• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Weight Watchers Program Success?

In summary, Has anyone done Weight Watchers and been successful with your weight loss? did you do it with the in-person meetings or online? My new insurance offers Weight Watchers to us for free. I love weight watchers. I wasn't sure about posting because I have only been a little successful. I have not been able to get good support at home for healthy eating (my fault for not being specific enough, I think). I love junk and I am easily tempted. However..it is a great program. One of my friends and coworkers (we have weight watchers at work, which is great because we support each other) has lost about 60 pounds. It is phenomenal. She looks so much better; her
lockhartkitchen
Has anyone done Weight Watchers and been successful with your weight loss? did you do it with the in-person meetings or online? My new insurance offers Weight Watchers to us for free.

I love weight watchers. I wasn't sure about posting because I have only been a little successful. I have not been able to get good support at home for healthy eating (my fault for not being specific enough, I think). I love junk and I am easily tempted.

However..it is a great program. One of my friends and coworkers (we have weight watchers at work, which is great because we support each other) has lost about 60 pounds. It is phenomenal. She looks so much better; her skin is nicer, she is clearly happier, and has more energy. I recommend trying it, but it does help to 1) find a meeting you like, 2) get support from family and coworkers.

love it!! been doing program since Jan down 25lbs. I am also doing a total body transformation 10 week program and lost 10.25 inches in my 1st 10 weeks. I love goimg to the meetings bc of the information we share. We have a very vocal and open group. go for it and good luck.

I have been living weight watchers for about 8 years now. About 6 years ago, I met my goal by losing 50 lbs. Kept it off for about about a year and quit going to my once a month meeting/weigh in and gained about 30 back, so I am back on track now. You have to make a committment to change your eating habits, not just diet to lose the weight and then go back to the way you were eating before. If you treat it like a "diet" then it will end like every other diet you have tried, you will lose, but once you get off of that diet, you gain it all back. WW is a lifestyle change. It is about eating healthy.I really like that I can eat healthy for the majority of the time, but if I want to splurge, I can. You just can't let the splurge happen all of the time. It is all about choices.I did the meetings and for me, I have to do the meetings for it to work with me. I have a couple of friends that have been successful with online, but for me, I like the meetings. It is the 30 minutes a week that I take out for me. I turn my phone off and absorb everything they are saying. You get lots of hints and tips from others in the meetings. Sometimes, yes, I roll my eyes at what they say, but for the most part, they are right on target. Many times, the meetings end up being about what I happen to be struggling with at that very moment. When that happens, it can be very powerful and motivating.If you do, sign up for the monthly pass, it is cheaper and you get free e-tools which is great. If you have an iphone, you can download the app for e-tools and do all of your tracking on your phone.

I joined WW after my first child was born and lost 50 lbs. Got down to less than I weighed for my wedding. It helped that I was a nursing mom at the time. I got to eat more! This was before I joined PC. I went to meetings and picked up a lot of tips from people there. But I went during the day so it was usually a lot of older ladies who never seemed to lose weight. I recently moved and hadn't thought about finding a meeting near me that might have more people for me to interact with. Their recognition program is rewarding if you like getting kudos for losing your first 5 lbs, etc. Having to get on the scale every week is good accountability.

I've been doing the online program on an off without much success b/c I haven't been able to stick with it. I got back on it last week since the kids went back to school. My first goal is to lose 10% by Christmas cuz all the weight I lost before is back since I had another kid 5 yrs ago. I'm fine with the online program b/c I already know the program.

A friend across the country joined last fall by going to meetings and was successful. She, like many people, had to learn portion control.

I say give it a try. If you want an accountability buddy, we can help keep each other on track. What you will discover is that most PC recipes are not very WW friendly.

Another WW person here! I've been going about 5 years now. I lost over 40 lbs, and was within 8 lbs of my goal weight. I had been able to maintain my weight within 10 lbs of goal for quite a long time (a few years)- simply by going to meetings and keeping it fresh in my mind through the week. Then "life happened" and I wasn't going to meetings every week...skipping 1 or 2 here, another there, traveling, etc. (All of this mainly this summer). I thought I was doing well with eating habits, but it's the little things in life! A few weeks ago, I was within 4 lbs of my STARTING weight! :eek:I'm back to tracking and keeping track, and I've lost several pounds to jumpstart me back in the right direction. For me, it's the only thing that has worked. Going to meetings keeps it in my mind.It's not hard- you aren't forbidden foods. You just have to keep track of them. And by the way- I lost my weight with little "true exercise"...meaning I didn't go to the gym very often or walk, etc. Occasionally...but rarely more than 1-2xs a week, and not every week. My loss was mainly through my food choices and planning.maybe we should resurrect the "Health and Fitness" group or create a WW Accountability group? *hmmmmm...I should do that. Anyone want to join?*

Last edited:
I did WW religiously for 12 weeks, and lost 3 stinking pounds. I was miserable and obsessed with food the entire time, plus I couldn't get past the fact that all of the WW packaged "foods" were nothing but processed artificial non-food with artificial colors and sweeteners.

I guess everyone has a different idea of healthy eating - and WW isn't mine.:rolleyes:

I've since given up processed foods, most gluten, and refined sugars - and have effortlessly lost 16 lbs. this summer. A LOT easier and healthier for me.

ChefBeckyD said:
plus I couldn't get past the fact that all of the WW packaged "foods" were nothing but processed artificial non-food with artificial colors and sweeteners.

My WW leader who is now a close friend advised us to NOT eat WW foods. She would get in trouble all of the time because she didn't endorse their products. Too much processed and artificial stuff in them. She would encourage eating "real" food that we cooked and she was awesome at giving out recipes. I learned how to take practically any recipe and lower the points just by subsituting low fat ingredients. Of course, there are some things out there that you just can't, but for the most part, I was always able to find something that I could switch out.

I keep a few frozen meals in my freezer for those times that I don't have time to cook a meal for myself, but for the most part, I just cook and eat with low fat stuff and not worried about packaged foods. Eating the correct portion of "real" food will do wonders for your weight!

Becky makes a great point. You have to do what works for you.

I joined WW but the group wasn't sharing at all - just sat in the chairs, listened to the speaker and left. After a month or 2 I stopped going. Then I joined TOPS (take off pounds sensibly). The accountability, fellowship/support and the fact that someone was going to see my weight helped me get to my goal. I ate what I wanted but made good choices in smaller protions, wrote it all down, drank lots of water and walked every day and lost over 80 pounds. That was 2003. Since then lots of things have interrupted my lifestyle (I stopped going to meetings, had several surgeries - shoulder, knee, foot, CA -, Have continuing foot & knee problems, death in the family, etc, etc) and now I'm right back up there. Almost at exact the same weight I started at in 2002. I just re-joined TOPS yesterday and WILL get back down and STAY there.

Find what works for you and do it. WW is awesome for many, many people. I think it all depends on the group. ...and you don't have to eat their food, by the way.

Bobbi - if you want to start an accountability group, I'm in. Sounds like several of us have started/restarted a plan recently and with the holidays coming up, I'm going to need some support to stay on track. Doesn't have to be WW. I've also committed to exercising 5 times/wk. I'm old (!!!) and have realized my metabolism needs some weight training to really get the weight off.

I think no matter what weightloss group you are trying- just like us with PC Clusters- you really need a group that motivates!! I've been very lucky and have had 2 different leaders over the last 5 yrs and they are fantastic. Very energetic, which gets ideas flowing from the group.I also do not eat much if any of the WW Products. My body can't tolerate nearly any artificial sweeteners at all. I do like some of the chips- but really for the cost, I just get "regular" food. I've never done WW by eating their foods...I eat real food all the time, and being a PC person- I do it even more now since I cook alot more. So I'm sure alot has to do with the groups/meetings. If they push push push the WW Product as the answer, ugh. There are a lot of good foods out there for healthy living that do not have artificial crap. You have to find what works for you as Becky said.****
New group created: Weightloss Support & Accountability

I tried it in April and lost 5lbs or so after I was doing a low cal diet. I must have hit a plataue with low cal so WW worked.

I stoped the online program and then I gained a few lbs back, so I started it up again, solo (and kept my org. 19pts) and the 1st week I went back on it.. I lost 5lbs in a week! So I was Thrilled about that! Will see how much I lose this week (but it's now down to the last 5lbs or so) so they might be slower to come off. It works, if you stick with it and exercise is KEY I think no matter what diet you are doing. ;) Good luck

Doing WW and only eating their food is like using Pampered Chef tools and only making pampered chef recipes. You have to live in the real world and use the "tools" of WW and fit them into your life. I love that about the points system of WW. If I am going to a party where I know I will be eating high points, I am reminded to eat low points food throughout the day like veggies. If I didn't have that number in the back of my head all day I would be more likely go off track. Plus it is great to go through your cabinets and realize what are high points and what are low, it really gives you a new perspective.
Another good alternative if you are online person is sparkpeople.com it is free and there are WW groups and message boards that are pretty active. There are pretty much any group you want - even 30 day shred (jilian michaels) group. :)
Mara

I was also going to mention sparkpeople.com. I LOVE it!! When I track, I lose weight. It's that simple! I haven't been tracking lately, so I need to get back into it (actually tracked this morning, lol!). Sparkpeople even has an app for my BlackBerry, which means I can track no matter where I am! I can look up foods as I'm standing in the grocery store if I want!! Better yet, when I go out, that info is right at hand.

I tried WW and counting points. I lost 20 lbs just like I did on every other diet in my life, then hit a wall and gained it all back.Tried low-carb and lost more than 40 pounds before I quit and gained that back too.I find the gluten free alternative interesting and may start trying that next.

I think "the wall" is ME, not the diet or lifestyle adjustment/change. Frankly...I LIKE food too much. :) I DON'T like exercise! I don't like taking the time it requires. I told my DH once that losing weight was overrated! So I know in my mind, it's not the program, it's the choices I am making. It does sometimes take a little knowledge about how our bodies work. Your body is very intelligent! It will know when it's not getting the usual. You have to "change it up" now and then to keep it guessing....that's were the exercise routines (vary them) come in usually. Or with WW, we get those extra 35 pts. USE them sometimes, maybe not others! If your body thinks it's "starving", it will conserve!Anyway....head knowledge. I've got it. Just like with my PC biz....it's the APPLICATION of the knowledge and following through on what I know I should do (i.e- be it picking up the phone or meal planning!). :D

esavvymom said:
I think "the wall" is ME, not the diet or lifestyle adjustment/change. Frankly...I LIKE food too much. :) I DON'T like exercise! I don't like taking the time it requires. I told my DH once that losing weight was overrated!

So I know in my mind, it's not the program, it's the choices I am making. It does sometimes take a little knowledge about how our bodies work. Your body is very intelligent! It will know when it's not getting the usual. You have to "change it up" now and then to keep it guessing....that's were the exercise routines (vary them) come in usually. Or with WW, we get those extra 35 pts. USE them sometimes, maybe not others! If your body thinks it's "starving", it will conserve!

Anyway....head knowledge. I've got it. Just like with my PC biz....it's the APPLICATION of the knowledge and following through on what I know I should do (i.e- be it picking up the phone or meal planning!). :D

Amen, sister. Same here. One tip I picked up at a WW meeting was to change what you have for breakfast every day. I eat the same Go Lean Crunch but will sub it out when I have time to cook an egg and turkey bacon. Just a little switcheroo to keep the body guessing.

Maragib said:
Doing WW and only eating their food is like using Pampered Chef tools and only making pampered chef recipes. You have to live in the real world and use the "tools" of WW and fit them into your life. I love that about the points system of WW. If I am going to a party where I know I will be eating high points, I am reminded to eat low points food throughout the day like veggies. If I didn't have that number in the back of my head all day I would be more likely go off track. Plus it is great to go through your cabinets and realize what are high points and what are low, it really gives you a new perspective.
Another good alternative if you are online person is sparkpeople.com it is free and there are WW groups and message boards that are pretty active. There are pretty much any group you want - even 30 day shred (jilian michaels) group. :)
Mara

I never said I ate the WW food! :yuck::yuck::yuck: I should have explained further.

I would NEVER eat that stuff, but I thought that it had a lot to say about the mindset of the company if that's what they produce as "food". Also, when I was doing it, you could choose between two tracks (don't remember much about it any more) but the emphasis seemed to be on using Fat Free products as much as possible. If a food cannot naturally be made fat free, then I'm also not going to be eating that either. So - no fat free cheese, or fat free sour cream or cream cheese, and most fat free salad dressings are full of either sugar or artificial ingredients to make them palatable. I also won't eat artificial sweeteners - so that too was a road block.

I know - I'm a food fanatic :rolleyes::eek: - and get more so all the time. We try to eat organic, gluten/corn/refined sugar free as much as possible, and we don't use artificial sweeteners, or artificial food colorings. The WW plan just didn't fit with my idea of healthy eating - so it wasn't for me. I was just trying to present another side for the question that was asked. ;)

If a food cannot naturally be made fat free, then I'm also not going to be eating that either. So - no fat free cheese, or fat free sour cream or cream cheese, and most fat free salad dressings are full of either sugar or artificial ingredients to make them palatable.

Not only that, but with a dd who has to watch sodium intake...Low Fat or No Fat generally have a TON more sodium.

I did WW years ago, have talked about going back, need to do something!! I did really great on it, but I ate "normal" food and only used their desserts as a treat or reward for me. I could NOT have done it without having to go to meetings and being accountable to someone else with my weigh in. That's just me.

I joined WW originally for the wrong reason, I didn't want to be the FAT one of my sister's wedding.....well my diet/WW journey lasted longer than that marraige, but I was NOT the biggest one in attendants. But as soon as wedding was over I wasn't as careful and started gaining it back. I went to WW with a neighbor who said, over the years, I've gained and lost my entire family. I laughed at time...but looking back now....I know I've gained and lost a combo of my kids weights, that's not only scary, but extremely sad.

I wish my hubby's insurance covered going to WW or something like it, but so far it does not.

I know a friend lost a WHOLE ton on Jenny Craig, but she said, "I never learned how to eat "real" food, I did their packaged foods and once I couldn't afford to keep buying them, I gained even more." My aunt did the same with Nutrasystems.

I think it's just basic, we all have to commit to a new way of life, not a diet!
We have to move and watch what we put in our mouths. I'm doing a horrible job recently on that, but I'm paying for it, my legs HURT and my knees ache!! So I know I've got to get off my BUTT and MOVE!!

If someone starts a thread on here, I'll definitely be in it.

Lisa

Lisa- we started a "Group", but I may do a weekly check-in thread or something. :) We'll see. I always forget to check Groups for posts.I too wish my insurance covered the cost, BUT I've recently learned ours does offer incentives. They have their own "online" weightloss program...not real intensive with information...a few articles, meals, and tracking. But if i do the 6-week program through them, I should get a $100 credit towards our Account which I recently learned would help with Doctor Visit payments, keeping the payments a LITTLE lower (not by much!! Uggh). So I'm doing that along with my WW (it's about the same). Something is better than nothing!

I started the Weight Watchers program in March of this year and lost 50 pounds in 5 months. I am at the original goal I set for myself but would like to lose another 10 pounds.I went from a size 16/18 to a size 6/8. My blood pressure improved, my resting heart rate went from 86 to 44 (when I was younger and thinner, my heart rate was always low).I am incredibly happy with the program. I never really used my 35 bonus points -- and I walked for exercise 45 minutes, twice a day EVERY DAY. I started running and weight training recently...and my body is changing incredibly. My hips started at 46 inches and they are now 38 inches.The increase in energy can't be beat. I was always tired before because I was overweight and I was overweight because I was too tired to move (along with the BAD eating habits). Don't walk...RUN to the first meeting! It's free to join now, so go do it -- remember that there are no fat old people. Do you want to live or die? It's that easy. To be healthy takes a little work...so no matter what you choose for yourself, just do it!Hugs and best wishes!

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 371
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 325
  • Before & After.doc
    359.5 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:
Janice: You look fabulous! I can't believe the timing of this post/picture because I started WW yesterday! I actually weighted a little more than you so to see where you are now is such an incentive to me. Keep up the great work. You don't even look like th same person...so much younger! Thank you for sharing your success. :chef:

Janice - WOW!! You give me hope!!! What an amazing accomplishment. Good for you!!!

I might print your pictures and put them on my refrigerator! :D

Way to go Janice! You look awesome - keep up the good work ladies:) I just started for the last month keeping a food diary on my ipod touch. It's an app called Lose It and lets you keep track of your food intake throughout the day. You plug in each meal/snack's calories and it calculates how many calories you can eat while trying to lose weight. It also can track your exercise calories as well. I've got a goal to lose 20 lbs and so far have lost 5 pounds. I don't feel deprived in any way - it just makes me more accountable to myself and helps me plan out my meals better. Like today I went to Panera for lunch - looked up the nutrition menu online and chose a soup/salad combo for a mere 220 calories and I feel full! Good luck everyone:)

Thanks for the compliments, girls...and if you put me on the fridge, make sure I can't reach the ice cream! :p

I don't deprive myself either -- I just got back from dinner at Chili's with our oldest son (he's 29) and had chips & salsa and chix fajitas. All in moderation.

And now I am off to the treadmill for a run. Keep up the great work you guys!

Janice does look so much younger. That was my first thought too. Thank you for all the comments. Ironically, my insurance changes Oct. 1 and I'm losing many benefits and will paying a lot more out of pocket, but WW is free! I don't want a bandaid. I want to know how to change my eating habits and make a life change. I just got blood work back after fasting and chloesterol was very low. Great! But my triclycerides were more than 4x the high end. I need to get the weight off. This is the year for my health.

We are going for our annual blood work also -- and did you know that you should not have any alcohol for at least 24 hours before your test (even medication with alcohol like cough syrup)? It will skew your triglyceride results and could result in falsely elevated results.Who knew? Just an FYI.Oh, and thank you again for the compliments...I feel much younger, too!

What is the Weight Watchers program?

The Weight Watchers program is a weight loss and healthy lifestyle program that focuses on a balanced diet, exercise, and support from a community. It assigns a certain number of points to different foods and encourages members to stay within a specific daily point range to reach their weight loss goals.

How does the Weight Watchers program work?

The Weight Watchers program works by assigning a specific number of points to each food based on its nutritional value. Members are given a daily points target based on their age, weight, height, and gender. They can track their points using the Weight Watchers app or through paper tracking. The program also offers support through weekly meetings, virtual coaching, and online communities.

Is the Weight Watchers program effective for weight loss?

Yes, the Weight Watchers program has been proven to be effective for weight loss. A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that participants who followed the Weight Watchers program for one year lost an average of 5.3% of their body weight, which is more than those who followed other weight loss programs.

Can I eat all types of food on the Weight Watchers program?

Yes, the Weight Watchers program allows for flexibility in food choices. No food is off-limits, but some foods have higher points values than others. The program encourages members to make healthier food choices and to practice moderation with higher-point foods. It also offers recipes and meal ideas to help members stay within their daily points target.

Do I have to attend meetings to be successful on the Weight Watchers program?

No, attending meetings is not a requirement for success on the Weight Watchers program. While the meetings offer support and accountability, the program also offers virtual coaching and online communities for those who prefer to track their progress and receive support from home. Ultimately, success on the program depends on following the points system and making healthy lifestyle choices.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pamela
  • NewbyPChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Admin Greg