health office to have them back in stock.

Hope things go good with the twins. My sister swore by the Aveeno baths and Aveeno lotion.

HTH,

Lisa

It will get better! My first 3 got the chicken pox (there wasn't a shot back then) DD#2 brought it home and 3 weeks later DD#1 and DS#3 got it - I didn't have the other 2 kids yet and DS#3 was only 17 months. I did look around for ages for the other 2 kids to get the chicken pox - figured I wouldn't have to worry about the shot and its aftermaths - didn't find anyone! So 2 of mine never got them yet.

My kids were little 5 and under when they got theirs- oatmeal baths and lots of lotion - they used to take paint brushes and paint eachothers pox -

It will get better - lots of fluids and baths!

Oh no!
But, at least you guys should be over it by Christmas!
I have a great pic of my now-10-yr-old when he was almost 2 and had chicken pox - I guess all us moms like to take pictures of it huh? LOL
Get well soon guys!!

What are the symptoms of chicken pox?

The most common symptoms of chicken pox include a rash of itchy, blister-like lesions, fever, headache, loss of appetite, and fatigue.

How is chicken pox spread?

Chicken pox is highly contagious and can be spread through direct contact with the rash or fluids from the blisters, as well as through the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

Can adults get chicken pox?

Yes, adults can get chicken pox if they have never had it before or been vaccinated against it. However, it is more common in children.

What is the best way to treat chicken pox?

There is no specific treatment for chicken pox, but you can ease symptoms by taking over-the-counter pain relievers, using calamine lotion or oatmeal baths to soothe the itch, and keeping the skin clean and dry.

How long does it take to recover from chicken pox?

The rash and other symptoms of chicken pox usually last for about 10-14 days. However, the virus can remain in the body and cause a condition called shingles later in life.

Back