• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Most Under-Rated/Over-Rated Product

In summary, the most under-rated and over-rated product in the catalog are the Handy Scraper and the Rotary Grater, respectively. Unnecessary would be the oven pad.
ChefPaulaB said:
Just wondering, why don't you thaw the frozen chicken breasts in the DCB and cook at the same time? I'm pretty sure that you can do that and not have to use another stone and save time... just a thought...
Oh, I do love bamboo, just because I think it's beautiful and I love that it's a re-newable resource and it really is better than wood.

~ Yeah, I cook chicken breasts from frozen in the DCB all the time, I've even done the Chicken Fajitas and similar recipes with them frozen before. Just add a few minutes to your regular cooking time.

ChefPaulaB said:
Wow, you don't like a lot of good stuff. I love the wine bottle opener, love the kitchen shears (but I wasn't here for the old ones), just discovered the pocket thermometer and love it! (again, wasn't here for the digital, I think that I would love them both), like the mix 'n masher, and love the EAD, and the cookie press is pretty cool, although I don't use it a lot... pretty much love everything on you're under-rated list too (LOVE the Salad Spinner!)... maybe I just love everything! I'm a PC junkie, that's why I'm now a consultant, I guess!

The wine bottle opener has too many separate pieces for me. I prefer an all-in-one type. The old kitchen shears worked better, but I do have to say that I like the herb striping ability with the new ones, the digital therm. had so many more features than the pocket one. And I'm a Wilton fan/snob when it comes to anything to do with decorating, so that's probably why I snub my nose at the EAD!!! The cookie press has a lot of limitations and issues sometimes with dough - but it can be a lot of fun to do with kids.

c00p said:
Bamboo - it's "perty"!!! And like Rae said, it doesn't split like wood does.

So does this mean I should return my bamboo spatula set? I was just noticing my set the other day and it has all these splits in it now.

leftymac said:
1. Love the mix 'n masher! It's great for not only potatoes, but also making guacamole, AND it makes a great pastry blender for making pie dough! Ok - I've used the mix 'n chop for my potatoes and avacodoes, as well as chopping up spaghetti, chicken noodle soup etc. for my little man. I hadn't thought about the mix 'n masher for a pastry blender, but I can totally see how that would work.

2. Gotta agree about the adjustable measuring cup, especially the big one! I'd love to have a PC measuring cup that I can scoop in my sugar container.

3. I've never actually used my pinch bowls.
Thanks for admitting this!!!

babywings76 said:
So does this mean I should return my bamboo spatula set? I was just noticing my set the other day and it has all these splits in it now.

Yes. Like any natural product, there are differences among pieces. Sounds like you got a defective one.

babywings76 said:
I sure would. I know that they resist cracking, but they've also got the 3 year guarantee, so I would certainly contact HO. I've had some of mine for 8+ years and they still haven't cracked.

babywings76 said:

Yes do an adjustment.

Though our bamboo spoons say that they are dishwasher safe I have never put mine in the dishwasher.

Oh, one more for the over-rated and maybe to me it is because I'm a simple gal, but the Reversible Bamboo Carving Board. I just use my large cutting board for cutting meat on.

babywings76 said:

Yep! I would!

Under-rated: Can strainer

Over-rated: Mandoline *gasp* and the mix-n-chop

Unnecessary: Dots (please don't shoot!:eek:)

Unnecessary: Dots (please don't shoot!:eek:)[/QUOTE] :eek::eek:GASP - but they make you smile!!!! :love::D:p
Just last night at my show we served the microwave white chicken chili in an assortment of dots and everyone loved how they made them smile!!:D

janezapchef said:
I am so glad this is finally being discontinued! Though, my host for Friday told me all she really wants to get is this! Seriously??? Is it really so hard to pick up two cookies and put some ice cream between them? Oh well, I'll take the show, gladly!

It's not hard to put two cookies and ice cream together!!! LOL

But... when my grandkids come over... we JUST HAVE to go to the store and buy cookies and ice cream so we can make ice cream sandwiches!!! They love it and I'm then GREATEST granny!!! :angel:

c00p said:
Unnecessary: Dots (please don't shoot!:eek:)
:eek::eek:GASP - but they make you smile!!!! :love::D:p
Just last night at my show we served the microwave white chicken chili in an assortment of dots and everyone loved how they made them smile!!:D[/QUOTE]

ah-hem...or a HEADACHE! Just kidding :p They are lovely in moderation but do not make me feel pampered and thus are unnecessary to me.

Get_Pampered said:
:eek::eek:GASP - but they make you smile!!!! :love::D:p
Just last night at my show we served the microwave white chicken chili in an assortment of dots and everyone loved how they made them smile!!:D

ah-hem...or a HEADACHE! Just kidding :p They are lovely in moderation but do not make me feel pampered and thus are unnecessary to me.[/QUOTE]

I like the dots bowls, especially the small round bowls. They're fun and look cute with ice cream in them. For me, the dinnerware set would be a bit much.

OK... for me it goes like this...

Under-rated: the i-slice, can strainer

Over rated: the mandolin (I hate it!), I don't like the kitchen shears...

Unnecessary: Napkin rings, finger guard

I'm sure I could think of more given time!
M

See, I didn't know you could put the frozen chicken breasts in the DCB and cook them. I so glad we have CS!

c00p said:
Ok, on the mix 'n chop rinse it with scalding water BEFORE you put it into the dishwasher. I've never had a problem with it being clean since I do that.

Over-rated: wine bottle opener, ALL of the knives w/ honing cases, stupid new kitchen shears, cutting board w/ meas. cups, cut 'n seal, pinch bowls (cute, but c'mon, do you seriously use them??), scoop clip, adj. meas. cup - you still have to use a scraper to get the stuff at the top out - go for the Measure All instead, pocket thermometer (bring back the digital one), Mix 'n Masher (why??), cookie press, easy accent dec., silicone bakeware. Gee, is that all????!!! :)

Under-rated: Salad Spinner, microfiber towels, ALL spices, Simple Additions, corn cob knobs and corn butterer, Microplane grater, Meat Tenderizer, Kitchen Spritzer, Flexible Funnels, S.S. flat whisk, drainer, ALL of the chef's tools, silicone basting brush. Guess that's enough!!!

This is probably the #1 used PC tool in my kitchen! I use mine every single day.

It is the perfect tool for mixing dry cereal into boiling liquid and stirring until it's done...with NO LUMPS! (like Oatmeal, Cream of Rice, Cream of Wheat......I don't buy the instant stuff.)

It is the perfect tool for stirring any type of mix where you are supposed to incorporate the dry ingredients with the wet, but be careful not to overstir. Like muffins, quick breads, pancake and waffle batters.....

I use it to mash up potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash....

It's the perfect tool for mashing avocados and stirring up guacamole, it's also great for mashing beans to make bean dip or a chunky type of hummus.

It's great for using as a whisk when making gravies or sauces. I don't like the silicone coated whisks too much - they are to flimsy for me - I turn to the mix n masher for just about everything! I'm often taking mine out of the dishwasher to hand wash so I can use it again!

What a lot of fabulous ideas -- took me quite awhile to read all of these, but well worth it.Over-rated: UM, I don't even take it to shows anymoreUnder-rated: Food chopper, utility knife, green tomato knife (so versatile and inexpensive, and sharp!), tool turn around (where would I be without it). DCB, Large Bar Pan, Food Chopper and Garlic Press are my "Must Haves".Unnecessary: Dots (they scratch too easily), new large grater (smaller one is so much better), ice cream sandwich maker, oil spritzer.I wish our batter bowls stacked better for storage and that we offered a 2-cup sized one. Perhaps they could open up the handles at the bottom.

c00p said:
Oh, one more for the over-rated and maybe to me it is because I'm a simple gal, but the Reversible Bamboo Carving Board. I just use my large cutting board for cutting meat on.

I loooovvvveeee this!!! I don't know how I could serve a turkey without one!!I use also for chickens, pork, etc.

I just thought of another one because we are having it tonight. Pizza crust & Roll Mix is under-rated! I love this stuff -- sooooooo much better than the pouches in the store!

And, thanks so much for all of the great uses listed here! I honestly have never used the mix-n-masher because I don't make mashed potatoes. I had no idea what else to use it for -- going to be trying it on avocadoes for sure!

janezapchef said:
And, thanks so much for all of the great uses listed here! I honestly have never used the mix-n-masher because I don't make mashed potatoes. I had no idea what else to use it for -- going to be trying it on avocadoes for sure!
That's exactly why I always keep new products on my kitchen table for a few weeks after they arrive. I thoroughly read all of the Use & Care Guides. Then, whenever I go to fix anything, I look over the products to see if there is any way I can use one or two of them. This helps me to find different uses for them and get used to using them. I figure the more comfortable I am with the products the better I'll be at explaining their use and value to my guests.
Yeah, I'm a PC nerd.

raebates said:
That's exactly why I always keep new products on my kitchen table for a few weeks after they arrive. I thoroughly read all of the Use & Care Guides. Then, whenever I go to fix anything, I look over the products to see if there is any way I can use one or two of them. This helps me to find different uses for them and get used to using them. I figure the more comfortable I am with the products the better I'll be at explaining their use and value to my guests.

Yeah, I'm a PC nerd.

You're so good!

leftymac said:
You're so good!

Good/Obsessive--it's a fine line.

Besides, I'm not the one planning to do a review of every new recipe.

raebates said:
Good/Obsessive--it's a fine line.

Besides, I'm not the one planning to do a review of every new recipe.

That goal went to hades. In the past two days I've made the Casbah Chicken and Couscous and the Jalapeno Popper Pizzas and was too lazy to do a review for either. But that's because I wasn't that impressed with them.

ChefJWarren said:
I just fainted!

I LOVE my Mix N Chop. BUT I only use it after the meat has been cooked. It works way better if you wait!! Plus, I also use it for mashed potatoes and guac.

I have to add.... If you have any hispanics at your shows you can tell them they no longer have to try to cut the "Abuelita" chocolate tablet before making their hot chocolate, they can just throw it in whole and use the mix n'chop. LOOOOOVE IT! Perfect for chorizo con huevo too! :)

leftymac said:
That goal went to hades. In the past two days I've made the Casbah Chicken and Couscous and the Jalapeno Popper Pizzas and was too lazy to do a review for either. But that's because I wasn't that impressed with them.

Oh, well, you had good intentions. It is difficult to review something that you just find so-so.

Overrated:
Pinch Bowls- couldn't WAIT to get them - now, I never use them

Mandoline - I can slice so much faster with a knife (and a knife is easier to clean). I use it primarily to grate cheese - but hate the huge anount that doesn't get grated at the end of each chunk.

Underrated:
Mix N Mash - it sat in a drawer for over a year until I saw the recipe on here for mashed potatoes in the microwave. Having used it for the portatoes, I now think to grab it out of the drawer for other things.

Microplane Adj Grater - best thing ever. I avoided all recipes with zest until I discovered microplane.

Cutting Boards - I am cutting board junkie - must have about 10-15 of various sizes and NONE compare to ours.

----
I agree - love the Miix N Chop - but hate to clean it!

I can't stand the vegetable peeler. yep. the newer one wiggles and just annoys me. I bought a kitchen aid one and love it.
I also dislike the new rotary grater. I tried to make pizzas with fresh mozzarella, and yeah I hate it. It took me about 30 minutes to grate the cheese and my hand was in so much pain. and why dirty the grater for a spritz of cheese on a salad when you can use the zester and get cheese "squigglies" in much less time and clean one tool, wasting no cheese at all inside the grater!!

I also don't like the newer scrapers- I can't get them to function as well as the mix n scrapers.

But I love many other things, I love selling the herb keepers- I have kept cilantro and parsley fresh for much longer than a month with the herb keeper.

leftymac said:

Really? The Jalepeno poppers weren't good? They sounded delish...

I never use: Rotary Grater, UM, Pinch Bowls

Can't live w/o: Mix N Chop, Chopper, Masher, scrapers, cutting boards

Unnecessary: Ice Cream sand maker, finger guard, bamboo small serving set, the one w/ the little ladle, knife and fork thing

Under-rated: master scraper, bamboo tongs, colander bowl & set (so versatile! and with lids!), spices for sure, and LOVE the salad choppers!!!Over rated:
the mandolin
All our current silicone products (not worth the extra cost and not versatile enough IMO)
decorator bottle set & easy accent decorator (sorry, I run a bakery and these just don't cut it LOL)Unnecessary: Napkin rings, drink charms, soap foamer

What a great thread!

Under-rated: handy scraper, zester scorer, which i use more often than the microplane grater when i zest
Over-rated: new rotary grater, pinch bowls. I need to make an art arrangement out of the pinch bowls so that they get some use
Unneccesary: drink charms, italian seasoning mix - the charms have none, and you can pick up a comparable italian seasoning blend anywhere

chefsteph07 said:
Really? The Jalepeno poppers weren't good? They sounded delish...

I know, I just bought the ingredients for these to make for my Super Bowl Party. What exactly didn't you like about them? Is it something fixable?

ChefPaulaB said:
I know, I just bought the ingredients for these to make for my Super Bowl Party. What exactly didn't you like about them? Is it something fixable?

Paula, let us know what you think of them after you make them...

chefsteph07 said:
Paula, let us know what you think of them after you make them...

I will do that!

under-rated: the kitchen brush!! I have been using the same one for years!!! And I never even mention it at my shows!
over-rated: mandoline *hate it*, kitchen spritzer!!!

Over-rated: Mandoline. Just never have loved it... too much work to get out and put the blade in and it takes me awhile to clean it. Under-rated: handy scraper, mini bamboo tongs, small bar pan, twixit clips (hated them at first but now they are on everything!), simple additions square bowls w/ display rack ( I get tons of compliments whenever I take these to parties-non PC, with food and dip in them).

I LOVE my madonline! I don't get to use it that often because it's in my kit in my car but I use it at my shows and for all sorts of things.

pjpamchef said:
under-rated: the kitchen brush!! I have been using the same one for years!!! And I never even mention it at my shows!
over-rated: mandoline *hate it*, kitchen spritzer!!!

I love my kitchen brush but it was discontinued a year ago. Wasn't it?

Most under-rated: basting brush, pastry mat, can opener
Most over-rated: pinch bowls- cute but not practical
Unneccesary: I know I have thought of some in the past, but I'm drawing a blank right now!

trps said:
I love my kitchen brush but it was discontinued a year ago. Wasn't it?
No, it's still in the catalog.

chefshawna said:
Most under-rated: basting brush, pastry mat, can opener
Most over-rated: pinch bowls- cute but not practical
Unneccesary: I know I have thought of some in the past, but I'm drawing a blank right now!

The pastry mat is great! I always bring it but don't always talk about it.

ChefBeckyD said:
This is probably the #1 used PC tool in my kitchen! I use mine every single day.

It is the perfect tool for mixing dry cereal into boiling liquid and stirring until it's done...with NO LUMPS! (like Oatmeal, Cream of Rice, Cream of Wheat......I don't buy the instant stuff.)

It is the perfect tool for stirring any type of mix where you are supposed to incorporate the dry ingredients with the wet, but be careful not to overstir. Like muffins, quick breads, pancake and waffle batters.....

I use it to mash up potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash....

It's the perfect tool for mashing avocados and stirring up guacamole, it's also great for mashing beans to make bean dip or a chunky type of hummus.

It's great for using as a whisk when making gravies or sauces. I don't like the silicone coated whisks too much - they are to flimsy for me - I turn to the mix n masher for just about everything! I'm often taking mine out of the dishwasher to hand wash so I can use it again!

Lots of great ideas! Thanks, now I will like mine and use it more!

Underrated? The kitchen brush - it gets all sorts of crud out of that dratted mix n chop, and even out of non-PC stuff, and saves my manicure, daily.

Overrated? All the stones, just too much trouble to keep clean and things take longer to cook, they are heavy and difficult to store. Other stuff like the finger guard, herb keepers, etc are not highly rated to begin with, are they?

Unneccesary - well, a lot of it. I could get by with a knife, cutting board, and a few pans, but WHY?

raebates said:
The Measure, Mix & Pour gets my vote for under-rated. Our son uses it for scrambling eggs. It's great for mixing up anything small. It's very versatile.

I'd have to say the Jar Opener is a bit over-rated. It just doesn't work as well as the Easy Opener. I've sold a few, but it's not my favorite product.

The Ice Cream Sandwich Maker strikes me as unnecessary, but you didn't offer that as a category. :)

As for the problem with the Rotary Grater, try moving the handle back and forth instead of round and round. That will cut your shreds so they won't be too long. Making that switch worked wonders for me.

I also agree with the MM&P! I use it everytime I'm making gravy to make sure there are no clumps in the flour/water mixture!

MY underrated: citrus peeler (I know that it's silly, but my 3 year old LOVES to eat oranges ALL day-if I'd let him, this is a "nail saver"), dripless pourer stopper: love this, but it definitely pours waaaaay too slow!;), & the silicone trivets...use these EVERY night!!!

overrated: UM, I do use mine when making cabbage salad & such, however I think it's a bit pricey & that you have to cut the food up pretty small before it'll even fit into the holder.

Unneccesary: dots...not a huge fan

:eek::eek:WHAT YOU DON'T LIKE THE MIX N CHOP OR THE FOOD CHOPPER? WHAT KIND OF PC PEOPLE ARE YOU?!!!! Just kidding...hehehehe

Most under-rated: southwest seasoning, prep bowls, can strainer and can opener

Most over-rated: Ultimate Mandoline...I'm still using my Slice n Grate because I like it better. Herb Keeper, towels, pinch bowls...not many gourmet cooks around here.

My Must Haves: Food chopper, Mix n chop, dots dinnerware, garlic press, salad choppers and our green santuko knife.

My "You've got to be kidding" list: ice cream sandwich maker, stemware, finger guard

Over-rated: Cutting Board w/Measuring Cups, Decorator Bottle Set

Under-rated: Citrus Peeler (love using it with my non-stick bakeware), Spoon Rest (huge space saver, we have three around our cooktop), Kitchen Brush

Unnecessary: Drink Charms & Napkin Rings (neither do it for me), Coating Trays

wadesgirl said:
I LOVE my madonline! I don't get to use it that often because it's in my kit in my car but I use it at my shows and for all sorts of things.

I was getting nervous I was the only one that didn't hate the UM. I love mine and use it to grate mozzarella everytime I make a pizza (at least once a week) I also love using it for onions when I want slices and it's quick and easy for that. I also love demoing it and have sold tons when I demo it. I love that it stores neatly on my pantry shelf as well

My personal underated products honestly nothing comes to mind I love almost everything I own and use at least one thing a day for dinner, breakfast or what ever. Nothing in particular. Love the stoneware though. Am slowly building my collection. Most recent acquisition is DCB and have used it 3 times this week!!:)

Overrated Decorator Bottle Set. I hate these. I'm a cake decorater and someone recommended I try them. I did and they are hard to fill, the tops come off while using it and they are hard to squeeze. I do use the brush though to clean things often!! I tried them once and won't use them again. Whenever people ask about them I tell my experience and lost a sale for them once but didn't want to sell something I didn't believe was a good product. Another guest at a show bought them anyway as they were for her kids so they'd stop playing with her EAD.

Bluiydangl said:
I can't stand the vegetable peeler. yep. the newer one wiggles and just annoys me. I bought a kitchen aid one and love it.
I also dislike the new rotary grater. I tried to make pizzas with fresh mozzarella, and yeah I hate it. It took me about 30 minutes to grate the cheese and my hand was in so much pain. and why dirty the grater for a spritz of cheese on a salad when you can use the zester and get cheese "squigglies" in much less time and clean one tool, wasting no cheese at all inside the grater!!

I also don't like the newer scrapers- I can't get them to function as well as the mix n scrapers.

But I love many other things, I love selling the herb keepers- I have kept cilantro and parsley fresh for much longer than a month with the herb keeper.

I've forced myself to use the new scrapers and am beginning to really like them. The spotting drives me nuts, however. I try and get the "spot free" before a show -- any hints on this???

I somewhat agree about the decorator bottles, if you're using them for cake decorating in very detailed way, they aren't the right tool. What I use them for is doing a quick little decorate (maybe writing something on a cake) or for cupcakes or cookies... mostly for the kids. They are great for what they are meant for... but you are right, not for cake decorating.

<h2>1. What is the most under-rated product from Pampered Chef?</h2><p>The Handy Scraper is often overlooked, but it's a versatile tool that can be used for scraping, transferring ingredients, and even cleaning counters.</p><h2>2. Which product from Pampered Chef is considered over-rated?</h2><p>Many customers find the Rotary Grater to be over-rated, as the long strands it produces can be difficult to work with and clean up afterwards.</p><h2>3. What does it mean when a Pampered Chef product is considered unnecessary?</h2><p>An unnecessary product is one that may not be essential for cooking or may have limited use compared to other products in the catalog.</p><h2>4. Can you recommend a product that is both under-rated and over-rated?</h2><p>The Measure-All Cup is a product that seems to have mixed reviews - some customers love it for its versatility, while others find it to be too bulky and unnecessary in their kitchen.</p><h2>5. Is there a product that you think is completely unnecessary from Pampered Chef?</h2><p>In my opinion, the oven pad is an unnecessary product. A regular oven mitt can do the same job, and there is no need for an extra item in the kitchen.</p>

1. What is the most under-rated product from Pampered Chef?

The Handy Scraper is often overlooked, but it's a versatile tool that can be used for scraping, transferring ingredients, and even cleaning counters.

2. Which product from Pampered Chef is considered over-rated?

Many customers find the Rotary Grater to be over-rated, as the long strands it produces can be difficult to work with and clean up afterwards.

3. What does it mean when a Pampered Chef product is considered unnecessary?

An unnecessary product is one that may not be essential for cooking or may have limited use compared to other products in the catalog.

4. Can you recommend a product that is both under-rated and over-rated?

The Measure-All Cup is a product that seems to have mixed reviews - some customers love it for its versatility, while others find it to be too bulky and unnecessary in their kitchen.

5. Is there a product that you think is completely unnecessary from Pampered Chef?

In my opinion, the oven pad is an unnecessary product. A regular oven mitt can do the same job, and there is no need for an extra item in the kitchen.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
KitchenSmellzSmokey
  • kdangel518
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Jen1409
  • Pampered Chef Rachel