• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Pampered Chef Knives Rated by Consumer Reports

In summary, the knives in the Pampered Chef 1041 set were rated as having "Less Corrosion" than some of the other rated knives, but they were not the best rated. The forged knives have only been around since last fall, and I am sure that they would compare very well with the best of the stamped knives.
KimoMakano
Gold Member
I have noticed a few threads about rust spots and nicks on knives so thought I would do a little checking. By the way, I really do like the knives.

When I went to Consumer Reports (online) I found that they actually had ratings on Kitchen knives. Out of curiosity I checked and found that they had rated a Pampered Chef knife. The model nbr was #1041, not sure what this is since the review was done in November 2005.

Of the 33 "Fine Edged" knives (sets) the Pampered Chef came in at nbr 31! Yikes!! Cutting was rated at Very Good and Handle at Good. As for Corrosion it indicated as "Less Corrosion".

I think the death blow was the handle because in cutting and corrosion it was right up there with the best.

Granted this is a couple years old but it is the most recent they have posted and the Pampered Chef knives have come a long way since then.

Just some perhaps useless information.......

The forged knives have only been around since last Fall, I believe. The knifes you are referring to are the ones with sharpening cases.

Correct Kate.
I believe the knives they test are even at least one generation behind the forged knives currently available. I think the current ones are probably a better quality than the ones reviewed.

Like you, I haven't been around long enough to be familiar with the "1041" set, but I am familiar with CR's ratings. Like other posters mentioned, these ratings were for the self-sharpening knives, not the forged ones. Also, for that particular test, they were rating sets as a whole -- not just knife performance. I think the death blow was probably the number of "missing" knives. According to CR:

Missing indicates which of the mainstays (Chef’s, Paring, Slicer, and Utility) aren’t in the set we tested. Usually, they’re available separately; we’ve noted when they aren’t.

The set that was tested had only two knives, and the entry under "Missing" was "C, P, U," which means the set did not contain a chef's, paring, or utility knife. For a cutlery set, that's pretty miserable (and kind of makes me wonder what actually was in that set). Fortunately, this set is obviously no longer available, and the paring, utility, and chef's knives are all available individually.

As for performance, as you said, the PC knives got a "Very Good" rating for cutting, and a "Good" rating for handle construction. However, many other knives got "Excellent" ratings for one or even both of these categories.

However, it should be noted that the knives receiving the top ratings were all forged. In a way, this isn't really fair way to present their findings, because stamped knives never compare well to their forged counterparts. CR definitely should have separated their ratings into stamped and forged categories. If that were the case, and the knives themselves (rather than the sets) were being rated, I'm sure PC would have gotten top ratings (if not top rankings).

Also, the PC forged cutlery is very, very good. As someone who has owned Henckels and Wusthof forged cutlery long before starting out with PC, I can tell you that these knives compare well with the best of them. I'd love to see CR update their testing to include the PC forged line -- I have a feeling these knives would give the "Big Boys" a run for their money. (But then again, maybe not, because IMHO, the Kershaw Shun Classic deserved a much higher ranking than what it got.)

Anyway, just be sure to put those ratings in context, should anyone ever mention them. Remember,
  1. The ratings were on the overall quality/value of a set that is no longer sold by PC.
  2. The ratings compare stamped and forged cutlery in the same grouping.
  3. Our forged cutlery is not included in these ratings.

HTH!

Quality of Knives - #1041 F/W 2006 catalogFor those who are new, this was a carving set with two pronged fork and 8" knife and storage case with built in sharpening and honing mechanisms for $45.50. It had a Lifetime warranty.

Grandmarita said:
For those who are new, this was a carving set with two pronged fork and 8" knife and storage case with built in sharpening and honing mechanisms for $45.50. It had a Lifetime warranty.

which I love! Just used it tonight as a matter of fact

Grandmarita said:
For those who are new, this was a carving set with two pronged fork and 8" knife and storage case with built in sharpening and honing mechanisms for $45.50. It had a Lifetime warranty.

CR used a carving set in their testing? :eek: That's not fair at all. I really do hope they update their knife ratings to include the PC forged line.

thank you for some great information Parish Kitchen!

-leggy

I had a customer a few shows back come and order our forged knives because she saw them in CR and said they were ranked pretty high. Which surprised her and impressed her. I didn't really pay attention to her because I was busy with orders and other things and frankly didn't remember about it until just reading this thread. Guess I'll have to look into this...

Let us know what you find out.

Leggy, you're very welcome. It's my pleasure.Really, it is. I'm a total geek for this stuff. :)

1. What makes Pampered Chef knives top-rated by Consumer Reports?

Consumer Reports rates Pampered Chef knives highly due to their sharpness, durability, and ergonomic design. The knives are made with high-quality materials and undergo rigorous testing to ensure their performance and safety.

2. Are Pampered Chef knives worth the investment?

Yes, Pampered Chef knives are worth the investment. They are designed to last for years and have a lifetime guarantee. The high-quality materials and expert craftsmanship make them a valuable addition to any kitchen.

3. Can I purchase Pampered Chef knives separately or do I have to buy a set?

Pampered Chef knives can be purchased separately or in sets. They offer a variety of knife options, including individual knives, knife sets, and block sets. This allows you to customize your collection to fit your specific needs and budget.

4. How do I care for my Pampered Chef knives?

To maintain the sharpness and longevity of your Pampered Chef knives, it is recommended to hand wash them with warm, soapy water and dry them immediately. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials on the knives, and store them in a knife block or sheath to protect the blades.

5. Are there any safety features on Pampered Chef knives?

Yes, Pampered Chef knives have safety features such as a contoured handle for a secure grip and a full-tang design for balance and stability. The knives also come with protective sheaths for safe storage and transportation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefruthie
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • dannyzmom
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
chefkathy
Replies