• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Molten Chocolate Mini Cakes Question...

In summary, the problem with these cakes was that they were overcooked, which caused them to lack "molten-ness."
LeslieSGI
Gold Member
Since I am fairly new, I had never made the molten chocolate mini cakes before but since they are on the Merrill calendars for February and I have the silicone floral cupcake pan I decided to make them over the weekend for some of my friends who got the calendars for Christmas. I thought the cakes were "OK" but I expected them to be FABULOUS. I followed the recipe EXACTLY and used Ghirardelli chocolate; however, I decided to use UNSALTED butter instead of lightly salted since it did not specify. Was that a mistake on my part? Should I try these again or write them off?​

Was the problem flavor or were the cakes not molten enough?

Actually both but the lack of "molten-ness" was totally my fault since I let them cook about a minute longer than I should have.

I just did not think the flavor was quite right and I wondered if I had used SALTED butter, would they have been better? Or are they just like that?​

I never did get that "molten-ness" from that recipe. I guess try to take it out sooner, and double check your oven temp, it may be too hot. You can check the cake with the pocket thermometer, but I am not sure what temperature it should be, it seems like it said in the recipe. The flavor is good though, maybe a big glob of hot fudge sauce on top would help. Hehe.
Deb

Try again using salted butter. Chocolate needs a touch of salt.

That's what I was afraid of. I will make them at last once more using salted butter next time. In the interest of science doncha know! ;)

I have a question about this recipe. I made it once, but apparently cooked it too long, as it was just a "chocolate cake", no molting at all!!
I would love to make it again, but was wondering, if I do achieve the desired molten-middle, will it stay that way for awhile? I mean, like if I baked it tonight and brought them to work tomorrow??? I'm guessing not, but, like others said, it is on the calendar, which is on my office door, so I thought it'd be great to share as well!!

So...how long will the "molten" part last???
Paula

Since MOST of mine over cooked, I can't really say BUT I don't think they would be nearly as good. The few overcooked ones that I had leftover aren't nearly as good now as they were Saturday night when they were fresh out of the oven.​

Thanks for starting this thread, I was considering making these for my open house but couldnt for the life of me understand how the lava would flow. I thought you'd inject the middle at the end, but it isn't that way.......hmm....

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone ever got these quite right. I've tried to make them 4 times and none of the were right! Once they were overcooked and had no molten center at all! The other times they were too underdone. The first time I made them I might as well have just served hot batter to hubby and I! This time was close, but still just fell apart into a plate of gooey chocolate when put on the plate. I love these cake in restaurants and think they'd be really impressive to serve to guests if I could get them right!

What ingredients do I need to make Molten Chocolate Mini Cakes?

To make Molten Chocolate Mini Cakes, you will need the following ingredients:

• 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • Optional: powdered sugar or ice cream for serving

Can I make Molten Chocolate Mini Cakes in advance?

Yes, you can make the batter for Molten Chocolate Mini Cakes in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. When ready to bake, let the batter come to room temperature before baking in the oven. You can also bake the cakes and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds before serving.

What type of pan should I use to make Molten Chocolate Mini Cakes?

We recommend using a mini bundt pan or a mini muffin pan to make Molten Chocolate Mini Cakes. These types of pans are the perfect size and shape for these cakes. Make sure to grease the pan well before adding the batter to prevent the cakes from sticking.

How do I know when Molten Chocolate Mini Cakes are done baking?

The edges of the cakes should be set and the centers should still be slightly jiggly when done. The top of the cakes may also have a crack on the surface. The baking time may vary depending on the type of pan you use, so it's best to check the cakes a few minutes before the recommended baking time is up.

Can I use a different type of chocolate instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips?

Yes, you can use other types of chocolate such as dark chocolate or milk chocolate in place of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Just make sure to adjust the amount of sugar added to the recipe accordingly, as different types of chocolate have different levels of sweetness.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ejleinenbach
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ejleinenbach
  • Kelly8
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • chefann