• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is My Can Opener Working Properly?

In summary, the customer's can opener is not working properly and they are not sure how long ago they bought it. The customers have had trouble getting the lid off and the glue in strings has nothing to do with the can opener. The customer's can opener has been working fine for the past three years.
babywings76
Gold Member
I have been wondering for a long time now if my can opener is working properly. I always have a hard time getting the lid to come off. Most times I have to go around 2 or more times. Then when it does come off, it always shows the black/brown/or grey glue in strings as I'm pulling it off. Is this normal? I have always just figured that's what it should be like, but my mom has a non-PC one and it gets lids off with more of the lid area and there's no stringy things. I have no idea how long ago I bought it, so I probably can't do anything about it anyway, but I just thought I'd ask you guys about it.

are you using the grippy teeth on the side to get it off?

etteluap70PC said:
are you using the grippy teeth on the side to get it off?

Yeah, I am. I also have to go in reverse a little bit to release the can opener first.

Hmmmm.... never had that happen. I have had a few customers say they have had the opener for a few years and the cutting disc seems worn out. Are you squeezing it tight?

When you use the teeth to pry it off are you lifting it up or rocking it up and toward the can? I find rocking it works best.

the glue in strings has nothing to do with the opener. It just means that manufacturer used lots of glue!

Different cans have different levels of glue. I find more glue in the summer b/c the cans are warmer?! I don't know why, but more glue in the summer. Maybe you should get your opener replaced, it may be defective. I have NEVER had to go around more than once on a can w/ any of my can openers.

How much of the rim of the lid do your openers cut? Mine seems to only go down a millimeter of the way. Are they supposed to go further down closer to where the lid meets the can?

I have one that I have had about 2 years and depending on the can sometimes I have to go around 3 or 4 times. I always figured it was due to more glue being used. Hmm

babywings76 said:
How much of the rim of the lid do your openers cut? Mine seems to only go down a millimeter of the way. Are they supposed to go further down closer to where the lid meets the can?

They don't go down the can very much at all. It's not actually cutting the can, but breaking the seal of the can...which is why sometimes you see the glue that was used in the sealing process. (Glue which is totally food safe, if anyone is grossed out by that!)

BTW- you souldn't have to go around the can more than once. Sounds like yours are defective.

KellyTheChef said:
BTW- you souldn't have to go around the can more than once. Sounds like yours are defective.

I'm wondering if they wear out. Does anyone think they get "dull" after a few (seven) years of hard work?

I have had mine about 6 years and it works just as it did when I got it!

I had a guest at my last show that said you need to clean the "wheel" with alcohol or "Goo Gone" type products once they begin to stick or require more that one turn of the can. It sounds like a great idea, but I haven't tried it yet.
Deb

Mine is brand new ... I am trying to like it ... trying really hard ....However, I have the same problem prying the lid off ... and if it's a jar of something soupy, like chicken broth, I tend to give up and find another opener.At least I know how to use it now ... I do feel the opener "release" but still can't pry the lid off ... I will try the rocking thing ... thank goodness I haven't needed to display it at any shows.

Do you know that their is a gripper on the side of the opener to lift the lids off? Also some lids have more glue than others requiring you to go around at least twice.

I have had my opener for 5 years and have never had to go arround more than once on any can and have never had an issue getting the lid off as long as I was using the grippers on the side of the can.

Again the people/ customers I know who have had troubble getting the lid off is because they were lifting straight up. Try gripping the lid with the teeth and rock forward and up.

I do have to go around my cans twice sometimes. And the tops are hard to take off. I was wondering about folks with arthritis trying to do what I'm doing.
Maybe I'll try the goo-gone etc.

I have the same trouble... it worked fine for awhile but recently I have to go around several times. And it will "pop" like it is breaking a new area loose. And it is hard to get off - sometimes bending the lid. I guess I'll send mine back, I hadn't thought of that!

1. How do I know if my can opener is working properly?

The easiest way to tell if your can opener is working properly is to see if it easily glides around the rim of the can without any resistance. If you are having to apply a lot of force or the can opener is not cutting through the lid cleanly, it may not be working properly.

2. Why is my can opener leaving jagged edges on the lid?

If your can opener is leaving jagged edges on the lid, it could be due to dull blades. Over time, the blades on a can opener can become dull and may need to be replaced. You can also try sharpening the blades with a can opener sharpener tool.

3. Can I use my electric can opener on all types of cans?

Most electric can openers are designed to work on standard sized cans. However, some models may have trouble with larger or irregularly shaped cans. It's always best to check the product manual or label to see what types of cans your electric can opener is compatible with.

4. How do I clean and maintain my can opener?

To keep your can opener working properly, it's important to clean and maintain it regularly. You can use warm soapy water and a cloth to clean the blades and body of the can opener. Be sure to dry it thoroughly after cleaning. You can also use a food-safe lubricant on the gears to keep them running smoothly.

5. Can I sharpen the blades on my manual can opener?

Yes, you can sharpen the blades on a manual can opener using a can opener sharpener tool. This can help improve the cutting ability of the blades and extend the life of your can opener. However, if the blades are too worn or damaged, it may be time to replace the can opener altogether.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• milkangel
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • Polliewiggle
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
Replies