• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

IUD Woes: Has Anyone Else Had Mirena Weight Gain?

In summary, the author had a Mirena IUD and gained 10 pounds. She is now pregnant and is wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. There are anecdotal reports that people have lost weight while on the IUD, but there are also reports of people gaining weight. The author recommends weight watchers as a way to lose weight.
cookn' katie
I have a weird question~ Does anyone out there have have an IUD~ Mirena? I got one this past summer and absolutly LOVE it but I have gained like 10 lbs. I was wondering if anyone else out there has one and if they have had the same problems. I have been eating more junk food than normal but 10lb, AHHHHH! Please pass along any comments you have. Thanks Katie

I had one for about 3 years, no problems at all. Obviously don't have one now since I am as big as a house and expecting a baby in the next couple of weeks.

I have one, for about 10 months now, since I had our last daughter (the pill doesn't seem to work for me, since we have 2 of our 3 beautiful girls while on it!) I have not had any problems!

I have had it for a year now and not had any problems, LOVE IT!!! I would call your doctor though and talk to them about it.

I did experience weight gain with Mirena.:grumpy:

My sister an SIL both have it and I think they have both lost weight. Maybe I should get one.

I am on my second one. With the first I lost weight. After my second child and my second IUD I have gained weight. I love it though!

I'm on the NuvaRing and I'm gaining weight and cannot stop!! My GYN told me that any type of birth control can cause a chemical imbalance and can make you lose or gain weight. When I was on Alesse, I lost wieght, but didn't need to then. I was only 98 pounds then!

One thing my GYN told me was taht when you try ANY new meds and you feel you're gaining weight, try weight watchers. He highly recommends the program and says it truly is the healthiest way to lose weight. I stil haven't tried it...

LOVE Mirena! Love weight watchers! i lost 35-40 LBS after my 1st baby while i had it in. i have it again. i havevn't lost any weight yet, but i'm also not watching what i eat or going to the gym like i should.

I've had it since July. I've been losing weight, but I'm also breastfeeding. I'm back to my pre-baby weight, and we'll see how it goes from here. I did notice though, in the pamphlet they gave me about Mirena, the studies regarding weight gain were done by Finnish people, which made me smile (being Finnish myself). :)

1. What is Mirena and how does it work?

Mirena is a type of intrauterine device (IUD) that is inserted into the uterus to prevent pregnancy for up to 5 years. It releases a small amount of the hormone progestin to thicken the cervical mucus and prevent sperm from reaching the egg.

2. Is weight gain a common side effect of Mirena?

Weight gain is not listed as a common side effect of Mirena, but it is possible for some women to experience weight gain while using this form of birth control. However, any weight gain is usually minimal and can be managed with a healthy diet and exercise.

3. How long does it take to notice weight gain after getting Mirena?

The timing of weight gain can vary for each individual. Some women may notice weight gain soon after getting Mirena, while others may not notice any changes until several months later. It is important to keep track of your weight and speak with your doctor if you have any concerns.

4. Can Mirena cause other side effects besides weight gain?

Yes, Mirena can cause other side effects such as irregular bleeding, cramping, acne, and breast tenderness. These side effects are usually temporary and may improve over time. If you experience any severe or persistent side effects, it is important to consult with your doctor.

5. What should I do if I am experiencing weight gain with Mirena?

If you are concerned about weight gain while using Mirena, it is important to speak with your doctor. They can discuss your options and provide recommendations for managing any weight gain. It is also important to maintain a healthy diet and exercise regularly to help manage your weight.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
crystalscookingnow
Replies
Views
Ish
  • ughubug
  • General Chat
Replies