• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ice Cream Dipper Discoloration - Is There a Solution?

In summary, the customer's ice cream dipper is discolored, and the friend of the customer's has noticed the same issue with their ice cream dipper. It seems that there may be a common issue with these dippers being discolored, though the friend of the customer says that they have had the same dipper for seven years and it has not discolored until recently. Barkeeper's Friend may be able to help bring the color back to the dipper.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
A customer and friend of mine has noticed that her ice cream dipper is discolored. (It's darkened.) Mine (which was given to me by a fellow consultant) is the same way. Is there any explanation for this? Is there any way we can do about it? She doesn't necessarily want to return it, especially if it's going to discolor again.

It happens when you don't dry it right away--something happens to the aluminum. It does not effect performance at all.

Or from the dishwasher.

She doesn't have a dishwasher. I'm not sure what happened. But when I posted this, I saw another thread. They said that I might be able to remove the discoloration if I used silver cleaner or barkeepers friend. I'm thinking that the stainless cleaner might help.

Barkeeper's Friend will work like a dream. Makes it look like new again. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't do it myself.

PampChefJoy said:
Barkeeper's Friend will work like a dream. Makes it look like new again. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't do it myself.

Where can one find Barkeeper's Friend?

I've never heard of Barkeeper's Friend either - very cool that it works!

I think I heard that you can find that at Walmart, but haven't looked for it yet. I have the PC stainless cleaner and it helps, but didn't make it look brand new. Maybe I just have to keep working at it?

Barkeeper's Friend is a powder - like "Comet". Most of us probably use things like Softscrub or the soft Comet now...so look where you'd find the scouring cleaner's like Comet. Comet (powder) or Barkeeper's Friend are pretty much the same thing.

Bar Keeper's Friend and Bon Ami are much gentler than Comet and the like. The grit is much finer and less likely to scratch.

Don't use Bar Keeper's Friend on your faucets though! My late FIL did and it made them dull - my MIL was so mad! My poor FIL he was just trying to help clean for her!

The discoloration is an issue if you have hard water or lots of minerals in yor water. Iron, calcium and sulfer can cause that discoloration. We have city treated water but there is still alot of calcium in it. So, I have an ice cream dipper that is just a smidge off in coloring. And I do usually dry it immediately after washing it. I have had it for 7 years though and until recently I never thought to try anything on it. Now it just looks funky enough to do so. And Barkeepers freind is what was recommended to me as well so...

1. Why is my ice cream dipper changing color?

The discoloration of your ice cream dipper is likely due to a reaction between the metal and certain ingredients in the ice cream, such as vanilla extract or artificial colors. This can cause the dipper to turn a gray or blueish hue.

2. Can I still use my discolored ice cream dipper?

Yes, the discoloration does not affect the functionality of your ice cream dipper. It is still safe to use and will still scoop ice cream effectively.

3. Is there a way to prevent discoloration in the first place?

One way to prevent discoloration is to avoid using metal utensils when scooping ice cream. Instead, try using a plastic or silicone scoop. Additionally, make sure to thoroughly dry the dipper after each use to prevent any lingering moisture that may cause discoloration.

4. How can I remove the discoloration from my ice cream dipper?

To remove discoloration, mix equal parts baking soda and water to create a paste. Apply the paste to the discolored areas and let it sit for a few minutes before scrubbing with a soft brush. Rinse with warm water and dry thoroughly.

5. Will the discoloration come back after cleaning?

It is possible for the discoloration to come back after cleaning, especially if the dipper is used again with ingredients that can cause a reaction. However, regularly cleaning and drying the dipper can help prevent discoloration from returning.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mspibb
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • Amanda_RI
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
heather223
Replies