• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Managing Teething Pain: Tips for Parents with a 1-Year-Old

I'm sorry, I can't remember the rest. But it was something to that effect.Poor Baby....I'm sure she is miserable. Hope those teeth come through quickly!My daughter had a terrible time with teething too. I never found anything that worked well for us. Time heals all wounds.I just remembered something else our pediatrician told us. He said that they actually need to gnaw on something. He said he gave his kids very hard things, like wooden spoons (makes me cringe to think if they weren't bamboo), etc. They call it cutting teeth because they physically need to cut through the gums. All of...I'm sorry, I can
jst4467
Okay, so my 1 year old girl (just turned 1 on the 22nd) only has one tooth, got it about 2 months ago. No other teeth since then! But her gums have been real swollen. Took her for her check-up today and doc counted 7, yes I said 7, teeth coming in. Explains the screaming upon screaming, especially during the middle of the night. The other night she woke up and was clawing at her face and we thought she was gonna try to break her own jaw, that's how irate she was. We have given her Tylenol, Motrin, teething tablets, orajel, teething drops...none work. She doesn't like the rings or teething toys. My husband finally got her to go to sleep after 2 hours because he drove around with her in the car. My son's teeth never caused this much trouble! I called my husband and told him to buy some whiskey, that's how desperate I am. Whiskey for her and me! LOL But seriously, isn't that what they did a while back, before the tablets and drops? Any ideas? Oh, and we also tried frozen bread, nothing would soothe her.

Poor little thing. She must be miserable. I have no advice at all, but you have my sympathies.

Freeze a banana and then let her gnaw on it.

7 at once!!! Holy Cow!! You have tried everything I could think of. I'm likin' the whiskey about now. JK
Good luck, and try to think of it as getting it out of the way for a while, then maybe you guys can have a break for a few months.

I know they used to use whiskey and rub it on the gums, but they used to smoke while pregnant too!! I would say, do what you think is right for her and what you can find that works.

DebbieJ said:
Freeze a banana and then let her gnaw on it.

Liking this idea...gonna go put a banana in the freezer right now. She loves bananas!

Thanks for all the suggestions/tips/support!

Awwww, poor baby! How horrible that must be for her!

jst4467 said:
Liking this idea...gonna go put a banana in the freezer right now. She loves bananas!

Peel it before you freeze it. Much easier.

Do you have one of these?
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6356&parentCategoryId=85181&categoryId=85206

They sell them at Target too. My son had the same situation when he was about that age -- I think it was 8, actually, all of the top and bottom teeth at the same time! No joke, he broke them all in less than 2 weeks -- bam, bam, bam! He was working on them for a LONG time though! We bought one of these things and stuck every frozen fruit we could think of in there. To this day, his favorite food to eat is frozen blueberries, probably because of this! Good luck!

Also, there are teething tablets you can dissolve on their gums. I think they provide a little more relief than orajel and don't taste nearly as bad.

we used a warm washcloth with our first and a cold washcloth with our second daughter. My first daughter didn't like the cold items much. It was something she could bunch up and chomp on to soothe her gums.

janezapchef said:
Do you have one of these?
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6356&parentCategoryId=85181&categoryId=85206

They sell them at Target too. My son had the same situation when he was about that age -- I think it was 8, actually, all of the top and bottom teeth at the same time! No joke, he broke them all in less than 2 weeks -- bam, bam, bam! He was working on them for a LONG time though! We bought one of these things and stuck every frozen fruit we could think of in there. To this day, his favorite food to eat is frozen blueberries, probably because of this! Good luck!

Also, there are teething tablets you can dissolve on their gums. I think they provide a little more relief than orajel and don't taste nearly as bad.

Those things are great! You can even freeze juice in ice cube trays and put them in there.

Poor Baby....I'm sure she is miserable. Hope those teeth come through quickly!

My daughter had a terrible time with teething too. I never found anything that worked well for us. Time heals all wounds.

I just remembered something else our pediatrician told us. He said that they actually need to gnaw on something. He said he gave his kids very hard things, like wooden spoons (makes me cringe to think if they weren't bamboo), etc. They call it cutting teeth because they physically need to cut through the gums. All of the teething rings are soft because we think it is what they need, but the hard teethers actually help cut the teeth through. He suggested one of these, and we found that our kids really got a lot of comfort from them. They held up great, even with all the gnawing. I get these a lot as baby shower gifts because in my opinion, they are the best teethers, but not the ones you would normally think of.
http://www.geniusbabies.com/trix-by-haba.html
Ours was actually a fish, but it doesn't seem to be out there any more. The clown is similar, as is the frog. Oh, found it on amazon. I searched for Haba (the brand) and bunches came up. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000J4YP/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This one is awesome too. We got ours at Walmart...
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=160&parentCategoryId=85181&categoryId=85202

I seem to remember a pediatrician suggesting brandy on a baby's gums, but can't remember now if it was for one of my kids, or the doctor telling my mom to do for my youngest sister. Obviously, I don't remember if the advice was followed, and if it was effective

Hmm, maybe it was one of my kids, and I took a little too many sips myself, and that's why I can't remember.

Your poor little girl. I remember those days. My children liked to do things in groups as well, and we just froze many things. I remember giving our kids pop cycles not opened, and letting them chew on them til they needed refroze. This way if they did puncture the wrapper it was just a nice flavor for the little ones to enjoy, and we did not need to worry as much.

I don't have kids but my friends say they have had luck with the tablets.. I believe they are all natural. They should be in the baby section or near the pharmacy in the drug store. I would save the whiskey for Mom!

My son teethed on the mega scraper and our bamboo spoons; he only cut 4 at one time, but I can imagine if there had been more. He didn't like anything frozen, but I've heard that harder items help CUT the teeth thru the gums! The gums need to be broken thru before the relief comes! My sympathies!

My girl just turned one on the 7th she has 5 teeth and cutting 3 more. her favorite teething helpers are a toothbrush (i even put baby toothpaste on it cant hurt right) and walmart has a toy for teething that vibrates when she chews on it. it is in the baby section and in the shape of grapes. she also loves wet rough rags terrycloth type.

as others have said wooden or plastic spoons also seem to help a lot of babys

janezapchef said:

These are called Hyland's Teething Tablets. I just found a bottle way back in a drawer. Good stuff!

We did frozen waffles for my son. Built in drool cups!One fortunate thing about getting them all at once is that at least you're over some of the teething in one hard swoop rather than dragging it out. Poor kiddo while it's happening, though!

1. What is "My Poor Little Girl!"?

"My Poor Little Girl!" is a cookbook written by Pampered Chef that features delicious, easy-to-make recipes that are perfect for busy families.

2. Are the recipes in "My Poor Little Girl!" kid-friendly?

Yes, the recipes in "My Poor Little Girl!" are designed to be kid-friendly and easy for children to help make in the kitchen. They also include tips for getting kids involved in the cooking process.

3. Do I need special kitchen equipment to make the recipes in "My Poor Little Girl!"?

No, the recipes in "My Poor Little Girl!" are designed to be made with basic kitchen equipment that most households already have. However, some recipes may require a few Pampered Chef products for added convenience.

4. Are the ingredients in "My Poor Little Girl!" recipes easy to find?

Yes, the ingredients in "My Poor Little Girl!" recipes are common and easy to find at most grocery stores. They are also budget-friendly and perfect for families on a budget.

5. Can I make substitutions in the "My Poor Little Girl!" recipes?

Yes, you can make substitutions in the "My Poor Little Girl!" recipes to fit your dietary needs or preferences. The cookbook also includes tips for ingredient substitutions and variations for each recipe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
babywings76
  • Kitchen2u
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • minirottie
  • General Chat
Replies