• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Is Acid Reflux/Heartburn in Kids a Common Issue?

not an option now.My son has GERD. We have dealt with it since he was born and he is going on 10yrs old. A big one for him was keeping his head up at night, which meant me sleeping next to him for a long time...not an option now.
stefani2
AKA "Colic", "Milk Allergy"

When my DD was born - we realized after 6 months of HELL - that she was suffering from Acid Reflux. We coped best we could and were REALLY watching for signs when our DS came along. He had it as well - so both kids were treated with medication. Well, it is VERY rare that kids will continue to have these symptoms past 6 months (d/t their activity levels, sitting up more, crawling, etc.) and VERY VERY rare that kids will continue to have the symptoms past 1 yoa. My DS has NEVER done well at bedtime or through the night but it is getting worse. The last 6 weeks have been the worst EVER and there is nothing I can do but hold him absolutlely vertical with his head back looking up at the ceiling - poor thing. The food is going RIGHT through him (and making quite the mess!), OR he is refusing to eat. We have a PED appointment on Tuesday to HOPEFULLY put him back on medication.

Has ANYONE else gone through this with their kids??????

:cry:

is he allergic to milk? my DS was allergic to the protien in cows milk until he was about 3. hope you all find a treatment for the poor little guy

Susan - the PED told us that people misdiagnosed so many Acid Reflux cases as a Milk Allergy or Lactose Intolerance because switching from breast milk to formula or cows milk OR switching KINDS of formula usually 'fixes' the problem. Only in a very small percentage of the population does the problem NOT get fixed by trying these things. Therefore, they have to go on medication (1) to help their stomach empty and (2) to help slow down/stop the acid production in their stomach. Same as 'colic' - it is a slight case of acid reflux that MOST babies outgrown by 2 weeks of age. The next most common stage to outgrow it is 4-6 months. Very few last until 12 months of age. and an EVEN SMALLER percentage of the population last longer.

I can't remember everything that we used to do to help them. Elevate the head of their beds, hold them upright after drinking milk and while they go to sleep, eat smaller meals....but what else????? I don't remember.......

oh my...and i thought we had issues when DS had the allergy.

any issue with your kid is stressful. :)

My son had reflux too. He projectile vomited until he was about 10 months old. It was really fun, you never new how many times in a day you were going to have to change your clothes or what he was going to hit. They put him on meds for it, but they didn't really seem to help. I had one Dr tell me not to rock, pat, bounce or move him. Since he was a difficult baby to sooth that really wasn't much of an option either. I wish I had a great answer for you, but I don't, we just kinda lived with it. I am hoping and praying that this one doesn't have it too!

My DD had acid reflux. Later developed a milk allergy. I think I'd be tempted to go back to all the typical reflux "remedies" - raising the head of the crib, etc.How old is he now? Have there been any dietary changes lately. Could be an allergy or intolerance to a specific food that has led to his GI troubles.

Been there DONE THAT and doing it again NOW!!!! My daughter stayed on Nutramigen Formula (hypoallergenic) until 13 months old!! She was allergic to milk and its protiens and had acid reflux, and now my 4 month old is having the same issues! However we were giving my daughter Flinstone Vitamins and who would think that they had MILK in them! Not Vit D but MILK!!! So it was causing IBS! So she was on Medicine for IBS too until I looked at the vitamins! I was alway so careful with all her foods too! No WHEY or Casinene (milk protiens)

We tried Nutramigen with BOTH and neither took well to it.

DS is turning 3 on Saturday.

I am going to sit down and think about whether there have been any dietary changes - good idea!

He hasn't had a really bad 'case' of this since he was 6 months old.....

there's always a chance that he's picked up a virus. How long has the GI episode been going on?

REALLY BAD? - 6 weeks

My son has GERD. We have dealt with it since he was born and he is going on 10yrs old. A big one for him was keeping his head up at night, which meant me sleeping next to him for a long time with my arm under his head. I have found it subside with him not eating late at night, no chocolate late at night ever... and a lot of research. It is hit and miss. Low acid foods. Fried foods only early in the day. No popcorn. Popcorn triggered a lot of vomit for a very long time. Most kids get over it. My son has a problem with his esophagus not closing, ever. He got that from my dad. Just how we are genetically. He throws up at a moment's notice still sometimes and it is so frustrating for him. I just have learned to carry extra clothes and big towels in the van. We always have a bowl too. Medication helped a little, but not nearly as much as the change in diet... even though a lot said it had nothing to do with diet. It helped me to keep a food journal of what I fed him and his reaction within the first 2-3 hours of eating it, along with the time of day. Morning with a high acid food on an empty stomach was a bad idea. Aka, orange juice without first having a meal. Don't give up. We still have our bad days, but they are not nearly as bad as they where the first 5 years. I am lucky to be home and able to go to school when he needs me. Often I stay and volunteer in the class to help grade papers so I can help if he needs it. We had a really bad day today! Poor thing. But, like I say, it is better now than when he was small. Get the barium x-ray test if you can! That told us a lot! Here is a website that I found helpful,Gastroesophageal reflux disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but google GERD. There is a lot of helpful information out there. Hopefully it doesn't last long!

Last edited:
We had to put DS on Similac Sensitive. It's milk based but Lactose free.. it helped so much!

WOW Stephanie - Thank you! VERY VERY helpful.

The PED or Dr. NEVER mentioned diet ONCE to us - they just said to put them on medication. Anyways, it TOTALLY makes sense to watch their diet.

You ladies are super helpful! Glad to hear I am not alone with my kids having GERD.

*hugs*

Cole spits up a lot. We changed him to Enfamil GentleEase about two months ago b/c the Nutrimagen made him worse and the dr told us to save our money. He was much better up until about 2 weeks ago and not he is spitting up more and more. The Dr gave me a prescription to try that I may be filling soon if it does not get better. We have stared him on baby foods but it really does not seem any better or worse if he does or does not have it. Luke spit up tremendously as a baby too but the chanding of formula helped him.

I am going to give Cole a few more days and I will be trying the medicine if he does not get better. Our next check up is Sept 25th.

Jenna, good luck at the Pediatrician tomorrow! Let us know how it turns out!

My dd had acid reflux. Our doctor switched her to Soy Formula and she slept in her car seat in her crib for the first 7 months of her life. After 7 months she was fine. Once she started eating solid foods.

TY - I WILL let you know how we make out.

Cooper used to be on meds (Losec) to reduce the amount of acid in his stomach but he was also on another med to help his stomach empty. Food would sit in there for days! :yuck:

Hey Jenna. I have a very acidy child as well. He turned 2 in May and was on acid meds until then. He still is very underweight and doesn't eat great. I would try to take your son to a pediatric gastrologist and see what they say. My cousin's baby is going through it really bad right now. That child throws up all the time. In some cases, not likely yours, but in some, they do suggest surgery to correct something in there. In my cousin's case, they are wanting to do just that. Do you or your DH have acid really bad? It is heridatary.

1. What are the common symptoms of acid reflux/heartburn in kids?

The most common symptoms of acid reflux/heartburn in kids include frequent spitting up or vomiting, irritability during or after feedings, difficulty swallowing, and coughing or wheezing.

2. Can acid reflux/heartburn in kids be treated without medication?

In many cases, acid reflux/heartburn in kids can be managed through lifestyle changes such as smaller and more frequent feedings, avoiding trigger foods, and keeping the child upright for at least 30 minutes after meals. However, medication may be necessary in some cases.

3. How can I prevent acid reflux/heartburn in my child?

Some ways to prevent acid reflux/heartburn in kids include avoiding trigger foods, encouraging smaller and more frequent meals, keeping the child upright after meals, and avoiding tight clothing.

4. Is acid reflux/heartburn in kids a serious condition?

While acid reflux/heartburn in kids is common and usually resolves on its own, it can cause discomfort and disrupt feeding and sleeping routines. In rare cases, it can lead to complications such as failure to thrive or aspiration.

5. When should I seek medical advice for my child's acid reflux/heartburn?

You should consult a doctor if your child's symptoms are severe or persistent, if they are having trouble gaining weight, or if they are experiencing difficulty breathing or swallowing. It is also important to seek medical advice if your child is experiencing unusual symptoms, such as blood in their vomit or stool.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jess_K
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
WonderMonkey
  • tabnat80
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lacychef