• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Interview at Trader Joe's: An Update

The summary is that the person was asked to update everyone after their interview today. They had a good interview and hope to hear back from the company soon. They were asked about their interest in the job and their thoughts on it. They were also asked about their wardrobe and if they thought they would need to invest in any new clothes for the job. They were told that they would get a 10% discount on dark chocolate covered almonds with sea salt if they are hired.
chefann
Gold Member
I was asked to update everyone after my interview today.

The backstory: I was at Trader Joe's (TJ's) about 2 months ago to deliver some product to a customer. Never one to pass up an opportunity to do a little shopping, I went in. There was a sign on the door that they needed someone for the demo area (mmm... food samples...). I filled out an application and spoke to a very nice woman about some jobs I've had, etc. I did mention PC to her, and indicated that I was specifically interested in the demo position.

Then I didn't hear anything. I figured they had filled the position, because that woman mentioned that she thought it was filled already. And then I got a call this week, with an interview time.

It was this morning, and I think it went really well. They're interviewing others, but will call within 2 weeks. The manager (or captain as they're known at TJ's) was really nice and asked a LOT of questions about PC in relation to the job.

On the way home I realized that I totally forgot to ask about wages. :grumpy: D'oh! The cool thing is that I won't have to invest in a lot of clothes, other than a couple of pairs of jeans, since they're super casual there (Hawaiian shirts or T's, shorts or jeans).

Great job Ann! I hope you get the job- you are MORE than qualified!

That sounds like such a FUN job!

Hope you get it, Ann! And since you said you won't need to invest in many clothes, does that mean you already have a closet full of Hawaiian shirts...or do they provide them?:D http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/acid42/hawaiian.jpg

They provide them - they have the store logo on them.But the Captain did mention that they think the Demo position is one of the most important in the store, because that's the one employee who almost every customer has contact with. This particular TJ's has about 2000 customers a day. And as he mentioned, "You'd be throwing a party for 1000 of them."

Read the bottom left to find out about Ann's potential job:http://www.traderjoes.com/meet_our_crew.html

Funny thing...I just thought about the TJ job the other day. Thought I may have missed if you got it or not Chefann. Well I hope you get the call soon and they can't live without you! What a fun job, hopefully the pay is ok too. You may end up using all you earnings at the store....haha

That thought had occurred to me. :) But I'll get a 10% discount! mmm... 10% off dark chocolate covered almonds with sea salt.

chefann said:
I was asked to update everyone after my interview today.

The backstory: I was at Trader Joe's (TJ's) about 2 months ago to deliver some product to a customer. Never one to pass up an opportunity to do a little shopping, I went in. There was a sign on the door that they needed someone for the demo area (mmm... food samples...). I filled out an application and spoke to a very nice woman about some jobs I've had, etc. I did mention PC to her, and indicated that I was specifically interested in the demo position.

Then I didn't hear anything. I figured they had filled the position, because that woman mentioned that she thought it was filled already. And then I got a call this week, with an interview time.

It was this morning, and I think it went really well. They're interviewing others, but will call within 2 weeks. The manager (or captain as they're known at TJ's) was really nice and asked a LOT of questions about PC in relation to the job.

On the way home I realized that I totally forgot to ask about wages. :grumpy: D'oh! The cool thing is that I won't have to invest in a lot of clothes, other than a couple of pairs of jeans, since they're super casual there (Hawaiian shirts or T's, shorts or jeans).

They have to hire you! You are like a female Alton Brown (but way better looking :)) so they'd be silly not to hire you!

I hope you get the job and I hope they don't take another 2 months to get back to you this time.

I can't wait to hear the good news! Make sure you tell us all real soon! :)

chefann said:
That thought had occurred to me. :) But I'll get a 10% discount! mmm... 10% off dark chocolate covered almonds with sea salt.
I must have grabbed a container and put it back about 5 times when I was there the other day. I was looking for some more festive Lara Bar flavors- sadly my local grocery store had more to offer than Trader Joe's and I was sad.

I am just not a huge dark chocolate fan (don't mind it in baking) so I was afraid to try them. My they have so many yummy looking things in there.

Our Trader Joe's is so crowded that it's nearly impossible to shop in there. I should call them and ask them when their REALLY slow times are!

chefann said:

I want to work at TJ's and get DCC Almonds w/ SS for 10% off!:cry: :cry: :cry:

I have found that of the 3 locations in this area that I've been to, weekends are the busiest. When I went in this morning for my 10:00 interview, there were a few shoppers, but pretty empty. One of the questions they asked at the interview was, "What's your favorite item?" I told them that it depends on the week and what I've been in the mood for. This week, it's the Joe-Joe's sandwich cookies, which are an all-natural alternative to Oreos. They also taste better. But I also love their General Tso's sauce for easy dinner (saute cut-up chicken breasts, add sauce and serve over rice with some broccoli), and that's where I buy my crystallized ginger for baking.

Becky- you'll have to make a trip down. I thought of you as I walked through the store this morning, and kept seeing "organic" and "all-natural" on things. :)

Yumm-o!!!! (I know I said I was working on not using so many exclamation points, but this darn character max gets me some times when all I want to say is just plain YUMMO!)

Meh.It's easy to get past the minimums.

That sounds great--I hope you get it!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Meh.

It's easy to get past the minimums.

Not really, you are still typing extra letters/character's that you'd rather not. But that is a clever idea!

With the wealth of information you provide to us Cheffers, if they don't hire you then they don't know what they missed!:chef:

I think we are getting a TJ's in our area....I am gonna have to look into this!

looky at what I just found....

and Trader Joe’s is expected to arrive later this year with a 12,500-square-foot store in the adjacent Short Pump Station.

this is only 20 minutes from my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want one in WNY! If we have one around here, they are keeping it a secret.

chefann said:
Becky- you'll have to make a trip down. I thought of you as I walked through the store this morning, and kept seeing "organic" and "all-natural" on things. :)

I KNOW!!! Maybe sometime this summer it will work out. I don't do weekend shows during the summer - maybe I'll have a non car show weekend when I can come!

So far, I want all of the foods you have mentioned....and I do get online and drool over their ad/newsletter.

chefmeg said:
looky at what I just found....

and Trader Joe’s is expected to arrive later this year with a 12,500-square-foot store in the adjacent Short Pump Station.

this is only 20 minutes from my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whoot! Like I need another excuse to traipse up to Maggiano's up there :) I'm psyched!

Cheering for you to get the job Ann. It is a perfect fit. I love TJ...especially their truffles!

KateD said:
Whoot! Like I need another excuse to traipse up to Maggiano's up there :) I'm psyched!
Kate, I have never been to Maggiano's! I have been to the Copper Grill, which a yummo! Where are you "outside of Richmond"??

Aw, nuts!Well, TJ's called today. They interviewed over 40 people and hired 3. And I wasn't one of them. Drat.

Well, they obviously have no taste or discernment when it comes to hiring good help. I'm now re-thinking my enjoyment of Trader Joe's. Hmmph!

That made me giggle, Rae. Thanks. You rock!

chefann said:
Well, TJ's called today. They interviewed over 40 people and hired 3. And I wasn't one of them. Drat.

Their loss! Sorry it did not work out!

chefann said:
Well, TJ's called today. They interviewed over 40 people and hired 3. And I wasn't one of them. Drat.
Seriously?!?!? Did you give them all our names and numbers for references? I don't understand how they couldn't hire you.

I might just boycott them- to show my support for you !!!

:)

I'm so sorry Ann! Definitely their loss. They have no idea what they just said no to!

Waddaya mean it made you giggle? I'm serious!

Kitchen Diva said:
Seriously?!?!? Did you give them all our names and numbers for references? I don't understand how they couldn't hire you.

I'm with you.

I'm never going to go to the TJ store in Detroit again.

Of course, I never have gone there and it's 6 hours away, but I'm in solidarity with you!

Way to sacrifice for the cause, KG!

Kitchen Diva said:

She didn't want to TOTALLY freak them out!

janetupnorth said:
She didn't want to TOTALLY freak them out!
You know we wouldn't have helped her! :) LOL

ETA- I obviously cannot type. I meant to say You know we WOULD'VE helped her... what a freudian (sp?) (again my dictionary is at work) slip! Geesh!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I'm with you.

I'm never going to go to the TJ store in Detroit again.

Of course, I never have gone there and it's 6 hours away, but I'm in solidarity with you!

Whoo-Hooo!!!!!!

Those people who are interviewing and hiring don't know what they just passed over....

silly people!

Sorry it didn't work out, Ann....that sounded like the PERFECT FIT for you!

Sorry Ann, that is their loss...BIG TIME! They will see that they made the wrong choice.

Glass half-full time!

Ann, now you can put additional time into your Pampered Chef business and go on an earned PC trip! TJ's would not give you a trip. I think you should go to Miami!

Ann,
I'm sorry. :( I'm sure there's something even better out there or maybe more time to put into your PC business like ChefLisa said! :)
God bless,
Amanda

Thanks, everyone!Miami just doesn't hold any appeal to me (sorry to those who live near there - you'd be the only reason I'd want to go), nor do Mexico or Paris. And I'm just too lazy, frankly, for a trip to happen this year.KG- there's a TJ's much closer to you that you can boycott. The one in Glendale on Port Washington at Bayshore Mall. That one is much more convenient for your boycottage.

Sorry it didn't work out Ann. DEFINITELY their loss!

Just means that there IS something better out there for you!!

chefann said:
Thanks, everyone!

Miami just doesn't hold any appeal to me (sorry to those who live near there - you'd be the only reason I'd want to go), nor do Mexico or Paris. And I'm just too lazy, frankly, for a trip to happen this year.

KG- there's a TJ's much closer to you that you can boycott. The one in Glendale on Port Washington at Bayshore Mall. That one is much more convenient for your boycottage.
I've never been there, either. Detroit is almost more convenient.

Besides, I'm more interested in girlcottage - regardless of what Ann is saying over in the update thread.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I've never been there, either. Detroit is almost more convenient.

Besides, I'm more interested in girlcottage - regardless of what Ann is saying over in the update thread.

There is just something creepy about the way that sounds... :)

TEAM ChefAnn! I'm making a T-shirt and I'm gonna wear it to Trader Joe's the next time I go in to NOT buy anything!!!

Last edited:
Oh bummer, Ann! I'm so sorry.:(

And it's too bad that the 2 new meals I've made this week that DH really liked were based on TJ's sauces, cuz I'll have to go and get more. Of course, I can go to the other location so I don't have to run into the manager again. (I'm such a chicken.)

Can you order them online?

Nope. They don't sell online.The really silly thing is that I was already looking forward to getting Three-Buck-Chuck at a 10% discount to use as host gifts at shows.

Sorry Ann! There must be something better on the horizon!

<h2>1. What is the backstory to your interview at Trader Joe's?</h2><p>The backstory is that the person works for Pampered Chef and was at Trader Joe's to deliver a product to a customer. They saw a sign on the door that they needed someone for the demo area and decided to apply for the job. They mentioned their interest in the demo position and filled out an application.</p><h2>2. How long did it take for you to hear back after you applied?</h2><p>The person did not hear back for about 2 months after they applied. They assumed the position had been filled, but received a call this week for an interview.</p><h2>3. How did you prepare for the interview?</h2><p>The person did not mention specific preparation, but did mention that they talked about their previous jobs and also mentioned their experience with Pampered Chef. </p><h2>4. How did the interview go?</h2><p>The person felt that the interview went well. The manager (known as a captain at Trader Joe's) was very nice and asked a lot of questions about Pampered Chef in relation to the job. The person also mentioned that they forgot to ask about wages during the interview.</p><h2>5. What is the dress code like at Trader Joe's?</h2><p>The dress code at Trader Joe's is very casual, with employees wearing Hawaiian shirts or t-shirts, and either shorts or jeans. The person also mentioned that they won't have to invest in a lot of new clothes for the job, other than a couple of pairs of jeans.</p>

1. What is the backstory to your interview at Trader Joe's?

The backstory is that the person works for Pampered Chef and was at Trader Joe's to deliver a product to a customer. They saw a sign on the door that they needed someone for the demo area and decided to apply for the job. They mentioned their interest in the demo position and filled out an application.

2. How long did it take for you to hear back after you applied?

The person did not hear back for about 2 months after they applied. They assumed the position had been filled, but received a call this week for an interview.

3. How did you prepare for the interview?

The person did not mention specific preparation, but did mention that they talked about their previous jobs and also mentioned their experience with Pampered Chef.

4. How did the interview go?

The person felt that the interview went well. The manager (known as a captain at Trader Joe's) was very nice and asked a lot of questions about Pampered Chef in relation to the job. The person also mentioned that they forgot to ask about wages during the interview.

5. What is the dress code like at Trader Joe's?

The dress code at Trader Joe's is very casual, with employees wearing Hawaiian shirts or t-shirts, and either shorts or jeans. The person also mentioned that they won't have to invest in a lot of new clothes for the job, other than a couple of pairs of jeans.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefann
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies