• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Can Opener Glue Harmful? My Party Experience and Thoughts

In summary, HollyGlue said that the glue that comes with thecan opener is not at all toxic, but it can be pulled away from the can like strings or spider webs when the lid is removed.
holly1594
Okay, at one of my PC parties one of the men at my party was loving our can opener until I opened the can......as I am sure all of you have noticed that the opener cuts "through" the seal exposing the glue on the can! He screamed like a girl "what is all of that nasty stuff? omg, it's the glue. That's not healthy at all." Then, with a serious tone, he says "I know that will cause cancer or something..oh that's gross. I wanted one until now. Do you know the effects of the glue if you ate it?" Of course, all I could say was "everything these days gives you cancer. No, I'm not sure what the glue would do to you, but I know PC would not allow us to sell this item if it were a risk to you!"
Everyone there was so silent that you could hear an eyelash fall to the floor!!!! I just picked up and went on. When I was entering my orders at the end of my show, everyone actually seemed to be really concerned about it because they were asking me if it would kill them.
Has anyone every had this problem/question about the can opener??
TIA,
Holly

Glue what glue?? I use mine everyday and have never came across anything seeping out of the can!!:confused: :confused:

Don't tell me it's just ME (that would be my luck)!! Every single can I have ever opened this stringy- yellow glue comes up from the lid and it does not matter what Brand the canned item is. I have to admit it is kinda of gross.

I POINT OUT the string of glue when I open a can at a show. I had a customer who worked for a food safety organization and she said that the glue they use is totally food safe - much safer than the metal shavings you get with a regular canopener! Her comments sold 3 that day and I use her words when showing it now. BTW: I have never seen the glue fall into the food anyway. Don't worry about it.

Also, be careful about making comments like "everything gives you cancer". People look to you as an expert of sorts. A comment like that leaves the impression that it might.

Beth, Thanks for the can opener tip. I usually try to "hide" the whole glue situation, because I have always been scared of what everyone would think. As in this case.About me saying "everything these days gives you cancer." I was just trying to point out how every time you turn around some expert says so-in-so will give you cancer. That is all I meant by that, plus he kind of caught me off guard. I'm sure I looked like a deer in headlights. I will however try to watch what I say, I have never thought about what I said until you pointed it out.
:)

Last night was my first ever "couples show"... there were only a handful of people, but they all wanted the can opener, especially after I asked if they wash the tops of their cans. I didn't even have to finish the line, because one of the GUYS started talking about mice in the warehouses, etc..... lol So, the 2 people who did not already have the opener, bought one ;) AND the strainer, because they need that, too! lol

Am I the only one who has never had glue ooze out of the can after opening it??

I have noticed something like the glue occassionally but it was a small amount. One thought comes to me - any thing that is associated with the packaging of a product is most likely tested before it is allowed to go into the market place. How can they think the glue is going to kill, the glue had to go on to seal the can?

rennea said:
Am I the only one who has never had glue ooze out of the can after opening it??

It doesn't ooze, it pulls away like strings or spider webs when you pull the top off. If you look closely, you'll see it. :)

It's not glue - it is a rubberized sealing compound that manintains the integrity of the hermetically seaed can. The sealer seams to be more obvious from a result of using our can opener rather than from the traditional top-punch opener. In fact, in most cases, it maintains the seal of the can even after our can opener has broken the seal of the steel. You can often see it pulling away from the can a you remove the lid.It is not at all toxic, at least, they tell us that.

can opener..I can't even figure out how to use it :(

It goes on the top of the can, not the side. :p

lizcooks4u said:
I can't even figure out how to use it :(

It should "hook on" when you hold the opener at a 90 degree angle from the can....

I've showed me SIL how to use it a few times, and I think she still doesn't get it!

chef_kimmo said:
I have noticed something like the glue occassionally but it was a small amount. One thought comes to me - any thing that is associated with the packaging of a product is most likely tested before it is allowed to go into the market place. How can they think the glue is going to kill, the glue had to go on to seal the can?

Exactly what I was thinking...The manufacturers or the canners/labelers wouldn't be allowed - especially in USA with all our rules - to use a cancer causing glue in a food product. At least that's what it seems to me. We aren't even supposed to cut the tags off our mattresses!! LOL !~! ~ !

Sometimes I see it and other times I don't see it...
I LOVE the can opener...and most times at my shows someone there has it and loves it...I always try to get someone up to open the can for me since it's one of those things that people have to be 'taught' how to use.

"Got it! Love it!"

I almost always demo the can opener at shows - even if it's just an air demo. And I also let them know that the use and care has pictoral instructions on it to help them remember.

When I first got mine I couldn't figure it out until I pulled out the use and care. Then it was easy. Pampered Chef does everything they can to make our job easy and our customers happy. We just have to read the information they give us.

BethCooks4U said:
I almost always demo the can opener at shows - even if it's just an air demo. And I also let them know that the use and care has pictoral instructions on it to help them remember.

When I first got mine I couldn't figure it out until I pulled out the use and care. Then it was easy. Pampered Chef does everything they can to make our job easy and our customers happy. We just have to read the information they give us.

My SIL still had problems, even by following the U&C card!

jenniferknapp said:
My SIL still had problems, even by following the U&C card!
Some people are more visual and need to be physically walked through the use. That's why I offer to let others use it - and they do if they are thinking of buying it. I also get people who bring theirs to shows and ask how to use it.

Customer care.

I've actually gone to people's homes to do a tutorial on how to use our can opener. I tell people at shows that it's the most hated, then most loved product we sell. I also often tell this story:

I got home from doing a show and had two messages from one of my best buddies. The first one was [in my best reallly annoyed voice], "Okay, I'm an idiot. I can't figure out how to use the stupid can opener. Call me."

Five minutes later, she left this message [in my sweetest voice], "Never mind. I read the instructions and figured it out. I love my new can opener."

Once you learn how to use it, and we all learn in different ways, you will love it, too.

I've never had anyone ask about the sealant, but I knew from something I read somewhere that it wasn't an issue.

I love the can opener! I have noticed a little glue like stuff but not that much.

But here is my question, does he think if you open the can the "other" way that the stuff instantly disappears off the can and is only on our can opener? HAHA!! No logic there!!!
:D

Personally, I don't have a problem with it it is very natural to me! I LOVE it :)

How to use your Can opener
Put can on counter
hold can opener on top of can from 6 to 12 o clock ( straight ahead)
open and close handles
Let go
If your can opener stands on the can you are good to go!
Try it! It works! Lots of can opener challenged people around here!

Are there any tips out there to help the can openers that don't seem to be working well? To sharpen, etc? Please help. Thank you!

It's almost always a required adjustment of the Can-Opener-to-floor interface.

One of my customers says she remembers how to use the can opener by thinking of an aircraft landing on top of an aircraft carrier....sounds corny, but it's worked for me ever since!:D

Thanks Beth :) and other's too!!!I didn't think to check the cust care card, too obvious!!! lol

I'm also happy to see I'm not alone!! Pretty bad however when I the consultant doesn't know how to work things!!; I'm a hands on type of person that learns while watching other's so I"ll have to go try it again with all the GREAT tips here I hope to get it, I"ll definately let y'all know!!

I mostly got it for myself so if / when the power goes out, I can always open my cans!!

liz

BethCooks4U said:

Last edited:
I actually got rid of my electric can opener when I got ours. I love it.

Thi thread is full of canned answers.

Leave it to you to open another can of worms.

I thought it put me in the soup.

Would that be duck soup?

Well, I didn't think it was that fowl.

Jules711 said:
Are there any tips out there to help the can openers that don't seem to be working well? To sharpen, etc? Please help. Thank you!

Since the "pun patrol" is busy taking over this thread, I'll try to answer you question. . . .:p

If your customer has had his/her can opener for a long time it may be worn out. I don't know of any way to sharpen it but I do think they get dull after years of service. It may be time for a new one. If it is new (still under warranty), have them get it replaced.

I think what you are seeing is not glue but the can liner or whatever they coat the inside of the can with. A regular can opener cuts on the inside of the top. Ours cuts below the top edge so it cuts into the liner of the can. I would have had to bite me tongue not to be sarcastic to that guy. "Yes sir, it is highly toxic, even though your green beans have sat in it for months, if you ingest it you will DIE!!!!"

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Well.

EXCUUUUUSE US.

:p

Aww K.G., my mom always said "they wouldn't pick on you if they didn't like you". ;)

regardless of how annoying somepeople think it is, i enjoy your "hijinks and hijacks"... makes me laugh when i'd rather be strangling someone!

Wow! We're entertaining some people and saving others from violence. We're performing a public service. I fell so much better now.

Sarcasm and smartas$ remarks are just two more services we graciously provide.

raebates said:
Wow! We're entertaining some people and saving others from violence. We're performing a public service. I fell so much better now.

How to entertain people and save others from violence...
Sounds like a good session for the CS conference...

That sounds so much better than How to Make Lots of Smart-alec Remarks.

I don't think I can teach anyone to be a smartas$. It seems to just be a natural thing.

In my family we've discovered that the sarcastic and smarta$$ comments can be attributed to SUBS Syndrome, a disease that runs rampant in our family.

SUBS= Sudden Uncontrollable Bursts of Sarcasm

Not only is this disease genetic, it is also highly contagious!!! There is no cure for it, not that we would want to find the cure if there was one.....

*exhale*
ChefNic said:
Exactly what I was thinking...The manufacturers or the canners/labelers wouldn't be allowed - especially in USA with all our rules - to use a cancer causing glue in a food product. At least that's what it seems to me. We aren't even supposed to cut the tags off our mattresses!! LOL !~! ~ ! Sometimes I see it and other times I don't see it...
I LOVE the can opener...and most times at my shows someone there has it and loves it...I always try to get someone up to open the can for me since it's one of those things that people have to be 'taught' how to use."Got it! Love it!"
A mattress will double it's weight in 10 years because of dust mites!! :eek: YUCK!
If you ever saw what was on the top of a soda(beer) can (ANY CAN for that matter), you would NEVER put it to your mouth! :eek:
What about what they spray on fruits/veggies...
One word "teflon".... hysteria
Two words "trans-fat".... a LAW to ban?????!!!!
I am so sorry to all of you (us) who keep getting this kill-roys! :mad:
We are "suppose" to be sum what experts and I don't think that after all these years and all the (crap) can openers out there that cut the seal instead of the lid... that the glue will kill us <-- ok, a bit extreeme.
He should worry about the aspertame in his coffee, phenophal#@#$%$% somethings in soda, preservatives in his sweets or the merry-ad of additives in processed foods.... :( Thanks for letting me spew. :D

ChefNic said:
Exactly what I was thinking...The manufacturers or the canners/labelers wouldn't be allowed - especially in USA with all our rules - to use a cancer causing glue in a food product. At least that's what it seems to me. We aren't even supposed to cut the tags off our mattresses!! LOL !~! ~ !
Consumers are allowed to remove the tags from their pillows and mattresses. The "Do not remove" message is there for retailers and distributors.

Nah-uh. When you tear the "Do Not Remove This Tag" from your matress or recliner, it activates a homing signal in the central office of Homeland Security and you get put on a special "watch" list. Okay, so that darned Mason Conspiracy show ran twice and now I'm more paranoid than ever.

luvs2sellit said:
I think what you are seeing is not glue but the can liner or whatever they coat the inside of the can with. A regular can opener cuts on the inside of the top. Ours cuts below the top edge so it cuts into the liner of the can. I would have had to bite me tongue not to be sarcastic to that guy. "Yes sir, it is highly toxic, even though your green beans have sat in it for months, if you ingest it you will DIE!!!!"
Our can opener releases the glue seal that the manufacturers put the can together with. It does not cut the can. I hadn't heard this can liner theory before...

There should be a conference class on this and cookware and other scares out there so we all can share the facts!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Nah-uh. When you tear the "Do Not Remove This Tag" from your matress or recliner, it activates a homing signal in the central office of Homeland Security and you get put on a special "watch" list.
I would never, NEVER cut the tag from a mattress or pillow! They would come and arrest me for sure (I ALWAYS get caught if I try to get by with anything!:eek: )

SARCASM - my sons have commented that other parts of the state and country don't get it. We are from Milwaukee where it is rampant.

BethCooks4U said:
Our can opener releases the glue seal that the manufacturers put the can together with. It does not cut the can. I hadn't heard this can liner theory before...

From the PC Website
Product Features [return to top]
By cutting the middle of the top rim, sharp edges are eliminated and lid will not fall into can.

luvs2sellit said:
BethCooks4U said:

From the PC Website
Product Features [return to top]
By cutting the middle of the top rim, sharp edges are eliminated and lid will not fall into can.
:confused:

<h2>What is the glue on the can opener?</h2><p>The glue on the can opener is a food-grade adhesive used to secure the blade to the handle and ensure safe and effective use.</p><h2>Is the glue harmful to our health?</h2><p>No, the glue used on our can opener is safe for food contact and does not pose any health risks.</p><h2>Will the glue cause cancer or other health problems?</h2><p>There is no evidence to suggest that the glue on the can opener can cause cancer or any other health problems when used as intended.</p><h2>Does Pampered Chef test the safety of their products?</h2><p>Yes, Pampered Chef has strict safety standards and all of our products go through rigorous testing to ensure they are safe for use in the kitchen.</p><h2>Have other customers expressed concerns about the glue on the can opener?</h2><p>We have not received any reports or complaints about the glue on our can opener. Our customers' safety and satisfaction is our top priority and we stand by the quality and safety of our products.</p>

What is the glue on the can opener?

The glue on the can opener is a food-grade adhesive used to secure the blade to the handle and ensure safe and effective use.

Is the glue harmful to our health?

No, the glue used on our can opener is safe for food contact and does not pose any health risks.

Will the glue cause cancer or other health problems?

There is no evidence to suggest that the glue on the can opener can cause cancer or any other health problems when used as intended.

Does Pampered Chef test the safety of their products?

Yes, Pampered Chef has strict safety standards and all of our products go through rigorous testing to ensure they are safe for use in the kitchen.

Have other customers expressed concerns about the glue on the can opener?

We have not received any reports or complaints about the glue on our can opener. Our customers' safety and satisfaction is our top priority and we stand by the quality and safety of our products.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• milkangel
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • jwagner75