• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cheese Grater Woes: Overcoming Frustration with Grating Cheese

In summary, the author mentions that they avoid recipes that require grating cheese because they haven't found a good product and suggests using pre-grated cheese instead. They also mention that if they have to grate cheese for a show, they use the Deluxe Grater on the UM, but use a different blade for grinding at home.
Jillmami
So I seem to avoid recipes that require grating cheese since I haven't found the right product to really make it easy. I do like the rotary cheese grater but for a LOT of cheese not so good. I know the UM has the grater on it but it doesn't really seem to make it easier. Is it just me? If you have good experiences with grating cheese, I'd love the pep talk! LOL

I just tell my hosts to buy pre-grated. :eek:

The only time I demo grating cheese is if I'm grating a hard cheese like Parmesan.

I often ask for pre-grated as well. I found it interesting that the first 29 Minutes to Dinner cookbook actually suggested that in the tips to save time.

If you do want to use block cheese, I use the MAG for things like parmesan and the DCG for smaller chunks. If I have more, I use the grater attachment on the UM, but I don't use the food holder. I use it more like a box grater. The surface for grating isn't as large as a regular box grater of course, but it works better that way.

I personally don't like how long the strands of cheese are that you get from the rotary grater..and I have even tried to go back and forth with it..so I just use bags of pre grated cheese for shows..but my boyfriend and I use the rotary grater at home all the time

I agree ChefHeidi, the strings are long.

I can't even think if anyone has an easier 'cheese shredder' device.

If I have to grate cheese for a show and the Deluxe Grater isn't right for the job because of the "long strings"...I use the UM. BUT, I don't use the Food Slider with that particular blade (and ONLY that blade). I just use the UM Cheese Grater like I would a Box Grater. It is alot easier.Normally at home, I use a box grater, so this is a good second for me- at a show or at home.

1. How do I prevent cheese from sticking to the grater?

One way to prevent cheese from sticking to the grater is to freeze the cheese for about 15 minutes before grating. This will make the cheese firmer and less likely to stick. You can also lightly coat the grater with cooking spray or oil before using it.

2. What is the best type of cheese grater to use?

The best type of cheese grater to use depends on personal preference and the type of cheese you are grating. For softer cheeses, a microplane or rotary grater may work well, while a box grater is better for harder cheeses. It's also important to choose a grater with sharp blades and a comfortable handle for easier use.

3. How can I make the grating process faster?

One way to make grating cheese faster is to use a food processor with a grating attachment. This will save time and effort, especially when grating large amounts of cheese. Another option is to purchase pre-shredded cheese, although it may be more expensive than grating it yourself.

4. How do I clean a cheese grater?

Cleaning a cheese grater can be a tedious task, but there are a few tricks to make it easier. You can use a toothbrush or a small cleaning brush to remove any cheese stuck in between the grater's blades. Another method is to soak the grater in warm, soapy water for a few minutes before scrubbing it with a sponge or brush.

5. What should I do if my cheese grater becomes dull?

If your cheese grater becomes dull, you can try sharpening the blades with a sharpening stone or a fine-grit sandpaper. Another option is to replace the grater with a new one. It's important to regularly clean and maintain your grater to prevent it from becoming dull in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefjeanine
  • emiscookin
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • Windy City Pampered Chef