• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Most Under-Rated/Over-Rated Product

In summary, the most under-rated and over-rated product in the catalog are the Handy Scraper and the Rotary Grater, respectively. Unnecessary would be the oven pad.
gailz2 said:
I've forced myself to use the new scrapers and am beginning to really like them. The spotting drives me nuts, however. I try and get the "spot free" before a show -- any hints on this???

Phew, I thought it was just me! I have to handwash them right before a show -- every time. My dishwasher always leaves those stupid spots on these! The only reason I'm bringing them this month is the host special. I usually don't bring them for the spotting reason!

ChefPaulaB said:
I somewhat agree about the decorator bottles, if you're using them for cake decorating in very detailed way, they aren't the right tool. What I use them for is doing a quick little decorate (maybe writing something on a cake) or for cupcakes or cookies... mostly for the kids. They are great for what they are meant for... but you are right, not for cake decorating.

I love the decorator bottle set!! I don't use it for all out decorating, but it is great for little things like you said and I love it for the kids to use. I recommend them a lot and have used them at many demos and sold a lot. I have one that the lid pops off easy and I think it is defective. The other two are fine.

When people ask me about the decorating bottles I tell them that it depends. If they're comfortable and experienced with a pastry bag, they probably won't care for them. If not, they're likely to love them. I also like to remind people that they're great for dips or spreads. If you're having your buddies over, leave them in the bottles and let your guests decorate their own appetizers or snacks. If you're having true "company," use them to make your appetizers or snacks look good.

Over-rated: the Easy Adjustable Measuring (cup & spoon), these just don't seem to work for me, much easier to use the ones from (can I say it?) TW.

Under-rated: micro-cookers, we use them almost daily for leftovers and frozen veggies

Unnecessary: Drink Charms

gailz2 said:
I've forced myself to use the new scrapers and am beginning to really like them. The spotting drives me nuts, however. I try and get the "spot free" before a show -- any hints on this???

and here all this time - I thought I did something wrong to mine! I have never taken them to a Show because they look horrible....

I have had trouble with the spotting on all of my colored scrapers...not the original white ones. But seems like every color we have had gets those spots.

Whoo! That took a while to read, but totally worth it!

Here I go:
Over-rated: UM -I hate washing it by hand (my dishwasher is in North Dakota)
Under-rated: the small scoop - maked great silver dollar pancakes, the pinch bowls - fab for heating a serving or two of syrup.

Thanks everyone for giving your idea's and tips. I'm throwin' as many as I can remember into my shows.:D

OK, you guys aren't using your micro cookers and mix n chops together!! This is the key. I take a lb of frozen ground meat cook it in the microcooker for about 8-9 min, drain the grease ( an amazing feature the classic bowl family doesn't have), then use the mix n chop. Pieces do not get stuck and the ground meat is still juicy and delicious!!

PCalicia said:
OK, you guys aren't using your micro cookers and mix n chops together!! This is the key. I take a lb of frozen ground meat cook it in the microcooker for about 8-9 min, drain the grease ( an amazing feature the classic bowl family doesn't have), then use the mix n chop. Pieces do not get stuck and the ground meat is still juicy and delicious!!

I do this too!! Any time I'm adding ground beef to something it's so much easier this way! Especially because you can drain it before you break it up!

PCalicia said:

I'll have to try that and see if it works better for me. The only down side to doing it that way is when I want to saute onions at the same with the meat.

I do them all at the same time... throw in the beef, add the seasonings, add the garlic, and the chopped onions. cook in microwave, then mix n chop it perfect! :)

raebates said:
When people ask me about the decorating bottles I tell them that it depends. If they're comfortable and experienced with a pastry bag, they probably won't care for them. If not, they're likely to love them.

I also like to remind people that they're great for dips or spreads. If you're having your buddies over, leave them in the bottles and let your guests decorate their own appetizers or snacks. If you're having true "company," use them to make your appetizers or snacks look good.

This is why you are so valuable Rae!!:sing:!! I would never have thought of that and now I have a use for them as I do prefer the pastry bags for decorating. I may just have to use this for my Spring Preview open house I plan to have in the end of February!!!!!:p:chef:

murkey said:
Under-rated: master scraper, bamboo tongs, colander bowl & set (so versatile! and with lids!), spices for sure, and LOVE the salad choppers!!!

Over rated:
the mandolin
All our current silicone products (not worth the extra cost and not versatile enough IMO)
decorator bottle set & easy accent decorator (sorry, I run a bakery and these just don't cut it LOL)

Unnecessary: Napkin rings, drink charms, soap foamer

I cake decorate too, and got the EAD just to use at shows, but I was surprised at how much I like it for topping desserts - I think it is so easy for anyone who doesn't have or like to use a pastry bag. My neighbor has something similar (but more expensive!) from Williams Sonoma, and it is a pain to use. And I love how it goes right in the dishwasher, and has a lid for storing leftover filling/topping in, so it doesn't ooze out, until you're ready to use it.

I just thought of another one that I feel is over-rated: the pizza cutter. I have another brand one, not sure of the company. My sister got it for me one Christmas at a restaurant kitchen supply kind of store. It is awesome. The PC one never seems to cut through the pizza all the way for me. I think it's too big. This other one I have has a really solid metal handle (it's like the ice cream scoop type of metal, can't remember what that is right now), and it is just so great at cutting through all the way and having nice control on where you are going, especially if you roll back and forth to go through things. The PC one never stays on the same "track" when I have to go back and forth, and back and forth, and--okay, one more time--back and forth, to maybe finally cut through. :DETA-- I just looked and it's brand is called Dexter. I don't know much about the brand. But I feel like taking a picture of it and recommending PC look into its design. Of course, I'm probably the only one who hates ours, so maybe they don't want or need my suggestion. :)

ShellBeach said:
Underrated? The kitchen brush - it gets all sorts of crud out of that dratted mix n chop, and even out of non-PC stuff, and saves my manicure, daily.

Overrated? All the stones, just too much trouble to keep clean and things take longer to cook, they are heavy and difficult to store. Other stuff like the finger guard, herb keepers, etc are not highly rated to begin with, are they?

Unneccesary - well, a lot of it. I could get by with a knife, cutting board, and a few pans, but WHY?
you don't like the stones? I honestly don't know how I cooked before I got the large bar pan. I use it for everything - meatballs, grilled veggies, pizza, brownies, prepared frozen appys. It is never far from my oven. easy to cook with and so easy to clean.

I think the ice cream sandwich maker is unnecessary but my mom loves it to make hamburger patties.

I love my silicone floral cupcake pan - brownies that I don't have to cut, mini ice cream cakes, pretty ice, jello shots (just let someone else drive home), pretty muffins and scones. This is one of my top ten sellers.

drink charms are useless and I do not like the adjustable measuring items. give me individual measuring spoons and cups in stainless.

And my new favorite is the 12" executive skillet. I am amazed at how easy it is to clean no matter what I use it for - every time.

but pretty much like everything that I have.

ChefPaulaB said:
What do you use it for? I've used it once (not a huge avocado person), would be nice to know other uses...

My aunt told me she uses her to make her peanut putter sandwhich every morning, she said it scoops the peanut butter out nicely.
I love my vacado peeler, but I love avacados.

PCalicia said:

thansk for that tip :) I use my microcooker for my chicken breast, 8-9 minutes in the micro. I tell people that at shows and I sell then like hotcakes, this is my biggest seller and one my favorite product. Never thought about the ground beef :):thumbup:

I love my silicone floral cupcake pan - brownies that I don't have to cut

mmm, I make brownies in mine alot, too! So pretty and fun, to serve & eat.
And then I use that kitchen brush to get the pan clean...

merego said:
My aunt told me she uses her to make her peanut putter sandwhich every morning, she said it scoops the peanut butter out nicely.
I love my vacado peeler, but I love avacados.

Didn't you buy one from me? Now that PC is offering a new recipe next season with Avacado's (California Club Pizza) I might have to buy another one!

Another underrated product is the Twixit Clips, I love them and don't ever seem to have enough!!

I love this thread. To those that don't love the mandoline, you MUST NOT cook homemade fries. Mine has paid for itself by this alone. I also love it for slicing tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, etc. I HATE it for shredding anything. HAven't figured that out yet.

I recently got the DCB and it is my new favorite product love it.

Another underrated product is the Trifle Bowl. I use it for everything and love to make and take stuff ahead of time. Definately worth the money.

Underrated #2 coll. bowl. love it!

Can't think of anything I hate, LOL. Guess that's why I sell it.

PamperedSheep said:
I love this thread. To those that don't love the mandoline, you MUST NOT cook homemade fries. Mine has paid for itself by this alone. I also love it for slicing tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, etc. I HATE it for shredding anything. HAven't figured that out yet.I recently got the DCB and it is my new favorite product love it.Another underrated product is the Trifle Bowl. I use it for everything and love to make and take stuff ahead of time. Definately worth the money. Underrated #2 coll. bowl. love it! Can't think of anything I hate, LOL. Guess that's why I sell it.
Not that I should ask, because fries are definitely not on my diet, but how do you use the UM for fries? I get that you can slice potatoes, but to make them into fries? And I didn't think that the blades would cut thick enough for fries? (Sorry if I should know this)... I agree, hate it for shredding!

under-rated:
citrus press-- amazing how much juice you can get!
i-slice-- You gotta have one of these for opening those CD's and DVD's!
cookware protectors-- Great for putting between those stones!
micro scraper-- At last, I can get all the tomato paste out!

over-rated:
rotary grater-- I am tempted to tell customers NOT to buy it!
pizza cutter-- My kitchen shears work better.
easy adjustable measuring spoon-- Doesn't fit in the mustard jar; not always sure
I have it leveled off properly
pie crust shield-- Doesn't fit right

unnecessary:
egg separator-- Really, is it that hard??
mini loaf pan-- Takes up way too much storage space!

cactus_flower said:
under-rated:

over-rated:
easy adjustable measuring spoon-- Doesn't fit in the mustard jar; not always sure

unnecessary:

You use the shears to cut pizza??!

Yes, Jolene, but I forgot to mention that they are not PC shears. I just lift up one edge of the pizza and cut across the entire thing. My PC pizza cutter never seems to cut all the way through the crust.

Under-rated = Hmmmm .... I would have to say a toss up between the small slotted turner (can't understand for the life of my why they gave me that big one to go with my tiny saute pan .. I use it 5 times a day) and the mega scraper, that gets far more use than I thought it would.

Over-rated = Dare I say it? The grill pan! We're used to using the foreman for burgers and they are just too greasy on this one. Makes a pretty good chicken breast, though ... The collapsable bowl is too wide for my cupboard and clashes with my kitchen, and the outdoor ware looks cheap.

Unnecessary = Anything with the word "spreader" in its name. Just use a knife, people!

cactus_flower said:
under-rated:

over-rated:

unnecessary:

I love the egg separator because I can never get it to work right any other way. Plus it holds onto the side of the bowl so you have both hands and doubles as a whisk when you are done.
pampermejolene said:
You use the shears to cut pizza??!

DH uses our kitchen shears all the time to cut pizza.

cactus_flower said:
under-rated:
unnecessary:
For some of us...YES it is!!! I used to have the old TW one and it never worked, but I bought the PC one about 14 years ago and have loved it ever since!! I can't do the "shell thing" and it's so much easier when you are doing a LOT of cakes (like for a wedding etc.) to have it hanging on the side of your bowl so you can use both of your hands. I luv it!! :love:

cactus_flower said:
Yes, Jolene, but I forgot to mention that they are not PC shears. I just lift up one edge of the pizza and cut across the entire thing. My PC pizza cutter never seems to cut all the way through the crust.

Until I saw this, I completely forgot that growing up, my mom ALWAYS used shears (her kitchen shears, of course)) to cut pizza!!

Of course, now we always use the pizza cutter. Someone got us a nice one back when we were married, so it has been pizza cutters ever since then.

c00p said:
For some of us...YES it is!!! I used to have the old TW one and it never worked, but I bought the PC one about 14 years ago and have loved it ever since!! I can't do the "shell thing" and it's so much easier when you are doing a LOT of cakes (like for a wedding etc.) to have it hanging on the side of your bowl so you can use both of your hands. I luv it!! :love:

Another thing is I heard that it's totally unsanitary to use the egg shell to seperate your eggs.

wadesgirl said:
Another thing is I heard that it's totally unsanitary to use the egg shell to seperate your eggs.

Well, when you think of where the egg came out of, would you want that on your eggs?? :eek::yuck:LOL My parents have a chicken house and I used to gather eggs when I lived at home and you should see how some of them look when you first get them. I'll just say that even if they have been power washed I wouldn't want the outside touching the inside, EVER!!! I always make sure that I wash my hands extra good after touching eggs!!! I love my egg separator!

chefshawna said:
Well, when you think of where the egg came out of, would you want that on your eggs?? :eek::yuck:LOL My parents have a chicken house and I used to gather eggs when I lived at home and you should see how some of them look when you first get them. I'll just say that even if they have been power washed I wouldn't want the outside touching the inside, EVER!!! I always make sure that I wash my hands extra good after touching eggs!!! I love my egg separator!

I use the shells to seperate my eggs (the egg seperater is on my wish list).

Now I know where I'm getting my potty mouth. LOL

My egg seperator gets a workout at Easter! It is the best way to lower eggs into the boiling water and then retrieve them. (We make LOTS of Easter Eggs!!)

pjpamchef said:
My egg seperator gets a workout at Easter! It is the best way to lower eggs into the boiling water and then retrieve them. (We make LOTS of Easter Eggs!!)

I never thought of using that for hard boiled eggs. That's a great idea!!

Crystal Patton said:
I use the shells to seperate my eggs (the egg seperater is on my wish list).

Now I know where I'm getting my potty mouth. LOL

Too funny!! LOL I used to use the shells also, then I got to thinking about what my parents eggs look like before they're washed! I am pretty good at using the shells, but much happier to not have to!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
KitchenSmellzSmokey
  • kdangel518
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Jen1409
  • Pampered Chef Rachel