• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Will I Lose Sales if I Say This?

In summary, the conversation was about the effectiveness of promoting the Ultimate Mandoline and the Forged Cutlery knives at a cooking show. Some participants expressed concern that emphasizing the safety and ease of using the mandoline may deter sales of the knives. Others recommended promoting both products and emphasizing the unique features of each. Overall, it was suggested to highlight the benefits of the Forged Cutlery knives and also mention the availability of different types of knives to cater to different preferences and budgets.
emiscookin
Ok, at my cooking show the other night I was demonstrating the Ultimate Mandoline.

On top of all the other things I was saying about it, I added, "This is the perfect tool for you if you are not much of a knife person...like myself! I always worry I will cut my finger off, but with the UM I never have to worry about that."

I was being honest and of course I was also trying to sell the UM. BUT...I got to thinking about it and, our Forged Cutlery knives really are AWESOME! They are so super sharp and I love 'em! Encouraging guests to purchase those knives not only boosts your sales but will make cutting for them easier! I wondered if me saying that (or saying it in the future) turned people off from getting the Forged Cutlery. :confused:

(Well, I guess not so much because someone did order the 5" Utility and another ordered the CC Santoku knife. I sold 1 Mandoline. But anyway...)

What do ya'll think?
Perhaps it is a moment again where I am worrying too much. ;)

Well, maybe if you say that, but then add "however, our Forged Cutlery knives are awesome . . . " then add your short spiel about the FC.

It's actually an accurate statement. If you're proficient with a knife, you probably won't feel a need for the UM. On the other hand, if the idea of hand-slicing a bunch of potatoes to exactly the same thickness for a large pan of scalloped potatoes makes you cringe, the UM is just the tool for you.

Also for parents with kids that like to help in the kitchen, the UM is a great way to let them help with the cutting without a trip to the Hospital.

I agree with what has been said. If you are looking for a good set of knives the FC is amazing, but many guests aren't. I have done 9 shows so far and haven't sold a piece of FC. Haven't sold a UM either, but what I have sold is a few of the Green Coated Knives. I sold one at one of my first few shows, and then the guest hosted a show. She went on and on and on about how amazing it was..... guess what I sold that night.

Oh, I just remembered that my mom did buy 2 of the FC knives and she loves them. I also got her the UM for mother's day, but I am not really sure if MOM purchases count for this example. My mom will buy anything from me.

I like how Rae said it. :)Really, I think it's fine to say that people who have knife phobias will love the UM because it's nice and safe for when you are doing a lot of slicing. (But you still have to use a knife to get things to fit the food holder, or cut off the bottom of something to give it the flat base...so you do still have to use some type of knife. ;) )The Forged Cutlery is the best and I LOVE it, so I always am demoing it. It's my go-to type thing. As I use the Forged cutlery, I then will say that we have 3 different kinds of knives because people are different and have different preferences (and budgets). If you love the FC, you'll want to host a show so you can get an awesome deal. But it's a Lifetime product and they will be so happy to have invested in a fantastic product. Just buy the Santoku or utility knife to try them out and you will not be sorry. I point out how people with arthritis love our green coated knives because they are so lightweight. I say how the ones w/ honing cases are great for drawer storage because they have locking cases, and they are good for campers/trailers or when you need to take a knife to a picnic or somewhere.

lesliec said:
I agree with what has been said. If you are looking for a good set of knives the FC is amazing, but many guests aren't. I have done 9 shows so far and haven't sold a piece of FC. Haven't sold a UM either, but what I have sold is a few of the Green Coated Knives. I sold one at one of my first few shows, and then the guest hosted a show. She went on and on and on about how amazing it was..... guess what I sold that night.

Oh, I just remembered that my mom did buy 2 of the FC knives and she loves them. I also got her the UM for mother's day, but I am not really sure if MOM purchases count for this example. My mom will buy anything from me.

Yes, mom purchases count!

I think it's good to talk about the fact that everyone wants/needs different things so we have a wide variety of tools. Some people love stones, others hate them (or are afraid of them) so now we have sheet pans - I honestly say that I don't use them because I LOVE using stones "but for those of you who prefer a metal pan...". Point out that we have 3 sets of knives for those who have different needs. I have had people buy 2 or 3 knives at a show, one green and or one in the honing case AND one forged. It's sometimes the type (shape) of knife they're looking for. Or maybe one is for the lake house and one for home or...???

Your comments on the UM are right on. It's perfect to get even slices for certain recipes and for those who are not good with knives.

I would just tell them that the mandoline is REALLY versitile. You can slice a variety of things in a lot of ways ... and you can grate with it too.

There are certain things that have to be sliced with knives, like meat and stuff like that.

I personally only use the mandoline for potatoes. Sometimes to grate cheese. I really prefer knives, however. Every time I try to slice something like a lemon or a tomato I ALWAYS use a knife! It mangles soft stuff.

Di_Can_Cook said:
I would just tell them that the mandoline is REALLY versitile. You can slice a variety of things in a lot of ways ... and you can grate with it too.

There are certain things that have to be sliced with knives, like meat and stuff like that.

I personally only use the mandoline for potatoes. Sometimes to grate cheese. I really prefer knives, however. Every time I try to slice something like a lemon or a tomato I ALWAYS use a knife! It mangles soft stuff.

Which blade are you using? I use the v-shaped and it's great for tomatoes.

I have found that if you are careful to not push or press on the food holder it works better. I tell guests it's a food "holder" not a food "presser". hth

The V cut. I use it for everything. I find it to be the only one that works right.

If I don't press down with the food holder, I find it doesn't reach the blade at all.

rosecrystalcat said:
Also for parents with kids that like to help in the kitchen, the UM is a great way to let them help with the cutting without a trip to the Hospital.
Just watch them still....don't assume the safety features are fail safe...mainly- make sure they ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use the Food Holder with the Guide. :angel: BAD things can happen if you use the guide alone! Trust me...Been There- Got the T-Shirt!
(And the night at the ER and no feeling in my middle finger still- a year later!)

Another thing to piont out too is that using dull knives is even more dangerous, and ours are so sharp, keep their sharpness and there's a sharpener available (not one of those honing rods that I really totally inept using) so it actually decreases the chance of injuring youself. If they're STILL scared of using knives, then the UM is a great alternative. But while it can replace a knife in many instances, it can't do everything a knife can. Alot of fruit you can't do on the mandolin (cutting the top off a strawberry, cutting up mango/peaches/nectarines/melons etc) so be sure to get one good quality knife for when you have to use one.

1. Will I lose sales if I offer a discount on my Pampered Chef products?

No, offering discounts can actually attract more customers and increase sales. Many customers are drawn to sales and promotions, so offering a discount can make your products more appealing.

2. Will I lose sales if I mention that my products are not made in the USA?

No, mentioning the origin of your products does not necessarily impact sales. In fact, some customers appreciate transparency and may still be interested in purchasing your products even if they are not made in the USA.

3. Will I lose sales if I share that my products are not organic?

No, not all customers prioritize organic products and may still be interested in purchasing your products even if they are not organic. Some customers may also appreciate that your products are affordable and accessible to a wider range of people.

4. Will I lose sales if I mention that my products are not dishwasher safe?

No, mentioning that your products are not dishwasher safe does not necessarily deter customers. Some customers may prefer hand-washing their kitchenware, while others may not mind. It is important to provide care instructions for your products, but mentioning that they are not dishwasher safe should not significantly impact sales.

5. Will I lose sales if I disclose that my products may contain allergens?

No, it is important to be transparent about the ingredients and potential allergens in your products. This shows that you care about your customers' health and well-being. Many customers with allergies or dietary restrictions will appreciate this information and may still be interested in purchasing your products.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kitchen Diva
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • ayoung73
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
ayoung73
  • esavvymom