• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is the difference between the black and green handle Santoku knives?

In summary, a customer is looking to buy a Santoku knife and wants to know the difference between the black and green handle options. They also inquire about using a meat thermometer for candy. The green handled knives are of lower quality and the meat thermometer is not suitable for candy due to its design. It is recommended to take product classes and use the search engine on the consultant website for more information.
fun2cook2
Good Morning, Everyone!
I have a customer who would like to buy a Santoku knife, but isn't sure if she wants the one with the black handle or the green one. What is the difference between the two?

Also, can the meat thermometer be used for candy?

Thanks so much for your help!

the green handled knives are not as good qualilty--the forged cutlery has a lifetime warranty.the meat thermometer is not meant for candy--nothing to hook it onto the pot with, the plastic would melt that hot, etc.

The PIG (Product Info Guide) says you can use it in scalding milk or fying oil (?surprises me), but it is not meant to be a candy thermometer.

The green knives are pressed stainless steel . They are designed for the person who is the kitchen 1-2 x's a week. The German Forged is heated, hammered steel- more strength, durabilty. They are made for the daily cook. The best thing to do is take the product classes on CC.

well said, loreo.

there is info on the differences between our knife collections behind CC.

DebbieJ said:
there is info on the differences between our knife collections behind CC.
I got a couple of these answers when I first started & it ticked me off because it didn't teach me how to find the answers in the future, it just left me scratching my head and irritated that more seasoned consultants were being vague. It's all about TEACHING them where to go to find the info so that they don't feel the need to come and ask in the future. This forum is for us to help them, not make them feel uncomfortable about asking questions.Fun2Cook2: When you sign in as a consultant, there is a search engine at the top right. Type in info about what you are looking for ... in this case I typed "compare knives" and this link popped up: https://www.pamperedchef.com/images/cc/us/pdf/compare_our_knife_collections.pdfThere are times when it's hard to find what you are looking for using that search engine, but more times than not, it can be a WEALTH of information.When you search for "thermometer", you'll find: https://www.pamperedchef.com/repsonly/product_information/use_care/detail.jsp?productId=27481There are also training videos that you should take to be a well informed consultant. To find those, sign in as a consultant, and on the main screen in the right column, you will see the link (it's the last one). ;)

Thank you so much for your help, Shelia! I was trying to get a quick response and this site has been so helpful as I have started my business. Thank you for taking the time to respond and remembering what is is like being a newbie. (All the info. on each product can be a bit overwhelming. It's why I asked this morning, so I can get back to the customer asap.)

The thermometer had me all confused because of the product information guide. I thought I would ask in case anyone had used it for candy and they were successful. (Silly me!)

You are welcome! I don't make candy, but I've been told that it's not designed for that. ;)

Sheila said:
I got a couple of these answers when I first started & it ticked me off because it didn't teach me how to find the answers in the future, it just left me scratching my head and irritated that more seasoned consultants were being vague. It's all about TEACHING them where to go to find the info so that they don't feel the need to come and ask in the future. This forum is for us to help them, not make them feel uncomfortable about asking questions.

Gee, I thought I was being helpful--telling her where to find the answers. Guess not.

Sheila said:
I got a couple of these answers when I first started & it ticked me off because it didn't teach me how to find the answers in the future, it just left me scratching my head and irritated that more seasoned consultants were being vague. It's all about TEACHING them where to go to find the info so that they don't feel the need to come and ask in the future. This forum is for us to help them, not make them feel uncomfortable about asking questions.

Fun2Cook2: When you sign in as a consultant, there is a search engine at the top right. Type in info about what you are looking for ... in this case I typed "compare knives" and this link popped up: https://www.pamperedchef.com/images/cc/us/pdf/compare_our_knife_collections.pdf

There are times when it's hard to find what you are looking for using that search engine, but more times than not, it can be a WEALTH of information.

When you search for "thermometer", you'll find: https://www.pamperedchef.com/repsonly/product_information/use_care/detail.jsp?productId=27481

There are also training videos that you should take to be a well informed consultant. To find those, sign in as a consultant, and on the main screen in the right column, you will see the link (it's the last one). ;)

As usual, WELL said Sheila ;) :)

Thanks JodiDeb, it's just that sometimes there are answers posted that seem to be more of a "go look it up & quit bothering us" vs. actually teaching them how and where to find the info. The more seasoned consultants understand the lingo and we can be more vague. But that doesn't work as well with brand new people. Look at it this way, if you tell a 7 year old English speaking child or a 20 year old Japanese person "go make a salad", they are (more than likely) very capable of making the salad, but not without further instructions. If they've never seen a salad or they don't understand the language being used, the directive is of no use to them. Phrases like "there is info ... behind CC" is too vague for people who are new to all of this & don't understand that "behind CC" doesn't mean "behind credit card", etc. ;) New people really appreciate specific information on how to follow through with what they need to do. Now that I'm starting to feel like a more seasoned consultant, I hope that I can provide sufficient information to guide them vs. confusing or frustrating them. If I don't have time or the energy to sit & be specific, I just skip the post and let someone else do it. With a 1 year old & a 2 year old in the house, there are quite a few times that I'm just not mentally in a place to help. But I don't worry about it because I know that there are many other seasoned consultants here on the web board who can help. I just remember when I first started & would ask a question here, there were several times that the first response I received was a "go look it up" or "go watch the training videos" answer vs. actually answering the question or telling me how & where to find the answer. :( It was very frustrating back then and I've made it my goal to try and teach new consultants what I can so that they won't feel shunned like I did in the early days.

Sheila said:
Thanks Jodi

Deb, it's just that sometimes there are answers posted that seem to be more of a "go look it up & quit bothering us" vs. actually teaching them how and where to find the info. The more seasoned consultants understand the lingo and we can be more vague. But that doesn't work as well with brand new people. Look at it this way, if you tell a 7 year old English speaking child or a 20 year old Japanese person "go make a salad", they are (more than likely) very capable of making the salad, but not without further instructions. If they've never seen a salad or they don't understand the language being used, the directive is of no use to them. Phrases like "there is info ... behind CC" is too vague for people who are new to all of this & don't understand that "behind CC" doesn't mean "behind credit card", etc. ;) New people really appreciate specific information on how to follow through with what they need to do. Now that I'm starting to feel like a more seasoned consultant, I hope that I can provide sufficient information to guide them vs. confusing or frustrating them. If I don't have time or the energy to sit & be specific, I just skip the post and let someone else do it. With a 1 year old & a 2 year old in the house, there are quite a few times that I'm just not mentally in a place to help. But I don't worry about it because I know that there are many other seasoned consultants here on the web board who can help. I just remember when I first started & would ask a question here, there were several times that the first response I received was a "go look it up" or "go watch the training videos" answer vs. actually answering the question or telling me how & where to find the answer. :( It was very frustrating back then and I've made it my goal to try and teach new consultants what I can so that they won't feel shunned like I did in the early days.

Can I be YOU when I grow up? :D

roflmao2.gif
Sure you can! But it means you would have to come move 1/2 way around the world from your friends/family & live with MY husband!

Sheila said:
Thanks Jodi

Deb, it's just that sometimes there are answers posted that seem to be more of a "go look it up & quit bothering us" vs. actually teaching them how and where to find the info. The more seasoned consultants understand the lingo and we can be more vague. But that doesn't work as well with brand new people. Look at it this way, if you tell a 7 year old English speaking child or a 20 year old Japanese person "go make a salad", they are (more than likely) very capable of making the salad, but not without further instructions. If they've never seen a salad or they don't understand the language being used, the directive is of no use to them. Phrases like "there is info ... behind CC" is too vague for people who are new to all of this & don't understand that "behind CC" doesn't mean "behind credit card", etc. ;) New people really appreciate specific information on how to follow through with what they need to do. Now that I'm starting to feel like a more seasoned consultant, I hope that I can provide sufficient information to guide them vs. confusing or frustrating them. If I don't have time or the energy to sit & be specific, I just skip the post and let someone else do it. With a 1 year old & a 2 year old in the house, there are quite a few times that I'm just not mentally in a place to help. But I don't worry about it because I know that there are many other seasoned consultants here on the web board who can help. I just remember when I first started & would ask a question here, there were several times that the first response I received was a "go look it up" or "go watch the training videos" answer vs. actually answering the question or telling me how & where to find the answer. :( It was very frustrating back then and I've made it my goal to try and teach new consultants what I can so that they won't feel shunned like I did in the early days.

Sheila, you are just amazing! So very helpful and understanding to all us newbies. I have been doing PC a year now but am new to Chef Success and somtimes am like huh?? Everyone on here has been so fantastic but you take the cake...

hug.gif
Awe, thanks! I feel so loved!!!
hearts.gif

Sheila said:

Fun2Cook2: When you sign in as a consultant, there is a search engine at the top right. Type in info about what you are looking for ... in this case I typed "compare knives" and this link popped up: https://www.pamperedchef.com/images/cc/us/pdf/compare_our_knife_collections.pdf

There are times when it's hard to find what you are looking for using that search engine, but more times than not, it can be a WEALTH of information.

When you search for "thermometer", you'll find: https://www.pamperedchef.com/repsonly/product_information/use_care/detail.jsp?productId=27481

There are also training videos that you should take to be a well informed consultant. To find those, sign in as a consultant, and on the main screen in the right column, you will see the link (it's the last one). ;)

This link about the knives is incredible. I just read it all over and it is so helpful. I will be printing it off to put in binder. Thanks again Sheila.

Yes Thank you Shelia for taking the time to explain! I am in my 4th month and sometimes I am reading a post and people use abbreviations and I find myself flipping thru the catalog trying to figure out which product they are talking about!
Everyone is so helpful on here, keep up the good work girl! I love hearing your insite in things...and I think its amazing you are doing it all from Japan! hehe!
~Abigail

punkie1019 said:
This link about the knives is incredible. I just read it all over and it is so helpful. I will be printing it off to put in binder. Thanks again Sheila.

I'm glad the link helped! ;)

abigailhutch said:
Yes Thank you Shelia for taking the time to explain! I am in my 4th month and sometimes I am reading a post and people use abbreviations and I find myself flipping thru the catalog trying to figure out which product they are talking about!
Everyone is so helpful on here, keep up the good work girl! I love hearing your insite in things...and I think its amazing you are doing it all from Japan! hehe!
~Abigail

Thanks! :D

Related to What is the difference between the black and green handle Santoku knives?

What is the difference between a chef's knife and a paring knife?

A chef's knife is a larger, versatile knife with a curved blade that is typically used for chopping, slicing, and dicing larger ingredients such as meats and vegetables. A paring knife is smaller with a straight blade and is used for more delicate tasks such as peeling and trimming fruits and vegetables.

What is the difference between a serrated knife and a straight-edge knife?

A serrated knife has a jagged, saw-like edge that is ideal for cutting through foods with tough exteriors and soft interiors, such as bread and tomatoes. A straight-edge knife has a smooth, sharp edge that is better for precise slicing and dicing of foods with firmer textures.

What is the difference between a stamped knife and a forged knife?

A stamped knife is made by cutting a piece of steel into the desired shape, while a forged knife is made by heating and shaping a single piece of steel. Forged knives tend to be stronger and more durable, while stamped knives are more affordable.

What is the difference between a full-tang and a partial-tang knife?

A full-tang knife has a blade that extends all the way into the handle, providing a stronger and more balanced knife. A partial-tang knife has a blade that only extends partially into the handle, making it less sturdy and potentially unbalanced.

What is the difference between a carbon steel and a stainless steel knife?

Carbon steel knives are made from a high carbon content steel, making them very sharp and able to hold their edge for a long time. However, they are more prone to rust and require more maintenance. Stainless steel knives are more resistant to rust and require less maintenance, but may not hold their edge as well as carbon steel knives.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jkinak
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
missydivine
  • mike nike
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pcsharon1
Replies