• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

inNeed of Idea's for Keeping Guest Attention at Shows!!

In summary, the problem with having guests at the show is that they are distracting the host from talking to the guests. The host has started using some of Tom Marston's ideas to try to keep the guests' attention. These ideas include asking each guest to find their favorite product and telling them about the product they picked out. The host also asks the guests questions about the product and if it is easy to use, easy to clean, and would they recommend it to everyone. As the guests talk, the host stops to add more detail about the product. If it is something the host is using, he or she will give
mommyhugz1978
Gold Member
Alright here is my small problem, how do I keep the attention of all the guest durning the show?? the last few shows that I have had, the problem has been is that guest are starting their own conversations and I am finding it rather distracting. What do I do???

I find that to be a bit distracting as well. You are not the only one it's happened to. I politely just say excuse me or I will stop for a minute. They seem to get the picture. Some of my shows I felt like I was just talking to myself because guest had kids that came along so everytime the kids cried or needed something, there went mom.

I've started doing my shows using some of Tom Marston's (I think that's who it was) ideas.

I ask each of them to find their favorite product in the catalog and on the "shopping list". I ask those who have several products to choose an item they have that might not be as well known because I don't want folks to repeat.

Then I explain that I'll be preparing the recipe while we go around the room and they tell us about the product they picked out. They have to tell us what it is, what page it's on, where it's at on the shopping list (this is so other guests can mark that item if it's something they might like to purchase) and then answer the questions: is it easy to use, easy to clean, would you recommend it to everyone here.

As we go around the room, I will stop to add more detail about a product (if I feel there's more they should know) and pass the product if it's something I have with me and am not using in the recipe. Also, I've told them that as I'm preparing the recipe, I may stop and have them watch how a particular tool is used.

This keeps people occupied and (for anyone out there who is shy) takes some of the pressure off of you.

I just stop talking and move around to the area where the talkers are, looking on the floor....when they stop to look at me (which they ALWAYS DO!), I say

"I'm sorry, I seem to have lost control, has anyone seen it?"

That always gets a laugh, and then I can go on!:D

Guests have their own party at the showI feel your pain! As long as we are dealing with people, there will be those times when we may as well not even be in the room. Being well prepared, walking the room, using good eye contact, smiling, pausing when necessary, using humor, getting guest participation are all things I use depending upon the situation. Another thing that I have started doing to see if it has an effect on the guests' attention is to hand out the catalogs at the end rather than upfront. I have done it for the last four shows and it seems to have cut way down on the guests attention being diverted elsewhere (browsing the catalog, talking to each other about products in the catalog). Then we have what I fondly refer to as the "dog and pony shows":eek: when dogs and cats run free throughout the show, babies are passed around, and children are out of control. And yes, in my host coaching I strongly address this issue, but for some it doesn't mean a thing. You do your best, you smile and be professional and learn from your experiences.

That used to happen to me a lot , i think my shows were to long. People honestly do not want to sit there for a hour and listen to you talk. I went to a show for At home america and she wouldnt shut up ! She talked for 1 1/2 hours she got no bookings no one wanted to sit threw that again !

My hosts really want a fun night with there friends , i talk for 15 minutes. I have had a few people say to me well that was short and sweet , but to the point. I have gotten bookings from people telling me i like how you do your shows ! That is what works for me , i tell them i am only going to take 15 minutes of your time, then the rest of the night is yours .

I try as hard as I can to just keep talking. When I stop for a minute to do something, that is when they take their opportunity to start flappin their traps.

Most parties if I just butt in while they are talking and talk really loud they will quit, but I've had a couple where they wouldn't :(

I keep my shows to about 20 minutes and I am very active with passing things around. If someone was talking when I talked about a product they are going to get it passed to them and look up strangely like "why am I holding this" that is when someone who was paying attention usually pipes up and sells it to them. If someone is repeatedly not listening I usually joke "Susan, are you paying attention? There will be a test at the end!" Then at the end of my show I say if you have any questions DON'T ask Susan!! That usually gets a laugh and people have fun with it.

I went to a beauticontrol party and brought my kids with the host's permission. The consultant (18 years old) was there with her mother and they both kept shussing my kids and shussing my efforts to quiet my kids. The weren't screaming or jumping or running around. They were sitting on the couch next to me making 1 and 2 year old noises. I will never have a party with this consultant because of this, and I am actively trying to find a different consultant to have a show with. I thougth it was totally rude to shush me and my small children!

I am going to try some of these idea..... I even thought about doing the no demo type of show... too see if works or not.. does anyone have anyother suggestions????

I have slips of paper with different things written on them that I pass around (usually in the guest special). It's my introduction bowl. When I pause to look at the recipe or am doing something boring like cutting more items, I ask for another intro. That lets the guests talk and breaks up my talking too much. Then, when I'm ready to demo a new item, I just walk closer to the audience and ask a question: "who has the batter bowl? or did you know our knives have a lifetime guarantee?"

I never thought of that before...... I have a show next week I am going to try some of this stuff and see how it works out

Play games that require paying attention!!I play a game called
"Where is it in the catalog?"

I let them know at the beginning that they must pay close attention to the tools I am using so that they can win at the game we are going to play while our recipe is in the oven.

Usually this works. If some people still talk, then you can start getting the audience involved with different things. Have someone come up and stir so they can feel how nice the Scrapers feel. Have someone else use the garlic press, and then start asking them questions like:
If money were no object and you could have anything in the catalog tonight what would it be?
Then use this to springboard to the last page of the catalog for...
you got it!! The host benefits!! Talk about FREE products, half price items, etc...
Good luck!!
Debbie

As a parent, I know the opportunity to get a night out of the house away from the family can be few and far between -- Knowing that some of these people are using this party as an excuse to see each other and catch up on a few months' worth of conversations, I try to intrude as little as possible. It's the host's house, and it's her friends, and I'm not asking them to listen to me yap for an hour when they could be yapping with each other.

One thing to say upfront could be "I know you're all really anxious to socialize with each other, so I won't take up much of your time. I'm going to talk for about XX minutes, and then you can chat while I finish up and take orders..." Insert XX with however long your demo is. I generally do not do long demos.

If they are really not paying attention and clearly want to talk amongst themselves, I just say "I think you all would have a better time talking amongst yourselves, rather than listening to me babble -- so I'm going to finish up this recipe and if you have any questions about what I'm doing or about the products, just let me know..." and I wave them off and finish the recipe. It's not that important to me that they are watching me complete every step. It IS important to me that everyone has a good time and remembers me as the consultant who was not overbearing or demanding the spotlight.

What I ended up doing at my last show is that I arrived about an hour early so I had basicly everything already prepared so by the time the guest arrived I didn't babble to long about the recipie. I just babbled about the tools... and what their faves are!!!! Becasue Iwant to get bookings off of that show so I want everyone to have a good time in the long run.

Rememer that IT'S A PARTY!!!! And what do people do at parties?? They talk. These people came to have a good time and to spend money. More than likely, they know what they want already. Make sure you hit the big ticket items early while you have their attention. (Cookware, cutlery...etc...) Create a need for it, and make sure your opening is stellar. If they aren't paying attention then you aren't entertaining them. But by all means don't shoosh them, nobody likes to feel like they are in grade school and I doubt you will get many bookings or recruit leads!
Just remember, have fun yourself, we're having a party not a demonstation!

I am having fun and being being myself.... My problem is this is my fourth month and I really haven't done that many shows.... so this is all new to me still...... But I am learning what works for my shows my not work for someone else's shows....... keep the idea's coming though......

PampChefJoy said:
As a parent, I know the opportunity to get a night out of the house away from the family can be few and far between -- Knowing that some of these people are using this party as an excuse to see each other and catch up on a few months' worth of conversations, I try to intrude as little as possible. It's the host's house, and it's her friends, and I'm not asking them to listen to me yap for an hour when they could be yapping with each other.

One thing to say upfront could be "I know you're all really anxious to socialize with each other, so I won't take up much of your time. I'm going to talk for about XX minutes, and then you can chat while I finish up and take orders..." Insert XX with however long your demo is. I generally do not do long demos.

If they are really not paying attention and clearly want to talk amongst themselves, I just say "I think you all would have a better time talking amongst yourselves, rather than listening to me babble -- so I'm going to finish up this recipe and if you have any questions about what I'm doing or about the products, just let me know..." and I wave them off and finish the recipe. It's not that important to me that they are watching me complete every step. It IS important to me that everyone has a good time and remembers me as the consultant who was not overbearing or demanding the spotlight.

AMEN!!!;) ;) ;)

I Can't agree more!!!!

Be honest I tell them to talk! They wont stop because they get excited to see each other, but I do tell them to be considerate of the people who do want to listen to me. Most of them get the hint and if they do talk I like to join in also. I will ask questions.
At the last party I mom was a little upset her neice or nephew was ill and they were talking low but I felt she needed to get off her chest so i ask what happened that got everyone involved and 5 minutes went by while I mixed and got the wontons ready for the oven. It wasnt a big deal and I did get alot of compliments on how I was a caring person, considerate and got bookings. Granted thats not why i had them talk! I just didnt want her to cry and have people think she hated Pampered Chef!!! LOL!
My best advice is to take it one party at a time and the only reason people do like have cooking shows because we are fun and they have fun. And they want to do this again.

I'm all for keeping a short demo to give people a chance to socialize & I wait for them to wind down a little before I start. However, I do find it distracting to those who want to listen if people are talking louder than me. At one of my shows, I was almost yelling to be heard & I had several people straining to hear me. It was a smaller room with a lot of people, so that probably didn't help. I understand they want to talk, but it IS a demonstration that we are doing--some people do want to hear what I have to say. I think they should talk quietly until the demo is done & talk all they want while eating & order-taking. Funny that my bookings were all from those who were listening to me & not doing the talking!

Last edited:
pamperedgirl3 said:
I'm all for keeping a short demo to give people a chance to socialize & I wait for them to wind down a little before I start. However, I do find it distracting to those who want to listen if people are talking louder than me. At one of my shows, I was almost yelling to be heard & I had several people straining to hear me. It was a smaller room with a lot of people, so that probably didn't help. I understand they want to talk, but it IS a demonstration that we are doing--some people do want to hear what I have to say. I think they should talk quietly until the demo is done & talk all they want while eating & order-taking. Funny that my bookings were all from those who were listening to me & not doing the talking!

Did you go to Confernce???? If so did you attend Balanda Ellsworths Workshop?? Becasue if you didn't it really sounds like you did!!!

I did go to conference, but didn't sign up for her workshop (wish I would have). Thanks for the compliment though! What did she say about that?

pamperedgirl3 said:
I did go to conference, but didn't sign up for her workshop (wish I would have). Thanks for the compliment though! What did she say about that?
Here is a copy of my notes that I took durning that workshop!!! It's just easier for me to attach my notes than try and type them all out on this part of the board.

Attachments

• 90 Days to the business that you want.doc
    33.5 KB · Views: 254
Thanks! I really wish I would have signed up for her workshop!

pamperedgirl3 said:
Thanks! I really wish I would have signed up for her workshop!

Anytime...... I am going to take her workshop again next year!!!!! I found i tmost helpful!!!!

Related to inNeed of Idea's for Keeping Guest Attention at Shows!!

What are some ideas for keeping guest attention at Pampered Chef shows?

1. Offer interactive and hands-on experiences: Allow guests to participate in the cooking demonstrations, try out products, and ask questions. This will keep them engaged and interested in the products being showcased.

2. Incorporate games and prizes: Spice up the show with some fun games and giveaways. This will not only keep guests entertained but also create a sense of excitement and competition.

3. Share personal stories and experiences: Share your own journey with Pampered Chef and how the products have made a difference in your life. This will help guests relate to the products and develop a personal connection with the brand.

4. Utilize visuals and demonstrations: Use props, videos, and demonstrations to showcase the features and benefits of the products. This will help guests better understand and remember the products being presented.

5. Encourage audience participation: Ask guests for their input and opinions throughout the show. This will make them feel involved and valued, and keep them engaged in the presentation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• safariphoto
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
beepampered
  • Meigs
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Chef Bobby
  • Boomerjojo