• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is It Necessary to Peel the Garlic by Press?

In summary, the conversation is about the use of a garlic press and whether it is necessary or not in cooking. Some people prefer to mince garlic with a knife or food processor, while others find the press to be a time-saving utensil. Opinions vary on whether it adds too much garlic flavor or is a waste of space in the kitchen. Some chefs use it for other ingredients like ginger.
mike nike
Hi all,Sorry for taking up your time. My family has been using the garlic press and it seems to them that they have got used to it. On recent days, when staying at home, I read one magazine on how the garlic press would hurt the fingers. So I felt amazed about how to peel the garlic by press and began to think if it is necessary to peel the garlic by press.I have heard many different opinions about the use of the garlic press from amateur and professional cooks. Alton Brown doesn't use one because a) it's a uni-tasker and b) it leaves too much garlic behind. Americas Test Kitchen uses one religiously, based on it's convenience (I suspect). For years, I have minced countless cloves of garlic with my 5" Global utility knife. I will occasionally throw a few cloves in my Cusinart Mini-Prep, if I have to mince more than two or three cloves. Watching ATK, I feel as though I'm starting to come around to their way of thinking. I'm guessing that for the vast majority of applications, using a press for a clove or two isn't going to make a darn bit of difference in the dish, but it will save me a couple precious prep minutes. But, then again, I hate a uni-tasker. I am interested in hearing opinions about this kitchen gadget from those of you who cook regularly with garlic. Is it something you use or is it a waste of space and just something else to wash? This is the garlic press my family has been using. I am not sure if it would hurt the fingers.
61rwrk3gfvL._SL1000_.jpg

What would you think? Any of your ideas or advice would be highly appreciated.Can anyone help?Thanks in advance

Any ideas or suggestions?

I guess the main reason why chefs don't like GP because the more it gets crushed, the stronger flavor it tastes as it releases more allicin. That being said, garlic press is really time-saving utensil if you want to avoid stinky fingers.

So I am confused by your very lengthy question. Does the garlic press from pampered chef hurt your fingers? Using it with unpeeled garlic? No it doesnt. Do you have to use garlic with the peeling? No you can easily peel garlic. The garlic press minces the garlic in one quick motion. You can use the microplane grater in fine to do the same thing but that gets garlic on your hands and many chefs do the grater way vs the press way simply because most chefs prefer their tools to have more than one purpose. So the garlic press only does garlic but the grater does a lot more stuff. I hope this answers your question otherwise Im just confused lol

I also use my garlic press for ginger, so it does have other uses.

1. Is it necessary to peel the garlic before using a garlic press?

Yes, it is necessary to peel the garlic before using a garlic press. The peel of the garlic can get stuck in the press and affect the texture and flavor of the garlic. It is recommended to peel the garlic cloves before using a press for the best results.

2. Can I use a garlic press without peeling the garlic?

It is not recommended to use a garlic press without peeling the garlic first. The peel can get stuck in the press and make it difficult to use. It can also affect the taste and texture of the garlic. It is best to peel the garlic before using a press for optimal results.

3. What is the best way to peel garlic for using a press?

The best way to peel garlic for using a press is to first break the garlic cloves apart. Then, place the cloves on a cutting board and use the flat side of a knife to gently crush the cloves. This will loosen the peel and make it easier to remove. Once the cloves are peeled, they can be used in the garlic press.

4. Can I use a garlic press for other ingredients besides garlic?

While a garlic press is specifically designed for garlic, it can also be used for other ingredients such as ginger, shallots, and even certain types of herbs. However, it is important to note that the texture and consistency of these other ingredients may not be the same as garlic when pressed.

5. How do I clean a garlic press after use?

To clean a garlic press, first remove any remaining garlic or peel from the press. Then, rinse it with warm water and use a small brush or toothpick to remove any stuck pieces of garlic. For a deeper clean, the press can also be soaked in warm soapy water or run through the dishwasher. Be sure to dry the press thoroughly before storing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • gailz2
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
Replies
Views
Admin Greg