• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Helping Your Daughter with Weight Issues: Tips and Advice for Parents

even if they are taking their pills. Weight loss will happen gradually over time as the thyroid medication works its way out of the body. I am not familiar with diet pills, but it is something to consider.Shawnna
Shawnna
Gold Member
I could sure use your help. My daughter is about to turn 16. She is 5'2" and weighs almost 160#s. The most she should weigh for her height is about 120. She gained a lot of weight last spring and was having "girl" problems. I took her to my OBGYN and she did an ultrasound and some blood tests. Her tests showed that she has hypothyroidism...underactive thyroid. So, she gave her a thyroid pill and birth control pills to help with the "girl" stuff. Well, we know that hypothyroidism can cause excessive bleeding, weight gain, and even keep you from growing taller. At that time she weighed 150 pounds and the doctor told her she needed to loose 30 pounds. We thought the thyroid pill would help that, but also know that the bc pill can cause weight gain, so now we are looking at 160 pounds. She doesn't eat a lot. She doesn't drink a lot of pop or eat a lot of junk food. But, she also doesn't do a lot physical activity. She says she always feels bad and that her knees and back hurt.

I let her join curves for awhile, but with her school activities and my work schedule we couldn't stay with it. I don't have and have never had a problem with my weight. I am 5'2" and weigh 110 pounds. So, I am at a loss as to what else to do for her. She loves to dance and actually does do that, but it hasn't helped her any. Prom time was aweful last year because we couldn't find a dress that didn't show everything...she also wears a 40D bra. Prom time is coming up again in 3 months and I am at the point of giving up. I know she doesn't like her size. She has asked about taking diet pills, but I don't want to put a 15 year old girl on diet pills. And, if she doesn't over-eat, what good would that do anyway.

So, I would appreciate any help any of you can give me.

thanks,

Shawnna

Have you met with a nutritionist or doctor about this? If her body is adjusting to all sorts of hormones, maybe things are just crazy on her body right now. There's all sorts of advice that we all could give you, but I would probably go with your daughter to see someone. They will know her health history and be able to give you advice to run with.

She does see our doctor every few months to retest her thyroid. The last time he lowered her mgs on her pill...but the OBGYN raised the mgs on her bc pill. The doctor says her thyroid is currently where it needs to be as long as she takes her pills. But, he also tells her she has to work twice as hard as "normal" people to keep her weight in check because of the thyroid condition. Other than that, we got no advice except to lose weight. She sees the OBGYN again next month.

I was just hoping someone had a good diet program recommendation. She normally skips breakfast...except for a bottle of juice...because she says she doesn't feel good and it takes her forever to get ready for school. She eats lunch at school...if she bothers to eat...but usually doesn't eat a whole meal because she says the food is gross. I sent her lunch for awhile, but she didn't eat it either. When she gets home from school she is hungry and will eat a sandwich or something quick. She will usually eat supper. She seems to drink quite a bit of water.

Like I said before, I have never had a weight problem and can eat whatever I want and not worry about it. The only time I have ever weighed more than 115...other than my 3 pregnancies...was my freshman year of college.

I would say a nutritionist, or read a book like YOU: on a diet. It is more of a lifestyle guide than a quick fix diet plan.
Part of the problem may be that she isn't eating enough? If your body isn't getting the fat/calories it needs, it will store it all. I'm saying to feed her junk food but maybe add some more fruits and veggies into her diet so she can get enough calories and nutrients. I hope you can find something to help her! Kids that age can be so mean.

I will tell you that from the thyroid point of view it takes several months for a person to notice a difference in how they "feel" once the medication is correctly prescribed. I recently had my dosage increased and have been taking the increased medication for about two-three weeks now, but am actually feeling worse because the effects of having too low a dose for a while are still lingering. It usualy takes about two-three months for me to notice I am feeling better - that is as far as the aches and pains in my joints and back. As for aching during exercise - that could be thyroid, but most likely it is simply that it is difficult to carry around extra weight and extra movement increases that pressure. Basically you just have to do it. Believe me I know. But I do believe having a nutritionist may be a great start. And if you are specifically looking for a diet "program" I would recommend weight watchers. You can eat real food, not simply their diet foods (those are options but not necessary), and they try to help people get to the root of their problems with food and weight in a healthy way. The best thing to do would be try it for a month and see what you both think of it.

I have a thyroid condition. I can relate to most of what you said (except for the 5' 2" part). I have always hated to exercise & have had pain as well. The only exercise that I enjoy & which doesn't cause pain (except when I exercise too much because it's fun) is Wii Fit! Since she enjoys dancing maybe Dance Dance Revolution would be a good exercise option. Good luck.

Stampaholic1961 said:
I have a thyroid condition. I can relate to most of what you said (except for the 5' 2" part). I have always hated to exercise & have had pain as well. The only exercise that I enjoy & which doesn't cause pain (except when I exercise too much because it's fun) is Wii Fit! Since she enjoys dancing maybe Dance Dance Revolution would be a good exercise option. Good luck.

I got the Wii Fit to get my butt off the couch and do a regimented 30-45 minute routine every day. It has worked to get me moving, and helped to make me feel better. I will say, though, I'm pretty emotionally tough when it comes to how big I am (I'm a 14 when I'm not retaining water, a 16 when I am), or how heavy I am (180 give or take).

The eating thing is also what did it for me. I realized that after I had my baby, I kept forgetting to eat. It wasn't that I was starving myself on purpose, but if I had one full meal by the end of the day, I was sitting pretty. I was over 200 pounds seven months ago, and just by eating what most nutritionists say is a healthy amount, I lost that first 20 pounds. It started my metabolism again. My body was storing all that as fat to keep me alive, and I was trying to work it off.

I'd say to take her to a nutritionist and have a healthy diet worked out for her. Then, go over why you shouldn't skip out on breakfast (the body needs all that food to get going during the morning time... even if it's toast with peanut butter on it... the carbs and protein will do her some good.). After that, start teaching her that we are all different sizes. Changing her mind on what is beautiful is a big plus when it comes to weight loss. My husband will quickly tell anybody that Paris Hilton and Jennifer Aniston need to sit at an all you can eat buffet and eat. Remind her that Marilyn Monroe was a healthy size 12 in her day, and she was considered a goddess in the mind of most men!

It is MUCH harder for people with Thyroid problems to lose weight. It is going to take her 10x longer to lose the weight that a normal person would...

You might want to get a couple of books ... I have "Living with Hypothyroidism" and "The Thyroid Diet" ... these might help you understand more about the condition and how to handle it.

I'm not one to talk right now - I'm back at my high end (after gaining a little every year for the last 6 years).

But I can tell you what worked for me (and I plan to do it again as soon as my foot heals).

I didn't eat breakfast and very little lunch. I drank diet coke but just 1 or 2 a day at most. I would eat something around 3 and then dinner. Other than the thyroid issue I sound a lot like your daughter.

Then I joined WW. That lasted for about a month but I did lose about 6 poinds so I was moving to the right track by making better choices (actually, smaller portions). Then I joined TOPS. That group is totally member run and I think it gave me the same things WW did but for far less money. I started eating breakfast (often even just a banana), lunch and dinner - even a mid afternoon snack some days. I wrote everything I ate down and counted the glasses of water that I drank. I also walked every day. I have knee problems and they really bother me when I'm over weight so walking was the best exercise I could do for me. We logged all those things and had to show it all to someone else (accountability). We also got charms for succeeding - I'm a perk person. All that helped me loose! A lot of things have happened in my life that I can use for excuses for the spiral back up in weight and some of it is health related but it is my responsibility.

It's not an over night thing and it is a life change not a diet. Tiny goals get you there. Have her work toward 2 pounds a week, 8 pounds a month...

1. Eat a balanced diet and WATCH portion size - 3-5 small meals per day
2. Write everything (EVERYTHING) you eat down somewhere that others can see it
3. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and cut out all sodas, even diet
4. Weigh yourself regularly - it feels good to even see 1/2 pound less but if it's higher use that to make you more determined that day
5. Walk every day - I planned on 30 minutes every day
6. It's okay to treat yourself ONCE IN A WHILE with a piece of chocolate or cake or ice cream or whatever your favorite thing is but you can treat yourself with a small amount of it. Don't be tempted by that favorite cake and feel that you have to eat a lot. A small slice is more satisfying than a large - you got the treat and you don't have the guilt. You can always have it again sometime - I bet that that treat will be available some other time in your life.

So, that's my advice. It works. Now I will do this with you! The chart goes on the frig today. I can't walk yet but as soon as I can, that's added too. Do it with someone and I am happy to be that someone.

I hate to heap another book on you - but the best book I have read regarding Hypothyroidism (and her other issues as well) is this one:

Ultra-Metabolism by Dr. Mark Hyman

I have Hypothroidism, plus other adrenal issues, brought on by a long undiagnosed bout with Lyme's Disease. This book was eye opening, and I feel better than I have in years. MOST Dr's don't address the different issues with hypothyroidism, and one thyroid pill isn't going to do the trick for everyone. It didn't for me. Find a Dr who will consider Armour Thyroid (a natural thyroid med.).

It IS harder for people with thyroidism to lose weight than others but don't let her use it as an excuse. We all have our excuses. So maybe she CAN'T lose 2 pounds a week or 8 a month but if she strictly followes good dietary rules and exercises religiously she CAN succeed. She has to want it and not be discouraged. I think that a lot of us use the excuses we're dealt as a wheelchair when it should be just a crutch - "I'm doing it all 'right' and it's going too slow because I have ..." is a lot better than "I can't because I have ..." (That's what I've been doing in the last year or two so I know what I'm saying.)

See a nutritionist and get a plan that works for people with her particular problem.

I can't comment on the thyroid any more than those here who have experience with it, but a few things stand out for me.Skipping breakfast and not feeling well. Chances are that may be from the BC pill and current diet. Talk to the doctor about that. See if she can take some Prilosec or something with the other meds for a few weeks to settle the stomach issues and get her eating breakfast.She'll lose weight by eating breakfast and eating less in the evening. Consistent smaller meals will help her.I'd also talk further to the doctors about the BC pills and what that is really doing. I was given them for a few months to help "female problems" and they reeked havoc on my body!!!! They made me feel miserable. They may be causing some of the issues.Depending on her issues there, you may have other alternatives...Also, after dinner, her rule should be to take a walk or do her exercise then. Sitting down in the evening after a meal is what causes most weight gain (that and snacking before bed). The key is to eat then do something to get your body to process that food.Some other recommendations:
1. Does she swim? That is good exercise without hurting joints as much.
2. Have you ever taken her to a chiropractor? They can help with the back and knee issues and sometimes your back being out causes digestive and female issues too.

If you are looking for a "diet" program, the only one I would recommend, especially at her age would be Weight Watchers. I am a big fan, because it is not a DIET. DIETS don't work, but weight watchers is a lifestyle change, you eat real food, and there is a lot of awareness. Based on the points values of foods, you really learn what is GOOD and BAD for you. I did WW after all three of my children and even though I don't do meetings anymore, I learned so much that I still apply today.
As for exercise, she is not going to "feel better", until she looses some weight, but that isn't going to happen until she is exercising consistantly. My only thought would be to try to make it fun, even though you don't have weight problem you will have to be her support system. We don't need a weight problem to need to exercise. Lead my example, and MAKE TIME for it. I bet you will both feel better in the long run.
Good luck, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Try saying, "Hey Sweetie, let's go for a walk." No pressure to join you, no talk of diets and weight unless she brings it up. Leave out a tray of healthy snack foods for her to nosh on, mostly veggies, some whole grain bread or crackers and something protein. Not much fruit. Peanut butter, white bean hummus, regular hummus, hard boiled eggs. Get her off the juice in the morning, it is not filling and will bring about a crash later. For quick meals make a smoothie with yogurt in it and frozen fruit, with a little OJ or grapefruit juice or mango to thin it, takes a few moment to put it together and she can drink it on the way to school. You can add some frozen spinach chopped fine for extra nutrition.Her body will hurt during exercise until she loses some weight, so start off with a walk before a meal, and drink water. Robin

I have had a hard time with my weight ever since I have had kids. My mother had a problem with her thyroid so I get mine checked regularly but I have a hard time losing weight. I know what she feels after eating breakfast. I have talked with my doctor and he said if possible to eat a mid morning snack and then lunch and dinner but I have always been the way with eating breakfast it would make me sick weather it was a bowl of cereal or even bigger then that and it got worse after I had kids. So I don't do it and mid-morning I will have a yogart and toast. But I know how she feels with her weight I weigh the most I have ever 205 and most people and my doctor don't think I look like it except in my face so I have been trying hard but when I hurt my leg this summer it hasn't made it easy for me to exercise but hubby ou got me a treadclimber and I love it. I am not for sure if you daughter has this problem either but when I diet and exercise I actually lose inches before weight which is a good thing and bad thing sometimes. I would go and talk with her doctor about yes we know she needs to loose weight but it would be great to get some help from you guys more then just telling her. I will keep her in my thoughts. I would try the wii fit if she likes to dance like someone mentioned it.

ChefBeckyD said:
Find a Dr who will consider Armour Thyroid (a natural thyroid med.).

I was just about to say the same thing!

My MIL has this problem and was taking thyroid meds for years and she gained a whole bunch of weight. Then she started watching what she ate and began eating a bunch of all natural and organic stuff. She finally found a dr. who started her on a all natural thyroid med ( I don't know the name but it could be Armour) and she has been doing great with it. She has lost a ton of weight and feels much better about what she is putting in her body.

Even thought what she is taking is all natural, it is still a prescribed med, so you will have to find a dr. that will prescribe it for you.

thanks for all the advice. She did walk when the weather was nice...and she walked with a friend...but it was really more of a gab session with her friend than exercise. They would walk 2-3 miles but it would take them forever.

I am going to pick up a couple of these books and I think I will go talk to my chiropracter...he has a gym...which I won't be able to use because of our time issues, but maybe he can help her.

Her girl problem was constant bleeding for 2 months and then after we put her on the bc pill it went to every 2 weeks...gradually...and after she upped the dosage it is pretty normal now. But the dr wants her to stay on them. I considered taking her off but was afraid it would mess her all up and we would have to start over. I think there is a WW in the next town and maybe a tops about 45 miles away. I will check those out too.

Thanks again.

Shawnna said:
thanks for all the advice. She did walk when the weather was nice...and she walked with a friend...but it was really more of a gab session with her friend than exercise. They would walk 2-3 miles but it would take them forever.

2-3 miles at a snails pace is still 2-3 miles of exercise.

what about getting a treadmill & put it where there is a tv? i know that helps me & my mom too. we both have tv's near our treadmills because it makes a half hour on the treadmill so much easier when you are focusing on something other than the minutes passing by.

elizabethfox said:
I was just about to say the same thing!

My MIL has this problem and was taking thyroid meds for years and she gained a whole bunch of weight. Then she started watching what she ate and began eating a bunch of all natural and organic stuff. She finally found a dr. who started her on a all natural thyroid med ( I don't know the name but it could be Armour) and she has been doing great with it. She has lost a ton of weight and feels much better about what she is putting in her body.

Even thought what she is taking is all natural, it is still a prescribed med, so you will have to find a dr. that will prescribe it for you.

Yes - it is still Thyroid medication - it's just derived from natural sources, instead of being chemically produced. All chemical thyroid meds only address one part of the thyroid issue but the Armour Thyroid addresses T3, T4, and TSH levels.

The problem is often finding an MD who will prescribe it. Not because it isn't effective, but because its very effective, and it isn't from a major distributor(pusher:grumpy:). So, the MD's don't get paid as much for prescribing it.

I was a teenager in her same situation... now I am an adult struggling with weight and infertility... maybe this will help your daughter...During my teen years, I was overweight and nothing that I would do would help me lose weight... I tried the fad diets, WW, Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, weight loss pills and even went as far as eating less than 1000 calories(supervised) but nothing worked...I was even very active in sports so working out or excercise was happening daily...
I was never "regular" with girl issues and just thought it was something a teenager, or young adult dealt with. My Dr put me on birth control which helped the girl issues but contributed with the weight gain... As I got older, my girl issues were fine because of the BC but the weight never went away...I am 37 an still dealing with it.Not until later in life, I was 35, when my husband and started trying to get pregnant and for the life of us we could not, nothing was not working, and no one had any answers. I could not handle the frustration any longer, so after searching various symptoms online, I mentioned to my Dr that I might have something called PCOS... It was a light bulb moment for her, we did the blood work that afternoon and a week or so later, I was diagnosed with PCOS. Which is Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome.
This is a hormonal, issue where your body does not know how to metabolize insulin therefore converting it to sugar causing weight gain and it is a precursor to diabetes if you do not take care of yourself.PCOS leads to irregular periods and other various issues when you get older...and it makes it nearly impossible to get pregnant, which is what we are dealing with now... I wish they would have diagnosed it sooner...
just to rule it out, you might want to get her levels checked... it will save her some heartache in the long run...
FYI: she needs to be off the BC for at least 3 months so her levels can get back to her "normal" state... Good luck and I will keep her in my prayers...

I have not read all the responses and this is comming from someone that has struggled with weight since age 14.

Do not focus on the pounds or a "DIET" These are the worst things you can do in my opinion.

Find something she likes to do or a group of kids outside of school things she can get involved with. Volunteering may be good. There is a new kind of scouting arround here called Venturing. It is Co Ed and thru the Boy scouts. It may be an option as well.

Try to help her learn to find the things she likes to do and focus on living healthy as a family. Maybee learn more about nutrition yourself. Different people react differently to foods. It is possible for you or other family members to not have a weight problem but depending on what you are eating your daughter may have issues with the food. I grew up on meat and potatoes. None of my family has a weight issue but I do.

I wish growing up my family had focused more on helping me be a strong confident individual than making me skinny...

Shawnna said:
Her girl problem was constant bleeding for 2 months and then after we put her on the bc pill it went to every 2 weeks...gradually...and after she upped the dosage it is pretty normal now. But the dr wants her to stay on them. I considered taking her off but was afraid it would mess her all up and we would have to start over. I think there is a WW in the next town and maybe a tops about 45 miles away. I will check those out too.

Thanks again.

If she was bleeding this much she could have some anemia as well.. Hence low energe and motivation. Is she on an iron supliment.

Also for food... If she does not like something healthy you have prepared search together for another way to prepare it... Sometimes it is all in how it is served...

I think you are doing a great thing asking advice and learning all you can about this for your daughter!

Can't give any advise on the medical part, but I'm also 5' 2" and didn't have a weight problem until I had my 2nd child. I'm now pressing 190. I know--you thought 160 was bad. Not to say that being over weight is good---but at some point you have to be comfortable with who you are & realize what things are or are not in your control. The best thing you can do for her is let her know that she is accepted the way she is and loved.

As far as diets. I've done the ww thing too. I found once I got off "the program" I'd gain even more back than what I started out at. Mind you the first time I joined I was 130---oh, to be that "fat" again. LOL I did the dr. phil diet in between my kids & was very successful with it. I could eat pretty much normal stuff & lost weight consistantly---now if I could just find the motivation to do it again.

Agree with everyone else---the speciality dr. should have some kind of advise. I'm sure they deal with the same issues for other people with thyriod problems.

Best wishes!

I have been on thyroid medication since I was 11 years old. I still consistently struggle with my weight. During my high school years I bought myself some exercise videos and motivated myself...Went from a size 18 to a 13-14...I am 26 now and am struggling worse than ever. I too have difficulty eating in the morning but am slowly training myself. I have trained myself through my attempt to follow the weight watchers program. We went through the pain and agony of prom dress shopping during the time that I was really worried about showing any part of my arms...I wish I felt then about myself as I do now.

The first time I ever felt confident about myself and who I am was after my foreign exchange program when I had time to learn who I really was.

My mom is still bothered by my weight and I know that--I do my best to exercise and eat right. I now have a calendar on my wall with my daily weight and a check mark for exercise once I have done at least 30 minutes of cardio. With you working and not sharing the same issues she needs to learn self accountability and she will continue the struggle but she will be motivated once she starts feeling better.

I know how the sluggishness is with underactive thyroid. Please feel free to have your daughter email me. I would be happy to be an accountability buddy with her.

Ish said:
I was a teenager in her same situation... now I am an adult struggling with weight and infertility... maybe this will help your daughter...

During my teen years, I was overweight and nothing that I would do would help me lose weight... I tried the fad diets, WW, Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, weight loss pills and even went as far as eating less than 1000 calories(supervised) but nothing worked...I was even very active in sports so working out or excercise was happening daily...
I was never "regular" with girl issues and just thought it was something a teenager, or young adult dealt with. My Dr put me on birth control which helped the girl issues but contributed with the weight gain... As I got older, my girl issues were fine because of the BC but the weight never went away...I am 37 an still dealing with it.

Not until later in life, I was 35, when my husband and started trying to get pregnant and for the life of us we could not, nothing was not working, and no one had any answers. I could not handle the frustration any longer, so after searching various symptoms online, I mentioned to my Dr that I might have something called PCOS... It was a light bulb moment for her, we did the blood work that afternoon and a week or so later, I was diagnosed with PCOS. Which is Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome.
This is a hormonal, issue where your body does not know how to metabolize insulin therefore converting it to sugar causing weight gain and it is a precursor to diabetes if you do not take care of yourself.

PCOS leads to irregular periods and other various issues when you get older...and it makes it nearly impossible to get pregnant, which is what we are dealing with now... I wish they would have diagnosed it sooner...
just to rule it out, you might want to get her levels checked... it will save her some heartache in the long run...
FYI: she needs to be off the BC for at least 3 months so her levels can get back to her "normal" state...

Good luck and I will keep her in my prayers...

I was going to bring up PCOS too. Please take her to an endocronologist and get her checked. I suffer from this and as I was reading your post it kept coming to mind. I know a lot about it and would be happy to answer any questions you might have. It can't hurt and very well might be the problem.

I have struggled with my weight all of my life. That being said, I have tried all the weight loss systems, diets, clubs, classes, etc. My findings:

WW does work. If you follow the program and are committed to it.
I did a Medical Weight loss program years ago. Lost 48 lbs. Again, it worked, but I was committed to making it work.
I had some good results with prescription meds. Not advocating this route at all, but for me, at the time, it helped a bunch.

My problem is yo-yo'ing. My question to you, and her, is how committed is she to becoming more healthy? If she is, then exercise has got to be a part of it. I totally understand about knees, etc aching (if you think it's bad now, wait until you are in your 50's!) but exercise such as walking, will build up the muscles and that's a good thing.

I just saw on TV an exercise video that it based on dance. The dancing with the stars people are behind it. Might want to check that out. Good luck.

I have not read through all of the posts but here are the things that came to mind.

First let me say that I too am a person that has struggled with weight all of her life.

You say she is bleeding quite a bit. Are the checking to see if she is anemic?

I do not know about thyroid problems but know enough to know they would raise several problems.

Birth control pills will contribute to weight gain but your physician should know this.

DO NOT put her on any type of diet pills. I had a prescription when I was her age. It led to heart palpitations which I told no one about because they made me feel good and kept my appetite down. They did not help me lose weight but fed my compulsive tendencies.

Do not talk diet and do not make her weight an issue. Let her talk to you about it and when she does, just listen and ask her what she feels you can do to help. Be supportive and perhaps even if you spoke with a dietician they can help you help her.

It sounds like she had a weight problem before these medications and as far fetched as this sounds...has anyone helped her look into an Overeater's Anonymous for Teens program? To be successful in prolonged weight loss we need to look at life as a 3 legged stool. Physical, Spiritual and Mental balance. It is not all about what we eat. It is why we eat. For me, eating soothes me much like a cigarette would a smoker. I need to first idenitfy what I am feeling and then find a way to soothe myself in a non food way. Also, if she could relate to other teens that are trying to work on their weight she may feel like she is not the only one dealing with this problem. She will relate to others her own age.

The sprituality part is not dependent on any belief in any one religion. Even athiests can follow this program.

Because food is such a part of my life (I have a 30 year career in food services and now 9 years in PC!) my major in college was food service administration (health related). I worked in nursing homes for 10 years as a diet technician and for the last 20 as a school lunch director. (yes, I am the head of 8 schools that serve those yucky school lunches! I am not offended in the least! I have heard so much worse said of our lunches!!)

We each have to find out what our individual journey is with food if weight is an issue in our lives. For me, sugar is to me as herion is to a drug addict. White flour and products that contain white flours are a problem for me. When I did go to OA and was honest with my food, I dropped from a size 22 to a size 6 and maintained it for 2 1/2 years. I fell off the wagon and am a size 18 again. Juice may not have sugar, but it has natural sugar. Our bodies can not tell the difference.

Here is what I am trying now and not sure this would help. (It is expensive $225 plus shipping) For me, being honest about what I am eating, how much and how much activity I am getting, seem to be a problem. Pure HONESTY! I purchased a "bodybugg" and it arrived right after Christmas. http://www.bodybugg.com I wear it around my left upper arm and it measures my calorie expenditure. You can download the information from this onto the website where you also log in your food. For me, it is really showing me that I have a LONG way to go with my honesty and food intake.

Sorry to ramble, but I felt like I was reading about myself (except the thyroid condition) when I read about your daughter. God Bless. Sounds like she has a supportive and very concerned Mom.

I know that I had some hormonal issues and such as a teen and into my adult life. I did not/do not have a thyroid issue (it's been checked). However, after praying about it seriously (as in I give over ever food desire craving really...I'd always felt a little sad a the possibility of losing chocolate, but not this time), I could not eat processed sugar. It makes me ill. I couldn't eat fruit or juice or anything sweet AT ALL for awhile until my body must have detoxed. Now I can have juice but it's usually 1/2-3/4 water. I can have organic sugar (evaporated cane juice) but every so often I need to stay away from that too. I dropped 30 pounds pretty easily. I could still lose another 20 I suppose, but I feel SO much better and have no more pain in my knee. I don't miss the sugar at all and have found little treats that are healthier that I really enjoy.Good luck!!

First of all ... she doesn't sound THAT overweight and I would focus your efforts on making her HEALTHY.

Secondly, I would urge you, as a PCOS survivor, to take Ish's post to heart. I have PCOS and thyroid issues. I would encourage you to find a good endrocrinoglist in your area. Also, be aware that soy products are not good for people with thyroid issues. Many diet plans seek to cut corners by promoting fake meat.

OK, let me make this as clear as I can ... she will burn as many calories walking slowly as she will by running. It is weight over distance. Therefore, she will probably burn more calories than her thin friends. The key thing is that she enjoys it.

Okay...I called my chiropractor today and talked with him about DD's situation. I am taking her to see him so he can look at her knees and back to rule out a medical reason for her aches and pains. He also suggested I take her to an arobics class...which is do-able because it is 2 days a week and late enough in the evening that my husband and I should be able to get her there and back without problem with work. The woman who teaches the class is a nurse at the health department in women's health. I am suppose to take her medicine with me and she is going to talk to DD about exercising and eating.

The chiropractor says that the walking is good, but if you don't walk any faster than you normally would to go to class or to the car, etc. that your body doesn't consider that to be exercise...just normal activity...therefore the body doesn't treat it as exercise. He says she needs arobic activity. And, she needs someone to help her stay motivated...which is hard for me because I can't be here for her all the time and when I am here I am trying to get the things done that absolutely have to be done around the house.

I think that 40 pounds overweight in a 15 1/2 year old is very overweight. I think that if she drops those pounds she will not have the aches and pains she has and she will feel better about herself.

Her bleeding has stopped except for normal periods. But, the OBGYN wants her to stay on the pill a while longer. I am hoping she will change her mind when I take her back next month. But, she won't be able to handle it if she starts bleeding like she did. I'm talking about serious...change your clothes every few hours...bleeding. She would have to leave during class...and some teachers wouldn't allow her to leave the room during class. I can remember how horrified I was if anyone found out I was on my period at school and can't imagine having it every day for months on end.

I don't push the weight issue because I don't want her taking diet pills. But, with her height and waist size...not to mention her bra size...it is hard to find clothes for her. A size 14 pant is a little snug in the waist and about 6 inches too long in the legs. The shirts that all the girls wear these days are absolutely out of the question. She will try on tons of clothes and find nothing she is comfortable wearing. She used to buy her clothes in the boys department, now she has to go to the plus women sizes...and they are not very attractive to teenagers. She doesn't want to be this big but needs the motivation to stay hooked to a routine.

I ordered Ultra-Metabolism today as well as a companion book with recipes in it.

Shawnna said:
I don't push the weight issue because I don't want her taking diet pills. But, with her height and waist size...not to mention her bra size...it is hard to find clothes for her. A size 14 pant is a little snug in the waist and about 6 inches too long in the legs. The shirts that all the girls wear these days are absolutely out of the question. She will try on tons of clothes and find nothing she is comfortable wearing. She used to buy her clothes in the boys department, now she has to go to the plus women sizes...and they are not very attractive to teenagers. She doesn't want to be this big but needs the motivation to stay hooked to a routine.

Until she gets her medical issues taken care of, she needs to find clothes that fit her shape and that she feels comfortable in. There is a plus size store for teens and young adults called Torrid. You can check out the website:Torrid.com - Plus sizes in exciting, cutting-edge apparel and accessories for young women sizes 12-26
please be aware that some styles might be geared more towards the adult
but do they have different styles of prom dresses, pants, shirts and many other things... something might work... ;)

on a side note, your daughters bleeding issues sound exactly like what I have been dealing with my PCOS, in regards to bleeding for months on end 6+ months before diagnosis....
I would bring it up to your OBGYN just so the can at least confirm or rule it out...

Good Luck!

I've been working very closely with a nutritionist for the past nine months, and I've worked very hard to incorporate in to my life some of the suggestions that she made. I've had great success with her ideas, and although they probably won't work for everyone, they DO work for me. My diet is focused on consuming as much protein as I can. And because protein is typically a much denser food than, say veggies or starches, the protein stays in your tummy longer, allowing you to feel "fuller" for longer periods of time.

In eight months, I've lost 80 pounds. I started out at 246, and now I am at 165. I still have a ways to go before I an no longer considered "obese"......30 pounds, in fact, but I plan on getting the remaining 30 pounds off before Memorial Day. I think I can do it if I just stick to my food plan, and get more active as the weather warms up a bit.

People generally WAAAAAAAY underestimate just how much they are eating. I know I did. But the one thing that keeps me on track is to log what I eat (and I mean everything.....), and to also weigh and measure my food so that I know precisely what nutrients and calories I'm putting in to my body. Again, not everyone can do this, because, frankly, it's not entirely practical for a busy person to do. But I have a husband, an active three year old, 4 step-children, a big extended family, and a full-time job in addition to this new PC business. My time is limited, but I still make it a point to measure my food and log what I eat into an on-line food diary. (MyFoodDiary.com)

Other tricks to incorporate: eat a breakfast, whateveer that might be. I typically eat a hard-boiled egg, or a bowl of weight-control instant Quaker oatmeal, or two ounces of sliced turkey deli meat. And I *always* drink 16 ounces of V-8 juice along with it....at least I can be guaranteed of getting in some good vitamins early in the day.

For a mid-morning snack, I usually eat an ounce of beef jerky, or another ounce or two of sliced lean deli meat, or 24 almonds (yes, I DO count them out!).

For lunch, I have a grilled chicken wrap from McDonalds (asking that the ranch dressing be applied lightly), or a South Beach Diet frozen lunch, or, like yesterday, some miso soup and some raw tuna from the sushi bar (no rice..just tuna).

For an afternoon snack, I'll have a 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt (it's less caloric than yogurt and tastes better) with a drizzle of sugar-free preserves in it, or a stick of string cheese.

For dinner, I'll have three or four ounces of pork tenderloin, or 1/2 of a grilled chicken breast, or a very modest piece of steak. I try to skip the rice, potatoes, and other starchy, high carb foods.

I also tend to drink three 20-ounce bottles of iced tea with Spenda throughout the day, but not within 30 minutes of eating.

Good luck with your daughter!

Thanks for the clothing website. I will check it out. I am going to take her to the store tonight to get some groceries...and some things she can use to take her lunch to school. I know they bake everything at school, but if the kids don't like it they won't eat it or will just eat the ff or mashed potatoes. Maybe some low-cal soups and lean cuisine meals will help her. She does like yogurt, but the kind with fruit in it. I am going to get some plain yogurt and fruit and show her how to make a smoothie for breakfast. She doesn't like the slim fast drinks, so those are out. I wonder if those v-8 fruit drinks are really nutritious. She might drink those...or I could put it in her smoothie. I will just check and see what is available.

i too had a thyroid problem on the low side. i now do not have a problem with it. i do not take any pills even now. i was on birth control pills and that is what started it for me. i suggest to get off the pills and get her Adrenal glands checked it has a lot to do with the function of the thyroid. i went to a doc in the twin cities that had specialized in Natural Meds (homopathic doc ) and it so worked for me. I took antibiotics in july of 07 and it through every thing off and i thought that i was normal but we were trying to have another kid and it was not working so I went back to the doc in the cities and he Checked my adranal glands and sed they were off enough to through my thyroid off too. and i took somepills and it went back to normal to where i do not take them any more and then we got our baby Girl in Dec.

congrats BadG! That is awesome! Im a protein fan and found that I lose more when I concentrate on it!

BarefootCook, what kinds of protein items do you eat? I'd love to incorporate a little more variety into my meals, but it seems that I tend to stick with my tried and true items. Sometimes it gets a little boring, but at least I can add in my head my protein consumption of particular items. I strive for a minimum of 75 grams of protein per day, all the while trying to keep my calories and carbs to as low as possible.

Ish said:
on a side note, your daughters bleeding issues sound exactly like what I have been dealing with my PCOS, in regards to bleeding for months on end 6+ months before diagnosis....
I would bring it up to your OBGYN just so the can at least confirm or rule it out...

Good Luck!

According to a book I've just finished by Drs. Oz and Roizen, PCOS is one of the leading causes of weight issues for women. It messes with your hormone levels. Just one more reason to make sure she sees a gynecologist.

OK ... I have a bit more time now ...First of all, as a teen, I was bigger around the waist than your daughter ... and not much taller than her ... so I can relate to not being able to find anything that fits off the rack. It is a big issue FOR HER so I can understand your concern.I do, however, emphasisize that it is more important to focus on health then size.I would encourage you to check out this site:PCOS Message Board - Powered by vBulletinIf any of this sounds familiar, use the site to find an endocrinologist for your daughter.Aerobic exercise is good ... it does increase the heart rate ... however, walking also burns calories. The key is distance, not speed. If she's walking more miles than she was, she is burning more calories.Also, our bodies have a setpoint they try to maintain, and exercise has been proven to lower the setpoint.The South Beach Diet is the only thing that worked for me since I have PCOS.There is a lot of conflicting information out there and I would encourage you to do as much research as you can on this.

Shawna, has a doctor tested her hormone levels? If she's got too much estrogen, or is insulin resistant, nothing will help- she'll just store EVERYTHING she eats as fat.

I have a hormonal imbalnce, but my thyroid is fine. My body doesn't make it's own progesterone or testosterone or cortisol. I have the most difficult time losing weight, and I am moderatly active. I also eat well, too. A special eating plan, with increased fiber and protein, and only good carbs, minimal fruit, and sugars might help- something similar to the Zone diet. Also, Metagenics is a great company that makes great protien powder's and they have a medical staff to help your physician put you on a plan that works for your body.

Birth control pills cause you to lose weight as it is, if she's got female problems, chances are that her body is making too much estrogen (which causes all the female problems you listed) and her body is not making enough progesterone.

I spent 3 years and went through 7 doctors before I found one that actually listened to me, and also didn't care that my test results for thyroid and a few other things came back normal. He said that doctors need to stop living and dying by ranges- just because it's normal for many, doesn't mean that it's normal for a few...in my case- the normal ranges were very abnormal for me, and had I not found my doctor when I did, well... I shudder to think. I was told I was in BAD shape. :)

Best of luck!!!

Well, the first place my OBGYN sent her was an endocrinologist who did nothing. He asked me what I knew about thyroid issues and said "yes, you are right. But it is perfectly normal for girls her age to have thyroid issues". So, after driving 3 hours one way, sitting for an hour and a half after our scheduled appointment, and seeing the doctor for 5 minutes, I was charge 450.00 and sent home with instructions to come again in 3 months and they would check her out. That was last spring. My OBGYN doesn't want to monitor her thyroid because it is not her area of expertise and because DD is so young. Our regular doctor is testing her every 3 months. She was checked in November and he lowered her dosage because he said her thyroid levels were right where they need to be.

I will ask the OBGYN about the PCOS.

She and I went to WM tonight and bought some protein snacks and food for her to take for lunch. She got some bananas and special K protein bars, smoothies, and lemonade to add to her water. These things she can put in her locker for a midmoring snack. She also picked up some yogurt and some special K cereal for breakfast. She will start her arobics class on Thursday and speak with the women's health nurse. We will see how it goes.

Another thing you might have them check is her D3 levels. I was told that even if my thyroid levels are in the "normal" range, if D3 levels are low that your thyroid still can't function properly. We've been told all our lives that sun is the enemy & if we are out that we need to wear sunscreen. Now different studies are finding that sunblock blocks the production of D3. Low levels of D3 can lead to skin cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer etc. If you go buy D3, make sure it has chlorcalciferol (not sure if that is the correct spelling but it is close!). Since I'm allergic to everything outside & rarely spend any time outdoors, I decided to start taking it even before I got my test results back. I take 4,000 to 10,000 i.u. per day. My doctor said that there is no way you can overdose on it!

Fyi Shawnna...speaking from experience....if she test for PCOS while she is on Birth Control, her levels will be normal. because that is why she is on them in the first place and it is doing its job... so she will have to be off of the pills for multiple months in order to get a non medicated reading...
Good Luck...

Shawnna said:
A size 14 pant is a little snug in the waist and about 6 inches too long in the legs. The shirts that all the girls wear these days are absolutely out of the question. She will try on tons of clothes and find nothing she is comfortable wearing. She used to buy her clothes in the boys department, now she has to go to the plus women sizes...and they are not very attractive to teenagers. She doesn't want to be this big but needs the motivation to stay hooked to a routine.

I ordered Ultra-Metabolism today as well as a companion book with recipes in it.

Fashion bug plus has verry cute teenager appropriate clothes! Sometimes I feel they are too young looking for me! LOL And pants can be hemmed.
Fashion Bug - Fun and affordable clothing for women in plus, misses and juniors sizes

Last edited:
I didn't read through all of the posts so this has probalby already been said but Weight Watchers would be the best thing for her. It will teach her to make healthy food and lifestyle choices. It is hard when you are in school and your friends don't have weight problems but WW will show her that she can eat what her friends do if she wants to make concessions somewhere else. All about choices and moderation. It is a great program. Sorry to hear she is having to deal with this stuff!

I shopped at Fashion Bug for years .... still would but have no money to shop with ....I'm so sorry you got yourself a bad endocrinologist! That's why I suggested soulcysters. They have a place where you can go to find a doctor who understands and specializes in this stuff.And what kind of crazy doctor says it's normal for a teen to have thyroid issues?PCOS and the disorders that go with it are still relatively knew in the medical community. I call it "the syndrome with 6 names" because everybody calls it something different.So it is important to have a doctor who knows how to order the right kind of tests. As much as I disliked the "low carb nazi" I saw before I met my endo, she did at least order appropriate blood tests. Didn't care much for her bedside manner, however, which is why I moved on. The endo, meanwhile, doesn't do the same depth of testing, and diagnosed me based on obvious factors like weight and family history. She did, however, pick up on the thyroid problem the other doctor had missed.Said all that to say that it can take some time to find the right doctor. But it can be SO WORTH IT. Our society puts a lot of pressure on teens to meet its standard of beauty, and a lot of people do lasting damage to their metabolism by taking extreme measures.Praying for wisdom for you.

Di_Can_Cook said:
I shopped at Fashion Bug for years .... still would but have no money to shop with ....

I'm so sorry you got yourself a bad endocrinologist! That's why I suggested soulcysters. They have a place where you can go to find a doctor who understands and specializes in this stuff.

And what kind of crazy doctor says it's normal for a teen to have thyroid issues?
PCOS and the disorders that go with it are still relatively knew in the medical community. I call it "the syndrome with 6 names" because everybody calls it something different.

So it is important to have a doctor who knows how to order the right kind of tests. As much as I disliked the "low carb nazi" I saw before I met my endo, she did at least order appropriate blood tests. Didn't care much for her bedside manner, however, which is why I moved on. The endo, meanwhile, doesn't do the same depth of testing, and diagnosed me based on obvious factors like weight and family history. She did, however, pick up on the thyroid problem the other doctor had missed.

Said all that to say that it can take some time to find the right doctor. But it can be SO WORTH IT. Our society puts a lot of pressure on teens to meet its standard of beauty, and a lot of people do lasting damage to their metabolism by taking extreme measures.
Praying for wisdom for you.

I totally agree!

ChefBeckyD said:
I hate to heap another book on you - but the best book I have read regarding Hypothyroidism (and her other issues as well) is this one:

Ultra-Metabolism by Dr. Mark Hyman

I have Hypothroidism, plus other adrenal issues, brought on by a long undiagnosed bout with Lyme's Disease. This book was eye opening, and I feel better than I have in years. MOST Dr's don't address the different issues with hypothyroidism, and one thyroid pill isn't going to do the trick for everyone. It didn't for me. Find a Dr who will consider Armour Thyroid (a natural thyroid med.).

I swear we are long lost sisters! I have burnt out adrenals, insulin resistance, androgen deficiency and my body doesn't make hormones...well it makes enough estrogen for a small village of females. :) It's VERY hard to lose weight!!! :(

I agree with you on the doctor thing. I just found out yesterday that the way I've been eating... is all wrong. And here a nutritionist with a 4 year nursing degree and a Masters in something else health and nutrition related put this eating plan together...and at one time I lost 23 pounds on it...so I wanted to implement it again, since I can't seem to eat properly on my own without food journals and a list of what I can and can't eat, and lo and behold I was eating wrong.

Well for crying out loud, will doctors and nutritionist ever agree on anything?! :):cry:

hperschnick said:
I didn't read through all of the posts so this has probalby already been said but Weight Watchers would be the best thing for her. It will teach her to make healthy food and lifestyle choices. It is hard when you are in school and your friends don't have weight problems but WW will show her that she can eat what her friends do if she wants to make concessions somewhere else. All about choices and moderation. It is a great program. Sorry to hear she is having to deal with this stuff!

Not when you have a thyroid or hormonal issue- weight watchers is what literally almost killed me because of my condition... it made it worse and I was killing myself by being on it- that is a direct quote from my Hormone Doctor! :) At least not if she is going to use the points system. It's good for teaching portion control, but that's about it...when it comes to thyroid and hormones and diabetes...

Kitchen Diva said:
I swear we are long lost sisters! I have burnt out adrenals, insulin resistance, androgen deficiency and my body doesn't make hormones...well it makes enough estrogen for a small village of females. :) It's VERY hard to lose weight!!! :(

I agree with you on the doctor thing. I just found out yesterday that the way I've been eating... is all wrong. And here a nutritionist with a 4 year nursing degree and a Masters in something else health and nutrition related put this eating plan together...and at one time I lost 23 pounds on it...so I wanted to implement it again, since I can't seem to eat properly on my own without food journals and a list of what I can and can't eat, and lo and behold I was eating wrong.

Well for crying out loud, will doctors and nutritionist ever agree on anything?! :):cry:

Soooo - are you saying you are following the Ultra Metabolism plan now? Because if you are - we could help keep each other accountable!

Well Hayley started her arobics class yesterday...she thought she was dying...lol But, she did enjoy the class. It is a small class with about 8 people. The age range is wide...there is even a 60 year old couple. She worked hard and only had to take 2 extra breaks...good since everyone else has been doing it for a year. Today I had her start writing down what she eats and we weighed her last night. I have called a nutritionist but she hasn't called me back yet. I looked at her food journal for today...she wrote down her breakfast and lunch, mid-morning snack and flavored water for the school day...She had yogurt for breakfast and is having soup for lunch, fruit loop snack n go for mid-morning, and 2 bottles of water with Special K lemonade/protein added. Her total calories up to the end of school will be 510 with 69 gm carbs, 25 gm protein and 24 gm sugar. I don't have any idea what she should be having...the carbs look high to me...and the sugar. I have been looking through my Curves book to see if there is any information there, but I am really waiting on the nutritionist to call before I implement anything permanent. She will have an afternoon snack when she gets home and then dinner.

Just so you now, yogurt can be LOADED with sugar. Does she like cottage cheese? Could be a better choice, more protein and way less sugar, then maybe add some fruit for sweetness (fruit cups with the syrup drained, or an apple or some grapes or a banana, those little cups of unsweetened applesauce - my point is that you can try to find EASY things, because often if it's not easy, it won't happen...)

AnnieBee said:
Just so you now, yogurt can be LOADED with sugar. Does she like cottage cheese? Could be a better choice, more protein and way less sugar, then maybe add some fruit for sweetness (fruit cups with the syrup drained, or an apple or some grapes or a banana, those little cups of unsweetened applesauce - my point is that you can try to find EASY things, because often if it's not easy, it won't happen...)

I was going to say the same thing - either that, or it's full of artificial sweeteners, which are nothing but bad for you. Plus, Froot Loops are nothing but sugar and processed carbs - they will actually make her crave more sugar and carbs and won't help her feel full at all!

Cheese Sticks or cubes, grapes, apple slices, nuts, Kashi Granola Bars - those are all things that are quick snacks that would help her feel satisfied.

One of our favorite snacks is apples and peanut butter. I wedge the apple almost all the way through with the apple wedger, then wrap it back up (with the core still in the middle) in plastic wrap. I have peanut butter in little individual disposable cups (measured into 2 TBLS servings - use the med. scoop). It's a great on-the-go snack, and it satisfies the salty/sweet/crunchy cravings!

I don't want this to sound like I was trying to slam you - I just know that what is so often advertised as healthy just isn't and it's hard to discern what is good and what isn't!

<h2>1. What is the most she should weigh for her height?</h2><p>The most she should weigh for her height of 5'2" is around 120 pounds.</p><h2>2. Can hypothyroidism cause excessive bleeding, weight gain, and affect growth?</h2><p>Yes, hypothyroidism can cause these symptoms and may also affect growth in some cases.</p><h2>3. Can birth control pills cause weight gain?</h2><p>Yes, some women may experience weight gain as a side effect of birth control pills.</p><h2>4. What physical activities does she do?</h2><p>She is currently not doing much physical activity, but she loves to dance and has tried joining a fitness club in the past.</p><h2>5. Is it safe for a 15 year old to take diet pills?</h2><p>No, it is not recommended for a 15 year old to take diet pills. It is important to focus on healthy eating habits and regular physical activity instead of relying on pills for weight loss.</p>

1. What is the most she should weigh for her height?

The most she should weigh for her height of 5'2" is around 120 pounds.

2. Can hypothyroidism cause excessive bleeding, weight gain, and affect growth?

Yes, hypothyroidism can cause these symptoms and may also affect growth in some cases.

3. Can birth control pills cause weight gain?

Yes, some women may experience weight gain as a side effect of birth control pills.

4. What physical activities does she do?

She is currently not doing much physical activity, but she loves to dance and has tried joining a fitness club in the past.

5. Is it safe for a 15 year old to take diet pills?

No, it is not recommended for a 15 year old to take diet pills. It is important to focus on healthy eating habits and regular physical activity instead of relying on pills for weight loss.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
1upland
  • friday
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
shelliebeard
Replies
Views
PamperedTammy