• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

WW (Weight Watchers): Momentum vs Points - What's Changed?

the program that provides points to you for foods and allows you to eat anything you want as long as you have the points for it. It has been around for a while, and I think they just renamed it to make it sound more cutting edge (I'm not sure if that's what they called it).
heat123
Silver Member
I am looking into trying WW again (for a 3 month subscription) but can anybody tell me about Momentum? Do they combine that with Pts. system or are they seperate from eachother? Pts. Vs Momentum?? I was confused when I went to the website. I swear when I tried it before it was called something else started with a C something maybe Core?? I think??? That was over a year ago. TIA!

Momentum is just the fancy new name they gave to the program. It was "Winning Points" then "Flex vs. Core" and now "Momentum". It operates on the same basic points system it has for the past 8 years or more. Some of the points values of foods may have changed from way back in the day, but it's not much different at all. Same basic principles.

So Momentun is Just the Points system then, correct?

I was in the program when they switched to Momentum. We were at the meeting and kept asking the leader if it were basically the same and she kept saying, "no". However, she never really gave an answer to how the program was different. I got a little frustrated with that (and the point counting). Good luck with your goal!!

Chef Kearns said:
I was in the program when they switched to Momentum. We were at the meeting and kept asking the leader if it were basically the same and she kept saying, "no". However, she never really gave an answer to how the program was different. I got a little frustrated with that (and the point counting). Good luck with your goal!!

Yeah, because I too was confused on the website, it had "momentum" and "points" in different categories but couldn't find info on points just the momentum???

Thanks, my goal is 6 more lbs, then "maintaining" that goal! :)

Just like everyone else said it is the same, but I noticed that they're going about it differently than they did with core. The meetings I had gone to, core seemed to be this very difficult status to achieve, whereas the Momentum is supplementing the points.

I think the website purposely doesn't give details because they want you to go to the meetings! I think all "diet" programs are like this, they give you just enough info to get you in the door!

I just started WW again for the 3rd time! I love their program and I have done it after each of my children were born. IMHO it is the safe, healthy, and they aren't a TON of restictions or things you CAN'T eat. I can eat ANYTHING I want as long as I have the points to do it. Such an easy program to follow, and when you loose the weight and "stop" counting points you have the mindset of what are good choices and moderation. Good luck!

The only differeence that I saw when I joined again is that they have this list of filling foods and you are suppused to make a lot of your food choices from this list. They are listed with green diamonds next to the name.

mscharf said:
I think the website purposely doesn't give details because they want you to go to the meetings! I think all "diet" programs are like this, they give you just enough info to get you in the door!

I just started WW again for the 3rd time! I love their program and I have done it after each of my children were born. IMHO it is the safe, healthy, and they aren't a TON of restictions or things you CAN'T eat. I can eat ANYTHING I want as long as I have the points to do it. Such an easy program to follow, and when you loose the weight and "stop" counting points you have the mindset of what are good choices and moderation. Good luck!

Thanks for the 411! I agree, once I meet my goal, I hope to maintain it and will know what foods to eat (portion wise) after all is said and done. I will sign up today, I think. ;)

I agree in regards to finding the filling foods. Those that are high in fiber keep you fuller longer. I love the point system-I do miss the fact that using the on-line system, we do seem to miss alot of the things shared at a meeting but it is easier for me to do it online.
I have lost 21 lbs in two months so I am thrilled!!! I have 88 to go to goal! So 1/5 of the way there and it is so easy! I do incorporate their recipes into my cooking shows and everyone seems to enjoy the healthy eating.

I would call Momentum, "Points Plus." To replace the Core Program, they came up with another option where you can take a set number of points (called, "Setpoints") for a food item like Chicken.

For Example, say you are at a buffet and are having trouble tracking points for portion sizes. You can take the setpoints value (eg 10) for chicken instead of tracking your portion sizes (3 points per portion). This only works for certain foods, as marked in the points finder listings. I think they are now the "filling foods."

I just made up the points values, so don't go off thinking that the setpoints for chicken is 10. :)

I've been wobbling on joining, i too was confused by their website. Do i need point counters etc... Helppp....

DEBBI said:
I've been wobbling on joining, i too was confused by their website. Do i need point counters etc... Helppp....

I just signed online... you punch in what you eat all day and track your points that way, with your allotted pts total for each day and your activity level. Hope that helps. Not sure how you do it LIVE at meetings and points tracking? Vs. Online?

If you do it "live" you get a weekly paper tracker and you figure out your daily points. I need the "live" meetings for the accountability of the weigh in. The meeting and tips are great, but I NEED the "getting on the scale in front of someone" aspect of it!

I joined WW last Jan. @ work. I definately appreciated all the help and information we got at the meetings and I tracked all the time. I made goal and lost 43 pounds by Nov. and have maintained so far. Sure some days I just have to have extra goodies and I don't track so much anymore. Tomorrow is another day. I would reccommend it to everyone.

byrd1956 said:
I joined WW last Jan. @ work. I definately appreciated all the help and information we got at the meetings and I tracked all the time. I made goal and lost 43 pounds by Nov. and have maintained so far. Sure some days I just have to have extra goodies and I don't track so much anymore. Tomorrow is another day. I would reccommend it to everyone.

Just a ???? for a more experienced WWer... if you go over your "daily" pts limit and dip into your "weekly reserve" that just means you won't lose as fast right??? This is my 2nd day, I went over by 2 pts yesterday and 1 pt. today.:eek::cry:
I thought this would be easier than counting calories but I seem hungrier at the end of each day, than when Low caloring it???:confused: But yet, the calories seem more in calculating what I was eating before? Strange I tell ya!:eek:

That is correct however if you are earning activity points, you still have those that are extra too. I find for myself to really pay attention to hunger pains! I drink alot of water, have a V-8 low sodium which fills me up, I eat high fiber food which also fills me up and I make certain to get in 3 fruits a day! The high fiber and water truly help keep you full.

you may or may not loose as fast.... at first I did go over some until I got use to eating less and of course eating more fiber. Eventually I got to where I didn't use my extra 35. Some of the girls would be so good and hardly lose a thing and others would have had what they call a bad week and loose 3 or so pounds! If I was hungry at the end of the day I would make myself eat some carrots or celery. Or I'd do air popcorn and pig out! I do like popcorn, though. Good luck, If you need someone to 'talk' to and you don't see me on here, just e-mail me. I have gotten a pretty good collection of recipes over the past year and I love my adapted chili recipe that is only 1 point for 3 cups!

smart2cook said:
That is correct however if you are earning activity points, you still have those that are extra too. I find for myself to really pay attention to hunger pains! I drink alot of water, have a V-8 low sodium which fills me up, I eat high fiber food which also fills me up and I make certain to get in 3 fruits a day! The high fiber and water truly help keep you full.

Oh, I didn't get how the "acitvity pts" worked? I have accumlated activity 11pts so far, so you can add those points (each daily activity) to your total daily points??????

I bought the Fiber one bars as my snacks and V8 sounds like a good idea:rolleyes:. Thanks!

Love the Arnold's Rounds for my bread..only one point and you actually feel like you are eating bread...it makes great sandwiches, toast, pizzas, etc. I too drink mostly just water. I use to drink whole milk all the time and now 1% is fine w/me. WW is a life change. I'm glad my friend suggested we try it.

It will actually subtract if you go over from your activity points first I think before your 35.
I try very hard to eat within my points period because my goal is to lose-and I know that it is a matter of making adjustments and changing my own habits. Yogurts with that Fiber One Cereal is very filling and the Fiber One counts as zero points-yogurt 1 pt. that is a good healthy snack anytime. If you find the time maybe those with the great recipes wouldn't mind sharing with us here. I think that those of us that do it online miss some really good recipes at meetings LOL

byrd1956 said:
Love the Arnold's Rounds for my bread..only one point and you actually feel like you are eating bread...it makes great sandwiches, toast, pizzas, etc. I too drink mostly just water. I use to drink whole milk all the time and now 1% is fine w/me. WW is a life change. I'm glad my friend suggested we try it.

I actually like the ezyckiel (spelling) sprouted bread at 1 pt each:D. And I drink water mostly all day, except when I have sweet a craving, I add crystal light to the water.:p

Flaxseed, wheat, and bran muffins

High fiber, healthy breakfast muffin

INGREDIENTS
1 C.flaxseed ground
1 C whole wheat flour
1 C. Oat Bran
1 C. Brown sugar
2 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp. Cinnamon
1 1/2 C. shredded Carrots
2-3 Apples, cored and chopped up or shredded
1/2 C. Chopped nuts (optional)
1/2 c. Raisins (optional)
3/4 C. 2 % milk
2 Eggs, beaten
1 tsp. Vanilla

DIRECTIONS
Mix flour, flaxseed, bran, sugar and dry ingredients together. Shred carrots and apples and add these along with optional raisins and nuts to dry ingredients. Mix well. Stir together milk eggs and vanilla and stir this into batter until well moistened. Fill cupcake papers until 3.4 full and bake at 350* for 20 to 25 minutes.
Makes 24 med muffins.
( freeze them in ziplock bag, then just pull one out each morning and will be ready to eat 20 minutes later on the way to work! )

Number of Servings: 24

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user KIMBERK24.

Nutritional Info

Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 115.7

Total Fat: 3.4g

Total Carbs: 20.8g

Dietary Fiber: 2.8mg

2pts. Each :)

Cabbage Vegetable Soup

Brought To Your Kitchen From SparkPeople Member: LBBROCK195

INGREDIENTS
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 medium onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
3 medium carrots, diced
1 head cabbage, shredded
1 14.5 oz can green beans
1 12 oz can sweet yellow corn
1 15 oz can pinto beans
soy ground "beef" (optional, not included in nutritional information)

DIRECTIONS
1. Place tomatoes, onion, celery, carrots, and cabbage in a pot, simmer over medium heat until tender.

2. Add canned vegetables. Heat.

Serves 12

Nutritional Info

Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 125.1

Total Fat: 0.9g

Total Carbs: 26.4g

Dietary Fiber: 8.3mg

Protein: 6.4g

2pts per 1 cup serving :)

I too love the sandwich thins for everything to include my buns for a homemade burger!
I also like the new bagel thins also! Both just 100 calories and have fiber. Thank you for the recipes! Sounds delicious! I also use ground turkey alot more than lean ground beef.
Salad is a good filler and good for your vegetable intake and pretty free in points-just watch the dressing!

I got the Wishbone Spray Ranch Dressing. 10 sprays are 20 calories and it has 0 points! :) I am amazed how far 20 sprays goes too! I also found some Green Giant frozen veggies with a "Weight Watchers 0 points" tag on them! There is 4 individual servings that you microwave! I got 3 varieties: Broccoli & Cheese, Broccoli, Carrots & Italian Seasoning, and Cauliflower and Cheese Sauce! I stood in the bread aisle at Walmart on Saturday with my Points Calculator (I have the electronic one), checking out the calories/fat/fiber in each kind of bread I was wanting. I got Sara Lee mini blueberry bagels that are one point each; Healthy Life Hamburger Wheat Buns that are one point each; and Nature's Own Honey Wheat Bread for 2 slices for 1 point. My daughter made a homemade pizza using our pizza crust mix and ground turkey, ground turkey sausage, pepperoni, shredded cheese and bacon. Each 1/8 of the pizza was 5 points...much better than one out! I do Wii Fit at least 5 nights a week and try to do it all 7. I bought the WW pedometer (great investment) and I can see how many steps I take per day. I noticed on Friday that I only had 500 around lunchtime so I went to Walmart and walked around the store. I also went to Target and did the same thing. I use the buggy (shopping cart to all you non-Southerners to help stabilize me). For those of you who don't know, I walk with a cane. I used that as an excuse not to walk but have realized I CAN do it! I ended up with 6500+ steps (over 1.5 miles and 3 activity points for me). I am down 7.2 pounds per WW scales at the meetings and 11 per the Wii Fit scales! Now that Spring has finally come to East TN, I walked outside with the kids yesterday about 3/4 mile. I use Maggi's stroller like a walker for me and it helps me get a good stride going! If you are on Facebook, there is a Weight Watchers fan page. You may have to "report/block" some weirdos that have been coming on there lately, making fun of "fat people" in cruel ways. It does offer a lot of support if you get all those crazies blocked!

smart2cook said:
I too love the sandwich thins for everything to include my buns for a homemade burger!
I also like the new bagel thins also! Both just 100 calories and have fiber. Thank you for the recipes! Sounds delicious! I also use ground turkey alot more than lean ground beef.
Salad is a good filler and good for your vegetable intake and pretty free in points-just watch the dressing!

Oh, I just saw those thin bagels! I should have grabbed them but I wasn't in a hurry, I will next time though at only 100 calories!?!? Wow! What are sandwich thins again?

Wow Heather you are doing GREAT!!! Thanks for sharing your findings I will have to look for those vegetables! My whole family has to eat what I eat LOL though their portions may be different-everyone eats healthier around here.
Sandwich thins or Deli-flats under brands of Orowheat and Pepperidge Farms that I know of. I buy them in the bulk warehouse's where I save some money that way.

smart2cook said:
Wow Heather you are doing GREAT!!! Thanks for sharing your findings I will have to look for those vegetables! My whole family has to eat what I eat LOL though their portions may be different-everyone eats healthier around here.
Sandwich thins or Deli-flats under brands of Orowheat and Pepperidge Farms that I know of. I buy them in the bulk warehouse's where I save some money that way.

Thanks, I looked online and now I know what to look for at the store!;)

smart2cook said:
It will actually subtract if you go over from your activity points first I think before your 35.
I try very hard to eat within my points period because my goal is to lose-and I know that it is a matter of making adjustments and changing my own habits. Yogurts with that Fiber One Cereal is very filling and the Fiber One counts as zero points-yogurt 1 pt. that is a good healthy snack anytime. If you find the time maybe those with the great recipes wouldn't mind sharing with us here. I think that those of us that do it online miss some really good recipes at meetings LOL

Which Fiber one bar do you buy or what cereal? I have the 90 calorie chocolate one bar but count those as 1 point!??
I also eat the Dannon activia light, 1 pointer! YUM! :)

I had the progresso light chix noodle soup and it was 2pts for 2 cups :).. good filling snack!:D

I love the soup! So filling! I buy The Original Bran Fiber One Cereal. It is good even alone for a crunchy snack and easy to put in a little snack bag and carry in your purse.
I buy the Fiber One Plus-I am not looking so much at the calories as I am the fiber amount and then the points too. Also if you have a Kroger Store near you they have their own Healthy Brand of Ice Cream, Snack Bars, Instant Oatmeal, Cereal and Yogurt that comes in a green container that is called Active Lifestyle. I love those!!!

Alyson's Vegetarian Chili

This vegetarian chili can be made on the stove top or in a slow cooker. It's great for cold winter days - serve with fat free cheese and sour cream as garnish!

INGREDIENTS
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans - drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can black beans - drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can light red kidney beans - drained and rinsed
1 (15oz) can dark red kidney beans - drained and rinsed

2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes

2 cups celery, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
1 medium red onion, diced

2 T ground cumin
3 T garlic powder
4 T chili powder

DIRECTIONS
Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat, spraying with cooking spray. Cook vegetables until they are slightly soft - about 6-7 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, beans and spices in a large dutch oven or slow cooker. When vegetables are done, add them to the mixture and combine thoroughly.

For Dutch Oven: Simmer for 3-4 hours on low, stirring every so often.

For Slow Cooker: Simmer for 6-7 hours on high.

Number of Servings: 8

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user AEGARRISON.

Nutritional Info

Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 279.8

Total Fat: 2.2g

Total Carbs: 58.4g

Dietary Fiber: 15.5mg

5pts per cup

Last edited:
leftymac said:
Momentum is just the fancy new name they gave to the program. It was "Winning Points" then "Flex vs. Core" and now "Momentum". It operates on the same basic points system it has for the past 8 years or more. Some of the points values of foods may have changed from way back in the day, but it's not much different at all. Same basic principles.

Yup! I have been on it for 5 weeks now and have lost 16 pounds!! :D
It works!!!
I do have a question for all of you out there though...
Does Pampered Chef have WW's friendly recipes??? Most of them do look healthy.

emiscookin said:
Yup! I have been on it for 5 weeks now and have lost 16 pounds!! :D
It works!!!
I do have a question for all of you out there though...
Does Pampered Chef have WW's friendly recipes??? Most of them do look healthy.

That's Awesome!:D Were you very strict about your daily points or did you use your "weekly " or Activity reserve points? Just wondering, how my success will be after my first week, I have gone over a point or 2 almost each day! :(

Never mind, I just checked the scale and am down 2lbs after almost a week on WW :D. Whoohoooo for WW! :p

Good for you!!! Do you weigh on a regular day each week? We look forward to our Sunday morning weigh in's LOL!

I do stick to my points but that is because of my food choices and I get full.
PC recipes can be tweaked to be healthier for WW and there is documents where people have been so kind as to go out there and list the points for each recipe.
I still cook very healthy though so those points could be less with the tweaking.

smart2cook said:
Good for you!!! Do you weigh on a regular day each week? We look forward to our Sunday morning weigh in's LOL!

Well with the Biggest loser competition I am in, we do Monday weigh ins. :) But our last weigh in will be next Easter sunday, due to everyone NOT wanting to diet on Easter day! lol
I just happened to check the scale saturday, wanting to see where I was at, after 6 days doing WW:p

Okay so today I am thinking that I should join WW meetings. Do any of you do both meetings and on-line-how does that work for you??????

smart2cook said:
Okay so today I am thinking that I should join WW meetings. Do any of you do both meetings and on-line-how does that work for you??????

I go to the meetings. I do the monthly pass which includes e-tools. I don't really like using the etools for tracking points. My computer takes too long to load the tracker. I like the recipe builder where you can put your own recipe in and the number of servings and it gives you the points per serving. I also like the weight tracker which charts your weight so you can see visually if you're going up or down. I still need the accountability of weighing at the meetings.

I like the e-tool features that you mentioned as well. I personally am not a person that needs accountability but my daughter does and since we are doing this together I think that we could benefit from this. Seems like the monthly pass is less expensive than the weekly meeting price.

I love the easiness and availablity of onlining all day, anytime. I don't need support from actual people, but I like this virtual support we have going on! :p

Oh and Whoohooo, I am down 14.2lbs since we started our Biggest loser challenge! :D 2.5- on my first week of WW! :p
Bascially I Upped my exercise from 3x a week to 7days a week on average. :) Adding a variety of classes (rather than just Zumba).
And lowered my calorie intake for the majority of the competition, until recently adding WW. :) My goal is 4-8 more lbs then maintanece with WW. :)

Congratulations!!! That is terrific!!! I am going to a meeting today to see if that is what I am going to add to what I am doing!

smart2cook said:
Congratulations!!! That is terrific!!! I am going to a meeting today to see if that is what I am going to add to what I am doing!

Thanks and GOOD LUCK! :);)

Whohooo, week 2 on WW... another 2lbs! Bringing my entire biggest loser competition to a close at 16lbs! :p YEAY! I will continue on WW and hope for another 4-6lbs an then maintanence time! :D

Congratulations Heather!! Just signed up the Saturday before Easter (finally got into a location) and I am so glad I did! There is sooooooooo much more info given out there that is lost on the on-line only program. I think that if a person starts WW for the first time-they should go there to the meetings first and as they feel more comfortable they can always down grade their membership but that is me! Except for that weight gain week I have continued to lose on Weight Watcher's so I am excited about their program!

Thanks! Good for you! Good Luck to you on WW! :) I am liking it soo far! ;)

I've lost 11.4 pounds so far! Weigh in is tonight. Wish me luck!

caraighan said:
I've lost 11.4 pounds so far! Weigh in is tonight. Wish me luck!

Lots o Luck! :)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookingwithlove
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
cookingwithlove
  • chellb1234
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chellb1234