• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Most Under-Rated/Over-Rated Product

In summary, the most under-rated and over-rated product in the catalog are the Handy Scraper and the Rotary Grater, respectively. Unnecessary would be the oven pad.
leftymac
I know there have been threads like this in the past but these are fun, and we have new folks in so their contributions will be nice. But I was cooking this afternoon and using one of my favorite tools and thought it'd be fun to re-do a thread on what you think is the most under-rated and over-rated product in the catalog. We'll also look at which products you feel are just unnecessary.Under-rated = that product that you just love but never gets talked about (the red-headed stepchild of Pampered Chef)Over-rated = the one that you're supposed to love but just hate.Unnecessary = get a dictionary if you don't know the meaning of this word.For me, the most under-rated is the Handy Scraper. I love it, especially when I use two at once to transfer ingredients to bowls! It's also great for cleaning my counters.The most over-rated for me is the Rotary Grater. I was using it yesterday and I just *hate* it so much. Way-too-long strands that just kind of hang there in the drum.For me, the unnecessary product would be the oven pad. Just use the dang mitt!

Last edited:
I agree on the rotary grater. I really can't stand it! Now, I don't hate it enough to use preshredded cheese, but almost! I'm hoping one day they'll come out another drum with bigger grating holes.

My under-rated product is a strange one. I actually do talk about it, but not in the way it is intended to be used. I love the brush from the turkey baster and brush set. It is the BEST bottle brush ever made because it can get into places that no other brush can -- good for cleaning the b. pump pieces too (sorry to the guys, but it is)! I also use it to clean any of those things that just can't be cleaned by any other brush or a dishcloth, like when food gets baked into the top of the food chopper blade by the dishwasher.

janezapchef said:
I agree on the rotary grater. I really can't stand it! Now, I don't hate it enough to use preshredded cheese, but almost! I'm hoping one day they'll come out another drum with bigger grating holes.

My under-rated product is a strange one. I actually do talk about it, but not in the way it is intended to be used. I love the brush from the turkey baster and brush set. It is the BEST bottle brush ever made because it can get into places that no other brush can -- good for cleaning the b. pump pieces too (sorry to the guys, but it is)! I also use it to clean any of those things that just can't be cleaned by any other brush or a dishcloth, like when food gets baked into the top of the food chopper blade by the dishwasher.

Lil tips like that are what help our customers to buy things. I use the brush from the decorator bottle set to clean those hard to reach places. It doesn't work the best, but it's what I got. It sits in the SA rectangular platter above my kitchen sink with the kitchen brush and pan scraper in it.

Under rated would be the silicone funnels. I use them all the time in my kitchen.

Over rated... hmmm.... I'll have to think about that one a little more.

I like this thread, Keith! I also agree on the rotary grater. Mine broke and I don't want to replace it.

The most under-rated is the Tool Turn-About. You can use it to store and organize other things than kitchen utensils.

The most unnecessary is the Egg Separator, even though I own one from years ago.

Last edited:
Over-rated would have to be a toss-up between the finger guard, the herb keeper, or the coating trays.

Under-rated would be the Avocado Peeler (I use it all the time for things other than avocados!)

ChefBeckyD said:
Over-rated would have to be a toss-up between the finger guard, the herb keeper, or the coating trays.

Under-rated would be the Avocado Peeler (I use it all the time for things other than avocados!)

Yes the finger guard! I take it to every show because it's small but I don't think I've had too many people buying it. They ask because it's weird looking.

I do love my herb keeper and coating trays.

What else do you use the Avocado Peeler for?

ChefBeckyD said:

What do you use it for? I've used it once (not a huge avocado person), would be nice to know other uses...

Ok, this might get me in trouble, but for me over-rated = Food Chopper. I like it, but I don't love it. Too much work to use and to clean (keep in mind, I don't use a dishwasher), when I can just use a knife.

Under-rated - the Small Bamboo Spoons. I use them for eating (just makes every meal feel special, especially when I use the SA Small Square Bowl, too), stirring small things while cooking, serving dips, etc. They also make wonderful give-aways!

The Measure, Mix & Pour gets my vote for under-rated. Our son uses it for scrambling eggs. It's great for mixing up anything small. It's very versatile. I'd have to say the Jar Opener is a bit over-rated. It just doesn't work as well as the Easy Opener. I've sold a few, but it's not my favorite product.The Ice Cream Sandwich Maker strikes me as unnecessary, but you didn't offer that as a category. :)As for the problem with the Rotary Grater, try moving the handle back and forth instead of round and round. That will cut your shreds so they won't be too long. Making that switch worked wonders for me.

ChefPaulaB said:
What do you use it for? I've used it once (not a huge avocado person), would be nice to know other uses...

I use it for kiwi (just like you would for an avocado)
Winter Squash - I cut it in half, hollow it out and bake it. Then it's really easy to peel it away from the skin using the avocado peeler.

We like twice baked potatoes and twice baked sweet potatoes. Once they are baked, let them cool a bit and then use the avocado peeler to hollow out the skins. Works like a charm every time!

I sell a lot of Finger Guards. Most of them are purchased as gifts for klutzy friends.I love the Herb Keeper. I probably use it more for celery than herbs. I know I sell more of them for asparagus than herbs. I just mentioned to someone last week that the Avacado Peeler is perfect for stone fruits like peaches and nectarines.

raebates said:
The Measure, Mix & Pour gets my vote for under-rated. Our son uses it for scrambling eggs. It's great for mixing up anything small. It's very versatile.

I'd have to say the Jar Opener is a bit over-rated. It just doesn't work as well as the Easy Opener. I've sold a few, but it's not my favorite product.

The Ice Cream Sandwich Maker strikes me as unnecessary, but you didn't offer that as a category. :)

As for the problem with the Rotary Grater, try moving the handle back and forth instead of round and round. That will cut your shreds so they won't be too long. Making that switch worked wonders for me.

I've tried moving it back and forth, but it still ain't working for me.

I'm gonna go edit the post to include an unnecessary category. :)

raebates said:
I sell a lot of Finger Guards. Most of them are purchased as gifts for klutzy friends.

I love the Herb Keeper. I probably use it more for celery than herbs. I know I sell more of them for asparagus than herbs.

I just mentioned to someone last week that the Avacado Peeler is perfect for stone fruits like peaches and nectarines.

I love that tip for the herb keeper!!

wadesgirl said:
I love that tip for the herb keeper!!

I agree - great tip about the celery!!!

Do you keep the lid off?

Okay, don't hate me, but I'm going to say it... I hate the mix n chop. Phew. Okay, there, I said it. It just doesn't do it for me, I guess. It doesn't come clean in my dishwasher. Little chunks of raw meat move up on it and won't come down to mix with the rest of the party in the pan. :D Maybe I should go back to using what I used to and see if I still feel the same way, though. :)

Under-rated: The core and more. I got it for my summer shows, where I was using alot of strawberries, and found that I LOVE it. It makes it so much faster than using a knife to cut out the hull and less waste than just slicing the whole end off. Also use it for tomatoes (getting the end out, and also halving and removing the seeds), and de-seeding winter squash and melons.

Over rated: I think I'd agree with the food chopper. I love it for nuts, but anything else, give me a knife. Oh, or maybe

Unnecessary: Napkin rings, window pane linens, dessert plates, micro-cookers (at least to me - I can put so many other things in the microwave, I don't get why I need something special...

babywings76 said:
Okay, don't hate me, but I'm going to say it... I hate the mix n chop. Phew. Okay, there, I said it. It just doesn't do it for me, I guess. It doesn't come clean in my dishwasher. Little chunks of raw meat move up on it and won't come down to mix with the rest of the party in the pan. :D Maybe I should go back to using what I used to and see if I still feel the same way, though. :)

I agree about the Mix 'n Chop. I love that it breaks things up fast, but the raw meat does go up in the crevices and it gets annoying!

AnnieBee said:
Under-rated: The core and more. I got it for my summer shows, where I was using alot of strawberries, and found that I LOVE it. It makes it so much faster than using a knife to cut out the hull and less waste than just slicing the whole end off. Also use it for tomatoes (getting the end out, and also halving and removing the seeds), and de-seeding winter squash and melons.

Over rated: I think I'd agree with the food chopper. I love it for nuts, but anything else, give me a knife. Oh, or maybe

Unnecessary: Napkin rings, window pane linens, dessert plates, micro-cookers (at least to me - I can put so many other things in the microwave, I don't get why I need something special...

At first I didn't get what the big deal was with the microcookers. I mean, can't you just use the batter bowl or prep bowls to melt things in. (If you use it mainly for those things, anyway) But then I realized how hot those bowls get sometimes and the microcooker doesn't hurt my hands when I take it out of the microwave.

AnnieBee said:

I love this too! I use this to pull the baked potato away from the skin when I make twice-baked. I sell a lot of them specifically for that reason! Also, I love it to deseed jalapeno peppers, which I do a lot b/c I make the one-bowl salsa A LOT! Also good for getting the leftover pointy things when you peel a pineapple (won't be necessary with the new pineapple gizmo though) and taking the eyes out of potatoes.

raebates said:
The Measure, Mix & Pour gets my vote for under-rated. Our son uses it for scrambling eggs. It's great for mixing up anything small. It's very versatile.

I never thought about making scrambled eggs like that - I love that idea. Mine has been sitting in the box, lonely and unopened.

Under-rated: Our kitchen towels! LOVE them, only have PC towels in my kitchen.
Mini-Muffin Pan. I use it about once a week.

Over-rated: Mix n' chop. I really don't like or use it :(
Food chopper. I use mine for nuts and that's it!!

AnnieBee said:

LOVE it!:love:

I think I made melon balls for a week straight right after I got mine! I'd always wanted to be able to make melon balls, but was never able to until I got my Core and More!

raebates said:
I sell a lot of Finger Guards. Most of them are purchased as gifts for klutzy friends.

I love the Herb Keeper. I probably use it more for celery than herbs. I know I sell more of them for asparagus than herbs.

Thanks Rae for the celery idea!!;)

For me personally, I agree with Food Chopper as over-rated. But I still use it at shows and recommend it to customers because many people aren't as handy with a knife as I am (and I'm just lazy - in the time it takes me to peel and chunk an onion to fit in the FC, I can have it completely diced with the Santoku).My vote for under-rated changes depending on what I've been using a lot lately. But I think I'll go with the Can Opener. So many people poo-pooh it because it's just a can opener. But I love how the lid doesn't fall into the can, and that the edges are safer (not just for me, but for recycling center workers who may handle the cans later).

I think there are several under and over rated things, but for the life of my their names will not come to mind right now!

I agree with many of the ones that have been posted.

chefann said:
My vote for under-rated changes depending on what I've been using a lot lately. But I think I'll go with the Can Opener. So many people poo-pooh it because it's just a can opener. But I love how the lid doesn't fall into the can, and that the edges are safer (not just for me, but for recycling center workers who may handle the cans later).

I LOVE the can opener!!!

And I use my salad choppers to chop anything that they will wrap around instead of the chopper.

can opener- I hated it since day one!!

raebates said:

I'd have to say the Jar Opener is a bit over-rated. It just doesn't work as well as the Easy Opener. I've sold a few, but it's not my favorite product.

The Ice Cream Sandwich Maker strikes me as unnecessary, but you didn't offer that as a category. :)

As for the problem with the Rotary Grater, try moving the handle back and forth instead of round and round. That will cut your shreds so they won't be too long. Making that switch worked wonders for me.

I am so glad this is finally being discontinued! Though, my host for Friday told me all she really wants to get is this! Seriously??? Is it really so hard to pick up two cookies and put some ice cream between them? Oh well, I'll take the show, gladly!

I hate the mandoline.
I love the Mix N Chop.

babywings76 said:

I just fainted!

I LOVE my Mix N Chop. BUT I only use it after the meat has been cooked. It works way better if you wait!! Plus, I also use it for mashed potatoes and guac.

I add water to my hamburger then use the mix n chop while its cooking... makes a HUGE difference in how it works! I use my mix n chop a couple times a week. Also, if you put whole tomatoes in a dish and want them chopped, instead of cutting them up first, add them to the dish whole, and then while cooking them chop a couple times with it and it dices the tomatoes in the pan!

Oh man, I love my mix n chop and my food chopper. I'm a klutz and don't really like using a knife to dice things.

I love using the Mix-n-Chop for making guacamole also. I've broken two pastry blenders now, but the mix-n-chop never fails! It's also great for breaking up hard-boiled eggs for potato salad or egg salad. I'm a big fan. My DH, however, hates it as some of you do -- b/c it doesn't always come clean easily.

And, the food chopper is WHY I became a consultant! It didn't even come in the kit back then -- I knew I would earn it in my first month! I actually have 3 of these, and when we vacation somewhere with a kitchen, one goes with us.

You guys who only use the chopper for nuts are really missing out.

Just today I used it to make chicken salad. I chopped the chicken, onion, celery ...and nuts in no time. I use the knives a lot but when I need things chopped small I always reach for the chopper. And put me down as one who loves the Coating Trays.

Under-rated: Serrated Peeler, Parchment Paper, Baster & Cleaning Brush, our seasonings.

Over-rated: Dripless Pourer/Stopper, Drink Charms, Gravy Separator, Sheet Pans (I sure hope they don't change the finish of our other baking pans - Torte, Springform, Cake - to that finish.), Pie Crust Shield and the BBQ Basting Bottle.

Sheet Pans!!!!! Really Beth??? I love ours !

BethCooks4U said:

Just today I used it to make chicken salad. I chopped the chicken, onion, celery ...and nuts in no time. I use the knives a lot but when I need things chopped small I always reach for the chopper. And put me down as one who loves the Coating Trays.

Under-rated: Serrated Peeler, Parchment Paper, Baster & Cleaning Brush, our seasonings.

Over-rated: Dripless Pourer/Stopper, Drink Charms, Gravy Separator, Sheet Pans (I sure hope they don't change the finish of our other baking pans - Torte, Springform, Cake - to that finish.), Pie Crust Shield and the BBQ Basting Bottle.

Wow! I love this thing!

BethCooks4U said:

I love the coating trays also. If I'm not coating breaded chicken, it's french toast. Better than using a bowl.

rennea said:
Sheet Pans!!!!! Really Beth??? I love ours !

Really. I used one of them once when they first came out and didn't like the results - food stuck (yes I did "grease" the pan) and hard to clean.

Now, to be fair, I have used nothing but stoneware for things you would make on a sheet pan for over 20 years so I would have to relearn how to do it - and I just don't want to. I have sold some though and I will carry the small sheet pan when I get it (the others add too much weight).

Underrated -
SALAD CHOPPER

OMG they are the best since sliced bread I have sold tons. and at $25 a pop it adds up.

I never use it for salad...I make salsa, fruit salsa, chopped chicken for salads, bbq chicken:thumbup: sanwiches, tuna..everything in one bowl!
LOVE them!!!

BethCooks4U said:

Love love love!!!:love:

To answer the question, yes, I use the lid when I keep celery in the Herb Keeper. It really does keep longer.I think this thread is the perfect example of what I tell people. Because I'm known as someone very open and honest, people often ask me what PC products I don't like. Here's my response:All of our products are valuable, high-quality tools that work well, but each of us is different. Most of the products suit my style, but a few don't. There are lots of people, though, who love the products that don't suit me. What's great about PC is that if you try a product and realize it doesn't suit your style you can return it.

Underrated: I will have to say the salad choppers, too! It's my favorite thing! Combine that with the DCB...I take frozen chicken breast, thaw it in the microwave on the small bar pan, then bake them for a few minutes in the DCB, and then chop with the food chopper. It's amazing what you can make!

Overrated: I may get flamed for this, but....BAMBOO. Someone please educate me! I've heard all the hype, read all the product info...I just don't get it. Someone give me some real-life stories about bamboo!

Ok, on the mix 'n chop rinse it with scalding water BEFORE you put it into the dishwasher. I've never had a problem with it being clean since I do that.

Over-rated: wine bottle opener, ALL of the knives w/ honing cases, stupid new kitchen shears, cutting board w/ meas. cups, cut 'n seal, pinch bowls (cute, but c'mon, do you seriously use them??), scoop clip, adj. meas. cup - you still have to use a scraper to get the stuff at the top out - go for the Measure All instead, pocket thermometer (bring back the digital one), Mix 'n Masher (why??), cookie press, easy accent dec., silicone bakeware. Gee, is that all????!!! :)

Under-rated: Salad Spinner, microfiber towels, ALL spices, Simple Additions, corn cob knobs and corn butterer, Microplane grater, Meat Tenderizer, Kitchen Spritzer, Flexible Funnels, S.S. flat whisk, drainer, ALL of the chef's tools, silicone basting brush. Guess that's enough!!!

Jessamary said:
Overrated: I may get flamed for this, but....BAMBOO. Someone please educate me! I've heard all the hype, read all the product info...I just don't get it. Someone give me some real-life stories about bamboo!

Why I love the bamboo:

• It's beautiful.
  • You can put the spoons and such in the dishwasher.
  • The spoons and such don't split or get icky and slimy over time like wood.
  • Bamboo is a quickly renewable resource, so it's kind to the planet.

I don't have much trouble with raw meat getting stuck in the Mix N Chop. It looks like it's collecting there at first, but as I continue to use it the meat dislodges.

c00p said:
Ok, on the mix 'n chop rinse it with scalding water BEFORE you put it into the dishwasher. I've never had a problem with it being clean since I do that.

Over-rated: wine bottle opener, ALL of the knives w/ honing cases, stupid new kitchen shears, cutting board w/ meas. cups, cut 'n seal, pinch bowls (cute, but c'mon, do you seriously use them??), scoop clip, adj. meas. cup - you still have to use a scraper to get the stuff at the top out - go for the Measure All instead, pocket thermometer (bring back the digital one), Mix 'n Masher (why??), cookie press, easy accent dec., silicone bakeware. Gee, is that all????!!! :)

Under-rated: Salad Spinner, microfiber towels, ALL spices, Simple Additions, corn cob knobs and corn butterer, Microplane grater, Meat Tenderizer, Kitchen Spritzer, Flexible Funnels, S.S. flat whisk, drainer, ALL of the chef's tools, silicone basting brush. Guess that's enough!!!

Wow, you don't like a lot of good stuff. I love the wine bottle opener, love the kitchen shears (but I wasn't here for the old ones), just discovered the pocket thermometer and love it! (again, wasn't here for the digital, I think that I would love them both), like the mix 'n masher, and love the EAD, and the cookie press is pretty cool, although I don't use it a lot... pretty much love everything on you're under-rated list too (LOVE the Salad Spinner!)... maybe I just love everything! I'm a PC junkie, that's why I'm now a consultant, I guess!

c00p said:

1. Love the mix 'n masher! It's great for not only potatoes, but also making guacamole, AND it makes a great pastry blender for making pie dough!

2. Gotta agree about the adjustable measuring cup, especially the big one! I'd love to have a PC measuring cup that I can scoop in my sugar container.

3. I've never actually used my pinch bowls.

Jessamary said:
Underrated: I will have to say the salad choppers, too! It's my favorite thing! Combine that with the DCB...I take frozen chicken breast, thaw it in the microwave on the small bar pan, then bake them for a few minutes in the DCB, and then chop with the food chopper. It's amazing what you can make!

Just wondering, why don't you thaw the frozen chicken breasts in the DCB and cook at the same time? I'm pretty sure that you can do that and not have to use another stone and save time... just a thought...
Oh, I do love bamboo, just because I think it's beautiful and I love that it's a re-newable resource and it really is better than wood.

Bamboo - it's "perty"!!! And like Rae said, it doesn't split like wood does.

<h2>1. What is the most under-rated product from Pampered Chef?</h2><p>The Handy Scraper is often overlooked, but it's a versatile tool that can be used for scraping, transferring ingredients, and even cleaning counters.</p><h2>2. Which product from Pampered Chef is considered over-rated?</h2><p>Many customers find the Rotary Grater to be over-rated, as the long strands it produces can be difficult to work with and clean up afterwards.</p><h2>3. What does it mean when a Pampered Chef product is considered unnecessary?</h2><p>An unnecessary product is one that may not be essential for cooking or may have limited use compared to other products in the catalog.</p><h2>4. Can you recommend a product that is both under-rated and over-rated?</h2><p>The Measure-All Cup is a product that seems to have mixed reviews - some customers love it for its versatility, while others find it to be too bulky and unnecessary in their kitchen.</p><h2>5. Is there a product that you think is completely unnecessary from Pampered Chef?</h2><p>In my opinion, the oven pad is an unnecessary product. A regular oven mitt can do the same job, and there is no need for an extra item in the kitchen.</p>

1. What is the most under-rated product from Pampered Chef?

The Handy Scraper is often overlooked, but it's a versatile tool that can be used for scraping, transferring ingredients, and even cleaning counters.

2. Which product from Pampered Chef is considered over-rated?

Many customers find the Rotary Grater to be over-rated, as the long strands it produces can be difficult to work with and clean up afterwards.

3. What does it mean when a Pampered Chef product is considered unnecessary?

An unnecessary product is one that may not be essential for cooking or may have limited use compared to other products in the catalog.

4. Can you recommend a product that is both under-rated and over-rated?

The Measure-All Cup is a product that seems to have mixed reviews - some customers love it for its versatility, while others find it to be too bulky and unnecessary in their kitchen.

5. Is there a product that you think is completely unnecessary from Pampered Chef?

In my opinion, the oven pad is an unnecessary product. A regular oven mitt can do the same job, and there is no need for an extra item in the kitchen.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
KitchenSmellzSmokey
  • kdangel518
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Jen1409
  • Pampered Chef Rachel