• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cursed with a Busy and Accident-Prone Family: My Hosting Experiences

No not really. But I have cut myself at shows before and it wouldn't stop bleeding so I couldn't hide it. It didn't affect the sales thankfully. At least they are buying stuff-right?
cmdtrgd
Gold Member
I have had three shows for the same extended family since August and have at least another on the books. I'm happy about it and not complaining one bit! However, I kind of feel like I am cursed with this family.

Let me splain...I didn't do very good host coaching with the first show and that has been repeated with the others. Now, I can see that some of it is not me (they are a REALLY busy family!), but it is like I forget to host coach until the week of the show.

Then there's the knives. The August show didn't have the new Forged Cutlery, so it wasn't a problem. The October show did, and I cut myself with the paring knife. The ONLY time I ever cut myself at a show! AND it was before the show even started!!! And I rarely cut myself at home. So, chalk that one up to experience. Oh, and the host and past host didn't want the special - forged cutlery.

Then I did a couples show for them on this past Friday and it was a blast! Right at the end of the show I cut myself with the Santoku on almost the exact same spot! Luckily I was able to grab a wad of paper napkins and hold pressure on it - and no one noticed. It was also lucky that we were at the end of the demo! And then the October host (who didn't want the cutlery) bought two knives and the honing tool! I guess her hubby liked them. He wasn't there for the first show!

So, anyone else have something similar to this?

No not really. But I have cut myself at shows before and it wouldn't stop bleeding so I couldn't hide it. It didn't affect the sales thankfully. At least they are buying stuff-right? Did you get more booking or are you done with that family for now?

I'm cursed, too, but in a different way. Whenever I host my annual PartyLite show with my friend, something bad happens in my circle of family and friends the week before. One year my aunt had what she thought was a heart attack (ended up that it wasn't but landed in the hospital for an overnight sta), one my step-dad was involved in a serious car accident, one a cousin was involved in another accident, one my aunt's mom died, and one my friend miscarried.

Everyone dreads getting my PL invitation in the mail!!

Diane

cmdtrgd said:
I have had three shows for the same extended family since August and have at least another on the books. I'm happy about it and not complaining one bit! However, I kind of feel like I am cursed with this family.

Let me splain...I didn't do very good host coaching with the first show and that has been repeated with the others. Now, I can see that some of it is not me (they are a REALLY busy family!), but it is like I forget to host coach until the week of the show.

Then there's the knives. The August show didn't have the new Forged Cutlery, so it wasn't a problem. The October show did, and I cut myself with the paring knife. The ONLY time I ever cut myself at a show! AND it was before the show even started!!! And I rarely cut myself at home. So, chalk that one up to experience. Oh, and the host and past host didn't want the special - forged cutlery.

Then I did a couples show for them on this past Friday and it was a blast! Right at the end of the show I cut myself with the Santoku on almost the exact same spot! Luckily I was able to grab a wad of paper napkins and hold pressure on it - and no one noticed. It was also lucky that we were at the end of the demo! And then the October host (who didn't want the cutlery) bought two knives and the honing tool! I guess her hubby liked them. He wasn't there for the first show!

So, anyone else have something similar to this?

I had a sorta similar with one show. I met her at a fair - she is a RE agent so I thought --GREAT!!!--

She told me of her plans to invite all her RE friends and her clients and hre coworkers and her family and her neighbors and her kids' friends' parents etc... Woo hoo, right!??!

Well, I struggle to get a guest list from her - then she reschedules a week before the show...finally spits out a guest list of like 12 people....always too busy to take my calls so no host coaching was possible.

Get to her house - no guests. She is mortified and assures me her neighbors are coming and s few friends. Her DH goes up & down teh street knocking on doors to round some people up. Then he corners me in the kitchen and asks how much $ $in sales would the show have to be to guarantee she could get the cookware at 50% off. I tell him $300. He hands me 3 $100-bills and says "Order me anything cool under one of the neighbors' names and make sure it adds up to $300. Make sure I don't get any change. And don't tell my wife." Ultimaltely about 6 people showed up and the show was about $600 including the DH's order. Show ends and I am sitting with hostess who is confiding in me how much she despises her DH and how he throws $ away etc. He overhears and throws a fit and says "I just spent $300 on YOU you ungrateful B****" she is moritfied, he is clearly drunk. She orders the cookware 1/2 price and then says "I want to do this. I want my own PC business" We talk a bit and she wants to have her own PC biz to compliment her RE biz and vice versa. She sneaks off to the bedroom to get DH's credit card and charges the kit on his card. As I am cleaning up I gash my finger on the USG...wrap it up throbbing & head home. She comes to ONE cluster meeting about 2 weeks later all decked out in high heels and fancy business suit and I am thinking "She's gonna work!" But she never replies to my phone calls or emails. Soon her house phone is disconnected and I finally catch her on her cell phone...she can't do PC, she is so sorry but her DH is in rehab and she is filing for divorce. Oy Vey.

Oh my gosh, Carolyn. Now that's a story!!!

Have you ever heard from her again?

Diane

When I started selling Pc I used to cut my fingers all the time using the little $1.00 knife. I guess I had a hard time learning to cut and talk at the same time.
Another show I was using the Ultimate Slice "N Grate and sliced my thumb. Stupid me I wasn't using the guard and hacked my thumb. Well I had to sit down because I was seeing spots and thought I was going to pass out. Luckly, this show was with a bunch of nurses. The one told me that I probably needed stiches but she didn't think they would give them to me because of where the cut was. So why I am sitting there trying to get the bleeding to stop this other lady jumps up and says to everyone who wants to see what while she is out?? No, I didn't recruit her. I tried but she wasnt interested.

OMG Carolyn....too funny (I'm sure it wasn't at the time though!)

Carolyn,
Holy cow!! Now that's a new one! That's pretty scary. I guess you'll have a hard time topping that one (let's hope!).:eek:

I haven't cut myself yet, but I was shadowing my Hospitality Director when she cut herself on the New Mandoline - No she wasn't using the food guard. She went into the bathroom for a about 10 minutes and asked me to take over ---yikes:confused: ---I've done shows before but felt a little uncomfortable, so I tried to sell without being too pleasant (felt like I was treading on her territory)

Anyhow, end result was she booked 4 shows from that show!!!

I'm thinking of cutting myself sometime and see how I do!:p

dianevill said:
Oh my gosh, Carolyn. Now that's a story!!!

Have you ever heard from her again?

Diane

Not since the "My husband is in rehab" phone call. Her email address no longer works now either.

How was she using it without the guard?!?

AMTC said:
I haven't cut myself yet, but I was shadowing my Hospitality Director when she cut herself on the New Mandoline - No she wasn't using the food guard.

I'm curious how she did this. My mandoline won't work without the guard. I tell people they came out with this one because they didn't listen to me about ALWAYS using the guard on the slice & grate.

I guess I'm not the only one!

raebates said:
I'm curious how she did this. My mandoline won't work without the guard. I tell people they came out with this one because they didn't listen to me about ALWAYS using the guard on the slice & grate.

let me rephrase that - she was using Part of the food guard- the bottom part that makes the blade release. I can't remember what she was cutting, an onion maybe? And she had her hand on the onion (lets say) and was pushing it down - it made the mechanism release...but she wasn't using the top part.

Okay. That makes more sense. At least, it makes more sense as an explanation. From a demonstration standpoint it's a bit dangerous. Guess she found that out.

Hey, BTW, if you have an old Slice & Grate and you want to use it without the guard (I can hear you gasping, now), I have a suggestion. Go to a sporting goods store. In the fishing section you'll find fileting gloves. They're cut resistant. I use that when I want to slice green peppers or use it to cut corn off the cob. Works beautifully.

Related to Cursed with a Busy and Accident-Prone Family: My Hosting Experiences

1. How can I break free from feeling cursed?

Breaking free from feeling cursed involves changing your mindset and taking proactive steps towards improving your life. This can include seeking therapy, practicing self-care, and surrounding yourself with positive people and activities.

2. Is feeling cursed a real thing or just a state of mind?

Feeling cursed is a state of mind that can be influenced by external factors such as difficult life experiences or negative thoughts. It is important to address the root causes of these feelings and work towards overcoming them.

3. Can a curse be passed down through generations?

While some cultures believe in generational curses, there is no scientific evidence to support this belief. It is important to focus on breaking free from negative patterns and creating a positive future for yourself.

4. How do I know if I am truly cursed?

It is important to remember that feeling cursed is a subjective experience and can be influenced by various factors. If you are struggling with negative thoughts and feelings, it may be helpful to seek support from a therapist or trusted friend.

5. Can Pampered Chef products help me break free from feeling cursed?

While Pampered Chef products can enhance your kitchen and cooking experience, they cannot directly impact your feelings of being cursed. It is important to seek support from a mental health professional and take proactive steps towards improving your well-being.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • pkd09
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • blarrabee