• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Feel Like a Failure as a Mommy...

In summary, the pediatrician is concerned that the lack of weight gain may be due to the fact that the child does not eat enough and recommends increasing the water intake and offering more fatty foods.
OMG I was almost in tears reading this thinking that you might be a terrible mother. What does that make me. My daughter just turned 3 last month and she only weighs 22.6 lbs. Some kids are just SMALL. I know that our DR has always been concerned about her weights and we have met with nutritionist, but if they won't eat then what do you do. PLEASE don't feel bad. My nephew was very small and he would eat NOTHING until he turned 5. Now he eats EVERYTHING. He is still very small, but you seriously can't feed the boy enough. My heart is bleeding for you, please just love your son for who he is and don't get down on yourself. If your doctor makes you feel bad then GET A NEW ONE!

You are not a bad mommy! All my life I have been under weight, and yes I eat. My kids are also under weight. It just runs in the family. Meds to gain weight:eek: ....NO WAY!!! It sounds like it runs in your family too. Nothing to worry about.

lacychef said:
I can't really add anything to what has already been said; just keep your head up cause you're not a bad mommy! Geez, you're in the south; aren't the men there supposed to be gentlemen? This doc sounds like a jerk & I would probably go elsewhere too.
My dd is one of the smallest in her class & she's 8. No medical reasons for her to be small, dh & I aren't real big people. She eats fine; just must have fast metabolism. (only problem is getting pants to fit at the waist, lol)

I hear you about the pants. My daughter is 6 years old and is a size 4 in the waist and a 6 in the length. Thank God for adjustable waist jeans. I wish they had them when I was growing up. I always had to dart my pants to keep them on. Not so much now since having 2 kids, but I'm still considered underweight. She is going to be the same way.

I just took my kiddos in to the dr.. they're sick.. (just a virus that is hanging on)
DD weighs 23 lbs at 2 yrs old.. DS weighs only 30 lbs at 45 months (almost 4) sorry your dr is being that way.. .. brush it off.. YOU'RE the Mom, and Moms ALWAYS know the most about their kids. I agree with all the other moms on here.. chin up.

No, he was 6'6 when he was born and only 3 weeks prior to my due date. He's always been a poor eatter. I've had a bad night again tonight. DH is still at work so I've had to handle all 3 major meals by myself. I just get so frustrated when he won't eat and throws his food. I made him a chocolate icecream milk shake and he only drank a couple of sips. So for supper, I got us a hamburger and fry from dairy queen and a strawberry milkshake. Well, he ate a few fries on the way home and then drank a few sips of his milkshake but nothing much. He decided it was more fun to fling the straw and see the milkshake go across the table. I just got so bent out of shape that I end up crying because he won't eat. I am trying so hard to get him to gain a pound. It's just overwhelming. I made him cinnamon rolls this morning and he only ate 2 bites. Then I gave him an orange and he ate a good bit of it. So, anyways, it's been a long day. I'm about to go make a grocery list and try to get out of this house tomorrow so I can quit obsessing over his diet. Thanks again for all your encouraging words and support.

wadesgirl said:
I was going to ask earlier if your son was born prematurely. That can sometimes be the cause of a child being below the "standards".

My friend has a son who is on the thin side too - he's 6 and weighs @ 36 pounds. My son is 6 and he weighs @ 44 pounds. Anyhow, she talked it over with the doctor and he told her NOT to give him pediasure, protein drinks, whole milk, or milk shakes because that will fill him up and he won't eat. Instead he said for her to give him water more often when he's thirsty (this child loves milk) so that he will be hungry more often and not full from the drinks. He's a fairly healthy eater when he does eat, very actice, and an overall healthy child - her doctor said not to obsess over it b/c it could affect the child in a negative manner.

If I were you and you are really worried about it I would find another doctor and go in for a consultation. In the meantime, if your child is healthy and happy then I wouldn't stress myself over it. One thing about children - they will eat when they are hungry and they will not starve themselves. Relax.

My neighbor's son doesn't eat much either (he is 14 now) but she says even as a toddler when she went to feed him baby food he would just shake his head no at her. She even now buys Ensure drinks for him. She makes a lot of carb foods. Pasta, rice, bread, buys whole milk, and she lathers the butter on waffles, pancakes. Her doctor even recommended making milkshakes. Milkshakes do have sugar (which we have to keep and eye on) but so does the milk our children are recommended to drink to build healthier bones. Her doctor told her he would rather have him thin than obese.

I wouldn't say you are a failure as a mommy, as long as your son is eating something and eating healthy I think you are doing GREAT as a mom!:)

pamperedlinda said:
My friend has a son who is on the thin side too - he's 6 and weighs @ 36 pounds. My son is 6 and he weighs @ 44 pounds. Anyhow, she talked it over with the doctor and he told her NOT to give him pediasure, protein drinks, whole milk, or milk shakes because that will fill him up and he won't eat. Instead he said for her to give him water more often when he's thirsty (this child loves milk) so that he will be hungry more often and not full from the drinks. He's a fairly healthy eater when he does eat, very actice, and an overall healthy child - her doctor said not to obsess over it b/c it could affect the child in a negative manner.

If I were you and you are really worried about it I would find another doctor and go in for a consultation. In the meantime, if your child is healthy and happy then I wouldn't stress myself over it. One thing about children - they will eat when they are hungry and they will not starve themselves. Relax.

I agree with you on the obsessing, when my neighbors son eat at our house he usually has seconds and thirds but at his house she is constantly on him about eating and he barely eats. I think if she laid off a little he will eat more and he will stop playing the game with her. My neighbors son is 14 and weighs 90lbs.

PCJen said:
I hear you about the pants. My daughter is 6 years old and is a size 4 in the waist and a 6 in the length. Thank God for adjustable waist jeans. I wish they had them when I was growing up. I always had to dart my pants to keep them on. Not so much now since having 2 kids, but I'm still considered underweight. She is going to be the same way.
Oh, I know....those adjustable pants are the best invention ever! I don't know what we'd do without them!

<h2>1. "Why is my 2 year old not gaining weight?"</h2><p>There can be many reasons for a child not gaining weight, including genetics, a picky eater, or an underlying medical condition. It's important to consult with your child's pediatrician to determine the cause and develop a plan for healthy weight gain.</p><h2>2. "What can I do to help my child gain weight?"</h2><p>Talk to your child's pediatrician about incorporating high-calorie, nutrient-dense foods into their diet, such as avocados, nut butters, and whole milk. You can also try making smoothies or shakes with added protein and healthy fats. It's important to offer a variety of foods and not force your child to eat, as this can create negative associations with mealtime.</p><h2>3. "Is it normal for a child to be in the 10th percentile for weight?"</h2><p>Every child is different and growth charts are just a general guideline. As long as your child is consistently following their own growth curve and is meeting their developmental milestones, being in the 10th percentile is not a cause for concern. However, if you have any concerns, it's always best to discuss them with your child's pediatrician.</p><h2>4. "Why did the pediatrician suggest putting my child on medication to gain weight?"</h2><p>In some cases, if a child is not gaining weight despite efforts to increase their calorie intake, a pediatrician may suggest medication to stimulate appetite. This should only be considered after other options have been explored and under the close supervision of a healthcare professional.</p><h2>5. "How can I cope with feeling like a failure as a mom due to my child's weight?"</h2><p>It's natural to feel worried and guilty when your child is not meeting certain expectations, but it's important to remember that your child's weight does not define your worth as a mother. Focus on providing a loving and supportive environment for your child, and trust in your pediatrician's guidance for their health and well-being.</p>

1. "Why is my 2 year old not gaining weight?"

There can be many reasons for a child not gaining weight, including genetics, a picky eater, or an underlying medical condition. It's important to consult with your child's pediatrician to determine the cause and develop a plan for healthy weight gain.

2. "What can I do to help my child gain weight?"

Talk to your child's pediatrician about incorporating high-calorie, nutrient-dense foods into their diet, such as avocados, nut butters, and whole milk. You can also try making smoothies or shakes with added protein and healthy fats. It's important to offer a variety of foods and not force your child to eat, as this can create negative associations with mealtime.

3. "Is it normal for a child to be in the 10th percentile for weight?"

Every child is different and growth charts are just a general guideline. As long as your child is consistently following their own growth curve and is meeting their developmental milestones, being in the 10th percentile is not a cause for concern. However, if you have any concerns, it's always best to discuss them with your child's pediatrician.

4. "Why did the pediatrician suggest putting my child on medication to gain weight?"

In some cases, if a child is not gaining weight despite efforts to increase their calorie intake, a pediatrician may suggest medication to stimulate appetite. This should only be considered after other options have been explored and under the close supervision of a healthcare professional.

5. "How can I cope with feeling like a failure as a mom due to my child's weight?"

It's natural to feel worried and guilty when your child is not meeting certain expectations, but it's important to remember that your child's weight does not define your worth as a mother. Focus on providing a loving and supportive environment for your child, and trust in your pediatrician's guidance for their health and well-being.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pcchefjane
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • mbh06
  • General Chat
Replies