• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Which Weight Watchers Program is Right for Me?

variety helps me stay on track). And finally, remember that there's no magic weight loss formula - it takes time, dedication, and hard work.
MissChef
Gold Member
This is for you Weight Water gals and guys!
Can you explain the Flex Plan and Core Plan. :confused: I want more information before I do this and I'm trying to see which one would work best for me. I plan to go check out a meeting tomorrow or Friday and see what I think.
I've been trying to get my weight under control for almost a year and I'm getting worse instead of better. :cry: :( So I decided that the support system with the meetings and the internet is the way to go for me! :thumbup: I just need to understand these plans! I also want to know with which system does the weight come off the fastest and from what I read, am I understanding right that the Core System seems to be based on better for you food? Is the flex plan where you can eat what you want basically but when your points are up, your done?
Please respond soon as I need to do something and quick! My weight is zapping my energy, has me feeling down about myself and it reflects in everything I do, from my business to my personal life! I think if I start with my weight and do it for myself, for the way I feel physically and mentally, I think I will have a more positive outlook and more energy for everything else in my life! And I think this time around I need more than myself to motivate me and keep it up!
I've done the southbeach diet and it worked for a while except, I really don't want to give up bread! Especially with the first few weeks being 0 bread, and 0 fruit! I love these 2 food groups! I love fresh fruites and I don't want to give up berries at this time of the year!!! I can eat less fruit, I just don't want to give it up entirely! As far as bread goes, I can do whole grains, in fact I prefer them! ;) I just want some pasta, again whole wheat is good!, and I want to do it without feeling guilty! So, anyway any guidance that my cheffer friends can provide would be so great!
Thanks in advance!:D :balloon:

I tried Core - and couldn't do it. I know a lot of people who love it - but it wasn't for me. I think it has to do with personality type!:D
I cannot stand being told what I can and can't eat. With Core, you have an "approved" list of foods - and they include ONLY Fat Free dairy (which I think is abhorrent!) and no breads or cereals (other than oatmeal) - Oh - and you have to use sugar substitutes, which I won't do. So it's basically eat all the lean protein, veggies, fruits, and FF dairy you want, along with sugar substitutes. In my first DAY, I used 25 of my 35 weekly flex points. The next day, I changed to flex - and I LOVE that! I don't have to worry about going to restaurant and not having anything I can choose. (seriously - for some restaurants, the only thing that is allowed foods w/ core are the condiments and a diet coke!) But like I said - I think it's mostly a personality thing. Some people do better with a list that they can go by - they need that to stay accountable. For me, I felt like I was drowning in restrictions w/ Core. With Flex - it's all my own responsibility and my own choices - and I like that.

thanks Becky!
hmmmmm, no bread except oatmeal??? :eek: hmmmmm, don't know if that will work for me. I crave Whole wheat toast, even one slice in the morning with an egg, and I'm happy, I eat it slow and savor the taste!:eek: :D
Anyone else:confused: ????
Any Core lovers:love: :love: ???
;) ;) ;)

Becky described the plans perfectly. I'm a flex person myself - I lost 50 lbs last year, and became a lifetime member this past November. I'm finding it easy to keep the weight off as long as I follow the plan. I like knowing that I can eat whatever I want, but as you said, when my Points are up, that's it. I do still try to eat "core" foods because they're healthier, but it's nice to know that if I really want that chocolate cake, I can!

I'm also a HUGE proponent of exercise. If you're capable, start moving (I alternate between running/walking, Tae Bo, Pilates, light weight lifting, and aerobics - I find the variety keeps it interesting and really works my whole body). Combined with a healthy menu, exercise will help your energy level increase, the weight will come off quicker, and you'll look slimmer faster. There are certainly days that I don't WANT to exercise, but now I just know it's part of my every day routine like putting in my contacts or brushing my teeth. And you really have to have the mentality that it is now an every day thing for the rest of your life, not just until you lose the weight, or the weight will creep back on.

Weight Watchers was the only way for me - I need(ed) the accountability of stepping on that scale in front of someone.

Good luck with your decision - PM me if you'd like to talk more!

Flex for me! :D

CORE ROCKS but what you need is a program that works for YOU. We preplan our meals - I have lots of core recipes and make up lots in advance so we just pop them in the oven or microwave

Personally I love bread but once I get it out of my diet and eat more fruit I stop craving carbs and actually don't feel so well when eating yeast breads.

You can still eat bread you just have to use your weekly points allowance or activity points

Last edited:
i loved Flex! i did it and lost 20 lbs in 5 months. unfortunately i injured my knees pretty bad and put it all back on being lazy. after my surgeries i'm definitely starting again so i don't put on 100 lbs during recovery!! sorry i'm rambling, FLEX is the way to go though!

I love flex. Core is very effective if you have that sort of dedication but I don't LOL :)

you can always switch back and forth between them but ONLY for a solid week at a time. This helps sometimes when you plateau in your weightloss and your metabolism needs a kickstart.

I use flex and it's working great for me.My leader suggested I consider core, since I eat a lot of core foods anyway. I'm far too dependent on breads and pastas, so having to spend my flex points on them might help me learn to find alternatives.I've lost nearly 11 pounds so far. I've gone a bit slowly, but the support and encouragement is top-notch and I couldn't do it otherwise.

I personally think Core is the one of healthiest of any commercial diet out there. I will try to post some Core recipes I love in a seperate thread tomorrow

I love the flex program. I lost about 50lbs last year. I have since fallen off the plan and gained about 20. So, now I am back and have lost 4.5lbs in two weeks. I buy alot of the smart ones and lean quisine to help with portions and the points are already calculated on the box. I will usually have vegetables with them to fill me up and veggies are usually 0 points. Good luck. I just do it online, it makes it so easy to keep track.

Good to knowI really would love to lose about 30-40 lbs after having my baby!! :cry:

These sound like something I would definitely consider. Do I just go to the Weight watchers website? Is there a fee? Are we suppose to attend meetings or something? I don't think I could commit to that but maybe the accountability would be good. But with five kids (including a newborn), a hubby, PC, homeschooling and church activities I don't know!

Can anyone fill me in? I am really interested. Flex sounds good for me. I love bread too. I also love rice!! :love:

Also would you recommend a stationary bike or a treadmill? I really need to get myself exercising and there is no way I am going walking in this heat with five kids!! :eek: Thanks ladies in advance for the great advice!!

Debbie :D

right now im doing flex
this is my second week and week 1 i GAINED 1.2lbs
so if i dont lose that plus some next week i'll try the core
and if that dont work im going for lipo lol just kidding:)

i used to do WW with a girlfriend but when she stopped going it was harder for me to stay focused. we should all get together and support each other.

DebbieSAChef said:
I really would love to lose about 30-40 lbs after having my baby!! :cry:

These sound like something I would definitely consider. Do I just go to the Weight watchers website? Is there a fee? Are we suppose to attend meetings or something? I don't think I could commit to that but maybe the accountability would be good. But with five kids (including a newborn), a hubby, PC, homeschooling and church activities I don't know!

Can anyone fill me in? I am really interested. Flex sounds good for me. I love bread too. I also love rice!! :love:

Also would you recommend a stationary bike or a treadmill? I really need to get myself exercising and there is no way I am going walking in this heat with five kids!! :eek: Thanks ladies in advance for the great advice!!

Debbie :D

Debbie - I do the online version of WW - so I don't go to meetings. I did find an online group though - women who are in my local area. We keep each other accountable online - and some of them I've actually met in person! Having that accountability has really helped me.

Kathy - I think WW CAN BE healthy, but I think "healthy" means different things to different people. Core, for me, was too much FF dairy (which, other than milk and yogurt, means LOTS of added "non-food" ingredients) and the whole Sugar Substitute deal - I just couldn't do it! Both of those groups I personally consider to be not good for my body. Because I eat mostly whole foods, I thought Core would be the way to go - but found that by using alot of the Core ideas, but eating foods that I would normally eat, that FLEX actually worked out alot better for me.

I understand what you are saying about the FF dairy - I actually get the milk from our Braum's store - It is concentrated so the Fat Free milk has a richer taste by reducing the water. Most of the fat fee cheeses and other dairy products don't taste very good in my opinion anyway. I am iffy on sugar substitutes. I would like to work more with more natural sweeteners like Stevia and Xylitol but there are few recipes out there for these sweeteners.

What encouraged me to do more Core over Flex is that it annoyed me that once I get to goal I only get 20 pts to work with when a piece of salmon is about 4 pts and that is an ultra healthy food. I do not like the change they made to Core with the lit of approved snack. Almost all the snacks are carbohydrate. I have a tendency toward hypoglycemia. I kind of follow the old Core program and not the current one. It's been working for me so why mess with it.

I have heard people say there is difference between "old Core" and "new Core" - but I've never seen the old program. Is it that much different?

Thanks everyone!:thumbup: If anyone else cares to comment that would be great! I guess I just need to go to a meeting and get more info on the programs and go from there! I think I will do the monthly pass so that I can get all the on-line extras that everyone seems to rave about!
I will let you know when I go to a meeting! I am going to try today!
:thumbup:

The monthly pass is a great deal!!

The old core program - You ate when you were hungry from the approved food list.

The new core program - You ate when you were hungry from the approved food list for meal - There is an approved snack list for snacks. Snack outside that list and you need to count it as points

I love the Chocolate Smoothies that are available at the meeting places - I can have one a day on Core YUM!

I was just looking at a WW magazine that I remember I picked up about 2 months ago, at the time I had picked it up for the recipes.:thumbup: As I looked closer now, I can see some of the eating plans and how they figure into the 2 different program.:) I can't go to a meeting today because my hubby called and needs me to do some running around for him today. And I have my last night of VBS with my kids tonight, but tomorrow, I think I read that the meeting place that closest to me has a meeting at 12:30, so I will go check it out!:thumbup: :balloon: Thanks for all the tips! I am getting more motivated and excited because I know I need to and can do this!

I'll let you all know what I decided, probably on Saturday, as I have a show tomorrow that I know I will be getting ready for once I get home from the meeting!!;)

Again, thanks to all of you that took the time to give me your thoughts! You gals are great!:D ;) :love:

This is what is working for me....Cathy,
Like you I have been trying to get my weight under control for over a year. About 2 years ago I lost about 45lbs in about 3 months, and kept it off until last year.

Last year I had allot happen, mainly a new job where I sit and do nothing all day. I am a closet weight watchers person. I can tell you the points for almost anything. But don't follow it regularly, because it feels like you are on a diet, and I can't stand that. Dieting is actually not that great for you. Because when you are done the diet you will put the weight back on. You need to change your life.

The first time I lost all the weight I did it by exercise and more exercise. Everyday I did it, and lost the weight pretty quick. But now I work 60+ hrs a week (2jobs) plus just starting doing this. So I need a new plan. This is what I have come up with and it is working for me so far, I lost 5 lbs in about 2 weeks, and am making a permanent life change.
This is what I do.....
Write out a goal list for a four week period.
Week one was No fries or Potatoes Chips (my two worst things I eat). And since I sit at a desk all day I have to get up once an hour and do something physical like 20 jumping jacks. If I make my goal each day that week I get to put aside $10 for new products, that I will spend in September.
Week two....
Everything in week one AND drink 64 oz of Water a day. I have 2 32oz containers that I will up so I don't have to keep track.
If I make my goal each day that week I get to put aside $10 for new products, that I will spend in September.
Week three...
Everything in week one and two AND 30 mins of activity when I get home at night.
If I make my goal each day that week I get to put aside $10 for new products, that I will spend in September.
Week four....
Everything in weeks one thru three AND Add a salad during the day. I don't eat enough veggies and to much fruit, so eating veggies is a habit I need to make.
So at the end of the 4 week I would have an extra $40 to spend towards something that I want, plus I have made a weight goal and it I meet that goal I get a new shirt. (so far I have made my goal for week one and two and week three looks promising)

This way you change one little thing a week and you are learning new behaviors and habits. And it is something that you can live with forever. You can still eat bread and fruit.
Good luck with you weight loss, I will be ruting for you, I now I need it.

I have lost 80 pounds so far on Weight Watchers. I am very near goal, and have become a part-time WW employee as a weigher. When you do WW I HIGHLY recommend journaling every single thing you put in your mouth. Writing everything down I think will help you get to your goal 50% faster. With this you can keep track of your water consumption, fruits, vegetables, dairy and recommended oil intake.(WW recommends 6 8-0z glasses of water a day, five servings of fruits and vegetables, 1-2 servings a day of dairy, and 2 tsp a day of oil.)

tafaye said:
Cathy,
Like you I have been trying to get my weight under control for over a year. About 2 years ago I lost about 45lbs in about 3 months, and kept it off until last year.

Last year I had allot happen, mainly a new job where I sit and do nothing all day. I am a closet weight watchers person. I can tell you the points for almost anything. But don't follow it regularly, because it feels like you are on a diet, and I can't stand that. Dieting is actually not that great for you. Because when you are done the diet you will put the weight back on. You need to change your life.

This is exactly why I do WW - it isn't a diet - I eat no "diet" foods. What it does for me is teach me portion control, and helps me make right choices and form new eating habits......so I am creating a new lifestyle of eating - not a "diet" that will end. At first, I thought alot about the points and was a little obsessive - but if you are following the program (not just doing it occasionally or w/o the support of meetings or an online group) it soon becomes second nature......i.e. you've changed your eating habits and changed your weight and your life!;)

I think the #1 reason why I want to join, is I need the support of the meetings and that accountability! Especially in the beginning! I will stick with the meetings if I'm feeling support and if I need to go to a meeting I can go anytime, that's what the monthly pass info says!
I have never been good with journaling but if that's what it takes to loose the weight then I will do it!;)

MissChef said:
I think the #1 reason why I want to join, is I need the support of the meetings and that accountability! Especially in the beginning! I will stick with it if I'm feeling support and if I need to go to a meeting I can go anytime, that's what the monthly pass info says!
I have never been good with journaling but if that's what it takes to loose the weight then I will!;)

I do my journaling online - it seems to be easier for me...plus it keeps track of my points and everything too - maybe thats why it's easier - no math involved for me!:rolleyes: I think even if you aren't an online WW, you can still use the online journaling chart.
The accountability is great - it's always good to know there are others struggling where you are struggling - or cheering you on with your successes (sorta like CS!) and I've made some great friends thru WW, too.

The support of the meetings (and the stickers! :D) is the key to my success. I *have* to go to meetings or I do *not* stick with it.

ChefBeckyD said:
This is exactly why I do WW - it isn't a diet - I eat no "diet" foods. What it does for me is teach me portion control, and helps me make right choices and form new eating habits......so I am creating a new lifestyle of eating - not a "diet" that will end. At first, I thought alot about the points and was a little obsessive - but if you are following the program (not just doing it occasionally or w/o the support of meetings or an online group) it soon becomes second nature......i.e. you've changed your eating habits and changed your weight and your life!;)

It is difrent for everyone, I know my portion sizes, but haveing to write evrything down truly makes me feel like I am on a DIET and never journal for more then 4 days before I get sick of it. Other then the fried potato foods I eat, my diet is well portioned, and personaly it is all about activity for me more then aything. I sit to much. I did ww for a year and lost a whole 10 lbs. But what does not work for one will for anouther. I lost 40 in 3 months by exercising. So I know what I need to do for me. And the WW meeting I went to everyone was my senior by 20+ years, so that did not motivate me at the time. I learned one important thing and that was to pay atention to the portion size. I just can't wake up and change all my eating habits at once (and to me that is what also makes it feel like a diet). I wish I could. We ALL wish we could! :D

You could always give each a try. One week try the flex and then the next try the core. You have to stay on the same plan the whole week. You can not flip flop mid week. I did the flex then gave the core a try and found I lost more with the core but was a B**CH while giving up my sweets and carbs! So I know now, flex is for me!

schel said:
You could always give each a try. One week try the flex and then the next try the core. You have to stay on the same plan the whole week. You can not flip flop mid week. I did the flex then gave the core a try and found I lost more with the core but was a B**CH while giving up my sweets and carbs! So I know now, flex is for me!
this was something I was thinking about!
Thanks!:thumbup: :) :balloon:

Not a bad idea to have a Weight Watchers thread for weekly meetings here if you think about it! I know I need to rejoin and stick with it this time. I am waiting for the join for free thing to come in the mail again. I am planning on taking the dog for a walk starting on Monday.

where is the WW weekly thread?The only thing that worries me about doing PC is my weight. I don't go to WW so this would be helpful to me. I am just starting back with PC.
I love the deserts, I never eat at a show but I do try the recipe out at home first. :eek:

You don't give up carbs on Core - Certain carbs such as rice, pasta and potatoes are limited and you have to count points for bread.

Personally when I eat fruit I crave carbs less then I lose more weight

I have a WW Chocolate Smoothie almost everynight too Chocolate, Calcium and YUM!!

Ok... dum da dum dum....drum roll....
The card came in my mail to join for FREE!!
So; I shall be joining on Wednesday August 29 the day after I go to the State Fair!
So here we go!

I wish I had received a free registration card! I joined last week and so far, so good. I love the e-tools and doing the journaling on line works well for me!
1/2 my week has been good and 1/2 has been okay.... I'm doing the catering for my friends step son's wedding and there is a lot of tasting going on!;) :rolleyes: :eek: :D
I will let everyone know more in an update later, right now I"m pooped and my arms hurt and my carpul tunnel crap is making my hands numb!:yuck: :mad: :cry: :(

MissChef said:
I wish I had received a free registration card! I joined last week and so far, so good. I love the e-tools and doing the journaling on line works well for me!
1/2 my week has been good and 1/2 has been okay.... I'm doing the catering for my friends step son's wedding and there is a lot of tasting going on!;) :rolleyes: :eek: :D
I will let everyone know more in an update later, right now I"m pooped and my arms hurt and my carpul tunnel crap is making my hands numb!:yuck: :mad: :cry: :(

Shoot, me to!
I have a coupon with mine to give to a friend!

MissChef said:

One thing a lady at one of my meetings a while back said she puts crest white strips in while cooking so she does not sample and then eat a meal on top of it. Others said they chew gum, or have toothpicks in their mouths while preparing food. I havn't tried any, but I will invest in the crest white strips and have beautiful white teeth while loosing weight!

That's a good idea! I will do that at home! While I'm cooking for the reception, I do want to be able to taste though, because I want to make sure everything tastes right, kwim?! I could put a piece of gum in my mouth after the first bite though!!!
Thanks for the tip!;)

MissChef said:
That's a good idea! I will do that at home! While I'm cooking for the reception, I do want to be able to taste though, because I want to make sure everything tastes right, kwim?! I could put a piece of gum in my mouth after the first bite though!!!
Thanks for the tip!;)

Give it a try! Or wait till all is done and prepared and then taste and alter after it is all made if that is something you could do. If you cook like me thought I understand having to taste, thats how I cook also.
Good luck!

1. Can you explain the Flex Plan and Core Plan?

The Flex Plan and Core Plan are two different weight loss programs offered by Weight Watchers. The Flex Plan is a points-based system where every food is assigned a point value, and members are given a certain number of points to use each day. The Core Plan, on the other hand, focuses on eating a variety of healthy, filling foods without counting points.

2. Which one would work best for me?

The best plan for you depends on your individual preferences and needs. If you prefer more structure and accountability, the Flex Plan may be a good fit for you. If you want more freedom in your food choices and do not want to track points, the Core Plan may be a better option.

3. Is the weight loss faster on one plan over the other?

The weight loss results will vary for each individual and may depend on factors such as adherence to the plan, exercise habits, and metabolism. Both the Flex Plan and Core Plan have been shown to be effective for weight loss.

4. Is the Core Plan based on healthier foods?

The Core Plan emphasizes eating whole, unprocessed foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains. This can lead to a healthier overall diet, but it also allows for some indulgences in moderation.

5. What is the difference between the Flex Plan and Core Plan?

The main difference between the two plans is the approach to food. The Flex Plan focuses on counting points for all foods, while the Core Plan encourages eating from a list of approved foods without counting points. Additionally, the Flex Plan allows for more flexibility in food choices, while the Core Plan has more restrictions on what can be eaten without counting points.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• NewbyPChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Kodeysmom
  • pctharper
  • General Chat
Replies