• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Today's Economy- Let's Brainstorm How to Increase Sales

In summary, Elaine is saying that she is having trouble with her shows lately and she is trying to figure out what is wrong. She thinks that it might be because she is taking too many high priced items and she is going to try to change that. She is also going to lower her show price and try to focus on selling the idea of getting together and having a night out without breaking the budget.
Chefgirl2
Gold Member
I was reading the thread that someone started about lower show sales recently and it got me thinking...

Over the last few months I have had some shows with great attendance and maybe only half of the guests placing orders. It has been driving me Nuts!! Over the weekend I started analyzing my show.

I have been making the Microwave White Chicken Chili...which is soooo good. So, I don't think that was the problem. Who doesn't want to feed 8 people a meal for $12?

I have been taking too many high priced items. Deep Covered Baker, Large Cutting board, Cutting board w/cups, the Boning knife, Large Santuko, Small Santuko, Tomato Knife and the new Self honing Utility. I justified this by saying they need to see my favorite santuko and they might want the blah, blah, blah.

Tonight I am scaling down and using items of all price ranges.

I am only doing one recipe. I always say I will, but then I end up adding a "quick dessert" which means I am bringing too many products and over stimulating everyone...and making my job look difficult.

I let my hostess in on what's going on. I "blamed" the personal check out and that guests lost me when I am away from them. I asked her to let guests know that I am harmless and will actually help them save money by asking a few questions. I also am adding all the drawing slips to the small stainless bowl and if they draw their name out during check out they will win a SB cookbook.

If no one wins I will draw 2 winners!

My bookings have been incredible lately. I know it is because I am selling the idea of getting together, learn how to entertain on a budget and have a night out without breaking the budget a restaurant.

I am not talking about the November Specials...until I need to fill it. October Rocks!! They will pretty much be one of the first to show off our new products! Our theme shows and entertaining products are fit for everyones budget!

I am going to keep talking about our money saving products at a great retail price. I don't want to de-value or products by repeating get it free or Half priced as much through out the show. I don't want guests thinking "Oh yeah, I don't have any money to buy these products." I want them thinking "Wow! Hubby is going to love it when I make chili, pork loin, ribs, wings and whole chicken and not ruin it!" And "We are going to save so much money!!"

I didn't do it on this show, but I am going to get back into the 5-25-5 order rule that I used to do all the time.

Anyone else have some suggestions for increasing sales?

Oh...I hope this thread doesn't disappear because I really want to read your suggestions

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but I talk about the DCB, and how if they only buy one item, this is it!

But...if they don't....

The mix-n-chop always does well...ground beef is a staple.

Talk about how to grocery shop cheaper by not buying anything you can make at home - such as brownies, cookies, treats, hamburger helper (it's pretty much just a casserole), canned pasta (like spaghetti-os), (I'm sure more people can add to this list).

I know for our family, we grocery shop on about $400-$425 a month to feed a family of 5. That includes things that you don't eat too, like light bulbs, diapers, cat food. I found that by tightening the food budget a bit and making homemade stuff, I'm not only saving money, but also making stuff that's 10 times better than what I could buy.

With that little spiel, you could go into getting one stone...like a round or a bar pan...and how that will help you bake better, more often. I'd also talk about the micro-cookers and the measuring cups/spoons. I think we all know it's more enjoyable to cook when you have the right tools to do so.

Elaine - I love your thinking on this! Your problem has been my problem too - I have had several well-attended shows where only half of the people ordered.

I had one a couple weeks ago with 17-18 people. They were loving the show - I was "in the zone", everyone was laughing and having a great time. They even kept telling me how much fun it was....but I left the show with 8 orders. The host eventually got the show to $500 (barely) through outside orders, but usually, with 18 guests at the show, it would be a $700 show easily.

I like your ideas too.

I'll have to think about what to add - but I don't want this to disappear either!

I've been thinking about this too. I'm glad you started this thread.

Right now I don't have any great ideas to add other than focusing on the budget friendly meals....but then I also don't want them to take the recipe and say "Oh, I can do this in my cookware..."

Chefgirl2 said:
I also am adding all the drawing slips to the small stainless bowl and if they draw their name out during check out they will win a SB cookbook.

Love this idea!

i had asked a question similar to this yesterday. so bump it if you need to because this is an excellent topic.

Chefgirl2 said:
. I also am adding all the drawing slips to the small stainless bowl and if they draw their name out during check out they will win a SB cookbook.

Elaine - are you doing this to get people to come to check out?

ChefBeckyD said:
Elaine - are you doing this to get people to come to check out?

thats a good idea. i wondered why she did it that way. but that does give a little incentive to atleast come check out...

or even if they dont purchase anything, you can have them come up & you can offer them the opportunity, a show, etc.

I am definately doing the "draw your own name and you win" drawing to get them to check out or at the very least come pick a free recipe card. I don't have tons of SB cookbooks so I am adding Citrus peelers, paring knives and any other cheap items on hand.

It is so frustrating thinking WaHoo!! 15 people and leaving w/6-8 orders. I know the economy is part of it, but I am packing so they will see the light and realise "Hmmm...I really can save money by making my own meals." And then buy.

I loved the idea of making gifts with our products. I wish we still had the old double broiler. I loved my candy making shows.

One of my consultants is doing Pamper me with Pizza cooking shows. She had her first and it rocked! Hubby's and kids were encouraged to attend. She gave tips on making your own crust and toppings to fit your personal needs. Stuffed crust, pan , crispy and had then chop, slice and grate...I'll be mentioning that tonight.

WOW!! What a Fabulous thread...nothing to add right now, but I'm leaving here for awhile to Think...;)

Chefgirl2 said:
I am definately doing the "draw your own name and you win" drawing to get them to check out or at the very least come pick a free recipe card. I don't have tons of SB cookbooks so I am adding Citrus peelers, paring knives and any other cheap items on hand.

It is so frustrating thinking WaHoo!! 15 people and leaving w/6-8 orders. I know the economy is part of it, but I am packing so they will see the light and realise "Hmmm...I really can save money by making my own meals." And then buy.

I loved the idea of making gifts with our products. I wish we still had the old double broiler. I loved my candy making shows.

One of my consultants is doing Pamper me with Pizza cooking shows. She had her first and it rocked! Hubby's and kids were encouraged to attend. She gave tips on making your own crust and toppings to fit your personal needs. Stuffed crust, pan , crispy and had then chop, slice and grate...I'll be mentioning that tonight.

But we can still do candy making shows! There are some great recipes in the new Holiday Cookbook - and with the Homemade for the Holidays theme. Last year, I did a couple candy shows. We made the White Choc. Crunch, and Oreo Truffles.....you could do the pretzel butterflies, and the new brownie lollipops....and there is a recipe for turtle candies...and the glazed almonds or glazed cashew recipes we've had recently. Oh, and don't forget the easy fudge recipe or the Oven Caramel Corn made in the Roaster! I'm excited about sharing with people this year all of the ideas for making gifts from their kitchens - and much of it is stuff that kids can help with!

I also agree with the person who wants to change the name from PC show to a PC demonstration. New wording can change some peoples mindset.;) Our businesses need the extra push for sales that we can do without being extreme.

I think the power cooking demonstrations are showing families how we can make a meal for $2 per person.:D Today with the prices of eating out, and gas eating at home is more economical. We need to show families eating at home is fun, easy, and cost saving.:love:

Maybe we need to have guests bring their invitations with the amount per month they would normally spend on eating out.:eek: The money they spend eating out could be used to purchase PC products to save them money in the long run not to mention purchase quality kitchen products.

tlag1986 said:
I also agree with the person who wants to change the name from PC show to a PC demonstration. New wording can change some peoples mindset.;) Our businesses need the extra push for sales that we can do without being extreme.

I think the power cooking demonstrations are showing families how we can make a meal for $2 per person.:D Today with the prices of eating out, and gas eating at home is more economical. We need to show families eating at home is fun, easy, and cost saving.:love:

Maybe we need to have guests bring their invitations with the amount per month they would normally spend on eating out.:eek: The money they spend eating out could be used to purchase PC products to save them money in the long run not to mention purchase quality kitchen products.

I don't call them shows, I call them parties!:D

This is my first post, and I think this is a awesome tread...I think our host and guest need our business in what ever way we can help them...More now then ever before:)

I have been cooking more at home too, and the main reason was, how can I tell my customers how much money they could save by cooking at home if I was not doing it too (we need to save money too).

My family (only 3 of us) went to Applebee's on Sunday and spent almost $50. (after tip) We were talking on the way home and I told my husband we could have eaten at least 3-4 PC meals for that.:eek:

So long story short, there is a huge need for what we have...Our business opportunity...Hosting and purchasing our awesome products...

I will try to brain storm some ideas on increasing our sales (I am having a little problem too):thumbup:

Not a lot to add, but this is on the minds of alot of us...
Couple of things I have focused on are the DCB...saving time and money. People love the 30 min chicken! And, whole chickens are fairly cheap. I always add that even with my family of 4 (that eat like 6) I have enough chicken leftover to make a cassarole or pot pie. Another thing...pizza is still big. How many people, for the sake of time, are ordering pizza every week? Most grocery stores (at least up here) have bags of pizza dough for around $1.29. So, instead of ordering, make it at home. It only takes 20-25 mins, and you can customize and save the $$ and the grease! Not to mention, all the other things you can do with a stone. I try to steer them to the large bar pan because they can cook so much more with it. As for the SB, citrus peelers, etc...I love the idea of trying to get them to the checkout...at least you can offer a show or business info. My suggestion...if you don't have a bunch of items to hand out, add them to the host order. I tell people that "Susie" will give them their prize when the order is delivered. Less out of pocket for me up front, it's commissionable (though small) and counts for points.

Love these ideas! So glad this thread got started! I have the potential of at least 8 Cooking Shows over the next 2 months, so I will definitely be using some of these great ideas!

I will bring higher-priced items if I am using them in a demo ... or if they represent an upcoming special. But I will be sure to talk about ways to save money using them ... point out that they hold their value, the guarantee, and the money-saving recipes they can make with them.

I am sorry ... I will talk about November at my October shows. For one thing ... Jane Host has a show in October or late September ...will her friend want to book 2 weeks later when many of their mutual friends are there? Or would she be happy to book in November when people are thinking about Christmas?

The October special is not for everybody ... not everybody is into entertaining. There is only one thing in the entire Simple Additions line that I even want ...and that is because I'm sick of plopping my 14 inch cakes onto a round stone! My October host is thrilled about the dotts .. the rest of my hosts are September hosts dragging their feet on turning their shows in. That's fine with me ... I want to book November solid b/c it's Sell-a-thon!

I have been selling a lot of micro-cookers so I make a point now to melt chocolate in mine now ...also scrapers, mix-and-chops and other little things that add up!

tlag1986 said:

I love this idea!!

Trina

Not everyone loves every months specials. I also am not a huge fan of the Simple Additions special mixed w/the guest spend $60 get a pumpkin dish special. I wish they offered 20% off SA, but I realise some people are gaga over that dish and they think October Rocks. We are all different. What works for some- might not for others, and what we do with our businesses is up to us. I am too cheap to give my guests a discount, so I am looking for other ways to sell October shows.

So, since I need to make a mortgage payment every month I am trying to make sure I find a way to build the excitement. Oh, and find a way to get over the lack of people buying.
I always have said with or without the bonus our host benefits rock! It is up to me to get current host excited that her friend is having a show in October. If she doesn't want the 60% off SA I ask "Will it make a good gift for someone she knows?" If my current hostess doesn't like the special then she should realise her friend wants it and if she doesn't use the bonus she still will get 10% off her entire order. Most guests cannot buy all they want in one sitting. I know for years I called around trying to find shows twice a month so I could buy some PC and have fun. :) Obviously, I am addicted:)

As a director wanting my team to promote I am tought to teach the aspiring directors that if they want a growing team they need 2 shows a week no matter what.

I know the majority of consultants on my team will only do one or two a month- if that. But, if that is what makes them happy - then that is great! They probably will not promote or earn a trip, but to them just belonging to a great community of awesome consultants and getting a discount on all of their PC products - Rocks!! They are an important part of my team.

Tonight's show did have 2 people book into November. I made sure they each knew the other booked the same month, and that we were going to work on diversifying their crowd. The new hostesses should not have hardly any of the same guest at their shows. National Director Beth Jacobs coaches that every show has FRANK invited Friends, Relatives, Aquantances, Neighbors and Kid affliations. I know a lot of people will say they can't mix the crowd but, I should be able to ask almost anyone in attendance to have a show with out seeing 1/3 of the same people again. Linda Bowles teaches we all know around 200 people that we could ask about the business. 40 to come to a show should be do-able.

Lots of people Love those dishes. I love them...just not the September guest special. Lots of people love our products. We can still say "Be one of the first to show off the new products or new recipes!" A huge amount of people need to be learning how to cook now.
I want to work now. Yes, I did offer November shows tonight, but only after coaching them and learning why they wanted to wait.
I want to help my team get excited about October and Future shows which is why I started this thread. I want Chef Success people to stay positive and kick in some of those great ideas I have seen when we really put our minds to it!

I really feel like this is not going to be just an October problem if we don't change the way we market our shows, and change what we do at our shows.

I have done over 980 shows. Tonight's show Rocked!! .

Rhonda had 13 in attendance.
10 ordered there(one booked for Nov).
Another guest booked a Nov show without ordering-but will tomorrow(11th).
One left without ordering but came back in as I was leaving to say she wanted the DCB (12th).
One guest left without checking out. Yep!! Only one!!
She had 3 outside orders with one wanting a show (I'm thinking Oct).
She had 3 guests that asked major "Red Flag ?'s" during my 3 min ticket game -I gave info to all and made follow up appointments to call tomorrow.
Sales are $727(w/added DCB)
She has 6 more orders to get (I tought her how to get more by flahing catalog everywhere).
She is aiming for a minimum of $1,000!! Can she do it?Yes! She can!

I gave away 3 doorprizes to my Stainless Bowl Personal Checkout drawing winners. After we made the food i handed out catalogs, and I told them they will want everything. "When they were filling out the doorprize slips I shared that at checking out they might win a free gift, but the real value is I'll help narrow down their want list to their "what they need now list."
I also gave away another 3 doorprizes to people that brought a guest and got a gift. Together those guests spent over $130 and one is thinking of selling!! So to me it was worth giving $1.80 of cookbooks away!!

I feel like the best things I did tonight was Make Only One Recipe, mix my product values and not only use the pricier items, really take only what I needed(plus maybe 5 extra items that fit in the tool turn around) and packed only both saute pans for the quick cookware demo. It was liberating!!

So, how can we get every consultant to get themselves and excited about October? At Becky Ishee's Director meeting on Friday we learned- If consultants have a strong October it will lead to a stronger November, December and even a strong January. Booking October strong will help prevent the cancellations that come from people that book too far out. She also really focused on teaching our teams to book October first because everyone will want November when they learn about it.
There are many time when I forget and book months out...so please nobody be offended. I am really trying for all of us to get a big fat paycheck on both the midmonth and end month commissions.

I loved:
the idea of bringing your monthly grocery total on the invitation to the show. Just think of the questions we could ask...

the power cooking demonstrations/show/interactive show. I can't wait to try the new recipes with chicken!

the $50 Applebee's comparison. We all can make great meals with any of our products. If we don't own it then say "I can't wait to get the..."

all the ways to save money! So adding household and shopping tips really adds value to us as their consultant

that I shouldnt take my candy show away...we do have the coating trays.

Yikes!! It is late!! Please don't let this disappear. I really want to read your ideas.

I have been thinking this over lately, too and have decided that it comes down to value~our products are high quality with great warrantys...you are going to get more bang for your buck when you purchase the DCB or the Ultimate Mandoline. I have been making my focus on these higher priced items, but in a way that makes everyone understand that they will be using these products for years to come.
At my show last night, one person was a former consultant~she attested to the fact that she was still using her 1st stone purchased 8 years ago!

I love the idea of bringing the invitation with the amount spent eating out! I think that is one to implement and if nothing else, it will help us remeber to talk about eating out vs. eating in!

A friend of mine had a $6K fundraiser last month. It was for a sports team to help off-set out of pocket costs...the parents were all over it! That helped to remind me how much a good fundraiser can generate sales. With the current economy, I'm thinking a PC fundraiser would have a lot more appeal than the $5 candy bar or $10 wrapping paper. I always add 5% to bring the donation amount to 20%, but I always get the leads that justify the personal donation. (I don't want to turn this into a fundraiser thread...there are already some great ones to read thru by doing a search.)

This is a great idea Elaine, thanks for starting it. It has me rethinking some of my wording at shows. What's nice is we belong to a company that is all about value...and has been from the very beginning (bless you, Doris!). I have some ideas running thru my head; let me organize my thoughts and I'll throw them out there for feedback!

legacypc46 said:
A friend of mine had a $6K fundraiser last month. It was for a sports team to help off-set out of pocket costs...the parents were all over it! That helped to remind me how much a good fundraiser can generate sales. With the current economy, I'm thinking a PC fundraiser would have a lot more appeal than the $5 candy bar or $10 wrapping paper. I always add 5% to bring the donation amount to 20%, but I always get the leads that justify the personal donation. (I don't want to turn this into a fundraiser thread...there are already some great ones to read thru by doing a search.)

This is a great idea Elaine, thanks for starting it. It has me rethinking some of my wording at shows. What's nice is we belong to a company that is all about value...and has been from the very beginning (bless you, Doris!). I have some ideas running thru my head; let me organize my thoughts and I'll throw them out there for feedback!

YAHOOOO! Can't wait to hear your thoughts...since I always try to copy what you do!:D

One more thing. So far, I haven't had problems with people checking out, but it sounds like some of you have. Last night, I did something fun at my check out.

I told everyone during the demo that if they could guess my #1 seller, I would put it on their order for free. Everyone had fun guessing (only 1 guess, and at checkout), and only one person got it.

(My number 1, until last night's show, was the Quikkut Paring Knives.)

Now, my #1 is the mini-spatula...which will be great to guess for tomorrow's show.

Jessamary said:
One more thing. So far, I haven't had problems with people checking out, but it sounds like some of you have. Last night, I did something fun at my check out.

I told everyone during the demo that if they could guess my #1 seller, I would put it on their order for free. Everyone had fun guessing (only 1 guess, and at checkout), and only one person got it.

(My number 1, until last night's show, was the Quikkut Paring Knives.)

Now, my #1 is the mini-spatula...which will be great to guess for tomorrow's show.

That's a great idea!

Jessamary said:

What a cool and creative idea! I'm totally going to start using that one! I think right now mine is SB!

pcheflori07 said:
This is my first post, and I think this is a awesome tread...I think our host and guest need our business in what ever way we can help them...More now then ever before:)

My family (only 3 of us) went to Applebee's on Sunday and spent almost $50. (after tip) We were talking on the way home and I told my husband we could have eaten at least 3-4 PC meals for that.:eek:

tlag1986 said:

first of all - welcome lori!! :D
2nd - i think ill start mentioning this. a family of 3 spends $50. i remember when i was growing up my family quit going out to eat as often because once my brother & i started eating from the adult menu, it was just too expensive!
im going to segway that into "write down how much you think you spend in an average month on eating out. now im going to show you meals that are quick, easy & fun, for under $2/serving." :thumbup::thumbup:

ChefKrisB said:
Not a lot to add, but this is on the minds of alot of us...
Couple of things I have focused on are the DCB...saving time and money. People love the 30 min chicken! And, whole chickens are fairly cheap.
chickens were $3 at top foods & 2 for $5 at costco. my bf is in LOVE with the dcb now. :D

Di_Can_Cook said:
I will talk about November at my October shows. For one thing ... Jane Host has a show in October or late September ...will her friend want to book 2 weeks later when many of their mutual friends are there? Or would she be happy to book in November when people are thinking about Christmas?

The October special is not for everybody ... not everybody is into entertaining. There is only one thing in the entire Simple Additions line that I even want ...and that is because I'm sick of plopping my 14 inch cakes onto a round stone! My October host is thrilled about the dotts .. the rest of my hosts are September hosts dragging their feet on turning their shows in. That's fine with me ... I want to book November solid b/c it's Sell-a-thon!

im with you on this one. i personally dont even love the SA line. i have the large serving bowl but i only have that because i got it for "its in the bag" (aka - i got it free) & its nice to have atleast one piece from every line for people to see. but if i were a host, i would rather have a show in a month that i am going to actually use host special. plus its motivation to get the higher sales!

Jessamary said:

love this! ill have to see what my #1 is.
hopefully no one out there has the DCB as the #1 & a bunch of people guess it right!! :D

just bumping.

i think we are all still waiting on legacy's thoughts. :D

i am going to try a few things at my show tonight: demoing the bread bowl - but a lightning quick dcb & chicken demo first. & im going to offer my top seller free if they can guess it at checkout (happens to be my SBCB). we'll see how my results are tomorrow with 6 confirmed guests.

Since Becky called me out ;), I figured I better get over here and post. (I haven't been on much this week...I moved this past weekend, had an expo yesterday, and am now in full struggle-mode to rebuild my business here :cry:.)

I love it when people ask me if the economy is hurting my business. I know they expect me to say yes, but I love telling them 'absolutely not.' I tell them my sales are actually going up, and I think it is for two major reasons:

1) When people have less money to spend, they are more particular about how they spend it. In tough times, people pay more attention to the value of what they are buying. They simply are less willing to settle for junk and they know our products are both high quality and backed by real customer service.

2) People are eating out less and cooking more at home. Because they are spending more time in the kitchen, they're paying more attention to the quality of the tools they are using. Having been a PC junkie before becoming a consultant, I know first-hand what a positive difference having well designed kitchen tools can make. (I want them to know I personally believe in the products.)

I almost always say the following as well: 'You can't walk into W-S or Target and open up the boxes and test drive the toys. With us you can. Together, we knock out a quick 15 minute recipe so you and your guests can evaluate the products yourselves. Then, everyone shops, eats, and socializes.'

I often add that we have become part of Warren Buffet's Berkshire-Hathaway corporation...and how, to me, that reflects how financially and ethically sound this company is.

Positive thought is critical....and it is contagious. Everyone likes the idea of having an enjoyable time with their friends. We offer that, plus the opportunity to purchase our products.

As for specific excitement builders: the 30min Chicken Show (or anything with the DCB), Easy and Economical Holiday Entertaining, anything Chocolate, Power Cooking (can't wait to try the new chicken recipes) and any theme you come up with that features the recipe YOU want to make. ;)

Hope this helps. I'm not minimizing the financial hardship many of our customers (and us) are feeling. But I am trying to focus on how we are a partial solution to these challenges. :)

Last edited:
I truly believe we can make a difference in peoples budgets if they give us a chance. We may have some difficulty with some who don't want to cook or clean up, but the majority of people realize that cooking at home is cheaper and more economical in the long run. I feel it is our position to show our consumers how to do this and our DCB is the easiest way.

1. How can I increase sales during a slow economy?

One strategy to increase sales during a slow economy is to focus on your target market and their needs. Offer promotions or discounts that cater to their current financial situation. Additionally, consider expanding your product line to include more affordable or practical options for customers.

2. What are some effective ways to market our products during tough economic times?

During tough economic times, it is important to be creative with your marketing strategies. Utilize social media platforms and email marketing to reach a wider audience. Collaborate with other businesses or host virtual events to showcase your products. Offering referral incentives can also be an effective way to attract new customers.

3. How can I maintain customer loyalty during an economic downturn?

To maintain customer loyalty during an economic downturn, it is crucial to provide exceptional customer service. Respond promptly to any inquiries or concerns and go the extra mile to make sure your customers are satisfied. Offer loyalty programs or special perks for returning customers to show your appreciation for their support.

4. Are there any trends in the market that we should be aware of to increase sales?

Yes, keeping up with market trends can give you a competitive edge and help increase sales. For example, many consumers are currently prioritizing health and wellness, so promoting your products as healthy or convenient options may attract more customers. Additionally, being environmentally friendly or socially responsible can also appeal to certain demographics.

5. How can I effectively manage my expenses without sacrificing product quality?

One way to manage expenses without sacrificing product quality is to negotiate with suppliers for better pricing or find alternative options that offer the same quality at a lower cost. Additionally, regularly reviewing and adjusting your budget can help identify areas where you can cut back without compromising on product quality. Another option is to consider outsourcing certain tasks or automating processes to reduce labor costs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pkd09
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
pkd09
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • pkd09