• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating a Social Situation: Party Host Invites Two Different Businesses

In summary, the hostess is planning on hosting two parties at the same time, one with Pampered Chef and one with her own business. The guest who is coming to the party with the hostess is not an acquaintance of the hostess, but is a mutual friend. The hostess is not happy about this, but is going to accept it.
Nep2nfly
:mad:So, I called my hostess for a party coming up in a week and a half. While speaking to her about the menu, etc. she mentioned that she had invited a mutual friend (I don't actually know the host, but the person the host knows is an acquaintance of mine) to bring her "purses" to display at the show. In other words, she is planning on having a 31 party & a Pampered Chef party at the same time. I've never had anything like this happen before. What has your experience been with situations like this? What should I do? I don't want to offend either individual, and I definitely don't want to lose her business as she is the owner of a local business and has tons of contacts. The invites will still go out as PC invites - so customers will expect to be gonig to a Pampered Chef party. What do you think I should do?

I have had that happen before also. Not thrilled with it but they ARE there for a PC show, it is already done, so just be nice and accepting about it. In my experience, IF they say anything it isn't much and your show is still the star. Both times this happened to me it still turned out fine. The first time it was over a $700 show and the second time my host signed up with me. Just roll with it. :)

chefcharity said:
I have had that happen before also. Not thrilled with it but they ARE there for a PC show, it is already done, so just be nice and accepting about it. In my experience, IF they say anything it isn't much and your show is still the star. Both times this happened to me it still turned out fine. The first time it was over a $700 show and the second time my host signed up with me. Just roll with it. :)

Thank you! That's what I was thinking. I didn't make any deal about it on the phone, so she doesn't even know it's a concern. I'm very much hoping for a $700 show.

A gal on my team does these often. Most of the shows the sales are higher for Pampered Chef. However, just like any joint show your host has to really pack the house! Of course, I know you would rather not go through with it and if you could get your host to plan her Thirty-One party for next month that would be awesome. You may want to talk to her again and get her to see how she is self-sabatoging AND setting up her friends.

I'm happy she at least told you about it... when I sold jewelry, I had a lady who had TWO other vendors at her house without telling any of us before hand. I made like $10. It was awful.

That is annoying! I would never do that, I've had a few home parties recently and the consultants have mentioned PC a little but I never try to sell during their show. I have all of it out and serve things but I'm not strewing catalogs all over the place or anything. Half my guests are fellow PCers at some anyway! :) I would try to make the host see it may hurt her sales and she may not get what she wants on her wish list. Then work on her wish list so she see's she shouldn't lose any sales to the other.

I had something similar to a degree happen today. When I confirmed a catalog show and set up to mail out a packet tomorrow. The host decided to say that when she picks her date for a Madison Hand Bag Party that I should come. I told her I would when she picks a date (she caught me off guard, I don't even know her, I only met her at the show she booked off of!) and am secretly hoping by the time she informs me of date I'll have a show booked that day! So now I'm looking for Friday shows in March! LOL I don't mind it but I'm not a fan of Madison Hand Bags too much. I went to a party and to help host I bought the make up bag because it was cheapest item. I didn't like the styles or fabric enough to pay the prices for anything else.

I have to agree, mixing vendors really doesn't do any vendor any good. When someone comes to your party, most of the time, they have a budget in mind of what they want to spend and you don't want that budget to go to another vendor:(
On the other hand, I just went to a 31 party and I love their square tote, it holds/stores the Cool n' Serve PERFECTLY and they embroider for only $6.00! Sorry, I fell off topic:)

p.s. Also, just an fyi, they sell a thermal tote (it was the special at the show I was at) that is almost IDENTICAL to our Mother's day Tote. If you do have your parties together, be sure to bring the Mother's Day flyer to show off the great deal you'll get if you buy it from TPC for $25 (I think they sell theirs for $14.50?? but it doesn't come with all our goodies like the prep bowls, citrus peeler, opener) - Tee Hee

I always look at it as any show is better than no show. Remember 1 show can change you entire business. I have a show coming up and I am doing it with Partylite. The only thing I requested from the host was that she actually allows me to do a show not just rely on guests to go to both vendors. I have done the open house things where you are just set up and people go from display to display and that is a disaster but if you can actually do your thing (FIRST) it should turn out fine. Good luck.

If asked ahead of time, I tell my host that I don't do shows with other vendors. However, if presented the way the OP stated, I wouldn't kick up a fuss. A show is a show.I did a show once where the host's daughter set up a small skin care display to the side and announced as I was collecting orders that anyone who wanted to buy should meet her there. I found it odd that someone would (in my opinion) hijack someone else's show. Still, my sales were good.

My director told me about a show she had just like this.....the other host asked if she wanted to go first. My director was so cool about it. She took her time, cooked her meal, and they were all ordering out of the catalog by the time the other host got up to give her presentation. She said it was a very profitable show and she made the best out of the situation. It was a loss for the other host. Hope this will encourage you.. It can be a blessing in disguise. Good Luck

And remember, customers aren't always stupid either. :) (I say 'always'..hahaha). They'll know a hijack when they see one, and I think that's why often times, the original party-DS person isn't the one left holding the bag with nothing in it- so to speak. Not always, but seems like when I've read the accounts, if the PC consultant's show was hijacked by a guest or a host inviting someone else after the fact, it was the 2nd vendor who faired worse. and let's face it....if you have a budget are you going to spend on food-related products or purses/jewelry (what I'd consider luxury, vs making my meal-prep easier when I'm already way too busy). I'd give the customers some credit. So if you can't do anything about it now, just make the best of it- and make your show one they remember. While I love 31 bags, they are very pricey, and something that is very hard for me to spend that kind of coin on. Others may agree.

My show last night was hijacked by a Cookie Lee rep. My host never said anything to me. Then the jewelry lady had the nerve to ask me to ask the guests to go in the next room to shop her jewelry set-up when I was done with my presentation. There 20+ in attendance and I got about 10 orders. I totally think my sales would have been about double with out her. She was an upper level director, who's been in the biz for a very long time. I just couldn't believe how tacky this was for her to piggy-back on my show.When asked I always tell the host no, but I explain it in a way that shows how they will be affected:"Well Suzy host we could do a double party, but I just want to let you know that in my experience your host benefits will not be nearly as high as when we keep the party just PC. I know how much you really wanted that cookware for free, and I can't wait to help you get it, but realize with a double party people that only have X amount to spend will now be dividing it between 2 product lines making it much harder for us to get you the $650 mark so you can get that cookware plus all the rest of your wish list significantly discounted and free!"Then the host usually say "good point, I'll just keep it PC!"

1. How do I handle a situation where the party host invites two different businesses?

It's important to communicate with the party host and the other business to come to a mutual understanding. Discuss how you can both benefit from the event and how you can work together to ensure a successful party for the host and guests.

2. What if the other business offers similar products or services?

In this case, it's important to differentiate yourself and highlight what makes your products or services unique. Offer a special promotion or exclusive product to entice guests to choose your business.

3. Can I promote my business at the party if I'm not the main business invited?

If you were not the main business invited, it's best to respect the host's decision and not promote your business at the event. However, you can still network and build relationships with guests and potentially gain future business opportunities.

4. How can I ensure a positive and professional relationship with the other business?

Open and clear communication is key to maintaining a positive and professional relationship with the other business. Be respectful of their business and work together to create a successful event for the host and guests.

5. Is it appropriate to discuss pricing and sales with the other business?

While it's important to be aware of the other business's pricing and sales strategies, it's not appropriate to discuss this with them at the event. Focus on promoting your own products and services and let the host and guests make their own purchasing decisions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• completelychristie
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Stephaniem
  • melissaboyd
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • debbieskitchenhelper