• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is the Forged Santoku Knife Prone to Breaking?

In summary, customers have had to do adjustments on their forged Santoku knives for the same issue of the tip breaking off. I wonder if there is anything wrong with the case or if the knives are just particularly fragile.
Chef Endora
Gold Member
Has anyone had to do an adjustment for the forged santoku knife?

This is the 2nd time a customer contacted me for replacement of this product for the same issue. The tip broke off!:eek:

I don't know what they are doing with them, or are they just fragile?

I had a customer who had that happen with the forged chefs knife.

The tip on my utility knife broke off...but it was my husbands fault!

The forged knives aren't supposed to be stored on the tips. If someone is storing them in a TTA, then the tips can break off.

The tip to my santoku broke off but I haven't replaced it yet. Not sure how it happened. I store them in their case in a drawer.

I'm waiting for that to happen to my Santoku, and it is stored on it's side in a drawer. The last few times I've used it is has sounded like it was ready to snap...

stacywhitlow said:
The tip to my santoku broke off but I haven't replaced it yet. Not sure how it happened. I store them in their case in a drawer.
Yep, me too. I got the adjustment done, but I still need to send the broken one back in. They'll replace it no problem. Matter of fact, they'll send you the replacement first.:)

I don't think anyone was storing them in anyway other than in their cases.
I wonder if they are looking into why so many have had the same problem.
This sounds like too many to me.

wow, my utility knife came and it wouldn't slide out of the case easily

I have had to have an adjustment on BOTH my santoku and my chef's knives because the tips broke off of them. I store them in my drawer also. :cry: I also had a customer who called me because when his chef's knife arrived it was broke off sealed in the package! How weird is that?

I actually think there is something wrong with the case. Mine came out with a bent tip... DH pointed it out the day I got it. It has since gotten worse, I need to do an adjustment on mine. Mine gets caught up on the case, I kinda feel like it has something to do with that- since it arrived to me that way.

I have had a customer complain hers broke when she slammed the dishwasher shut and it was caught in the middle. I explained how this was in no way PC's fault as they are not dishwasher safe.
I have however had to do adjustments b/c of rusting. I guess some people let them sit in their stainless steel sinks and they got rust spots on them.
I haven't had any problems so far with my knives. Other than cutting myself, but now I am going to go look at them all better. I really would hate for something to break during a show!!

Related to Is the Forged Santoku Knife Prone to Breaking?

1. What is the difference between a forged Santoku and a regular Santoku knife?

A forged Santoku knife is made from a single piece of steel that is shaped and heated to create a strong, durable blade. Regular Santoku knives are often made from multiple pieces of steel that are welded together, making them less sturdy.

2. How do I properly care for my forged Santoku knife?

To keep your forged Santoku knife in top condition, hand wash it with warm soapy water and dry it immediately. Avoid using harsh chemicals or dishwashers, as they can damage the blade. Store the knife in a designated knife block or sheath to prevent it from getting dull or damaged.

3. Can I sharpen my forged Santoku knife at home?

Yes, you can sharpen your forged Santoku knife at home. However, it is recommended to have it professionally sharpened at least once a year to maintain its sharpness and longevity. Using a honing steel regularly can also help keep the blade sharp.

4. Is a forged Santoku knife suitable for all types of cutting?

A forged Santoku knife is best for slicing, dicing, and mincing, as it has a straight cutting edge and a curved blade that allows for a rocking motion. It may not be the best choice for tasks that require a lot of precision, such as peeling or boning.

5. What is the warranty for a forged Santoku knife?

At Pampered Chef, our forged Santoku knives come with a lifetime warranty. If your knife breaks or becomes damaged due to defects in material or workmanship, we will replace it for free. However, our warranty does not cover normal wear and tear or misuse of the knife.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Christ Follower
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
susanr613
  • gailz2
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • pamperedbecky