• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Legally Changing a Child's Name: How and Where to Start?

In summary, you can legally change your child's name as long as you have a valid reason and follow the proper legal process. The first step is to fill out a petition for name change and file it with the court in the county where you and your child reside. In most cases, both parents will need to agree to the name change by signing the petition. You will need to provide a certified copy of your child's birth certificate, your current photo ID, and any other relevant documents. The length of the process can vary, but it typically takes a few weeks to a few months. It is recommended to consult with a lawyer for a more accurate timeline.
ChefJesssica
Has anyone ever legally changed their name? Can you change your child's name? My husband REALLY wants to change our son's middle name and I was just wondering how one goes about doing this. I don't even kow where to start!

You can change his middle name, try contacting your county courthouse and look into it there. That's where they do it in Indiana.

Hope that helps!

pamperedtraci said:
You can change his middle name, try contacting your county courthouse and look into it there. That's where they do it in Indiana.

Hope that helps!

What if he was born in a different state? Do you think I need to contact the city he was born in or the city in which we live now?

Probably where the birth certificate is on record, which would be where he was born. All 3 of my kids were born in a different county & that's where I have to go to get copies of birth certificates. The county we live in doesn't have them on record & we've always lived here.

*** ETA Now that I think about it, when I was adopted, it was a different county than where I was born & my name changed. So, scratch what I said above & check with your local courthouse. If nothing else, they'll tell you what you need to do.

Last edited:
I would start with your local clerks office. They should be able to send you in the right direction.

Related to Legally Changing a Child's Name: How and Where to Start?

1. Can I legally change my child's name?

Yes, you can legally change your child's name as long as you have a valid reason and follow the proper legal process.

2. What is the first step in changing my child's name?

The first step is to fill out a petition for name change and file it with the court in the county where you and your child reside.

3. Do both parents have to agree to the name change?

In most cases, yes. Both parents will need to sign the petition and agree to the name change. However, if one parent is absent or cannot be located, you may still be able to change your child's name with the court's approval.

4. What documents do I need to provide for the name change?

You will need to provide a certified copy of your child's birth certificate, your current photo ID, and any other relevant documents such as a divorce decree or custody agreement. You may also need to provide a reason for the name change, such as a desire to have the same last name as the rest of the family.

5. How long does the name change process take?

The length of the process can vary depending on your state's laws and the court's schedule. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. It is best to consult with a lawyer for a more accurate timeline.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
LibrarianChef
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat