• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Guest Ignorance: My First Show Experience

are there. And, if that's the case, you need to take control of the room immediately. There are a few things that you can do. One is to start the show by asking the host what they would like you to do. If they don't want you to talk, then you will need to be silent. You can also bring in some new products or ask questions that are pertinent to the group. If they are still not paying attention, you may need to ask the host to take you off the floor. If that doesn't work, you may need to leave. It's always best to get a host's permission before doing anything drastic, but if they are not helping you, then
avelissar
This Saturday, was my first show outside my circle of family and friends. It was nerve wrecking. It seemed, if something could go wrong, it did. I think what really started it off on the wrong foot, is that I completely felt out of place.

I have done shows with guests I do not know. They are successful and I have a good time. At this past show - the host did not bother to introduce me to the guests - and they didn't bother to introduce themselves.

They were all greeting and talking amongst themselves, and ignoring me.

How do you take control of the room, if the guests are ignoring you? They weren't rude, but they were only paying attention with half an ear. I am relatively new, so I have not had this experience. Perhaps - one or two guests having an outside conversation - but an entire room?

How do you handle this?

I don't think that you can assume that the host will introduce you and you are the one there in the lead I think. So you need to introduce yourself. Otherwise, ask the host to introduce people to you.It happens sometimes. They are excited to be out of the house and have seen stuff enough to not think they need to pay attention. Or maybe they are just rude. Whatever it is, you just do your thing. If you have new products out or talk about tips and new ways to use something, that usually perks up some ears. I had a show yesterday that wasn't giving much energy back. I'm pretty used to the energetic crowd lately...spoiled! So I whip out the Mix n Chop and it was funny how that little item got their attention b/c some had it and were planning to buy as gifts and others bought it b/c of that.Just go with the flow. My show seemed a bit blah so I didn't feel like I did great, but I got a couple of bookings out of it so that's great!Okay...tired...so answering your actual question. Talk to hosts and if it may be the group would do better with a express show. Food done ahead of time. Let them get food and while they are busy EATING (so not talking), tell them "I just need your attention for a few minutes and then ask questions, check out the products, enjoy your evening". Another thing I've heard is to say something like "do I need to separate you?" to chatty people. Depends on your personality...whether you can get away with that. :)

Some groups are like that. Don't take it personally.

one of my good friends had a party when I first started. Basically, they all ignored me, drank, and talked over me and bought hardly anything. The rudest group of women ever. I did not book a party from any of the guests but really who would want to deal with that bunch anyway? Not worth my time!

I always introduce myself. I also make sure to make eye contact as each guest shows up as well. This seems to really help.

Just go with the flow. If they are in little groups, first walk to each group, say excuse me and introduce yourself and tell them you will be getting their attention in X minutes to begin. Do this with all guests and then get started.

I'm been there, done that, and have the tee shirt to prove it! ha ha ha ;)

when i start a show i will alwasy introduce my self in the begining and thank the host and then every one else will also.

When that happens to me, I usually just smile and go on with what I'm doing. Get the host to help control the room. I've had shows where everyone just talks to each other, but I get good sales anyway...I think it's because I say, "Hey, it's a party! Have a good time!"

I take control from the beginning! As people are arriving, I make sure and greet them, and I have a pad of nametags and a pen in my hand. I introduce myself, shake their hand, and ask them their name. I write a nametag, thank them for coming, and make some small tall with them. If you like their shoes, hair, sweater, name, etc....give them a compliment. Ask them if they were an invited guest or if they came with someone who was....make it a point to connect with people before you begin your show. I have found that it helps immensely with people paying attention and being responsive.

BUT, occasionally, you will get the group that could care less if you were in the room!:rolleyes:

If they are a chatty group, I always start the show off by saying "We'll get started now, I won't keep you very long!" Then I thank the host, introduce myself with my story and have then do introductions. You are the consultant, take charge of your own shows.

Plus you will have some crowds that are chattier than others, I just keep talking no matter what.

I usually don't have much of a problem but I am currently doing shows with a group that will not stop talking. At the last party I told them it was okay as long as they were talking about PC. They laughed and kept talking.

I do not normally do interactive shows - tried them and did not go well for me but that's another thread - but next month's show with this group WILL be interactive. Then they can talk all they want and I'll just float from station to station.

I always introduce myself, have them intorduce themselves, tell me there favorite PC item and then start the demo. that is usually when they start to talk loudly over me and ignore me. I try and do the interactive and they say NO, we didn't come to help. I have dealt with so many rude and inconsiderate people, I just keep making the recipe and then sit down. That is when they usually wonder what happened and someone will say, Oh I guess we are being rude or they will ask where the catalogs are. I learned not to take it personally anymore.

One of our directors will stop her Show and start looking around, under the table, in the sink, around and around. She says pretty soon people will start looking around too and finally someone will ask, "Did you lose something?" She says, "Yes, I seem to have lost control of my Show!" Everyone laughs and usually will start paying attention... It's not rude and kinda funny so no one gets offended either!

I used to have lots of problems with people not paying attention to me during my demo. After I changed the format of my parties to an interactive show where I have everyone around the table preparing the recipe, I don't have as much of a problem with this anymore and the demo goes much more quickly.

I go along with the flow. I've prepared a recipe where no-one was looking. I liked that better than a group of ladies that sat in a tight group being very quiet and never took their eyes off of me. Since I've started using the interactive shows, there seems to be more attention and less tension.

I introduce myself to everyone as they are arriving. I try to be all set up before people get there. If I'm not, I'll stop and introduce myself. If they get talking, it's okay. I had a show last winter like that. They had just had a big family party, so someone showed up with an album of the pictures and it was over. Buy they ate, shopped, and had fun and I had a $1000+ show.Remember, it's about THEM. You are not the star of the show.

Please forgive me if this is your story (because I don't remember who it was), but someone has posted here before about "inheriting" a group of customers because they didn't like that their former consultant made them pay attention at shows. As much as we would love everyone to catch all our tips and product info, shows are really there for the guests to have fun (well, and buy things from us). If they don't have fun, they won't rebook. Once you've got a rapport with the group, you can figure out how much they'll take from you to keep them "in line." But before that, it's better to go with the flow.

When I first started, I felt this way as well, then I realized it was my fault- The guests are looking for direction from you, and if you do not start out right, it will never flow correctly. Now, I do the intro, and I let them know how the show will go, and to keep everyone involved, I have a guest handing out tickets, for either "Got it, Love it" "Love it, Got to have it", or finding the product in the catalog. I also give the guest freedom to give tickets at will,especially if they compliment me!!!- (That always gets a laugh.) It keeps the guests involved inthe show, and everyone has a great time- If they do not feel involved, they will talk amongst themselves, and you will lose control. I do not do interactive shows often, but I always call someone up to try a product, especially if they have never used it before. Sometimes, you will just have rude guests, but I am not a school teacher, I am someone invited into their home, and I try to respect that.

I just did a party with 15 guests and I didn't know a soul. They had all been to a zillion PC parties, so I kept it brief. After asking the host if it is okay to start, I ask the guests to have a seat, thank the host and introduce myself. I ask if they're familiar with PC, then I skip a lot of details about the productsif they all are. If I'm working on a part of the recipe that takes a little reading/concentrating, I ask them to go around the room and say their name and which PC item they like best and how they use it, taking time to acknowledge each guest after they say their name. I keep those shows brief and get ready to take orders! If they have fun, they'll also book.

1. Why do guests ignore me during a Pampered Chef party?

There could be a variety of reasons why guests may seem to be ignoring you during a Pampered Chef party. It could be that they are distracted by other conversations or activities, or they may simply be shy or introverted. It's important not to take it personally and to continue engaging with them in a friendly and approachable manner.

2. What can I do to get guests to pay attention during a Pampered Chef party?

One way to grab your guests' attention during a Pampered Chef party is to make the experience interactive and fun. Encourage them to participate in the cooking demonstrations and ask them questions about their own cooking experiences. You can also offer incentives or prizes to keep them engaged throughout the party.

3. Is it normal for guests to ignore the Pampered Chef consultant?

It is not uncommon for guests to be more interested in socializing with each other at a Pampered Chef party rather than paying attention to the consultant. However, as the consultant, it's important to stay positive and keep the energy up so that guests are more likely to participate and engage with you.

4. How can I make sure guests don't ignore me during my Pampered Chef presentation?

One way to keep guests from ignoring you during your Pampered Chef presentation is to be well-prepared and knowledgeable about the products and recipes you are demonstrating. Make eye contact, speak clearly, and use visual aids to keep their attention. Encourage them to ask questions and be open to their feedback and suggestions.

5. Should I be concerned if guests ignore me during a Pampered Chef party?

It's natural to feel a little discouraged if guests seem to be ignoring you during a Pampered Chef party, but it's important not to take it personally. Remember that the main goal is for everyone to have a good time and enjoy the products and recipes being presented. Some guests may be more talkative and engaged than others, but as long as you are putting in your best effort, there is no need to worry.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• keynibear
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • Sheila
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
JanisF
  • lisasfuncooking