• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Isolated Incident: Dealing with Rust Marks on Santoku Knives

They are made of 'pot steel' and can't hold an edge. Plus they tend to chip more because pot steal is more brittle. Ask any chef. They'll tell you that they would never put their personal knives into a dishwasher. They wash them with a mild soap and sponge, rinse and then dry them immediately. Learned something new. Thanks, Rachel!
SusanBP0129
:eek:
My santoku knife has rust marks!! Anyone else have this happen??
I have had Henckel Knives for over 10 years and never had this problem. (Fully Forged German Steel)
Hmmm....
My other two PC knives are fine, so I'm hoping this is an isolated incident.

Did it accidently go through the dishwasher? Mine got what looks like rust (it isn't) after DH put it in the dishwasher. Soft scrub and a good rinsing took it right off...

Mine hasn't been through the dishwasher and has rust too! I will try the soft scrub. Thanks for the tip!

I use Bar Keepers Friend on mine.

You have to wash and DRY IMMEDIATELY. We have really bad water here and I get spots on everything if I don't dry it right away.

You can't let it soak in water... just like SO many of our other products (garlic press, ice cream dipper, etc)

Nope!
gilliandanielle said:
Did it accidently go through the dishwasher? Mine got what looks like rust (it isn't) after DH put it in the dishwasher. Soft scrub and a good rinsing took it right off...

Nope - not in the dishwasher.... but I will try the Soft Scrub! Thanks!

jenniferknapp said:
You can't let it soak in water... just like SO many of our other products (garlic press, ice cream dipper, etc)

It drives me crazy, because I have treated this the SAME way I treat my other forged knives. UGH! Oh well....
Off to try Soft Scrub (thanks Gillian) and/or Bar Keeper's Friend (Thanks Debbie!) and will be sure to dry it immediately from now on. Grrrrr.:mad:

jenniferknapp said:

Ummmm, oops!! You mean the garlic press isn't supposed to go in the dishwasher? That is where mine always goes :eek:

jenniferlynne said:
Ummmm, oops!! You mean the garlic press isn't supposed to go in the dishwasher? That is where mine always goes :eek:
Oops! I lied about that...it is safe for the dishwasher....my nose is growing now:p

I love our products, I truly do, but what gets to me is the "spots on the knives" issues. I have had a set of Real German Forged Cutlery for years and I have run them through the DW (an industrial DW at that) and have had ABSLOUTELY no spots, rust, stains at all. Ours (PC) gets a little wet and voila..rust streaks or spots. Altough we have high grade products, this to me says that the metal used in creating their knives is not of the best quality. You should be able to put any forged cutlery in a dishwasher, run it and no spots should turn up. I am having a hard time selling our cutlery the more I learn about these spts that they get...

Actually, Darby, it is the exact opposite. Really high quality knife steel has a high carbon content, which makes it both flexible and durable so it keeps its edge longer and can be sharpened to a very fine edge. Lower quality steal has less carbon, which is great for the dishwasher, but means the knife can't hold it's edge as long or be sharpened as finely. In the old days, knives were made of regular carbon steal because it performs much better, but they rusted like crazy, so this is a compromise. At high quality kitchen stores, they will steer you away from knives that can go in the dishwasher because they are made of 'pot steel' and can't hold an edge. Plus they tend to chip more because pot steal is more brittle.

Ask any chef. They'll tell you that they would never put their personal knives into a dishwasher. They wash them with a mild soap and sponge, rinse and then dry them immediately.

Learned something new. Thanks, Rachel!

jenniferknapp said:
Oops! I lied about that...it is safe for the dishwasher....my nose is growing now:p

WHEW - I've put my old garlic press through the dishwasher for 11 years! :eek:

Glad to hear I didn't do anything to it...well, after that long I should have noticed if it couldn't...

RachelNguyen said:
Actually, Darby, it is the exact opposite. Really high quality knife steel has a high carbon content, which makes it both flexible and durable so it keeps its edge longer and can be sharpened to a very fine edge. Lower quality steal has less carbon, which is great for the dishwasher, but means the knife can't hold it's edge as long or be sharpened as finely. In the old days, knives were made of regular carbon steal because it performs much better, but they rusted like crazy, so this is a compromise. At high quality kitchen stores, they will steer you away from knives that can go in the dishwasher because they are made of 'pot steel' and can't hold an edge. Plus they tend to chip more because pot steal is more brittle.

Ask any chef. They'll tell you that they would never put their personal knives into a dishwasher. They wash them with a mild soap and sponge, rinse and then dry them immediately.

Great info Rachel!
In my area though - I have found that most people don't care if their knives are professional - I hear all the time that they don't want knives if they can't go in the dishwasher....:rolleyes:

I was gonna say...have soaked my garlic press without problems. But thanks Gill for the soft scrub tip! I just noticed on my knives last night rust around the bottom as I did soak them. Not anymore I guess!

If you don't have soft scrub, slicing raw onions will remove rust stains too.

Wow, Rachel, you know a lot about steel!

Has anyone else noticed that the Use and Care of the forged knives discourages using the dishwasher?

KimoMakano said:
Has anyone else noticed that the Use and Care of the forged knives discourages using the dishwasher?
Really good knives shouldn't go into the dishwasher. DW detergent is very abrasive and can ruin things (that's what puts those little teeny scratches on glasses). The high heat and water pressure aren't exactly gentle, either.

I haven't had trouble with my knives but my salad chopper is rusting!!!:mad:

I say call HO...it sounds like more than one of us is experiencing rust marks on the cutlery...I think they should know, and they may have new tips to share.

My recruiter used to answer the question "can you put them in the dishwasher?" with "you never want to put knives you care about in the dishwasher", which I thought was a great response.

i noticed some small corrosion spots on my 5" fc utility knife i've only had 3 months. I called HO today and they are sending me a replacement.

I did apply baking soda and water as the HO person asked me to do before we proceeded w/ the call, but i told her i still wasn't pleased, and she is sending me a new one..i just have to pay to send back the other.

I got a great tip from either Martha or Rachel - can't remember which lol

Rub aluminum foil over the rust spot. I tried it and it did work! Just be careful to keep it flat, and not ball it up, as the ball can scratch.

carissaz said:
I got a great tip from either Martha or Rachel - can't remember which lol

Rub aluminum foil over the rust spot. I tried it and it did work! Just be careful to keep it flat, and not ball it up, as the ball can scratch.
Tried the foil. It took the rust spot off, but also scratched the shiny finish off. Used an onion and that didn't do anything. Used soft scrub. Should have done that first and onlly. Still have black marks, and I can't tell if they are bumps or divets. May send them back. I used my Chef's knife for the Brie last night and didn't clean it until this morning. Used my Santoku on white chocolate but stored it with the dirty Chef's. It isn't as bad as the Chef's. Bummer. I just got these in August.

Related to Isolated Incident: Dealing with Rust Marks on Santoku Knives

1. How do I prevent rust marks on my Santoku knife?

To prevent rust marks on your Santoku knife, it is important to properly dry the knife after use and store it in a dry area. Avoid leaving the knife in water or damp environments for extended periods of time. Additionally, regularly oiling the blade can help prevent rust from forming.

2. Can I use a metal cleaner or abrasive to remove rust marks on my Santoku knife?

No, using a metal cleaner or abrasive can damage the blade of your Santoku knife. It is not recommended to use these methods to remove rust marks.

3. How can I remove rust marks from my Santoku knife?

You can remove rust marks from your Santoku knife by using a non-abrasive rust remover specifically designed for kitchen knives. Follow the instructions on the product carefully and be sure to thoroughly dry and oil the knife afterwards.

4. Are rust marks on my Santoku knife dangerous for food preparation?

In most cases, rust marks on your Santoku knife are not dangerous for food preparation as long as they are removed promptly and the knife is properly cleaned afterwards. However, if the rust is extensive and has caused pitting on the blade, it is best to replace the knife.

5. Can I still use my Santoku knife if it has rust marks?

It is not recommended to use a Santoku knife with rust marks as the rust can affect the sharpness and integrity of the blade. If the rust marks are minor, they can be removed and the knife can still be used. However, if the rust is extensive, it is best to replace the knife.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kdangel518
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ShelbyMichalek
  • erin.tpc
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kspry
  • salthechef