• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Increasing Sales Tax & "Tax-Free" Weekends

I can't remember the name of the show, but it was a talk show that talked about the economy and they did a segment on the school budget and how it doesn't look good. The host said that there was a possibility that the budget might be cut and that they were looking for creative ways to lessen the blow, such as a tax increase. I think this may have been the impetus for starting the Tax-free weekend idea.Many states have back-to-school incentives for "Tax Free weekends".The state of North Carolina's is this August 7-9th this year.But I also heard on the news last night, that our new budget is likely to be signed, and it
esavvymom
Staff member
Many states have back-to-school incentives for "Tax Free weekends".
The state of North Carolina's is this August 7-9th this year.

But I also heard on the news last night, that our new budget is likely to be signed, and it will include a 1% sales tax increase- from 6.75% to 7.75%!!! :eek:

So, in light of another thread's suggestion/idea to have our own Tax-Free incentive, going to give it a try! Thought I'd start a general thread for those who missed the first one- and may not have thought about what their own state is doing this year with the recession and all.

I'm thinking of offering a "Tax-free" sale this Saturday and Sunday for orders called or emailed to me...I may extend it to next WEEK to get more orders.

And then when Sales Tax is about to go up- I'll probably do it again if it was a success the first time.

For every $100 spent, that's $6.75 saved...I can handle that when I'm still making $13.

Not sure if I'll do direct shipping or show-shipping....

DOn't worry about your tax going to 7.75- here in CA we have I think the highest in the nation. Ranging from the 8s to 10%!!! :) Think positive

Good thinking... this weekend is our state's tax free weekend. Wonder if I should try sending out a special...

jbdowd0798 said:
DOn't worry about your tax going to 7.75- here in CA we have I think the highest in the nation. Ranging from the 8s to 10%!!! :) Think positive
Oh..I know...but that's quite a jump. I know we aren't the highest...my DH's folks live outside Chicago and they've been at nearly 8% for a long time now.It was more about enticing folks to buy stuff NOW in an effort to save themselves that sales tax. Just a marketing ploy that someone else is/was trying that was resulting in sales ! (and I'd like to make a show out of it to get some cookware! :D) Retailers who have nothing to do with our back-to-school Tax Free weekend do it all the time! "NO sales Tax Sale!" and they get tons of business that way.Going to work on it tonight and see what happens. Can't hurt, right?

Nearly at 8% for a while? haha, we were at 8.25% for a long time and I was happy with that, then it went up to 9.25% and it was bad but nothing you can do about it right? Well after less than 6 months of 9.25% (which was supposed to be a temporary hike) it went UP MORE to 9.75% A tax-free weekend for us would almost kill any commission we'd make (at least for me since I'm not even to my $15,000 career sales). Wish I could, cuz it sounds like a great incentive!

mrshamel3808 said:
Nearly at 8% for a while? haha, we were at 8.25% for a long time and I was happy with that, then it went up to 9.25% and it was bad but nothing you can do about it right? Well after less than 6 months of 9.25% (which was supposed to be a temporary hike) it went UP MORE to 9.75% A tax-free weekend for us would almost kill any commission we'd make (at least for me since I'm not even to my $15,000 career sales). Wish I could, cuz it sounds like a great incentive!

I can understand that. $100 sale would be $10 in sales tax. That's half your commission....

esavvymom said:
But I also heard on the news last night, that our new budget is likely to be signed, and it will include a 1% sales tax increase- from 6.75% to 7.75%!!! :eek:

that is still lower than the tax for most of my shows. I am doing a catalog show right now that has 10.5% tax. City of Chicago is 10.25%. most cities around here are at least 9%.

I wasn't trying to compare sales tax rates. I know they vary. :D

esavvymom said:
Many states have back-to-school incentives for "Tax Free weekends".
The state of North Carolina's is this August 7-9th this year.

Amazingly, all of us teachers at our school still have our jobs...PRAISE BE! However, I am now wondering if the North Carolina tax increase was in the works all along and they just wanted to get the rumor mill started that we were going to be laid off to scare the bejeebies out of us so the sales tax hike wouldn't seem so bad? KWIM?

At the end of June, we were under the impression that we were going to lose about 1/4 or more of our teachers and our teacher assistants were going to be cut by at least half. We were told yesterday that everyone gets to keep their jobs and they've even hired one teacher. So, makes ya wonder.

Saturday Gourmet said:
Amazingly, all of us teachers at our school still have our jobs...PRAISE BE! However, I am now wondering if the North Carolina tax increase was in the works all along and they just wanted to get the rumor mill started that we were going to be laid off to scare the bejeebies out of us so the sales tax hike wouldn't seem so bad? KWIM?

At the end of June, we were under the impression that we were going to lose about 1/4 or more of our teachers and our teacher assistants were going to be cut by at least half. We were told yesterday that everyone gets to keep their jobs and they've even hired one teacher. So, makes ya wonder.

Glad to hear your job is in tact - hopefully stays that way.

But I do find it interesting that whenever any government is short on cash, which group will automatically suffer first?? The Education System. I think they hold the kids and the Teachers hostage before the taxpayers. It stinks.

Instead of cutting areas that SHOULD be cut first, (and no one wants to be that group of course), they threaten to cut those who educate their future tax base and leaders. Intelligent! :D

What is the purpose of "Increasing Sales Tax"?

"Increasing Sales Tax" refers to the practice of raising the tax rate on certain goods and services. This is typically done by the government to generate more revenue and help fund public services.

What is a "Tax-Free" Weekend?

A "Tax-Free" Weekend is a limited period of time, usually a weekend, during which certain items are exempt from sales tax. This is often implemented by state governments as a way to encourage consumer spending and boost the economy.

What items are typically exempt from sales tax during a "Tax-Free" Weekend?

The specific items that are exempt from sales tax during a "Tax-Free" Weekend vary by state, but they often include school supplies, clothing, and electronics. Some states may also include hurricane preparedness items or energy-efficient appliances. It is important to check with your state's government website for a complete list of eligible items.

Do online purchases qualify for "Tax-Free" Weekends?

In most cases, yes, online purchases are eligible for tax-free status during a "Tax-Free" Weekend. However, some states may have certain restrictions or requirements for online purchases to qualify. It is best to check with your state's government website for more information.

How can retailers prepare for a "Tax-Free" Weekend?

Retailers can prepare for a "Tax-Free" Weekend by ensuring that their systems are updated with the correct tax rates for eligible items. They can also promote the event through marketing and advertising to attract more customers. It is also helpful to have enough staff on hand to handle the increase in customer traffic during the tax-free period.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Fluffy215
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • sburnside