• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Far Is to Far for a Recent/Past Host/Guest?

In summary, the conversation was about how much effort each person puts into helping their customers. One person mentioned going above and beyond to take care of their customers, while another mentioned providing excellent customer service but not taking responsibility for sending items back. The conversation also touched on the issue of warranties and returns, with one person mentioning having to deal with customers who were misled about the warranty policy.
prissylovescooking
Silver Member
I had a question for everyone. How far do you go for your customers? For example, when a show has been received by the host and there is something missing or broken or whatever, they will call me and I do the work for them. My recruiter says I'm doing too much for my host; however, I look at myself and see how do I love to be taken care of? I'm not saying that HO isn't good at what they do, but I've gotten a few bad apples in the past and they are no help at all. So anyways even if they call months down the line and say nevermind I didn't like this or that I take care of it. I just feel bad because we are providing a service and I want to make sure that they are taken care of. My name is out there and I don't need people to bash it because I didn't want to help them.

How many of you just let your host take care of their own problems and how many of you go above and beyond for your hosts?

I am always happy to file and adjustment and forward the response on to the customer,whether it is a host or a guest within the first 30 days. After that time, I provide the phone number for them to call, but still do it sometimes for them. I never take responsibility for sending the items back in for them. I then tell them to be sure and let me know if they haven't received their items or still have a problem and I'd be happy to check up on it for them. I try to always provide excellent customer service, and my customers know that.

I process the adjustment for them and forward the return authorization to them. I do not however take the item to send back. I leave it up to my customer to mail their returns, etc. If their purchase was not through me and they have no receipt, I do give them the HO number to call.

gailz2 said:
I am always happy to file and adjustment and forward the response on to the customer,whether it is a host or a guest within the first 30 days. After that time, I provide the phone number for them to call, but still do it sometimes for them. I never take responsibility for sending the items back in for them. I then tell them to be sure and let me know if they haven't received their items or still have a problem and I'd be happy to check up on it for them. I try to always provide excellent customer service, and my customers know that.

Thank you! I do see your point not to send back the item. If something goes wrong then it comes out of my pocket. I guess I don't want to "lose" any of my customers. I need to rethink some to my actions when it comes to cs for my customers. :)

Bren706 said:
I process the adjustment for them and forward the return authorization to them. I do not however take the item to send back. I leave it up to my customer to mail their returns, etc. If their purchase was not through me and they have no receipt, I do give them the HO number to call.

I haven't had a non-customer per say ask me to fix something that was wrong, but thank you for the reminder that I may have some of those who went to a party sometime back and then need help returning something or whatever. Thank you for your input!:)

I'll get the return started for anyone who asks, if it's possible. My customers, of course I know whether it's under warranty or not. Other consultant's cusotmers, I ask when they bought it and if they know the consultant's or host's name. Then I tell them the RA & return address.

They need to ship it back, though, if it needs to go back. Also - I've never had HO ask questions about how it failed. If they did, I'd tell the customer they need to call HO.

I really haven't had to do many returns with ~my~ customers. Other consultant's customers, it has always turned out their item is no longer under warranty. But, they were under the impression PC products had a lifetime gurantee on everything because some doofy consultant told them that...only one lady got kinda nasty about being "lied to" (as she put it). Over a $4 mini spatula that was so old it had a wooden handle. I confess, I laughed at her and told her no company would stay in business replacing stuff like that. And what a fine kitchen tool it was, to have lasted over 10 years. She ended up agreeing with me and ordered a new one :thumbup:

I have tried a little bit of it all, and have had several customers who thought everything had a life time guarantee. I have felt bullied by guests who demand I pay for returned items, or expect me to make sure everything is done for them. There is just no pleasing some people, and I have finally decided to let them go. My last issue with a woman who was very upset that she missed out on the March bonus item because I couldn't get the host to call me back or close her show until April 20th. She received the April bonus item instead, and called me in a rage and why should she "suffer" and I ought to buy her the item. She called me in the middle of a migraine, along with the same week my uncle died. I offered her first the HO number (after I had already talked to them about it). I knew they wouldn't do anything for her. I called her again last week with the idea that if she would like to host a party, I would give her the item as a free gift. She was not as angry at that point (the first time she called she seemed barely to control her rage) but she strongly declined. I realize I will not likely get any business from her again, but part of me gets a little miffed at being told what I have to do to make a guest happy. I have done a few returns for guests after the 30 day mark, and I don't mind doing it on occasion, but I am getting the feeling I need to be consistent and make the choice to either do it all the time, or not do it at all. Word gets around, and I have already had to deal with "You did it for this OTHER person," when I had some extra resources and was feeling more generous. So one act of kindness sets up expectations.

ShellBeach said:
I'll get the return started for anyone who asks, if it's possible. My customers, of course I know whether it's under warranty or not. Other consultant's cusotmers, I ask when they bought it and if they know the consultant's or host's name. Then I tell them the RA & return address.

They need to ship it back, though, if it needs to go back. Also - I've never had HO ask questions about how it failed. If they did, I'd tell the customer they need to call HO.

I really haven't had to do many returns with ~my~ customers. Other consultant's customers, it has always turned out their item is no longer under warranty. But, they were under the impression PC products had a lifetime gurantee on everything because some doofy consultant told them that...only one lady got kinda nasty about being "lied to" (as she put it). Over a $4 mini spatula that was so old it had a wooden handle. I confess, I laughed at her and told her no company would stay in business replacing stuff like that. And what a fine kitchen tool it was, to have lasted over 10 years. She ended up agreeing with me and ordered a new one :thumbup:

That's a good idea about calling in the info to HO and then providing the info to the customer where to return it.

LOL wow that's pretty old! But tbh that is a good tool if it lasted that long! :)

DebsApronStrings said:
I have tried a little bit of it all, and have had several customers who thought everything had a life time guarantee. I have felt bullied by guests who demand I pay for returned items, or expect me to make sure everything is done for them. There is just no pleasing some people, and I have finally decided to let them go. My last issue with a woman who was very upset that she missed out on the March bonus item because I couldn't get the host to call me back or close her show until April 20th. She received the April bonus item instead, and called me in a rage and why should she "suffer" and I ought to buy her the item. She called me in the middle of a migraine, along with the same week my uncle died. I offered her first the HO number (after I had already talked to them about it). I knew they wouldn't do anything for her. I called her again last week with the idea that if she would like to host a party, I would give her the item as a free gift. She was not as angry at that point (the first time she called she seemed barely to control her rage) but she strongly declined. I realize I will not likely get any business from her again, but part of me gets a little miffed at being told what I have to do to make a guest happy.

I have done a few returns for guests after the 30 day mark, and I don't mind doing it on occasion, but I am getting the feeling I need to be consistent and make the choice to either do it all the time, or not do it at all. Word gets around, and I have already had to deal with "You did it for this OTHER person," when I had some extra resources and was feeling more generous. So one act of kindness sets up expectations.

I'm sorry. So far I haven't had an enraged customer, but what did happen was my Aunt did a party for me in April. Her show was off another host. The previous host wanted the Bamboo Fiber Mixing Bowls as the host special; however, my Aunt's show was only at $150 and she really wanted to get the DCB for free or 50%. I told her ok. She was taking forever to get me any info so here I am today and she still hasn't closed her show! :yuck: Well I'm going to have to dish out the rest of the money to cover the previous host order (Bamboo Bowls) because my Aunt hasn't finished her show. Never again will I do this for anyone..that's $24 bucks out of my pocket.

I guess I have to work on being "too nice" and set my ground rules...or whatever.

I will process the return call to Ho and forward return information, unless there are questions from HO, then I have the customer call. I do this to provide good customer service...i know for me, when i have to ship things back to return, I get lazy/busy and forget to do it. This way, my customers get what they need and all they need to do is ship, no calls, etc. I get most of my retuns from care calls. I wouldn't pay to ship the item back, all my customers know that they have 30 days to return for free. If they were to put up a fuss (thankfully it hasnt happened yet) I would probably be ok not having them as a customer anymore..not worth it.

prissylovescooking said:
I'm sorry. So far I haven't had an enraged customer, but what did happen was my Aunt did a party for me in April. Her show was off another host. The previous host wanted the Bamboo Fiber Mixing Bowls as the host special; however, my Aunt's show was only at $150 and she really wanted to get the DCB for free or 50%. I told her ok. She was taking forever to get me any info so here I am today and she still hasn't closed her show! :yuck: Well I'm going to have to dish out the rest of the money to cover the previous host order (Bamboo Bowls) because my Aunt hasn't finished her show. Never again will I do this for anyone..that's $24 bucks out of my pocket.

I guess I have to work on being "too nice" and set my ground rules...or whatever.

Why do you have to pay for the past host special? Did you promise her you would? It isn't your fault the show didn't close when it was supposed to. I would just offer her the current special and if she asks just say "I'm sorry but the party didn't close during the time of that special". She may be just as happy with her new choices.

If a host really wants a special for a certain upcoming month I always tell her that while there is a booking, life happens and it is possible that the show could move. I recommend they get the things they really want with their show benefits. If I learn that the host won't close in time or changes her date I tell that past host and she has the option of putting together a catalog show.

BethCooks4U said:
Why do you have to pay for the past host special? Did you promise her you would? It isn't your fault the show didn't close when it was supposed to. I would just offer her the current special and if she asks just say "I'm sorry but the party didn't close during the time of that special". She may be just as happy with her new choices.

If a host really wants a special for a certain upcoming month I always tell her that while there is a booking, life happens and it is possible that the show could move. I recommend they get the things they really want with their show benefits. If I learn that the host won't close in time or changes her date I tell that past host and she has the option of putting together a catalog show.

To be completely honest...I get scared and feel I'm going to lose that customer. Seriously I know there's tons of fish in the sea and I get scared!:thumbdown::(:eek::confused:

JennyJennJen said:
I will process the return call to Ho and forward return information, unless there are questions from HO, then I have the customer call. I do this to provide good customer service...i know for me, when i have to ship things back to return, I get lazy/busy and forget to do it. This way, my customers get what they need and all they need to do is ship, no calls, etc. I get most of my retuns from care calls. I wouldn't pay to ship the item back, all my customers know that they have 30 days to return for free. If they were to put up a fuss (thankfully it hasnt happened yet) I would probably be ok not having them as a customer anymore..not worth it.

Thanks for the info Jennifer! I'm going to have to change a few things when it comes to my customer service.;)

I usually email it in so I get an email with the ref# and instructions. I then forward that to the customer, letting them know that they need to send it back OR they can drop it off to me and I will send it back. I let them know that I only send one box when it's full, which could take a few weeks. If they're ok waiting for it and only if they drop it off, I will send it back for them. I won't drive all over the city to pick up and drop off returns for people...but I do like to send them back for them...Canada's postal service is quite expensive, so unless someone is sending back something flat that can be an oversized letter (a piece of a stone for example), it costs them a lot of money to send it back....whereas I can send back an entire box of returns for only a dollar or two more.

1. How do I know if I have gone too far as a recent host/guest?

It can sometimes be difficult to determine if you have gone too far as a recent host/guest. One way to gauge this is by considering how your actions may have made the other person feel. If you feel that you have crossed boundaries or made the other person uncomfortable, it is a good indication that you may have gone too far.

2. Is it possible to repair a relationship with a recent host/guest after going too far?

Yes, it is possible to repair a relationship with a recent host/guest after going too far. The first step is to acknowledge and take responsibility for your actions. From there, you can apologize and try to make amends. It may take time and effort, but with open communication and a willingness to make things right, it is possible to repair the relationship.

3. What are some signs that I may have gone too far as a recent host/guest?

Some signs that you may have gone too far as a recent host/guest include the other person expressing discomfort or setting boundaries, feeling guilty or regretful about your actions, and noticing a change in the dynamic of the relationship. It is important to pay attention to these signs and reflect on your behavior to prevent going too far in the future.

4. How can I prevent going too far as a recent host/guest in the future?

To prevent going too far as a recent host/guest in the future, it is important to communicate openly and actively listen to the other person's boundaries and comfort levels. It is also helpful to reflect on your own behavior and set personal boundaries to ensure that you are respectful and considerate of the other person's feelings.

5. What should I do if I feel uncomfortable with a recent host/guest's behavior?

If you feel uncomfortable with a recent host/guest's behavior, it is important to communicate your boundaries and concerns to them. If the behavior continues, it may be necessary to distance yourself from the person and seek support from a trusted friend or family member. It is always important to prioritize your own well-being and safety in any situation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefgirlrd
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • mechelle