• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Keeping Guests (And Hosts) Attention?

In summary, the host lost the attention of their guests and had to resort to methods such as getting the guests involved, highlighting certain PC products, and lowering their voice to get their attention.
KellyRedHead
Hey Everyone! Just got back in from my cooking show I did this evening and I have a question for everyone: How to you keep people's attention??

They were fine (after they finally settled into a seat) for about 5 mins, then I lost them again. Two babies there, kids, maybe about 6 guests. Just didn't want to hear what I had to say after the first 5 and trying to get their attention again was not easy! :(

So how does everyone get their attention again?

Thanks-
Kelly

If I have shows that seem to be lost, I first try getting the guests involved. If that does not work, especially if a very large crowd (the show had 35 guests) I just keep preparing the recipe and figure if something I am doing catches someone's attention they will ask questions.

If the kids can be very distracting. If the host has another room where they can play or watch a dvd that can be helpful.

One of the first things I ask my guests is if they've been to a PC show before, when most of the crowd has, I know I'm not going to keep their attention because they've "heard" it all before. So I try to highlight a few of the more spectacular products, for the newer guest, and ask the guest to throw their opinions in.

I figure there are basically two kinds of show, those who know the products and want to get down to business, and those who aren't as familiar and want the entire pitch. Knowing up front what I've got helps me adapt my pitch ;) and usually end up with a better show.

You could try doing the show naked:eek: Just kidding:D

I try to get everyone together and then have each person say what PC products they have or what PC products are there favorites and why.

You can also pick a word for the night and everytime you say that "word" the person who catches it first give them a clothes peg, the person at the end with the most clothes pegs wins a prize.

Something I've learned from teaching preschool and substitute teaching in elementary school is to LOWER your voice (speaking softer rather than louder will get people's attention). Also I move around the room a bit...step away from the demo table...at different times. It gets their attention, especially if you move towards the main culprit :)

I've even joked at show's (when someone else tells the group to shhh) that "I've taught preschool and I know how to get someone to be quiet so if I come and put my hand on your shoulder, you're getting too loud". It always gets a laugh and they usually settle down or the rest of the group will warn the person to shhh cause I'm going to come stand next to them :) It's a gentle way to calm that crowd.

Of course, there are times that nothing will help. At those times, I just keep going and finish quickly.

I posted about it once before, but I try to get the audience involved by giving them page numbers to follow along w/ I also tell them to listen for tips and suggested uses throughout the show b/c they may learn something. If you figure out how to keep everyone quite the whole time, let me know how you did it b/c let's face it- we like to talk, espically if we haven't seen each other in a while!

GeorgiaPeach said:
Something I've learned from teaching preschool and substitute teaching in elementary school is to LOWER your voice (speaking softer rather than louder will get people's attention). Also I move around the room a bit...step away from the demo table...at different times. It gets their attention, especially if you move towards the main culprit :)

I've even joked at show's (when someone else tells the group to shhh) that "I've taught preschool and I know how to get someone to be quiet so if I come and put my hand on your shoulder, you're getting too loud". It always gets a laugh and they usually settle down or the rest of the group will warn the person to shhh cause I'm going to come stand next to them :) It's a gentle way to calm that crowd.

Of course, there are times that nothing will help. At those times, I just keep going and finish quickly.

I have had to stop talking completely at shows. Just stand there and say nothing. Eventually the "talker" will notice that you are no longer talking and be quiet.

This has been a problem for more than one of my shows. Let me tell you that I had a host that was perfect BEFORE the show started. Then she was up and down, in and out (her dog was due to have pups anytime). I had total control, people laughing & having fun. Then in the middle of the show she yells out THE PUPPIES ARE COMING! (very rude in my book but hey) Needless to say, I lost everyones attention, the room cleared (it was a full house too). It just deflates you I know. (BTW puppies didn't actually arrive until the next day)

My best advice is to just hang in there. Most people know what it's all about (coming, looking, ordering) and although times it affects sales, it just happens. You just be the best you can be.

amcclanaghan said:
One of the first things I ask my guests is if they've been to a PC show before, when most of the crowd has, I know I'm not going to keep their attention because they've "heard" it all before. So I try to highlight a few of the more spectacular products, for the newer guest, and ask the guest to throw their opinions in.

I figure there are basically two kinds of show, those who know the products and want to get down to business, and those who aren't as familiar and want the entire pitch. Knowing up front what I've got helps me adapt my pitch ;) and usually end up with a better show.

This is exactly what I do. Helps get a feel of the room before I put my all in... Ya know?

It happens to everyone at one time or another. :(

My reaction depends on the crowd. But, honestly, if they are distracted by kids and animals, I generally just plow on through. They'll catch the info they catch. Look at it this way: if they don't hear what you say at this show, the next one of your shows they come to will seem totally fresh, even if you say exactly the same thing word for word. :D

Playing something like the "Have it, Love it" game helps, too. Then they pay attention in case you mention something they have so they can get a ticket or a chocolate.And sometimes, all you can do is tell them, "I know you want to visit. I really only need your attention for 10 more minutes, OK?" and continue.

Playing games can definately help keep their attention. I've tried the stay quiet technique but hav e found times where noone noticed. I like the idea of moving around the room. A couple of times I have tried a technique someone mentioned on here before of looking around on the floor like you've dropped something. Someone eventually asks what you're looking for and you tell them I seem to have lost control, have you seen it? This gets a laugh and they settle down for a while although usually not for long. This is when I just speed through my presentation, hitting the parts I feel are most important. I've also tried telling them that I know they really want to get to the eating part so if I can have their help for just five more minutes we can get the food in the oven! I've also tried just yelling out FREE STUFF. This usually gets everyone to stop and ask what I was talking about and then I plug the hostess benefits or guest special.

I also have found lately that if the hosts puts most of the food out before my presentation, they are more interested in starting to eat then what she has ready.
I usually try to tell them not to go overboard and make things, since I am preparing the main dish or dessert. Some do and can't help it, its just they way they are.

This was also one of the problems last night. Hard to tell a host when to put the food out though isn't it??

Kelly

I was just reminded on another thread of a game we played at a Tupperware party. The consultant gave everyone money (play of course) for attending, money for bringing a guest, money for showing up early or on time, and money everytime they answered the catalog question (like - what page is this on, or how much is this, or What colors do these come in?) She gave out different amounts for different things, they weren't all singles, or tens.

Near the end of the show, she brought out 3 or so gift bags (discontinued bowls, plates, cups) and auctioned them off. Since most of us were friends of family, we were all trying to outbid the others.

It was a fun game and kept out attention the whole time. I also noticed that I saw things in the catalog that I would not have noticed had she not played this game.

I was not a consultant at the time, or I would have paid more attention.

I may play this game this month, just to see how it goes.

Might be good to give the person with the most money the bag of their choice, and THEN auction, since that would help level the playing field, so to speak. Someone always ends up with way more $ than anyone else.

The first time I had a crowd like this one, it drove me NUTS. I thought, "How rude!!" I vented to my director about it, and she quickly pointed out that the guests are there to have fun (this was one of those shows where everyone had been to lots of shows).

You know how you get those same guests that show up at every show (I call them my "groupies")? I've developed a good rapport with them. One hostess told me that they *resent* it when the consultant tries to get everyone quiet so she can talk. They want to have fun and socialize - they've heard it all before. They keep an eye out for the new stuff, ask questions when they need to, and a lot of the times, if you listen to their conversations, they are actually talking PC products!! I had one guest sell most of my items for me!

The way I handle it? I pick up the pace of my demo, talk only to those who are watching me (if any - I've stood there silent for 5 minutes before while chopping, grating, etc), and wrap up quickly. I let them talk. I get at least 2 booking every time, and have gotten many "Thanks for letting us carry on - most consultants interrupt us!"

When host coaching, I ask the host if most of the guests have been to PC shows before. If she says, "Oh yes, they have all been to a bunch," we do an express show. I prepare the recipe before they arrive, tell them what I did, what's new, and that's it! Saves time and headaches. Sorry this is so long, but I just wanted to give a different viewpoint. Sometimes, it's better not to try to "keep" their attention. HTH!

My mom used to come to some of my shows...and let me tell you, she was the biggest gabbing distraction there - LOL My mom is chatty - and I LOVE her to death and didn't want to ban her from my shows cuz I adore her so much...so the tip I got was this...when Mom (or anyone) starts chatting...you single otu the chatter by saying, "Hey, Susie, come on up here & help me chop this" It shuts them up, gets them involved (and typically whatever tool someone tries, they fall in love with and buy) and lets the othe rpotential gabbers in the crowd know that they'd better shut up or you'll bring them up to the table as well - LOL

1. How can I keep my guests engaged during a Pampered Chef party?

There are several ways to keep your guests' attention during a party. One effective strategy is to make the experience interactive by involving them in the cooking process. Encourage them to help with tasks like chopping vegetables or mixing ingredients. You can also engage your guests by asking them questions and encouraging discussion. Lastly, consider incorporating games or prizes to keep the energy and excitement high.

2. What can I do to ensure my host stays engaged throughout the party?

The key to keeping your host engaged is to make them feel special and involved. Start by acknowledging them as the host and thanking them for opening up their home to you. Throughout the party, give them opportunities to participate, such as helping with demonstrations or taste-testing. You can also offer incentives or rewards for hosting, such as free products or discounts.

3. How can I prevent distractions from taking away from the party?

To minimize distractions during your Pampered Chef party, it's important to set the scene. Choose a quiet and clutter-free area to hold the party, away from any TVs or other distractions. You can also politely ask guests to silence their phones or put them away during the presentation. Another helpful tip is to have all necessary materials and ingredients prepared beforehand, so there are no interruptions during the party.

4. What are some tips for keeping guests' attention during a virtual Pampered Chef party?

Virtual parties can be just as engaging as in-person parties with the right approach. One tip is to use visual aids, such as slides or videos, to keep guests interested and entertained. You can also incorporate interactive elements, like polls or quizzes, to keep guests engaged. Additionally, make sure to keep the party moving at a good pace to prevent guests from losing interest.

5. How can I handle guests who seem disinterested or distracted?

If you notice some guests becoming disengaged or distracted during your party, try to involve them in the conversation by asking for their input or opinion. You can also try to make the party more interactive and entertaining by incorporating games or activities. If all else fails, don't take it personally and focus on the guests who are actively participating and enjoying themselves.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• safariphoto
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
beepampered
  • Meigs
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Chef Bobby
  • beckysuem