• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Super Yummy Orange Chocolate Chunk Cake

In summary, the recipe is delicious and easy to make. The mini-fluted pan is a great addition to the recipe and makes it easier to fit the cake into the pan. The ganache is also delicious and well worth the extra chocolate.
AnnieBee
Gold Member
I posted this recipe before, as a potential one for the mini-fluted pans and fluted pan. It seemed to make sense to re-post it with the actual recipe name in the thread title :). I can now happily report that this recipe is AWESOME!!! I made it yesterday for my youth group, and despite the very low turn out, it was demolished. It is really orangey, and so good, even without the ganache. I also used choc chips instead of chunks.

Anyway, a couple of things to note... I made it in a 10-cup fancy bundt pan (sorry, I don't have the fluted pan :( ), and it did not fill the pan. I re-made it today for a bake sale, but this time I made 1 1/2 times the recipe, and used the 10-cup pan but also put a small amount into 2 tiny loaf pans. I think that this quantity (1 1/2 times recipe) would probably be perfect for the fluted pan which is 11 cups, or a "normal" 12-cup bundt type pan. I think that the original size recipe would work really well for the mini-fluted pans. If anyone tries it, please let us all know!

Anyway, here it is again:
Barefoot Contessa's Mini Orange Chocolate Chunk Cake

Ingredients

1/4lb (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1/8 cup gratedorange zest (2 large oranges)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
3 ounces buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup good semi-sweet chocolate chunks

For the syrup
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh orange juice

For the ganache
4 ounces good semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 6 individual serving baking molds.

Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, then the orange zest. Sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine the orange juice, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately in thirds to the creamed butter, beginning and ending with the flour. Toss the chocolate chunks with 1 tablespoon flour and add to the batter. Pour into the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 30 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the molds on a wire rack for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the syrup. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, cook the sugar with the orange juice until the sugar dissolves. Remove the cake from the pans, put them on a rack over a tray, and spoon the orange syrup over the cakes. Allow the cakes to cool completely.

For the ganache, melt the chocolate, heavy cream, and coffee in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally. Drizzle over the top of the cakes.

Sounds super delicious...but I am on Weight Watchers...so I will just have to save some points up! LOL

Ohhhhh, that sounds soooo good! I love chocolate and orange together. Maybe I'll have to try this for Easter!

That looks really yummy. Thanks for sharing!

Sounds yummy!! Thanks for sharing!:)

I made it in the mini-fluted panAnnabel, I just made this recipe... couldn't resist the classic combo. Orange and chocolate is one of my favorites. I did it in the mini-pan and it made 5 good sized cakes. They are the perfect size for a bakery and the most delicious little "nibblets" ! Thanks for sharing this recipe! I added a tsp anise seed for a little subtle change. Beautiful! Thanks again! I hope everybody else tries it as well!

Stephanie, I'm glad you liked them - I just love orange and chocolate together. Thanks for letting me know about the mini-fluted. I am just dying to get those pans... and trying to resist... LOL :)

Did you bother making the ganache? So far I haven't, they are really so good with just the syrup (and believe me, I LOVE choc :love: :) !). I might do it for special dessert though. What do you think? Is the extra chocolate worth it?

Bakery worthy for sure!Is extra chocolate worth it... well, since I am in need of serious counseling on my obsession with the stuff, I would be the worst person to ask. I did make the ganache minus the coffee. The mocha would be pretty popular. The only ones here to eat the cakes right now are my 8yr old and my 5yr old. The ganache shined up beautifully and was a good contrast to the orange cake. Perfect! It made the prettiest little cakes! Just an added bonus was that the mini fluted molds don't have a hole in the middle, so the ganache pooled a little there and made a truffle like center. I had to maximize on that and topped it with more French Chocolate chunks, and chopped cashews. I wish I had a digital camera. My oh my. These will be a pretty addition to my bakery, I hope you don't mind me hijacking the recipe, but the flavor and texture are perfect!

Hey Steph, hi-jack away! If I was anywhere near Arizona I'd HAVE to stop by and sample your variation!! BTW, I have always had great success with Barefoot Contessa recipes, so if you're ever looking for a recipe, definitely try her out! (And not just for baking - although that is what I love to do the most).

I've really got to get out of here and do some housework...

I just bought heavy cream and some more oranges so I can make this for Easter. I'm going to do them in the mini fluted pans like Stephanie, but minus the Anise......I just don't like Anise.:yuck: (or Fennel....or anything else remotely licorice-like)

AnnieBee said:
Stephanie, I'm glad you liked them - I just love orange and chocolate together. Thanks for letting me know about the mini-fluted. I am just dying to get those pans... and trying to resist... LOL :)

The Mini Fluted is definately worth the $8 it costs on the Outlet!!:thumbup:

1. What ingredients are needed to make the Super Yummy Orange Chocolate Chunk Cake?

The ingredients for this delicious cake include all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, unsalted butter, eggs, vanilla extract, orange zest, orange juice, milk, and chocolate chunks.

2. Can I use a different type of chocolate instead of chunks?

Yes, you can use any type of chocolate that you prefer. You can use chocolate chips, chopped chocolate bars, or even white chocolate for a twist on the original recipe.

3. How long does it take to bake this cake?

The baking time for the Super Yummy Orange Chocolate Chunk Cake is approximately 35-40 minutes. However, it's always a good idea to check the cake with a toothpick to ensure it is fully cooked before removing it from the oven.

4. Can I substitute the orange zest for something else?

Yes, you can substitute the orange zest for lemon zest or lime zest if you prefer. You can also omit the zest altogether if you do not have any citrus fruits on hand.

5. Can I make this cake ahead of time?

Yes, you can make this cake ahead of time. The cake can be stored at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the fridge for up to a week. You can also freeze the cake for up to 3 months. Just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or foil before freezing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies